Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yea it is odd that I seem so bloated and I pee a ton. Just looking to cut it up and thought there were some safe supplements to help that process.
One thing to check in your current diet is your sodium intake. The American Heart Association recommends no more than 1500 mg per day. If you're getting more than that, try cutting it down, and it may help reduce any bloat as well as do better for your heart and cardiovascular system.

Also, try not to consume too many carbs late in the day. Try to get the carbs earlier in the day and especially around your workout/exercise times. Plus make sure they're good carbs and not bad ones. Whole grains, brown rice, oatmeal (no sugar ones), sweet potatoes, and the like. Get lots of greens, broccoli, green beans, brussels sprouts, asparagus etc...

Reactions: Sword86

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
One thing to check in your current diet is your sodium intake. The American Heart Association recommends no more than 1500 mg per day. If you're getting more than that, try cutting it down, and it may help reduce any bloat as well as do better for your heart and cardiovascular system.

My trainer told me that potassium helps counteract the effects of sodium. So sweet potatoes, bananas, and pistachios among other nut are a big help.

This has been said, but SUGAR IS BAD FOR YOU is significant enough to restate:

"The researchers studied the effects of sugar-restriction on 43 obese children, aged nine to 18, who had at least one other metabolic problem, like high blood pressure or high triglycerides (blood fats) or markers of fatty liver. For nine days, they ate a sugar-restricted diet, but their calories were kept as constant as possible, by substituting in starches and carbs for the sugars. The goal was to reduce sugar content in the diet from an average of 28% to 10%. But the team did not want the kids to lose weight – they wanted to keep weight constant while simply subtracting sugar from the diet, so see what would happen when this variable to changed but nothing else was.

At the end of the nine days, the kids’ metabolic parameters did shift significantly: Their average diastolic blood pressure decreased by 5 mmHg; their triglycerides were lowered by 33 points; their LDL (“bad”) cholesterol went down 10 points; insulin levels were reduced by a third, and fasting glucose and liver function tests improved.

“All of the surrogate measures of metabolic health got better, just by substituting starch for sugar in their processed food – all without changing calories or weight or exercise,” said Lustig. “This study demonstrates that ‘a calorie is not a calorie.’ Where those calories come from determines where in the body they go. Sugar calories are the worst, because they turn to fat in the liver, driving insulin resistance, and driving risk for diabetes, heart, and liver disease. This has enormous implications for the food industry, chronic disease, and health care costs.”

forbes.com

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
My trainer told me that potassium helps counteract the effects of sodium. So sweet potatoes, bananas, and pistachios among other nut are a big help.
Absolutely your trainer is correct. Those are staples in my diet (and I really love pistachios). Walnuts are fantastic too.

This has been said, but SUGAR IS BAD FOR YOU is significant enough to restate:
Yes, in a general sense, [too much] sugar is bad. But it depends on a few variables and a person's goals. To start off with, I am a type II diabetic so I am very conscious of my sugar intake as well as my simple carbohydrate intake.

However, sugar is a very necessary nutrient in feeding muscles post-workout. This is important, especially for bodybuilders trying to build muscle and maintain gains after an exhaustive workout.

It helps spike the insulin and deliver glycogen to the muscles which have just been severely depleted after a workout. This in turn helps facilitate the delivery of protein and other nutrients to the muscles which are screaming for them.

When you workout, you deplete muscle glycogen (the storage form of carbohydrates). Glycogen is the primary fuel your muscles use for energy production; therefore, optimizing glycogen stores is important and it's one of the reasons energy levels decrease when reducing carbs.

Subsequently, after a workout, your muscles are like sponges, ready to absorb everything and anything you feed them, which is why you need to focus on the quality of this meal.

Moreover, not only is it important to feed your muscle the carbohydrates they need to promote glycogen synthesis, but it's also crucial to feed some protein to stimulate protein synthesis and inhibit what's known as proteolysis (protein breakdown).

Finally, this feeding is important because if done correctly, it can positively affect the hormonal milieu by naturally increasing growth hormone and insulin, which are both potent hormones necessary for muscle growth.

Each of the aforementioned components of growth and recovery are enhanced during the first 2 hours after exercise, which reinforces the importance of this meal.

