Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rymack

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Question for all you iPad owners...

I am in awe of this thing (played with one for a bit at FutureShop) and I am seriously considering getting one to complement my upcoming iMac purchase. After having fallen in love and amazement with it, plus reading this thread and seeing that actual users are loving it, it sems like a no-brainer for me. My question is, how are you all finding the storage situation? I am contemplating the 16gb Wi-Fi, but my iPod touch is only 16gb, and is half full with a fair amount of my iTunes library, a few apps, and some photos. (I don't use my iPod touch for e-mail, videos [other than using the built-in YouTube app] or many photos). However, I know I will want to use the iPad for all of those things, plus the amazing apps, and everything else it has to offer (especially considering how much easier it will be to sync the iPad with a new computer, and not my current dinosaur...). I also want to be able to load Keynote presentations created on an iMac to then show in class from my iPad. Will 64gb even be enough?? What your thoughts? You are all the experts, after all!;)

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Early WiFi Adopter. Completely satisfied, haven't regretted not buying the 3G.

I just read Instapaper for 45 minutes and Wired for an hour and my battery is at 98%, WiFi turned-off!

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
I'm pretty happy with it now, still need to put more movies and photo's on, but when adding photo's is it possible to have iphoto's on it and other albums from other files on my computer? every time i try and add more photo's, the iphoto's get deleted.

I'm also not on the internet with it at the moment so i can't really use a lot of my apps.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
Yes, so far I am, I think the only problem I can find with it is that the stupid USB cable isn't very long so I can't charge while using my iPad, then again the battery is so good that in 12 hours of use so far I've only lost 50% battery so I've not needed to charge it lol

p-rice

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Las Vegas
I wasn't satisfied in the games department. Too much crappy games coming from Gameloft. The 3d engine they use is so generic looking. Playstation 1 games looked better. However, drawing on the iPad completely overshadowed all the bad though. If the iPad only had one app and that's the SketchBook Pro, I think that alone makes it worth the 500 bucks I spent on this device. It's that serious. I think I have a found a new hobby of mine.

jcmc

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
I have been pretty pleased with mine so far and as an earlier poster said, updates on OS 4 and especially multitasking will help fix a few of the niggles.

I struggle a little bit with propping it up to watch movies and the likes but this is down to the absence of much in the way of accessories in the UK, so this will be resolved too.

Battery life and the screen are revelations. I'm actually finding it easier to type on than I thought too, I simply put it in landscape mode and use a glasses case to tilt the top towards me a bit and I can batter away pretty quickly on it.

The cost to this is my iPhone, now pretty neglected apart from the odd call, text and use as an iPod.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I've had two and the screens in both have been faulty - first one dust and the second a weird bright white dot which may be a dodgy pixel. It's going back tomorrow.

So awesome gadget but build quality suspect and suffering from huge demand caused by the usual Apple hype. They don't really give themselves a chance.

I'll still persevere and try and get a decent one but I'm getting a bit fed up now I have to say. The thrill has gone (as BB would say!).

martynmc7

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
My question is, how are you all finding the storage situation? I am contemplating the 16gb Wi-Fi, but my iPod touch is only 16gb, and is half full with a fair amount of my iTunes library, a few apps, and some photos

I got the 16GB version and the storage situation has been okay so far. My reasoning was that I wasn't going to put any music on it as I use my iPhone for music, which is also 16GB, and has plenty of apps on there, with about 70% of the space being taken up by music.

One thing to bear in mind is that the apps seem to need lots of support files as I have approximately 2.6GB of 'other' on the iPad, which I can only presume is the OS and app support files. Also, if you want movies at full resolution they're likely to be aroun 2-3GB each.

I'd say 16 GB is plenty if you don't mind moving things like movies off and on the device, but I may get a few months down the line and wish I'd gone with the 32GB model.

Mrrikki

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
I got the 16GB version and the storage situation has been okay so far. My reasoning was that I wasn't going to put any music on it as I use my iPhone for music, which is also 16GB, and has plenty of apps on there, with about 70% of the space being taken up by music.

One thing to bear in mind is that the apps seem to need lots of support files as I have approximately 2.6GB of 'other' on the iPad, which I can only presume is the OS and app support files. Also, if you want movies at full resolution they're likely to be aroun 2-3GB each.

I'd say 16 GB is plenty if you don't mind moving things like movies off and on the device, but I may get a few months down the line and wish I'd gone with the 32GB model.

Same here 16gb iPhone did not want all my music on this, after 4days 4.5gb free and I need more; spoke to Apple today and swapping this for a 32gb one now.

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
I wasn't completely satisified until this weekend when I picked up an apple wireless Bluetooth keyboard. Now I am 100% satisfied.

I owned the 2007 Apple wireless keyboard with my iMac. But my 27 inch iMac I opted for the wired keyboard since it had a numerical keyboard. I wished apple would make a wireless keyboard with numerical keyboard.

Anyways so I picked up the 2009 version of the apple keyboard. It feels much lighter than my 2007 keyboard. Maybe cause it has 2 batteries instead of 3.

So while I can type about 30 words a minute with the touchscreen. I have the option of typing 80 words per minute with my wireless keyboard if this iPad.

I have been on business trips the past two weekends with just my iPad. It took me a while to type long important emails to clients. Now I will just bring my wireless keyboard in my briefcase and type away.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe you. But I'm still shocked to see so many people struggling with typing at similar speeds on this wonderful keyboard. I'm just shy of 100 wpm. On physical keyboard I'm just over 100 wpm, so I'm not much slower with the virtual keyboard. I really do think this is one of the best keyboards I've ever typed on. It just feels really natural and easy. If the iPad was slow and made the keyboard laggy, then that would be different.

I think this keyboard is a dream, and I'm rattling out long mails, reports and I've typed 1.5 chapters of a book. I don't really type in portrait (although I often use the iPad in portrait for many tasks) but that would be the only way to signifcantly slow the typing in my case. What is it that's causing yourself and others to be slowed down so dramatically? Are you uncomfortable? Are mistakes slowing you down?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.