Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ANDJOE

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Apple used to only make one thing, computers. Now they make lots of things that all need to connect and communicate with one another. That’s the hard part. No other company is doing this kind of stuff at the scale.

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
Haven't noticed much in the way of degradation of software performance. The hardware on the other hand, it's disgusting how it's become so disposable due to the inability to upgrade it. You used to be able to buy a base model and upgrade the storage and RAM. Now you have to buy the most expensive one you can afford and hope it doesn't become a boat anchor after a couple years when something like the SSD fails.

Cook hasn't done Apple any favours in that respect.

Reactions: 2ndStreet and SDRLS

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
This all changed when Apple moved from a 'release when ready' to 'release on a particular date regardless of readiness' approach.

The annual release cycle for OS upgrades has probably been the worst offender for software quality - they've clearly underinvested in regression testing. But what's worse, is that even after breaking things and having them discovered, it's taking an inordinate amount of time to actually fix them (USB subsystem I'm looking at you).

As for hardware, if it's manufacturing, ok, that's no surprise given the vastly larger scale of products produced. But if it's design - like the BMW apple pay frying situation - then again, it goes back to having a robust testing methodology.

It's gotten so bad that for the first time I'm considering not updating some devices. The UX that's rumored for the next appleTV release sounds so borked that it'll be useless. But again, if Apple did some actual field testing of these concepts - and I mean in the real world, not their reality bubble - they'd find out that it's a bad idea (like ruining the UX for the ultra in WatchOS 10), or the butterfly keyboard. Their penchant for secrecy is part of that undoing.

Testing, testing, testing. That's the next thing Apple should invest $ in.

Mary Mac Studio

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2022
As I'm watching tonight's Apple Event, it's all about speed. That's boring to me. At a point some time ago I didn't need any more speed. Things are already instantaneous to my perception. I miss Steve who had a vision for greater things.

• Love
Reactions: Spooner83

taf1987

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2020
TEXAS
Remember years ago when Apple was thriving and couldn’t be matched? They had this unspoken slogan of “it just works.” Now, I have so many issues with just about all of my Apple devices from speed, to bugs, to reliability, to Siri. It just seems like Apple has lost quality and charm. Some examples include how the iPhone 15 pro models have basically given us no major changes than the previous model.

HomePod minis are the worst device Apple has ever released. We have switched internet providers several times and have so many issues with HomePod minis. Siri is always unreliable, gets requests and queries wrong almost every time, does random requests that we didn’t ask. I’ll never buy a HomePod mini again.

My reminders app hasn’t worked correctly since iOS 7. It’s the slowest, laggy app I’ve ever used. Yes, I constantly clear the completed reminders, it doesn’t help.

My Apple watch now displays a white stripe on the date and I have restored it several times but it still hasn’t been fixed. Apple says I have a beta installed but I’ve never installed a beta 🤷‍♂️

I have troubleshooted all of these issues with Apple for years and there hasn’t been a fix for any of them. It’s so strange that they can’t fix these issue that I haven’t caused. They’re all bugs.

So, I’m still an Apple fan but their quality has gone so downhill in recent years that it’s depressing. Their answer for a lot of things is to “reinstall” but that never works and their products should work properly without us having to reinstall and lose all non-iCloud settings just because they can’t figure out how to fix their bugs.

I’m not asking anyone to agree with me, it won’t make me feel better to know that others agree. I’m just venting about the quality of Apple. Hope they restore their old image but it’s doubtful they will. You can do it if you actually care, Apple.
It will most likely be that the quality and reliability you speak in Apple products will get better and then worse (repeat this pattern in a general sense). With other products modeling EVERYTHING after Apple’s well see a great product war over the next few decades … for several reasons Apple has and will continue to see more disruptive feedback and the hackers/developers/support agents/engineers/programers/etc. will work in an ever acceleration towards a coming revolution. It sounds like the white line is a screen glitch or break. :( And if you want the device to run optimally stay off unaffiliated networks/sites/softwares/connections/etc… or let anyone on your device. or learn computer coding/programming/engineering…

taf1987

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2020
TEXAS
THIS!