Bodybuilding.com

Additionally, it's important to get the necessary sugar, at the proper times, from the proper foods. Banana's are a great source, plus they have potassium which aids in muscle recovery, is fast absorbing and a healthy source of sugar.

For people like me, a diabetic, I need to be extra careful and monitor my sugar levels and find an appropriate balance in my sugar intake.

But, it's a thing each person needs to figure out for themselves, depending on what their goals are, i.e. Bodybuilding, or just being more healthy and losing weight. Sugar is necessary, but we need it from good sources and in appropriate moderation.

Reactions: obeygiant

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I feel my salt intake is probably a tad too high contributing to it. I love jalapeños, olives, and balsamic type dressing on my salads and that isn't doing me any favors.

I need to clean that up.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Sugar is bad for you, theoretically, but the way you get it is critical.

Example: Try eating four apples. Most people can't do it because your body digests fruit appropriately. The problem is, it's super easy to drink 4 margaritas (YUM :))

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I ran from age 17-56, about 5 miles, 2-3 times a week. As I've aged, I've slowed down. I usually walk anywhere from 1.5 to 3 miles usually 2-3 times a week, but I'm afraid now it's not enough to be considered regular. I weigh 210 about 30 lbs overweight. Lately I've noticed that my right knee is sore... all the time. Not sharp pains, but tenderness that feels like it's on the sides of my knee and just below it. I plan on setting up a doctor appointment, but I'm wondering and understand maybe I've not given enough info, but does anyone know if this is something that you can walk through, or might just make it worse if I don't know the reason? I'm thinking the latter. Thanks!

Last edited:

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
If it is sore all the time, that's a sign that you can't just walk through it, in my mind, unless you've recently and dramatically upped your activity (intensity and/or distance). If you have, you could drop back to what you were doing regularly before it hurt and see if the soreness goes away. Regardless, if a few days rest doesn't fix the problem, a doctor's visit is definitely in order.

*I am not a doctor.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If it is sore all the time, that's a sign that you can't just walk through it, in my mind, unless you've recently and dramatically upped your activity (intensity and/or distance). If you have, you could drop back to what you were doing regularly before it hurt and see if the soreness goes away. Regardless, if a few days rest doesn't fix the problem, a doctor's visit is definitely in order.

*I am not a doctor.

Thanks! I did make the mistake the last time I walked of pushing it to 3.5 miles. Maybe that's it and if lay off walking for a while, it will recover.

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
Assuming you recover and don't need medical care (I'm not a doctor),

Other considerations besides the extra mileage you put in --- Did you change the walking/trotting surface you normally use? Smooth, slick, dirt and/or rocks? Going uphill is relatively easy on cranky knees. The stress is naturally shared more with the hamstrings. On the other hand, going downhill focuses the stress directly on the knees. Staying aware and modifying your stride can mitigate this a great deal.

Good add-ins for a more well-rounded session* -- Walk/trot backwards (hamstring concentration), side-wards, pigeon-toed, duck-toed, figure eights, tight circles etc.. Introduce the quantity and pace of these conservatively.

*Besides calories burned and (with a proper pace) cardio exercise, agility and balance are greatly improved.

Reactions: Huntn

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
I ran from age 17-56, about 5 miles, 2-3 times a week. As I've aged, I've slowed down. I usually walk anywhere from 1.5 to 3 miles usually 2-3 times a week, but I'm afraid now it's not enough to be considered regular. I weigh 210 about 30 lbs overweight. Lately I've noticed that my right knee is sore... all the time. Not sharp pains, but tenderness that feels like it's on the sides of my knee and just below it. I plan on setting up a doctor appointment, but I'm wondering and understand maybe I've not given enough info, but does anyone know if this is something that you can walk through, or might just make it worse if I don't know the reason? I'm thinking the latter. Thanks!

I'm an avid runner, but I also believe in swimming, you might give it try to supplement your other exercise.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I'd be curious for tips to gain weight lately families be saying I look skinnier 5'10" slim guy.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I'm an avid runner, but I also believe in swimming, you might give it try to supplement your other exercise.

