Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Mann

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2020
That’s not how profile 8 works. It is static with post process tone mapping done by the phone software

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
I have been able to play in DV if I save files to disk and play via Plex on my 2019 Shield Pro to my LG CX. Not the quickest way to do it and strange it’s being done through an Android device but it works.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Managed to get a 4K 30fps DV recording on my 12 Pro to play as a “HLG” on my LG C8 oled using the LG app.

Unfortunately it looks absolutely terrible. Not sharp more like poor 720p, really washed out and blown out highlights. Tried all kinds of settings, but nothing would help. There is obviously some serious re-processing/encoding going on, and it’s not good.

I played some footage from my DJI mini drone that I had downloaded directly to my 12 Pro that was only 2.7k and not HDR, and it looks absolutely stunning in comparison. Strange.

Not pleased. I hope apple sort something out with LG.

Last edited:

aliea13

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2017
Just spent about an hour on the chat and phone with Apple Support regarding this issue, they transferred me to a Senior Support person named Ryan who was very helpful and understood the issue perfectly well (he got a very similar LG C9 to my B8). He is going to research what can be done and put it up to the Apple engineering team if he's not successful! Hoping for solution soon!

Reactions: FreeWoRLD83

FreeWoRLD83

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Just spent about an hour on the chat and phone with Apple Support regarding this issue, they transferred me to a Senior Support person named Ryan who was very helpful and understood the issue perfectly well (he got a very similar LG C9 to my B8). He is going to research what can be done and put it up to the Apple engineering team if he's not successful! Hoping for solution soon!
Thanks for taking the extra step. Please let us know if you hear back.

Reactions: aliea13

wendylou

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2020
Glad to see it isn't just me! Looking forward to seeing the DV logo appear, either when directly playing to my LG C7 OLED or Apple TV 4K.

By the way, when using Compressor on some HLG HDR export tests I made from Rec. 2020 HLG HDR sources in FCPX, there is a real visual improvement between Rec. 2020 HLG and those with the Dolby Vision box ticked, so I would very much like for my iPhone 12 Pro videos to playback in DV instead of HLG. HLG HDR is great, but now that I can see the improvements when it's in DV on my iMac 2020 5K HDR display I would very much like to get DV to display directly on LG and/or Apple TV 4K.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 8.41.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 8.41.58 PM.png
    199.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Just a little update, the issue has now been escalated to the Apple engineering team. Will keep you updated!

Great news. But Apple will either have to switch codecs to a common one, which I don’t think they will do knowing Apple, or LG will have to update their TV’s with new versions of DV. Personally I can’t see this happening in the near future.

aliea13

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2017
So I have received a call back from Apple support and apparently the engineering team have gone through the logs from my iPhone and the Apple TV and have submitted a ”bug report” further up the chain. Meanwhile i have discovered a partial workaround the problem as my LG TV received a software update which added the option of Airplay to the TV. So when I am Airplaying the HDR video from my iPhone directly to the TV it does playback as HLG HDR. Not Dolby Vision but better then nothing!

Reactions: FreeWoRLD83

aliea13

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2017
Just a further update on my previous post, after double checking the Airplay from my iPhone 12 Pro again I discovered I actually am not able to play the HDR video straight from the iPhone to the LG TV as HDR but I am able to do that while Airplaying the same video from my Mac (both iMac and MacBook Air), it triggers the HLG HDR banner on the TV. Having said that, the same HDR video is playing back as SDR when Airplayed through the Apple TV.

Saints1

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2004
Just a further update on my previous post, after double checking the Airplay from my iPhone 12 Pro again I discovered I actually am not able to play the HDR video straight from the iPhone to the LG TV as HDR but I am able to do that while Airplaying the same video from my Mac (both iMac and MacBook Air), it triggers the HLG HDR banner on the TV. Having said that, the same HDR video is playing back as SDR when Airplayed through the Apple TV.

That's interesting. I had a similar experience, but it's not working any more. I took two test videos as soon as I got my iPhone 12 Pro. No matter what I did I could not get my LG OLED E6 to play the video with DV or even HLG HDR. I tried all the suggestions and the video either didn't play at all or only in SDR. I gave up and was hoping Apple would release an update to fix it at some point.

