Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Imo, “Just works” applies today as it did years ago......
I remember listening to a podcast (John Gruber's I think) and he and his guest (I forget who. Maybe Dalrymple) were talking about this very subject and one of them questioned whether it was Apple's quality that was taking hits lately or were the bugs & such proportionally still the same as before but were becomming more noticeable as more and more people bought Macs/iPhones/iPads.

In thinking about it some more I think maybe that's might be what's going on. That the ammount of bugs hasn't increased but rather the people that notice them are.

Reactions: SDRLS and I7guy

TravelerDave

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2018
I haven't noticed that Apple's hardware quality has decreased. However, I sometimes disagree with the materials Apple uses -- such as titanium. The software is more buggy but it's also more complex
Is the complexity worth the loss of reliability? I agree the software is much more complex and I now see reliability issues pop up more often in core software - Safari, Mail, etc. Is incorporating every clever feature worth losing the solid core of reliability that Apple had going for a long time? Windows always tried to be all things to everyone and can be an unreliable mish-mash. Apple seems headed the same way.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I think their hardware is great except the continual removal of any way to modify or repair without taking the device back to apple. We can’t even upgrade RAM now… forget about SSD replacement or upgrade.

I think the advice is not to buy Mac if you want to upgrade it in any way.

As for their software… it’s been better for sure. But for the most part it runs fine and I'm glad they still support Intel Macs for now.

Their environmental commitments will be for nothing if they don’t support Intel macs at least another year or two.

Reactions: SDRLS

tcatsninfan

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2022
I have to disagree with the OP here. I've been using Apple products for 15-20 years and haven't noticed a decline in quality, either in terms of hardware or software.

Some people say there are software issues, but I dunno. I haven't had any issues with my iPhone, MacBook, or HomePod Mini. Maybe I don't do a lot of complicated things with them and that's why I haven't noticed anything? Again, I dunno.

Hardware wise, I would say that it's unfortunate that we can't upgrade parts of MacBooks anymore but my M2 Air is the best laptop I've ever used.

Think of all the hardware problems we've had in the past that are now gone. Antennagate. Hinge issues. The butterfly keyboard. I would say Apple hardware is better now because those things are gone.

I guess my only real complaints are that Siri isn't very good, and Apple hasn't "wowed" me with anything since the M1 came out. Overall, though, I'm really happy with where things are.

Reactions: decafjava

matthew_sorensen

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2023
You can’t be serious did u even used those software because they were way better than now
iOS 8 was terrible. It was the first time I got a BSOD on my iPhone. I know other users have expressed this sentiment here as well, but I feel like ever since Scott Forstall was ousted, software quality has gone down. It literally started with iOS 7, and OS X Lion. Which, by the way, was Craig Federighi‘s first time taking charge of the Mac OS team after Bertron Serlet left. Rene Ritchie said in one of his videos that Scott did not think that iOS needed any more new features after iOS 6 because iOS did not need to be complicated, and he didn’t want features like AirDrop. Rene then goes on to say that it was Craig that was advocating for those features. He doesn’t outright say it, but I feel like Rene kind of implied that, “Yeah, software may have some problems as a result of being complicated, but at least we have more features.” I feel like that mindset is flawed given the fact that Apple likes to say that they make the hardware, operating system, and software. And when it’s constantly glitchy year after year, it gets a little old. And one last thing, I’m not saying the software was perfect under Scott either, but I have absolutely noticed a difference since Craig has taken over.

END RANT

Reactions: AppleMatt

Sport92

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2021
Everything I currently own feels up to par with Apple products I have owned in the past. Started with a 5th Generation iPod in 2005 and then I eventually bought a MacBook Pro and iPhone 4 in 2010. I have been 100% Apple since.

My M1 Air, 13 Pro, Apple TV, Airpods, and HomePods all work perfectly fine. I do acknowledge they are not the newest models, though.

Unless things have changed in the past year or two, I don’t see any difference.

J.A.K.