Almost 10 years ago when I was in high school I herniated 2 discs in my back and incurred a little peripheral nerve damage in my back . Long story short, I now also have a 3rd slightly herniated disc with numbness and some weakness in my right ankle and slight femoral nerve impingement (making for an occasional surprise fire sensation down my thigh).

From that day 10 years ago I've been living in chronic pain, especially exacerbated by running. I immediately gave up lacrosse and the pain killed my college soccer career and recreational jogging. But thank god I was a competitive swimmer my entire life.

I swim about 3 miles everyday, 4-5x a week right now. I was doing about 4 miles/day towards the end of the year but then fell off due to outside reasons - but I'm back. Swimming is a great exercise with minimal impact. You don't need to be an expert or swim miles upon miles to get the benefits. It might take a little while to get into the swing of things but it's worth it. I love it and it's really an activity you can do for life. My grandfather is 90, swims 4 days a week, and is in better health than most people 20 years younger.

----
Back to your knee, I would definitely have it checked out. A good rule of thumb is that if you're in pain, you're body is telling you something is wrong and to stop doing what you're doing. (That said, your body is sometimes wrong)

Given your age, it could be something as simple as arthritis. I'm not an orthopedic doc (but my mom is) or a PT, etc but I do know it could be something as bad as a meniscus tear, collateral ligament problems, etc. Sometimes it's a combination of factors (arthritis + runners knee). It's probably not worth risking making the problem potentially making the problem worse until you get it checked out.

Have you tried taking ibuprofen for the pain? Is there any swelling?

Best of luck!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Almost 10 years ago when I was in high school I herniated 2 discs in my back and incurred a little peripheral nerve damage in my back . Long story short, I now also have a 3rd slightly herniated disc with numbness and some weakness in my right ankle and slight femoral nerve impingement (making for an occasional surprise fire sensation down my thigh).

From that day 10 years ago I've been living in chronic pain, especially exacerbated by running. I immediately gave up lacrosse and the pain killed my college soccer career and recreational jogging. But thank god I was a competitive swimmer my entire life.

I swim about 3 miles everyday, 4-5x a week right now. I was doing about 4 miles/day towards the end of the year but then fell off due to outside reasons - but I'm back. Swimming is a great exercise with minimal impact. You don't need to be an expert or swim miles upon miles to get the benefits. It might take a little while to get into the swing of things but it's worth it. I love it and it's really an activity you can do for life. My grandfather is 90, swims 4 days a week, and is in better health than most people 20 years younger.

----
Back to your knee, I would definitely have it checked out. A good rule of thumb is that if you're in pain, you're body is telling you something is wrong and to stop doing what you're doing. (That said, your body is sometimes wrong)

Given your age, it could be something as simple as arthritis. I'm not an orthopedic doc (but my mom is) or a PT, etc but I do know it could be something as bad as a meniscus tear, collateral ligament problems, etc. Sometimes it's a combination of factors (arthritis + runners knee). It's probably not worth risking making the problem potentially making the problem worse until you get it checked out.

Have you tried taking ibuprofen for the pain? Is there any swelling?

Best of luck!

I'm going to check out the Y tomorrow. :) No swelling. Not tender to touch. I take Aleave or aspirin.

Last edited:
Reactions: A.Goldberg

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Increase your calorie intake, not so much dirty calories though, and start lifting weights at a gym.
I eat until im full cant say that I have gone to the gym lately. probably still not eating enough considering I feel light headed regularly

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I eat until im full cant say that I have gone to the gym lately. probably still not eating enough considering I feel light headed regularly
Assuming you want to gain healthy weight, muscle mass and not body fat, you will need to stress the body with intense anaerobic exercise. Combine that with a proper diet with increased caloric intake, and you will gain healthy weight. Staying inactive or sedentary and just eating isn't a good plan to achieve your goals. Engaging in that intense exercise will cause the body to grow and to require more more food to fuel its growth.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm going to check out the Y tomorrow. :) No swelling. Not tender to touch. I take Aleave or aspirin.

Followup toay: I went to the local YMCA and got a 1 week pass. The pool was not very busy and I had a lane all to myself. This was great... I am out of shape! Lol. But it made me feel good because when I used to run seriously (seriously for me) I used to thrive on feeling that exercised way and while it did not reach the level of an addiction, I was hooked, occasionally getting runner's highs, that I can run forever feeling. Walking does not give me that good feeling.