It was probably about 6 weeks later and just for the hell of it I tried Airplaying the same videos directly from the Photos app on my MacBook Pro to my Apple TV 4K. This time it worked! Well, it was playing both those same videos in 4K and HLG HDR and they looked freaking amazing! I then tried Airplaying them directly from my iPhone and it only showed the SDR version. I was still very happy that I could play and view the HLG HDR version directly from my Photos app on my Mac without having to do anything special.

Today I took some new video and just pulled it up on my Macs Photos app and used Airplay directly to my Apple TV 4K and it only showed the SDR version of this new video. I was bummed about that. So, I then tried again using those two original videos that did work in HLG HDR and they won't play in anything but SDR now. So, whatever happened that made this work from my Mac is no longer working. Hopefully Apple gets this all figured out at some point. It's pretty pointless being able to shoot in 4K HDR (DV or HLG) if you can't view it anywhere but the phone itself. I'm fairly annoyed that the phone has been out this long and they still don't have this working.

FreeWoRLD83

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
That's interesting. I had a similar experience, but it's not working any more. I took two test videos as soon as I got my iPhone 12 Pro. No matter what I did I could not get my LG OLED E6 to play the video with DV or even HLG HDR. I tried all the suggestions and the video either didn't play at all or only in SDR. I gave up and was hoping Apple would release an update to fix it at some point.

It was probably about 6 weeks later and just for the hell of it I tried Airplaying the same videos directly from the Photos app on my MacBook Pro to my Apple TV 4K. This time it worked! Well, it was playing both those same videos in 4K and HLG HDR and they looked freaking amazing! I then tried Airplaying them directly from my iPhone and it only showed the SDR version. I was still very happy that I could play and view the HLG HDR version directly from my Photos app on my Mac without having to do anything special.

Today I took some new video and just pulled it up on my Macs Photos app and used Airplay directly to my Apple TV 4K and it only showed the SDR version of this new video. I was bummed about that. So, I then tried again using those two original videos that did work in HLG HDR and they won't play in anything but SDR now. So, whatever happened that made this work from my Mac is no longer working. Hopefully Apple gets this all figured out at some point. It's pretty pointless being able to shoot in 4K HDR (DV or HLG) if you can't view it anywhere but the phone itself. I'm fairly annoyed that the phone has been out this long and they still don't have this working.
Completely agree with you on that. I just don't understand how they let this go, even though Apple mentioned about being able to AirPlay in HDR at the event.

Perhaps, they are saving it for the new Apple TV that's suppose to come out this year? If that's the case, why bother with fixing it on the current gen I suppose..

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Hey bud any new news from apple engineer dude? I have a C8 and only get HLG from LG app...on my dads CX it plays on DV using the same method.

aliea13

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2017
Hey bud any new news from apple engineer dude? I have a C8 and only get HLG from LG app...on my dads CX it plays on DV using the same method.
The Apple tech support guy said he passed it onto the engineering team, haven’t heard back from him since

boban61

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2021
Here's my take. So I bought iPhone 12 Pro Max as a birthday gift to my wife. I recorded a couple of videos and tried watching them from a hard drive on my LG OLED B6. No dice, won't even play them. Then I thought I'll give it a try on my cousin's brand new LG OLED GX and .... It works!! Looks stunning! Dolby Vision logo appears in the corner. On another note it even blurs the background around a person when you're recording someone up close. I am amazed. So problem solved. All you need is a brand new LG OLED huh.

Attachments

• PXL_20210404_114840127.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210404_114840127.MP.jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 85

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Here's my take. So I bought iPhone 12 Pro Max as a birthday gift to my wife. I recorded a couple of videos and tried watching them from a hard drive on my LG OLED B6. No dice, won't even play them. Then I thought I'll give it a try on my cousin's brand new LG OLED GX and .... It works!! Looks stunning! Dolby Vision logo appears in the corner. On another note it even blurs the background around a person when you're recording someone up close. I am amazed. So problem solved. All you need is a brand new LG OLED huh.