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2023
I find syncing to be one of the worst issues I face. Music, for instance, and playlists. Pretty much any time I add a song to a playlist, every other device makes a +1 copy of the playlist so I have to manually go to those devices, add the song to the original playlist, and delete the new one.

Or Calendar. I am constantly having to go back and remove the default alert on my calendar entries. It's like Apple either thinks it knows what I want better than I do and so constantly overrides my choices, or some syncing issue somewhere is rewriting them back to some default version. It's so frustrating.

And then there's just the random resetting of settings. I'll suddenly wonder wtf something isn't working the way I expect it to and go into settings, which itself these days is a convoluted and unintuitive nightmare of seemingly endless digging, only to find Apple has decided I'm better off with some different setting I've reset a dozen times before to something I actually want.

And yeah, I've given up on Siri. I have to speak so clearly and slowly for anything to have even a half decent chance of working that I find it easier to do whatever I was going to do with it manually.

I really want Apple to take a step back, breathe, and stop developing a thousand useless features and actually concentrate on making core features work well, or just work at all. Apple is supposed to be the company of 'ease of use' not 'a bajillionty options that make everything so much harder and crappier'.

Windows has that market cornered.

ateslik

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2008
No. The M series hardware is the best they’ve ever made, by a long shot. The software has some bumps in the road, but does way more than previous versions. Those bumps are addressed far more quickly than windows or linux.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Apple needs to pay more attention to its iPhone business as that’s over 50% of its business. People don’t upgrade as often when there aren’t enough worth while features and new hardware
I give Apple credit as its products work seamlessly with everything else
QC has improved in recent years
But there’s always room for more

Reached

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
You can’t be serious did u even used those software because they were way better than now
The software also did way less. More features = more bugs, and this, combined with the fact that there are a ton more Mac and iPhone users than previously, has led to a significant increase in user-reported issues and a greater demand for technical support.

Abdichoudxyz

Suspended
May 16, 2023
It's very important to understand that most of the opinions on here are based on individual experience, rather than a more global consensus. The fact Apple are doing so well, shows it's doing something right, regardless of what some individuals might think. It's rise as a company to having a teeny fraction of the market share, to being one of the biggest players, is evidence of its success.

Anecdotally, amongst all computer users I've known, those with Apple products tend to moan a lot less. They tend to have far less issues. Windows isn't that bad these days, but I remember the olden days, and people actually in tears because of some Windows related issue. Many of those issues were what forced many people to stump up and buy Apple products instead. I've owned Windows machines as well, and I'll never go back unless forced to. Apple has become synonymous with quality and easy of use, and this is borne out by global experience. The fact that other manufacturers have been forced to copy Apple, speaks volumes.

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017
The M2 MacBook Air is certainly a design fail. Taking the M1 with a 13.8-watt TDP and decent heat spreader to a 20-watt M2 with a thin piece of graphite foil was idiotic. Then layer on making the base SSD configuration run at half the speed of the prior model. One can only hope that Apple takes the lessons from the tepid M2 MacBook Air sales to heart and properly handles the M3 MacBook Air design. It seems likely at this point that we will see the base memory bumped to 12Gb but marketing seems to wag the dog too much internally so that I have doubts about the base storage being properly addressed.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple needs to pay more attention to its iPhone business as that’s over 50% of its business. People don’t upgrade as often when there aren’t enough worth while features and new hardware
People aren’t upgrading because apple makes its products last. My Xs Max is still going strong and although I was promised a new shiny 15PM for a holiday gift I may wait until next year. Many people I know don’t upgrade their TVs or Cars or Bluetooth headphones every year.
I give Apple credit as its products work seamlessly with everything else
QC has improved in recent years
But there’s always room for more
Of course. The saying perfection is the enemy of great applies.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Gonna have to disagree, mostly. Hardware quality is impeccable. I have a $1600 windows laptop (2023 model), the trackpad “clicks” when you just tap it (not the hinge, it is just poorly secured to the frame) Sleep mode is still a tossup on windows whether you will open the screen to 100% battery or zero. Screen is acceptable, but my M1 14” looks way better in every aspect. Oh, and I forgot - the M1 is silent 95% of the time, unless I am really pushing it. The windows machine cranks the fans for opening 1 too many chrome tabs. And battery life is anywhere from 1.5 - 10 hours. On my MBP I know I can reliably get 6-7 hours even when doing heavy tasks.