Jobs drove share prices and sales by exceptional marketing AND technology.
Now they drive share prices by sales, with mediocre marketing and tech.
Yes! I mean realizing they release a new model twice a year was mind blowing …

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yeah, I mean it's not hate as much as not resonating with the brand. Most can afford it and especially on a plan, but it just makes no sense to when you can spend less and get essentially the same thing with a different logo.
Objectively that is just not accurate. Unless getting the same means making/sending texts, emails and check Facebook.
Apple no longer has a build quality/OS advantage (both of which have gotten worse as most on this thread agree),
The ten people in this thread have spoken and therefore it is the truth?
nor the ecosystem one because the reality is that most people nowadays just use their phone for everything,
As a generalization of fact think it is incorrect.
also in Europe not many are buying MacBooks anyway. Which is a shame, I think the M1 Air provides the best value in personal computing, it's really the most reasonable Apple has ever been. But this stigma is attached to the whole brand unfortunately and people automatically see them as something that's not worth it/unreliable/expensive to repair. There's actually a super huge misconception about Macs in Europe that they become "slow to use" 2 years in like an iPhone, and that you can't download stuff from the internet - essentially that they're locked down the same ways iPhones are, that you have to get stuff from the App Store only. That it has no file system, or as they say it has no "My Computer like Windows does". I always have to explain to people that it's not true and that Macs actually whine less than Windows when you're doing computer stuff on them.

Apple has a long way to go in Europe but unfortunately they seem super detached from us as a market. It's almost like they're saying "Okay, you don't like us - we won't do anything about it". Which is the opposite of what corporations aim to do usually. Or just think they’ve reached some optimal level here and have settled, which is false. They have brand misconceptions to beat.
Maybe things are different in Europe than apple paints as a picture, but they do seem to have a lot of revenue from Europe.

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
The latest Apple one price increase was monumental 🧐.

I feel like since Johnny Ive left, designs have gone down hill.

Reactions: SDRLS

Spooner83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
Oh stop with that nonsense already!! I hear this ridiculous argument way too much.

Then, I'm not the only one who notices it. You don't have to agree but it's obviously not nonsense. If you're happy with your cookie-cutter iPhone 15, great! I'm happy for you. Some of us expect more from a company as big as Apple.

Reactions: macsforme and SDRLS

Abdichoudxyz

Suspended
May 16, 2023
I feel like since Johnny Ive left, designs have gone down hill.
Ives wasn't immune to mistakes you know. 'Hockey puck' mouse, G4 Cube, 'Dustbin' MacPro, Magic Mouse charging port. Not all the iPod designs were great; the Shuffle had no screen, which was crap. Some of his iPhone designs weren't successful either; remember the one that bent? I'm a fan of Apple design philosophy, but Ives was just one (albeit the most important) figure in all of that, and there have been many other designers working on all sorts of projects. A lot of Ive's designs have been pretty derivative (of Deiter Rams, his idol) really. That's not to say he isn't one of the 21st centuries greatest industrial product designers though. Thank goodness for such philosophy; now many other electronics manufacturers try to emulate/echo/copy Apple/Ives, and that's a good thing in my book. As for Apple's designs 'going down hill'; what? I'm struggling to think of anything that isn't at least inspired by Ive's design ethos, in Apple's current range of products.

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
Then, I'm not the only one who notices it. You don't have to agree but it's obviously not nonsense. If you're happy with your cookie-cutter iPhone 15, great! I'm happy for you. Some of us expect more from a company as big as Apple.
First, the "non sense" what just in answer to your statement saying the iPhone 15 Pro isn't much different from the 14 Pro. That's been like this since iPhone 3G with a few exceptions. Deal with it.

