Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Sugar is a carb. A simple one at that. Anyway, if you drop the honey, I'd consider it a decent thing to have daily. I personally despise honey and would leave it for the bees to consume if I were ever to become a dictator. Hah. I'd replace the bananas with blueberries in similar weight, so around 120 grams, and replace the orange juice for something from Trader Joe's, like the unsweetened cherry or cranberry.

Blueberries have been doing well this year. For months now, I've been able to get 18-20 oz packages of them at the store for $3-4 each. Big, juicy and fresh. And with no purchase limit. So in true fashion, my wife and I have been having 4-6 oz blueberries with breakfast and lunch for months now. And I'm likely going to make another trip this weekend and purchase around 20 containers.

BTW, does anyone know where I can find strawberry guavas in SoCal?

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I personally wouldn't drink too many of those. All of those ingredients are extremely high in sugar and carbs. Even if it comes from natural sources like fruit, sugar is still sugar. I'm sure it tastes great, and it's better than drinking soda or whatever, but don't be fooled into thinking a concoction like that is "healthy". That right there is a treat to be consumed in moderation. :)
I've been to medical school, I've studied nutrition, I know what I'm doing :)

Reactions: sdilley14

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I've been to medical school, I've studied nutrition, I know what I'm doing :)

Fair enough. :)

FWIW, my blended shakes consist of either...

Frozen blueberries + unsweetened almond milk + oats + vanilla protein

Or

Frozen strawberries + frozen blueberries + half a banana + unsweetened almond milk + vanilla protein

Or

Ice + banana + natural peanut butter + vanilla protein + unsweetened almond milk + water

All of them taste amazing when you get down the right portions for the ingredients and get the shake to a consistency you enjoy (I like mine with a little thickness - not too watery, but not thick a milkshake either - somewhere in the middle).

Reactions: ardchoille50

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
I feel the same way about soda. I grew up on Pepsi-Cola and Coca-Cola. I tasted one recently, after having removed them from my diet years ago, and I could barely tolerate it, yech. I'll stick to water.

I changed about 7 - 9 months ago when I got the shock of my life how much sugar was in a small glass of coca cola. 7 cubes. I was like f*^% that and went straight to mineral water. Haven't looked back. I never touch fizzy drinks or such now.

I was very guilty of drinking a lot of acidic orange juice and such. Stopped that as well. The biggest difference I've noticed with mineral water, I'm never as thirsty and the yellow stain has just about come out of my teeth.

I also can no longer eat sweets the same anymore. Everything has become awful sickly sweet. Or other things tasting horribly salty. I only once in a while have a few buttons of cadbury's here and there but never eating a pack within 20 minutes like I used to. A pack will last me 1 week now but I'm weening myself off them completely. Thats about the only junk food I eat. Apples, Bananas, chicken and such. Trying to replace the temptation of chocolate for Apples.

No take out, home burgers or anything. No booze, don't smoke and working out for 30 minutes everyday. Will need to get into the body-blade. 2007 - 2010 I put on too much weight from eating a lot of Chinese. Chinese was really my only take out. When I say too much weight, enough to grab onto 2 - 3 inches. Lost nearly a stone so far. Currently 228lbs for 5" 10. Blood pressure 134 and still a work in progress.

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
I recently lost about 20lbs by just changing my eating habits, not the actual food I eat. I just simply changed to eat when actually hungry, and not eating large meals because I was hungry. I've been .very happy with this change, not only have I lost a belt size, but I'm saving money!

That part that is difficult for me is the nature of my job, I travel a LOT. The type of food available to me varies wildly from week to week. To add more complication to the mix, some days I physically work to near exhaustion and other days I can literally nap throughout the day while "working". My daily calories burned vary WILDY and it really screws with my diet.

also, whenever I track my daily calories with LoseIt! I find that I can lose about .5-1 lb a week by just paying attention, vs just winging it.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
My coworker did this Beachbody 21 day fix and she lost a considerable amount of weigh and toned her body in 21 days. I'm always skeptical of quick fix routines and of course she gained back some of the weight she lost within a few months.

My wife decided to try it and I wanted to lose my belly fat so I tagged along.

This plan has 7 different workouts, mostly cardio and portion control while still eating ALOT of healthy foods for 21 days. I lost 13 lbs to 125 lbs (5'7").