Now on the software side, I really have no issues with Apple’s own apps. The biggest problems for software for me have been just inconsistencies in the developer tooling over the past few years. Things that worked in iOS 10-16 suddenly are broken in iOS 17. I get Apple only wants the latest and greatest in the app store, but basically all this is doing is forcing all developers to subscription pricing models. I remember a day back in the 90’s when you could take a floppy disk with software from 10 years ago, and it would still run on Windows 98. I’d guess there are exactly zero apps from iOS 2.0 that would run on iOS 17 today without changes.

anevab26

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2018
I have to disagree with the OP here. I've been using Apple products for 15-20 years and haven't noticed a decline in quality, either in terms of hardware or software.

Some people say there are software issues, but I dunno. I haven't had any issues with my iPhone, MacBook, or HomePod Mini. Maybe I don't do a lot of complicated things with them and that's why I haven't noticed anything? Again, I dunno.

Hardware wise, I would say that it's unfortunate that we can't upgrade parts of MacBooks anymore but my M2 Air is the best laptop I've ever used.

Think of all the hardware problems we've had in the past that are now gone. Antennagate. Hinge issues. The butterfly keyboard. I would say Apple hardware is better now because those things are gone.

I guess my only real complaints are that Siri isn't very good, and Apple hasn't "wowed" me with anything since the M1 came out. Overall, though, I'm really happy with where things are.

Eh..Wallpapers should load when you select Wallpaper. Seems like they don’t care more than the complexities of tackling having wallpapers there when you open Wallpapers in settings.

Attachments

• IMG_0442.png
    IMG_0442.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0441.png
    IMG_0441.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 41

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
On one hand I agree, because Home and Siri are extremely buggy with constant conflicts. On the other hand, I think Mac OS has become extremely stable and snappy. I work with multiple drafting and rendering applications and everything keeps getting better.

I do wish apple home was better. Everything will be working fine, but then say my wife streams music from her phone to the HomePods that are synced to the TV, well after that I will have to reset them to get them to pair to the tv again. Or if I ask the mini in the office to play something g by voice, then try to use it later as the default option for my Mac, it just spins and says can’t connect. These problems are consistent, not intermittent, and that is a crime because I assume apple has people dedicated to fixing this kind of stuff.

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Both software and hardware have taken a hit. I've caught myself googling whether the next major iOS release is good on my iPhone model, whether the new iPhone has any launch day or early batch issues, etc. - something you simply didn't have to do before unless you were one of those paranoid people.

With software, functionality that's important to me has been broken on a release iOS version embarrassingly often and you have to wait for the next update or two, and with hardware, in Europe we don't get to just return opened devices like you can within 14 days in the US. Had to turn in a 2-day old iPhone 15 to get serviced for 40 days because something was broken on it right out of the box and getting a replacement is just not a thing in countries that don't have official Apple Stores, we don't even get the benefits we pay for with Apple like good support (which has also worsened - no chat option now, and no social media).

But a lot of this perception is also that Apple was the only one doing quality-feel hardware and software while Android/Windows brands had crappy plastics and low resolution screens. Nowadays competing hardware is built the same or better, which makes the iPhone feel not as 'wow' in comparison. Software also does the same thing in very similar ways and are equally as beautiful, responsive, and pleasant to use.

Still, I do not see another brand providing the same quality apart from Google and Razer on Win/Android, and their pricing is similar to Apple's. So I just rather go with Apple for now. The moment this balance changes and Apple products' value doesn't match up, I'll switch. $999 from Apple and $999 from Google comes in cheaper in Europe because Google prices at 999 Euro while Apple will do 1199 with the real conversion rate and add some padding on that which already makes them a worse value than others for us. Most europeans don't have any special feelings towards Apple and more people around me than ever have started harboring some negative feelings about it after the painful recent price hike and worsening of the value, since that price hike on the iPhone 14 was "unwarranted" in Europeans' mind because it was the same thing as the 13. There's always been people who dislike Apple, but never more than now.

