Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
This is just plain old stupid. Removing the one 3D Touch feature, that many people actually use. And to further that, a 3D Touch Feature that would make so much sense if the rumors of a iPhone 8 without a home button is true.
The iPhone 8 has a home button. There will never be an iPhone made without a home button. Correction, there will be iPhones made without home buttons, but that will not occur until iPhones get brainwave analytics from an ear-worn device which gives thought-based button control rather than physically based.

This removal is likely because Apple has a new methodology for quickly getting to a previous app on the new 2017 iPhone, and they do not want confusion by customers. My guess is the home bar at the bottom will show the previous app icon in the bottom left at times, and therefore this functionality would be far slower.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
Got the developer beta day one but since learning this feature is gone, I'm going back to iOS 10 and staying, at least on my iPhone

Reactions: JayJohnPaul

danielceleste

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
Just to toss in another speculation: what if they removed it because the new iPhone hardware somehow can't support it well (in the case of having an edge-to-edge screen)?

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Just to toss in another speculation: what if they removed it because the new iPhone hardware somehow can't support it well (in the case of having an edge-to-edge screen)?
Combination of that but also offering a better alternative like an on screen multitasking button (see android)

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
If you want that functionality you can kind of duplicate it by turning on assistive touch and setting the 3D Touch function to multitasking.

Bonus is you can set assistive touch to dock where you want... for those who wanted to be able to 3D activate multitasking on the right.

Reactions: Shirasaki

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
One has to wonder if they couldn't implement the 3D touch technology with the new OLED screens, or screen-fingerprint reader, or what-ever-it-will-be-iPhone-8-technology.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I found it simultaneously a bit awkward to trigger on purpose and way too easy to trigger by accident in games that use left edge of screen touch controls. Try playing Inks (the paint pinball game) under iOS 10 without occasionally breaking into the task manager while holding a ball on the left flipper.

Reactions: Vanilla35

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
In my experience with friends who have iPhones with 3D Touch: most have no idea this gesture even exists, then once shown, they find it hard to do either because of how they hold the phone or because they have a case that makes it harder to trigger.

So I'd guess that the percentage of people using this feature is very low (but it's a shame for the people who are using it, because I'm sure they use it constantly!).

Reactions: Cayden

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
In my experience with friends who have iPhones with 3D Touch: most have no idea this gesture even exists, then once shown, they find it hard to do either because of how they hold the phone or because they have a case that makes it harder to trigger.

So I'd guess that the percentage of people using this feature is very low (but it's a shame for the people who are using it, because I'm sure they use it constantly!).

I totally agree with this. Most people have no idea this feature exists but it's honestly one of the only 3D Touch features I even use. It makes using the 7+ with one hand much easier as I don't have to reach back to the bottom of the screen to open up multitasking or even to go to the homescreen

Reactions: Feyl and SoN1NjA

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
This reminds me one thing:
iOS 9 beta 2 had a feature similar to current 3D Touch trackpad on non force touch device using two fingers. That feature was removed in next beta and Apple said it was removed intentionally.
This one is similar, albeit it is an official feature in iOS 10, or even 9.
Therefore I guess a new hardware feature will be implemented on either edition iPhone or even regular iPhone, or just forget it altogether.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston

I will be absolutely infuriated beyond belief if CASES are the reason this goes away. Cases are cancer.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
As 9to5Mac said, this is probably a power user guesture, but damn is it useful

Was one of the big things I miss when I used a device without 3D Touch

Always thought the full swipe was too hard, but I would just press on the left to open multitasking quickly

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I also never use it because it's on the wrong side for me. I hold my phone with my right hand, and my thumb can never reach that left side.

However with the new iphone having no home button at all, isn't it safe to assume that they're implementing it in a different way that is easily accessible to everyone regardless of the way you're holding it? It's probably not in the beta yet cuz they want to reveal it along with the new iPhone

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
This reminds me one thing:
iOS 9 beta 2 had a feature similar to current 3D Touch trackpad on non force touch device using two fingers. That feature was removed in next beta and Apple said it was removed intentionally.
This one is similar, albeit it is an official feature in iOS 10, or even 9.
Therefore I guess a new hardware feature will be implemented on either edition iPhone or even regular iPhone, or just forget it altogether.
Sold my iPad, so cannot check,, but pretty sure that is how it still works on iPad.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
But why remove something from an iPhone that wont have the iPhone 8 functionality anyway
While I do not regularly wear a tinfoil hat, it seems like Apple is constantly making software changes that require extra use of the home button. Conspiracy theorists might postulate that this indicates Apple's desire to have users wear out their home buttons, even their phones, prematurely.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
While I do not regularly wear a tinfoil hat, it seems like Apple is constantly making software changes that require extra use of the home button. Conspiracy theorists might postulate that this indicates Apple's desire to have users wear out their home buttons, even their phones, prematurely.

The iPhone 7 has so physical home button that could wear out ;)

Reactions: T-Will
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.