Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AstGnomes

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2021
snakes- your post reminded me (I really am taking off after this):

.mov might not be a container DolbyVision is supported in on LG TVs. The behavior of reverting to base SEI level is the same with Profile 8.1 / HDR10 compatible files when they're muxed as .mkv... the DV info can be in the video stream but the TV is unable to read it, even in .mkvs created by recent tools that support that part of Matroska properly (the library on the TV is likely too old).

Since ffmpeg doesn't and if the responses of the authors are any indication will never properly support muxing DV, you'll need one of two tools -- I'm feeling obscenely generous today (my dislike of Apple for pulling crap like this rises to the level that wars are started over, luckily I'm a nobody) so I tested out the first one as best I could without a source file from an iPhone. My steps to create a test file were (you don't need to do this, I'm just pointing out that this can be generated sorta on non-apple stuff, but nobody would ever want to... skp down to (1) if you don't care ):

• Extract a profile 8.1 .rpu from a profile 7 (UHD BDXL) with dovi_tool
  • Re-encode the PQ video file into HLG with ffmpeg using a .cube generated via this https://github.com/wswartzendruber/hlg-tools and some quick messing around. FFMPEG breaks all the dolby information, so it needs to be put back for dolby's muxer...
  • dovi_tool inject-rpu -i in.hevc -o out.hevc --rpu-in bla.rpu
  • Remux with dolby's muxer, forcing the profile 8.1 to be treated as profile 8.4
  • Throw on the DLNA share and play on LG NANO85UNA (2020 model), file triggers DolbyVision. Colors are screwy probably as a result of my complete disaster of both PQ -> HLG conversion and forcing a wrong versioned profile to be an 8.4 -- the point is the TV played the 8.4 file as an HLG with DV, which is what your files are in the first place so you don't need to do all of that mess, just look under (1) below. You'll need to play direct on the TV with a USB key or a DLNA server probably though, if casting was broken with .mov files it'll probably be broken with .mp4 as well.
  • I ended up with a file with the following key items in mediainfo:
  • Code:
    Video
    ID : 1
    Format : HEVC
    Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Format profile : Main 10@L5@Main
    HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HLG compatible
    Codec ID : hev1

Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.2020
    Transfer characteristics : HLG / BT.2020 (10-bit)
    Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
  • The "HLG Compatible" part on the HDR format string indicates that things "took". They're not necessarily correct, but the file is showing as profile 8.4.
  • The NANO85 is fairly low end compared to the OLED models most of the people here are talking about and a year old so I doubt it can magically play files that those can't.
  • I'll shut up and you can try the below:
1) https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dlb_mp4base/
-- This is Dolby's own tool for muxing .mp4 files. It will create a compatible stream for anything that supports the level you're targeting, but you need to do some work first, demuxing the .mov into an Annex B HEVC stream without changing anything and the audio into its own file (with possible conversion).
The commands for this are roughly:
  • ffmpeg -i in.mov -c:v copy -vbsf hevc_mp4toannexb -f hevc out.hevc
  • Depending on audio type, you can probably copy it as-is. You'll need to figure out your own commands since I don't have a phone file. ffmpeg -i in.mov -c:a ac3 -b:a 128k out.ac3 if you're lazy / don't care about audio.
  • mp4muxer -i out.hevc -i out.ac3 -o out.mp4 --dv-profile 8 --dv-bl-compatible-id 4 --mpeg4-comp-brand mp42,iso6,isom,msdh,dby1
The biggest problem here might be that there are no makefiles for this tool for mac. Last time I was chained to a desk and forced to do mac development (on clang / llvm) clang and make could handle pretty much everything, but you never know. If you guys can't build it fire up the Windows VM I know you all have hidden on your computer for the programs with no mac version and do the muxing in that, or try option 2.

2) https://github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer
-- Easier option, use the GUI, add the .mov file. Leave all the streams selected, mux it into either .ts or .m2ts, DolbyVision definitely works from these containers. I haven't tested it with v8.4 (I use it with 8.1) but if it works from .mp4 it should work from this and I'm not doing any more testing for you. :D You'll likely need to put it on USB or a DLNA share; attempting to cast from something that wouldn't handle it before probably isn't going to work when you change formats. I don't know whether this works, it technically should if the above method works but .m2ts is kinda odd format to store things in. I mainly use it because Dolby's mp4muxer is single threaded and obscenely slow on large files.

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Well I just got home from a vacay took a bunch of vids on my iphone 12 pro and still cant watch DV videos on Apple TV…. Over a year later? Jesus Apple thanks for the no help on any of this. I still have tried everyway mentioned on here (without having to make new files or anything crazy like that) and still no easy functioning of watching videos in formats they were recorded in. Only clear way to do it from phone to tv is the hdr hlg format from using the LG app and stream from there and even that is not a great experience.
This is sad that the first and only device to record in DV and u can watch the content anywhere.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Well I just got home from a vacay took a bunch of vids on my iphone 12 pro and still cant watch DV videos on Apple TV…. Over a year later? Jesus Apple thanks for the no help on any of this. I still have tried everyway mentioned on here (without having to make new files or anything crazy like that) and still no easy functioning of watching videos in formats they were recorded in. Only clear way to do it from phone to tv is the hdr hlg format from using the LG app and stream from there and even that is not a great experience.
This is sad that the first and only device to record in DV and u can watch the content anywhere.

It’s a joke isn’t it? Truly pathetic that they go out of their way to make this so damned difficult.

If you have the latest ATV 4K and a TV that supports DV you can Screen Mirror them now though but it should not be this difficult. Apple are seriously going downhill…I don’t know what planet some of their decision makes are on!!!

(Edited to say Screen Mirror rather than AirPlay and add DV enabled TV)

Last edited:

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
It’s a joke isn’t it? Truly pathetic that they go out of their way to make this so damned difficult.

If you have the latest ATV 4K you can AirPlay them now though but it should not be this difficult. Apple are seriously going downhill…I don’t know what planet some of their decision makes are on!!!
Yes I am aware you can stream videos from your iphone using airplay..duhh

Its not playing in Dolby Vision when you airplay.

but thanks for the sarcastic reply

• Angry
Reactions: StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Yes I am aware you can stream videos from your iphone using airplay..duhh

Its not playing in Dolby Vision when you airplay.

but thanks for the sarcastic reply

Seriously, wind your neck in. And go and re-read what I said. There was absolutely no sarcasm in my post at all, I was agreeing with you 100% whilst trying to help. However, I will not make that same mistake with you again.

Last edited:
Reactions: JWorld127

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Seriously, wind your neck in. And go and re-read what I said. There was absolutely no sarcasm in my post at all, I was agreeing with you 100% whilst trying to help. However, I will not make that same mistake with you again.
I love you and I am sorry. It sounded a bit sarcastic. But please accept my apology and lets become friends. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.