Now I'm too skinny and not too much muscles. Going to continue the diet and do more weight lifting to gain some muscle weight. Planning to do 2 cardio, 4 weight lifting and 1 hot yoga per week and see how I am in a month.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
One of the best investments I made was a Soda stream. I like carbonated drinks but have replaced them with carbonated tap water. Have not noticed anyone on here using an app to manage calaroies. I am 5' 11' and was 220 and was trying to get to 190. I used "my fitness pal" and logged everything for about six months and got to 206 but was then stuck there.
I got frustrated and gave it up but now trying it again. I am presently at 210 and would still like to get to 190. I am retired and do a lot of moderate cycling sometimes as much as 100 miles per week. I guess the metabolism is just not what it used to be.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I recently lost about 20lbs by just changing my eating habits, not the actual food I eat. I just simply changed to eat when actually hungry, and not eating large meals because I was hungry. I've been .very happy with this change, not only have I lost a belt size, but I'm saving money!

That part that is difficult for me is the nature of my job, I travel a LOT. The type of food available to me varies wildly from week to week. To add more complication to the mix, some days I physically work to near exhaustion and other days I can literally nap throughout the day while "working". My daily calories burned vary WILDY and it really screws with my diet.

also, whenever I track my daily calories with LoseIt! I find that I can lose about .5-1 lb a week by just paying attention, vs just winging it.

I've realized that my routines were working against me in that what I used to consider a regular meal is in fact a large meal anD not only can I get by with less, but should. I dropped 14 lbs just by cutting out regular desserts like a slice of pie that adds 400-500 calories I don't need. I still eat sweets on occasion in smaller doses. :oops:

One of the best investments I made was a Soda stream. I like carbonated drinks but have replaced them with carbonated tap water. Have not noticed anyone on here using an app to manage calaroies. I am 5' 11' and was 220 and was trying to get to 190. I used "my fitness pal" and logged everything for about six months and got to 206 but was then stuck there.
I got frustrated and gave it up but now trying it again. I am presently at 210 and would still like to get to 190. I am retired and do a lot of moderate cycling sometimes as much as 100 miles per week. I guess the metabolism is just not what it used to be.

I too like carbonated drinks and started drinking seltzer style carbonated water bottled by the local grocery and very inexpensive $.90 for a 1 liter bottle, I think (regarding the size).

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
My coworker did this Beachbody 21 day fix and she lost a considerable amount of weigh and toned her body in 21 days. I'm always skeptical of quick fix routines and of course she gained back some of the weight she lost within a few months.

This plan has 7 different workouts, mostly cardio and portion control while still eating ALOT of healthy foods for 21 days. I lost 13 lbs to 125 lbs (5'7").

Now I'm too skinny and not too much muscles. Going to continue the diet and do more weight lifting to gain some muscle weight. Planning to do 2 cardio, 4 weight lifting and 1 hot yoga per week and see how I am in a month.

Sounds like solid progress.

It's generally very hard to lose weight and build any appreciable muscle mass at the same time. That's why folks will often alternate between a "cut" and a "bulk", because the workouts, food plans, etc., are often very different (and if you read of anyone claiming massive muscle mass gains in short weeks, it's bull-pucky). Definitely continue to lift (heavy), as that's also a terrific calorie burn, but don't expect much (if any really) mass increase. There's really no such thing as "toning" muscles. Muscle is either gained or loss, it's the perception of muscle due to loss of body fat that people call "tone", i.e., seeing more of your muscle definition (like old, acurate adage: "abs are made in the kitchen" :) )

Thumbs up for your continued success :cool:

Reactions: Sword86

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK

Usually they pee a lot of water... To really lose it, it needs to be done slowly hence why she gained some of it back so quickly. After all, rarely anybody puts a lot of weight on quickly unless they're a real pig of an eater. It's put on slowly and lost slowly.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've always thought that weight gain was a simple proposition of calories in, calories burned. I've not gone back and looked at all the replies in this thread to see if this was talked about, but a report on PBS says that studies on consumption of artificial sweeteners show drastic changes of the bacteria composition in your gut which can have the effect of glucose intolerance and raising your blood sugar levels, more so than drinking sugar soda. Shocker. For a while now, I have cut back drastically on my artificial sweeteners while increasing my water consumption. :)

Read more here. This report from 2014: http://www.webmd.com/diet/20140917/artificial-sweeteners-blood-sugar

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I've always thought that weight gain was a simple proposition of calories in, calories burned. I've not gone back and looked at all the replies in this thread to see if this was talked about, but a report on PBS says that studies on consumption of artificial sweeteners show drastic changes of the bacteria composition in your gut which can have the effect of glucose intolerance and raising your blood sugar levels, more so than drinking sugar soda. Shocker. For a while now, I have cut back drastically on my artificial sweeteners while increasing my water consumption. :)