Second, I don't even have an iPhone 15. My 14 Pro does the job pretty well. Joke's on you.

david6822

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2023
Curious to know the answer and get people's input on a topic that has been covered before at times but usually with little/no details given. I'd like to get input specifically on if apple arrogance has grated or driven you away from apple? For context I've used apple products exclusively since 2016 iphone mac airpods inc all apple services and native apps esp on mac os. Love the ease of use, UI ecosystem benefits and mac hardware side especially. However over time arrogance (i.e. do it apple way or no way has grated more and more). examples below. too many to list but you get the idea.

-MacOS (the "most advanced operating system") which can't even cut paste without keyboard shortcuts or special utility. Sure!
-Venturing outside ecosystem at all even slightly makes things far more difficult. Unlike universal share menu in windows apple expects you only to use apple software so useless share menu inside macOS that rarely shows non 1st party options.
-Apple maps (ios). will still try to force on you whether you want it to or not. spotlight for example will never show maps entries from any other maps apps.
-Sharing photos from macOS. better hope the person your sharing to also uses an apple product and has icloud on a compatible device.
-Apple pricing holy hell. I admit apple silicon is amazing but the price premium holy hell. for context for the price M3 macbook pro's are I could buy a slimline windows laptop a seperate powerful PC for tasks like video editing and go on holiday and still have change left.

input please....

Reactions: Altis and SDRLS

SDRLS

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2013
Who is they? It seems the people are buying what apple is selling.
Let’s not act like there aren’t people buying it because their friends do. And not because it’s something they truly want. Perfect example. Teens. If you don’t have an Apple laptop nowadays you are made fun of. And we won’t even get into the bullying of teens/tweens/college kids for not having an iPhone.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Let’s not act like there aren’t people buying it because their friends do.
True. I look closely at what works for my friends and see if same products may be applicable to me.
And not because it’s something they truly want.
People buy things for their own reasons.
Perfect example. Teens. If you don’t have an Apple laptop nowadays you are made fun of. And we won’t even get into the bullying of teens/tweens/college kids for not having an iPhone.
I’m sure a singular case may be true, but as a generalized statement of fact it’s hyperbole.

Reactions: Media Pimp

SDRLS

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2013
True. I look closely at what works for my friends and see if same products may be applicable to me.

People buy things for their own reasons.

I’m sure a singular case may be true, but as a generalized statement of fact it’s hyperbole.
Singular... right. Pew Research, the ADA, and the NYT's have all done extensive research on it. it's a thing. and funny enough C-net just did an article about it today a few hours ago.

Psycophants like you are the reason people get turned off by the idea of apple.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apple goes through phases. Just ask Leopard users from like 15 years ago. Then they came out with Snow Leopard and cleaned up a lot of the issues and made it run great.

It hasn't always just worked. I used OS X early days in the video media lab in high school and it was really buggy, crashing importing firewire footage, etc. People just need to have some perspective. In general Apple is much less of a headache than their competitors most of the time, but it is still sometimes a headache.

And that's tech in a nutshell. From my first piece of tech that I owned, an NES, I learned that tech is pain blowing on cartridges and losing save games and needing dongles to attach to certain TVs. Nothing has changed much in that regard over the course of my life. Things get faster, things get more complex, things get slower, things get faster again, things get more complex, things get slower. It's all a cycle of trying to push innovation and fix bugs on the back end.

The main difference nowadays is agile software development. The cycles are shorter but there are often more bugs that need to be squashed after shipping. Before we would wait years for a new version of OS X, now we get one every year, but it's less polished at launch. Just wait a point update or two when upgrading anything and that helps a lot. This problem isn't unique to Apple, it is prevalent across the entire industry. SHIP SHIP SHIP! Or as Zuck says, "Move fast and break things."

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
Remember years ago when Apple was thriving and couldn’t be matched? They had this unspoken slogan of “it just works.” Now, I have so many issues with just about all of my Apple devices from speed, to bugs, to reliability, to Siri. It just seems like Apple has lost quality and charm. Some examples include how the iPhone 15 pro models have basically given us no major changes than the previous model.