It’s likely the new TV supports the new Dolby profile that the iPhone uses.

FreeWoRLD83

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
The problem for me is that I can't airstream or play through the "Photos" app on the Apple TV in Dolby Vision format - even on the latest TV.

Maras_el

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2021
If You want to play dv movied from Your „photos” app try too download plex app on ip12 and play movies in it with airplay on tv.
I’ve made a test and it work for me:
Plex app>movies from gallery (find it in „more...”)>Airplay to LG C9, and DV logo is on:)
Sorry for bad english;D

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
The problem for me is that I can't airstream or play through the "Photos" app on the Apple TV in Dolby Vision format - even on the latest TV.
Been playing with this the last week or so. iPhone 12 Pro Max to 2nd gen Apple TV 4K. No dolby vision logo? I have a new tcl roku tv, and if I airplay to the tv, shows the Dolby vision logo and looks great. Strange this is still not working properly on the new AppleTV? Read this whole thread and cuious of anyone else with new Apple TV has gotten this to ‘show’ properly.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
For some inconceivable reason, I assume only known to the incomparable Muppets at Apple, the Apple TV photo app does not support playback of videos in Dolby Vision format. Absolutely mental. Beyond my comprehension why they make it so difficult to playback our own videos in the format they were recorded in. I’m running the newest Apple TV with the latest TVOS 15 by the way.

Reactions: armandxp

AstGnomes

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2021
I can't promise it will work or help. I'm not even an Apple user but I've been fighting with DolbyVision and trying to generate anything resembling a functional HDR10 file in any single piece of software for the past month so I feel your pain. Final Cut Pro apparently doesn't do anything with the Dolby 8.4 metadata and can't convert it to level 8.1, just output it... as 8.4 alongside an HLG file converted to PQ, which it won't work with. Thanks? (https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/docs/HDR_WideColor.pdf)

You might try: https://github.com/quietvoid/dovi_tool, which can extract Dolby Metadata from a video stream, and convert it to profile 8.1 which works on all LG TVs. Whether this works on 8.4 metadata is anyone's guess, it wasn't designed for that really. Maybe it'll be added directly. That's why I'm leaving the link here. It might just be a matter of changing the compatibility level from 4 to 1 in the NALs.

As I understand it, DV metadata is mostly the same between the various compatibility levels (the 4 in 8.4 is HLG w/ BT.2100 gamut in BT.2020, 3 is BT.709 in BT.2020, 2 is SDR BT.709, 1 is HDR10) as it (mostly) represents transforms that should be applied after and during conversion to the HDR color space in the display.

Prior to these phones there was no profile using compatibility level 4. TBH this being HLG and many news agencies having fired their expensive photographers and handed their reporters iPhones to shoot grainy, blurred vertical video with for the 9:00 news, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire reason for inclusion was just a few major news outlets asking Apple for it. They get to sell it as a feature to the general public (even though it doesn't actually *work* with anything) but it's not really for you... there's no technical reason they couldn't have just generated 10bpc SDR + DV 8.2 instead. Most people are just going to be clipping and sharing video, and everyone who can play DV to begin with could have played that.

I guess there's the off chance that someone is insane enough to want to do color / HDR grading on their 10bpc 4:2:0 HLG cell phone video, but then the dolby metadata is pointless. Before somebody says it, compatibility level 4 requires 4:2:0 chroma subsampling so outputting the video as something better for grading would break it. Outputting a higher bit depth isn't supported by any DV level either. HDR10+ supports greater bit depths / chroma but it doesn't exactly have a ton of support and for being an open standard I can't find the specs for it anywhere.

I thought it might be some kind of backwards compatibility for the non-HDR (certified) computer displays most people use, but then making the DV part incompatible with basically everything that can see it seems kinda useless.

Anyway like I said, not an Apple person so I won't be sticking around, just thought I'd hopefully help a little.

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
Did you all use the high efficiency mode when recording or taking photos?
To watch Heic photos on TV seams no problem, but how did you all watching your videos with mov extension? Sure one way is apple tv but how watch on a smart tv without converting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.