The 15 is bearable, but certainly the creakiest and most "hollow" feeling iPhone I've had ever, and the 14/16 inch MacBook Pros also feel not as solid to me in comparison with the touch bar generation. Many people who have handled my iPhone 15 tell me it feels like a flimsy clone of an Apple device. Unfortunately didn't get to feel the iPhone 15 before purchasing it as I trusted it should not be a downgrade from the 13 and there's no returns here if you have opened the box. But at least now I know that Apple has turned into every other brand, and that I can't trust them to be consistent with quality, so from now on I'll know to feel an Apple device before I buy.

Always been Apple's approach. Both software and hardware design is backed by so much research to make it as appealing as possible. Keeping the same design around makes older devices keep their value for longer, the supply chain is optimised. The iPhone 13 and 14 look absolutely identical, but they literally had to reengineer the whole iPhone again to make it more repairable than iPhones have ever been. I appreciate changes like these and that is amazing progress. Pointless if they keep locking parts to the serial so you can't even repair it. But progress nonetheless.
Compared to America, or UK, or Hong Kong, I agree that lots of Europeans strongly dislike Apple, and mostly because of how overpriced their products are in that territory. It feels unjustified when compared to US/HK pricing, and it's even higher than the UK, which is already miles above US/HK.

Reactions: applepotato666

Argon_

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020

I think apple has gone a long way to right the ship since the days of portable stoves and Catalina kernel panics. I remember my Intel MBP that would alternate between frying itself, locking up, black screening, or randomly dropping clocks back to 2005 speeds. A long way for sure.

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
Compared to America, or UK, or Hong Kong, I agree that lots of Europeans strongly dislike Apple, and mostly because of how overpriced their products are in that territory. It feels unjustified when compared to US/HK pricing, and it's even higher than the UK, which is already miles above US/HK.
Yeah, I mean it's not hate as much as not resonating with the brand. Most can afford it and especially on a plan, but it just makes no sense to when you can spend less and get essentially the same thing with a different logo. Apple no longer has a build quality/OS advantage (both of which have gotten worse as most on this thread agree), nor the ecosystem one because the reality is that most people nowadays just use their phone for everything, also in Europe not many are buying MacBooks anyway. Which is a shame, I think the M1 Air provides the best value in personal computing, it's really the most reasonable Apple has ever been. But this stigma is attached to the whole brand unfortunately and people automatically see them as something that's not worth it/unreliable/expensive to repair. There's actually a super huge misconception about Macs in Europe that they become "slow to use" 2 years in like an iPhone, and that you can't download stuff from the internet - essentially that they're locked down the same ways iPhones are, that you have to get stuff from the App Store only. That it has no file system, or as they say it has no "My Computer like Windows does". I always have to explain to people that it's not true and that Macs actually whine less than Windows when you're doing computer stuff on them.

Apple has a long way to go in Europe but unfortunately they seem super detached from us as a market. It's almost like they're saying "Okay, you don't like us - we won't do anything about it". Which is the opposite of what corporations aim to do usually. Or just think they’ve reached some optimal level here and have settled, which is false. They have brand misconceptions to beat.

Last edited:
Reactions: ric22

nmart1214

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2017
Most people also don’t power cycle devices every once in a while. Yeah, when your device has been on for months-years straight it’s gonna have problems. But people are so afraid of their devices dying that they keep them on constantly.

I’m not saying bugs don’t exist, but I’m multi ecosystem and my Apple stuff works WAY better than my Windows and Linux devices. I don’t have to play with clock speeds and power management just to keep those stupid intel CPUS from cooking the surface of the planet or crashing entirely. Not that everyone deals with those issues, but I don’t have them on my Apple stuffs.