Read more here. This report from 2014: http://www.webmd.com/diet/20140917/artificial-sweeteners-blood-sugar
glad you realized that, but it should be pretty obvious 500 calories of broccoli is not the same as 500 calories of choclate

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
glad you realized that, but it should be pretty obvious 500 calories of broccoli is not the same as 500 calories of choclate

While I'll acknowledge that vegetables are an important factor in our diets, where exactly does broccoli fit in with a discussion of sugar vs artificial sweeteners, and why would you think I don't realize the difference you pointed out?

Generally speaking it seems to makes sense that if you consume 500 calories, but then burn 500 calories, regardless of other health factors of the food your eating that there should be no net gain of fat. But I pointed out its not that simple for a reason I was unaware of, gut bacteria and its role in your weight.

Last edited:

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
While I'll acknowledge that vegetables are an important factor in our diets, where exactly does broccoli fit in with a discussion of sugar vs artificial sweeteners, and why would you think I don't realize the difference you pointed out?

Generally speaking it seems to makes sense that if you consume 500 calories, but then burn 500 calories, regardless of other health factors of the food your eating that there should be no net gain of fat. But I pointed out its not that simple for a reason I was unaware of, gut bacteria and its role in your weight.
I should have rephrased my original post. I didn't mean to specifically point you out, just the public in general. Broccoli does fit in that conversation because it doesn't have artifical sweeteners, I was just using it as an example that even though 2 types of food have the same amount of calories, their vast differences to contribute to weight and overall health despite people's belief that calories are the same everywhere. Taken in vacuum, but unless you're taking a thermodynamics course, no one cares about the vacuum effect. Has to be taken in context, especially when it comes to anything related with the human body.

Reactions: Huntn

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Years ago, after leaving active duty Marine Corps, and getting out of a physical routine, I blimped up to 260 pounds at 6"0". Then in 2007, at the maximum weight, I decided enough was enough and started to change my diet. I did so in the beginning of May that year and by the Autumn, I had dropped 91 pounds. I did no exercise at all and for a few months I even went vegetarian. When I cut out the meat, especially the red meat, the weight really came off fast.

I wouldn't do what I did then again in that I did no exercise. I should have done some form of physical activity to keep some muscle mass on the body.

A few years after that, a buddy of mine moved back into town and he's big into fitness and we both joined a local gym and I got myself into fantastic shape with some cardio and weight lifting. I did that for a few years and then fell off the wagon of exercising.

Today, I'm back up to 219 pounds after a few years away from the gym. I started back up with the gym a block away from my apartment about 2 weeks ago and have cleaned up my diet again. This time I need to be especially careful because I have diabetes and my poor diet wasn't doing my blood sugar levels any favors.

But since I've cleaned up the diet and started lifting again, my sugar has come under control and is where its supposed to be.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009

The issue is that the study was done on mice, not human subjects. Last I checked, we're not rodents. Extrapolating data from mice has always been a fatal flaw in studies.

That said, I find sugar to be more harmful in excess quantities than any modified sweetener, not counting sugar alcohols and pure stevia powder or liquid. As those are as natural as sugar, albeit don't taste quite the same.

It's very easy for someone to consume well in excess of 100 g of sugar a day through cereal grains, not cereal mind you, fruit and adding sugar here and there, a spot of jam, preserve, jelly or non-natural peanut butter and other assorted nut butters. It's easy to digest an immense amount of sugar if you consume junk like standard peanut butter or a chocolate and nut concoction, which is just shortening and sugar.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
im 42, hate exercising... 3 years ago i decided to drop some weight (was @ 105kg) to increase my chances of seeing my kid grow :)

it took a bit of experimentation, but i think I found a diet that is OK... still a little fat (80kg, 175cm) but been there for 2 years now.

drink options are : alcoolholic (wine or beer, preferrably wine) or water. no other option.
food : anything without sugar. only exception is small bits of chocolate eventually.

cheers

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
Did you drop from 105 to 80 via exercising and new diet or?... and how long did it take you?