HomePod minis are the worst device Apple has ever released. We have switched internet providers several times and have so many issues with HomePod minis. Siri is always unreliable, gets requests and queries wrong almost every time, does random requests that we didn’t ask. I’ll never buy a HomePod mini again.

My reminders app hasn’t worked correctly since iOS 7. It’s the slowest, laggy app I’ve ever used. Yes, I constantly clear the completed reminders, it doesn’t help.

My Apple watch now displays a white stripe on the date and I have restored it several times but it still hasn’t been fixed. Apple says I have a beta installed but I’ve never installed a beta 🤷‍♂️

I have troubleshooted all of these issues with Apple for years and there hasn’t been a fix for any of them. It’s so strange that they can’t fix these issue that I haven’t caused. They’re all bugs.

So, I’m still an Apple fan but their quality has gone so downhill in recent years that it’s depressing. Their answer for a lot of things is to “reinstall” but that never works and their products should work properly without us having to reinstall and lose all non-iCloud settings just because they can’t figure out how to fix their bugs.

I’m not asking anyone to agree with me, it won’t make me feel better to know that others agree. I’m just venting about the quality of Apple. Hope they restore their old image but it’s doubtful they will. You can do it if you actually care, Apple.

I think this comes from the transition of Steve Jobs who was the brain child behind all things apple, including OSX.
Tim Cook on the other hand was a CFO when Steve was still around, his focus has always been revenue, even at the expense of quality of product. The shift was clear when long term apple designers left the company.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Singular... right. Pew Research, the ADA, and the NYT's have all done extensive research on it. it's a thing. and funny enough C-net just did an article about it today a few hours ago.
Funny thing about the media repeating stuff, like a game of telephone. I know… never happens. /s
Psycophants like you are the reason people get turned off by the idea of apple.
If you dont like the product don’t buy it. The product should fit your life style and requirements. If you’re not buying it because of some posts on the internet….well that’s on you.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015

Have you noticed the quality of Apple has gotten worse compared to years ago?​

No.

I bought my first Mac in college, early 90s. Then staring in the the 2000s I've been steadily buying PowerBooks, iBooks, MacBooks, iMacs, Minis.

There's a host of issues I used to see on many of the old machines (that were FAR more expensive, by the way) that I just don't see anymore. My old black polycarbonite MacBook was so hot I couldn't keep it in my lap. One of the iBooks I had had a swollen battery that disabled the trackpad. My PowerBook G3 (which was insanely expensive, by the way) had a pretty funky, floppy keyboard that was held in place with little plastic tabs, and saw kernel panics regularly, as did any Mac of that era. Hell, I'm still fuming about how my Mac Classic II totally seized up in the middle of a big thesis paper and I lost a pretty crucial page of work because I hadn't hit save recently enough.

I'm using an M1 Air and an M1 iMac now, and they're just rock solid, silent, and fast as hell. I won't say I don't hit bugs, because of course there are bugs. But given the fact that the software now is exponentially more complex than before, I'm very impressed with how much of everything "just works" a vast vast majority of the time.

Last edited:

SDRLS

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2013
Funny thing about the media repeating stuff, like a game of telephone. I know… never happens. /s

If you dont like the product don’t buy it. The product should fit your life style and requirements. If you’re not buying it because of some posts on the internet….well that’s on you.
Yeah that was ridiculous. I never said i wasn't buying anything. There are few products Apple has made since the IIe that I have not purchased. But let's call a spade a spade. The quality is NOTHING like it was in the late 90's early 2000's Ive era. And as for "on the internet".... Product reviews are a thing. Now lets use your logic. The next time you need to hire someone to be around your children or someone you know. Hire a pedophile! "After all, the only way you know something is wrong with them is because, 'someone else said it'. but hey, you need someone to watch your kids and a babysitter fits your lifestyle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.