Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I have a feeling Apple knows very well how much people use certain UI behaviours from their analytics data (from those who send).

I for instance never use this particular feature/function. It isn't very obvious or quick or reliable compared to double-pressing the home button for me.

I'd probably get more use out of it if it worked on the right side, since that's where my thumb is normally resting. I have no digit normally resting anywhere near the left side. On a Plus-sized phone especially the left side is almost impossible to reach if you're right handed (like me) and hold and use the phone with your right hand.

Chalk this one up as one that benefits the lefties for a change. Perhaps that's why it's been (if it has) under-utilised.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhfenton

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
I have a feeling Apple knows very well how much people use certain UI behaviours from their analytics data (from those who send).

I for instance never use this particular feature/function. It isn't very obvious or quick or reliable compared to double-pressing the home button for me.

I'd probably get more use out of it if it worked on the right side, since that's where my thumb is normally resting. I have no digit normally resting anywhere near the left side. On a Plus-sized phone especially the left side is almost impossible to reach if you're right handed (like me) and hold and use the phone with your right hand.

Chalk this one up as one that benefits the lefties for a change. Perhaps that's why it's been (if it has) under-utilised.
I think the reason why people don't use this feature because they don't know it is exists.

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
I didn't even know about it. Just tried it now on my phone which is still on ten and it only works in portrait mode. Meh on that. I use my devices in landscape mode 95% of the time.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Goes to show how different use cases are. I never ever use my phone in landscape unless i am watching a video. The keyboard alone would drive me bonkers
Same here. I use my iPad Air 2 in landscape most often, but my iPhone 7 is 95% a portrait device (exceptions: video, camera, landscape games, occasional websites in Safari).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.