JUMA55

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
I got into the Apple game later than many of you—2001 for an iPod and 2007 for a white MacBook. Since then I’ve owned several iPods, four iMacs, one Mac Mini, six iPads, nine iPhones, two original HomePods, one HomePod Mini, at least eight Apple TVs, two Apple Watches, etc., and this doesn’t include the equipment used by my wife or son. On a scale of one to 10 I rate the hardware a nine and the software about a seven.

I don’t give a seven because of bugs so much as a lack of integration between a lot of the programs. For example, it’s not easy to get names, emails and addresses out of Mail and into Contacts, and then get the correct contact into Calendar. Spotlight never seems to find what I’m looking for. The Home app is a mess! And Siri is only good for turning subtitles on and off on the Apple TVs.

Where Apple fails for me is support. Years ago it was great, but starting with the top-of-line iMac 27 ($5,000) I bought in 2019 it’s gone downhill fast. Support never could help with issues relating to Music on my Mac. Nor could they ever explain why I get dropouts on my iMac when using AirPods 2 or 3 and AirPods Max, while my Bose QC35IIs work great.

However, the big fail for me happened about a month ago when I received my Apple Watch 9. I could not get Blood Oxygen, ECG or Sleep to work correctly—or at all. After hours on the phone and talking to multiple folks, I was basically told, in-so-many words, “You’re too old and your health is too poor to work with our devices.”

Everyone told me to write Tim Cook. I didn’t. I just chalked it up to one of my maxims: Service sucks everywhere all the time.

Eventually those functions did work correctly after the first Watch OS update.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
I don’t know. Are customers really okay with iOS updates taking an “off” year every other year for Apple to prioritise bug fixing, or would they be willing to accept some degree of bugs and instability for new features to play around with every year?

With more than one billion active iPhone users (and with bugs impacting each user differently), I feel the correct answer may not be that apparent.
The vast majority of users will just ignore the bugs and glitches. But it may be worth it for Apple’s most-devoted, highest dollar customers (those who upgrade frequently and those of us on this forum). Honestly, they’re not just adding features these days but seem to be changing things just for the sake of change now.

Reactions: SDRLS

Henrikr

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2023
I also agree with this! I've been using Macs since 1992, and even though I still think their hardware is great, I have to admit that their software, like iOS and MacOS, has been going downhill. The latest Safari release had some pretty embarrassing bugs and UI glitches. The "Find My" app is a mess with tons of bugs and UI glitches. Perhaps same teams that worked on the Maps-app. Absolutely no quality control! I suggest take some money from their markting budget and hire a person that can spend some time with testing the apps properly.

Last edited:

SDRLS

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2013
I don't know about quality going either direction, but the attitude towards proven concepts seems to have taken a big hit within apple.

For example dashboard, that likely worked very well for a lot of users was removed and everything what came after that has been bling-bling toys.

System settings might have had an outdated look, but the concept with an overview of categories and structured preference panes was fine. Replaced by something with zero overview and no structure.

Airdrop has had the same quality issues since inception - sometimes it just stops working and reboot of all devices are needed. That's is far from "it just works".

For every version of macos stuff gets moved around and changed/removed for no apparent reason. Some see it as the os getting tweaked, but to me it looks like changes for change's sake.

I, and people around me, use a mix of apple and android phones.
Text messages (and I mean SMS, not imessage / RCS chats) getting lost is an quality issue for me, but I guess it is a "feature" for Apple, it is not ment to work universally anymore.

Another issue I've seen is iphones running out of memory that can't easily be fixed. ios complains "no more memory, buy more icloud" and when user do, the phone can't sync to icloud becuase it is "out of memory", ie there is not enough space for even basic ios operations to run. In that situation, ios has already automatically removed all uninstallable apps and there is nothing more that can be delete to make space. (User removing images/vidoes does not help, as the speace is not freed up).
Having the OS handling low memory situations is a basic thing, and I don't think I've seen any other device getting into a non-recoverable memory situation in this millenium.
Agreed. To this day you can still use up every bit of space on your iPhone to the point where it won't even turn on. that's something that Andrid has never had an issue with. Why Apple hasn't fixed that issue that's been around since Ive got rid of aqua is beyond me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.