Since I've been on this new healthy eating/exercising, I find it irritating how every diet/exercising regime seems to find me. Even though it is working for me but I never saw this before.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
it took me from february to december 2012 to drop that weight. i counted calories (1600-ish a day) using an app and tried to exercise a bit (mostly treadmill, 30-40 mins a day).

not counting calories anymore, but still mind what I eat/drink. weight is stable so far, 79-81 most of the time.

next step would be to get rid of the excess fat and build some muscle, but i'm procrastinating :)

cheers

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I am glad I found this thread at the right time. I also jump on r/fitness and r/progress on Reddit as they have great info as well.

New dad to be for the 2nd time and remember how rough it was the first go around so preparing to get back into shape before its too late. I've been walking, not running, 4 times a week about 3 miles at a time. I have very bad feet so can't really jog but keep that heart rate high in my range.
I've also used myfitnesspal and logging what I eat as I try to stay around 1800 calories (6'3, 216...aiming for 190-195).

Started a 30 day plank challenge.

Ordered some of this to take 2 times a day (breakfast and probably right before bed as i heard thats a good idea with these)
image_24157_original_X_450_white.jpg

The thing for me is that it has become somewhat of a healthy addiction but I still get puzzled at what to eat some times for snack. I do nuts, apples, but it can get boring. I need variety.

Also does anyone use a safe water cleanser or anything to get rid of the water weight? I drink a crap ton of water a day and i see the bloat and can't seem to cut that.

Anyways, excited to be back on the journey for a couple weeks and look forward to making it a habit lifestyle. Love the motivation and info being shared here! :)

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I am glad I found this thread at the right time. I also jump on r/fitness and r/progress on Reddit as they have great info as well.

New dad to be for the 2nd time and remember how rough it was the first go around so preparing to get back into shape before its too late. I've been walking, not running, 4 times a week about 3 miles at a time. I have very bad feet so can't really jog but keep that heart rate high in my range.
I've also used myfitnesspal and logging what I eat as I try to stay around 1800 calories (6'3, 216...aiming for 190-195).

Started a 30 day plank challenge.

Ordered some of this to take 2 times a day (breakfast and probably right before bed as i heard thats a good idea with these)
image_24157_original_X_450_white.jpg

The thing for me is that it has become somewhat of a healthy addiction but I still get puzzled at what to eat some times for snack. I do nuts, apples, but it can get boring. I need variety.

Also does anyone use a safe water cleanser or anything to get rid of the water weight? I drink a crap ton of water a day and i see the bloat and can't seem to cut that.

Anyways, excited to be back on the journey for a couple weeks and look forward to making it a habit lifestyle. Love the motivation and info being shared here! :)
Whey protein isolate is a fast absorbing protein and is typically consumed directly before or after a workout within about an hour.

If you're going to consume a protein supplement before bed, it's better to use a casein protein which is a slow digesting protein which helps feed muscles overnight and prevent a catabolic state.
iu.jpg
Additionally, these are supplements, not replacements, and generally, shouldn't be used as meal replacements. They're designed to supplement a good diet and add extra nutrients or protein where necessary.

As for the water weight, keep drinking plenty of water and listen to the body. When it's thirsty, water it. The body won't retain too much water if you give it enough throughout the day. Water is very important for everything in the body and its functions.

If you feel you're retaining too much water, there may be other medical reasons for it and it might be a good idea to consult your doctor.

Keep up the good work and effort though and it will pay off. Have a clean diet and get regular exercise, which it sounds like you're doing.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Whey protein isolate is a fast absorbing protein and is typically consumed directly before or after a workout within about an hour.

If you're going to consume a protein supplement before bed, it's better to use a casein protein which is a slow digesting protein which helps feed muscles overnight and prevent a catabolic state.
View attachment 596160
Additionally, these are supplements, not replacements, and generally, shouldn't be used as meal replacements. They're designed to supplement a good diet and add extra nutrients or protein where necessary.

As for the water weight, keep drinking plenty of water and listen to the body. When it's thirsty, water it. The body won't retain too much water if you give it enough throughout the day. Water is very important for everything in the body and its functions.

If you feel you're retaining too much water, there may be other medical reasons for it and it might be a good idea to consult your doctor.

Keep up the good work and effort though and it will pay off. Have a clean diet and get regular exercise, which it sounds like you're doing.

Thanks! That is very important to see about the product you recommended versus the one I bought. I will switch how I utilize it to use it in the morning with my breakfast for added nutrients in a shake or oatmeal and then right after I work out.

Yea it is odd that I seem so bloated and I pee a ton. Just looking to cut it up and thought there were some safe supplements to help that process.

I am trying to stay as natural and clean as possible with just the added protein and keep my calorie count down.

Thanks again!

Reactions: SandboxGeneral
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.