Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yeah that was ridiculous. I never said i wasn't buying anything. There are few products Apple has made since the IIe that I have not purchased. But let's call a spade a spade. The quality is NOTHING like it was in the late 90's early 2000's Ive era. And as for "on the internet".... Product reviews are a thing. Now lets use your logic. The next time you need to hire someone to be around your children or someone you know. Hire a pedophile! "After all, the only way you know something is wrong with them is because, 'someone else said it'. but hey, you need someone to watch your kids and a babysitter fits your lifestyle.
Sorry the analogy is flawed. And to be clear us “psycophants”, the ad-hom I ignored previously, are why apple is a three trillion dollar company.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allen_Wentz

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Tim Cook is the problem he has taken his eyes of the prize and stuck his nose into too many things that do not concern Apple .
Perhaps you should look at what Apple has done since Cook: become the largest and highly profitable firm making superb products in a highly competitive industry, worldwide. Duh.

Note that to the extent any CEO can work to improve diversity and environmental responsibility that is a good thing, not "...taken his eyes of the prize and stuck his nose into too many things that do not concern Apple."

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Yea ever since Forstall got canned there's been a dip in software quality IMO. So many basics are missed too but this is what happens when you hire college grads who can pass leetcode interviews instead of experienced devs.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Yes, software-quality has gotten noticeable worse. Maybe as software has gotten more complex, so there’s an excuse for that. (OTOH there are much more people working at apple nowadays). But it’s no excuse for lacking software design (e.g. the now completely overstuffed iOS settings; hidden but essential features you won’t discover on your own; buttons that look like text…).

Hardware is still good from a manufacturing quality perspective, but has also taken a nosedive over the last 15 years when it comes to repairability, pricing and expandability. (e.g.: break the USB-plug of a homepod mini and the whole unit needs to be replaced - unless you repair it yourself. That’s some user- and environmentally hostile design)

Imho the value of apple stuff has thus decreased significantly over time.

AdamBuker

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
You can tell the post Apple Watch users. Pick up an old iBook or PowerBook G4 and let me know how reliable it is compared to what we have today.
I have a an early 2005 15” PowerBook G4 that still runs as well as it did when new. Certainly battery tech and the internet have long passed it by, but it is still a good machine that I use regularly. While I plan to get either the 15” Macbook Air or the 14” Macbook Pro at some point, I have no complaints about any of the Macs I owned from the late PowerPC era. I even have a dual core PowerMac G5 that I use almost daily alongside my M1 Mini. (It’s frankly hilarious to me that both of them have 16 GB RAM)

My Intel macs have been more if a hit or miss for me. The 2007 mini was crap. I briefly used a 2008 Macbook that developed cracks in the case and struggled with software that worked perfectly fine on my older macs. My 2009 and 2010 Mac Minis were great machines that I used up until I switched to my M1 mini.

On the software side of things, I think the UI/UX has noticeably declined since Leopard/Snow Leopard. I say this as someone who uses Leopard and Sonoma on a daily basis. I prefer the customization, functionality, interactivity of Dashboard compared to the way widgets are handled currently in Sonoma. Spaces and expose worked better for me when they were separate features instead of mashed together in Mission Control. While I don’t mind the idea of remaking System Preferences into something that is more consistent with iOS and iPadOS, the jumbled mess of organization is infuriating at times. However I do miss Dark Mode and control center on my older Macs.

As far as iOS, the only features post iOS 6 that I use are control center, multi-pane folders, airdrop, and dark mode. Continuity has never lived up to its promise, iCloud isn’t as reliable as it should be. I think Apple’s push into services is starting to tar my experience as it feels like it’s becoming just another company that wants subscription revenue along with all the rest.

Reactions: macsforme

AdamBuker

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
Yeah that was ridiculous. I never said i wasn't buying anything. There are few products Apple has made since the IIe that I have not purchased. But let's call a spade a spade. The quality is NOTHING like it was in the late 90's early 2000's Ive era. And as for "on the internet".... Product reviews are a thing. Now lets use your logic. The next time you need to hire someone to be around your children or someone you know. Hire a pedophile! "After all, the only way you know something is wrong with them is because, 'someone else said it'. but hey, you need someone to watch your kids and a babysitter fits your lifestyle.
I swear the Apple IIe is the most rock solid thing Apple has ever released. I have my platinum IIe from elementary school and it still works like a champ. I’m using it for writing.

Reactions: Boyd01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.