Want to hear something bizarre? My right knee was tender when I went in and when I came out, it did not hurt. Hmm, could this be psychosomatic? :)

Well the pricing at the Y is a $75 sign up fee, and $60 a month for my age bracket and no contract. They have exercise machines, weight machine and free weights. All the group progames there are free. Is this a good price?

I had a friend who was working out down at the local fitness club before it became a Lifetime Fitness and he was paying a ridiculous low amount of $24 a month for something like 15 days a month. I did not stop by, but should have, because Lifetime does not post their pricing online. It must be a secret, or part of a ploy, to have you to come in so they can manipulate you with all their gee wiz stuff, lol. I signed up on the web site and someone is supposed to call me. It probably won't be today.

Anyway, anyone in a fitness club that has a pool? What do you pay a month and what kind of a commitment? What do you think is a reasonable amount to pay? I'm sure prices vary depending on location, in the big city, or in the suburbs, etc. Thanks :)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Is this a good price?
Perhaps this depends a little on your region and city, but wow, that's expensive. I'm a member of Anytime Fitness and I pay $32 per month, I pay for a full year at a time, $385. We don't have a pool at my location, but I can go to any Anytime Fitness on Earth any time day or night. My location has plenty of machine weights, cardio equipment and free weights as well as a room for classes and Spinning and other various activities.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Perhaps this depends a little on your region and city, but wow, that's expensive. I'm a member of Anytime Fitness and I pay $32 per month, I pay for a full year at a time, $385. We don't have a pool at my location, but I can go to any Anytime Fitness on Earth any time day or night. My location has plenty of machine weights, cardio equipment and free weights as well as a room for classes and Spinning and other various activities.

Thanks. :) Lifetime did call me back and they told me they no longer do contracts, they are currently running a special of $39 signup and $69 a month. This still puts the Y ahead long term.

There is an Anytime Fitness in the vicinity (but farther away), but I'll check on their prices just to see what they charge here.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

This has turned into an outstanding suggestion. Thanks! :D

sport-swimming.png

Swimming is an incredible exercise for young, but especially old bodies who can't take hammering on their joints (from running), very aerobic which is what I was missing from walking, because I was not power walking.

I'm swimming now 3 times a week, 40 laps a session (25M pool) with a target of 50 laps. I started with 10 laps, then 15, then 20, 24, then 30, 32, 36, and now 40 over the period of 45 days. I swam (not competitively) when I was young, and one of the big adjustments is getting my breathing down.

And second big thing I did was switch to the tight swim trunks which I estimate give me a 20% advantage over the general use swim trunks that felt like dragging diapers up and down the lane. Don't want to wear diapers before my time. ;) Anyway I'm hooked. I estimate I'll be doing this religiously just like I used to run as long as my joints don't act up. So far so good. My wife competitively swam in high school/college, but gave it up due to elbow issues. Fortunately I'm not competitively swimming. :)

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Nice!

And for those who don't have access to a pool or don't want to deal with the hassle of changing, getting all wet, showering off, changing again, etc. The elliptical is a great "low impact" cardio workout. It doesn't provide as strong of a workout as swimming, but it does give you a nice cardio workout without killing your joints. I use the elliptical almost exclusively for cardio workouts (aside from hiking). Such a smooth, painless way to get a cardio workout.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Nice!

And for those who don't have access to a pool or don't want to deal with the hassle of changing, getting all wet, showering off, changing again, etc. The elliptical is a great "low impact" cardio workout. It doesn't provide as strong of a workout as swimming, but it does give you a nice cardio workout without killing your joints. I use the elliptical almost exclusively for cardio workouts (aside from hiking). Such a smooth, painless way to get a cardio workout.
Much agreed. I use the elliptical a lot for my cardio. I only walk when I use a treadmill.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Much agreed. I use the elliptical a lot for my cardio. I only walk when I use a treadmill.

Although when traveling, i frequently relied on the exercise room and over the years I've owned a treadmill, ski machine, and elliptical. But running out doors was my obsession, enjoying the world, the green trees, sunshine, and wind blowing in my hair (when I had more). In the winter, it took more dedication and sometimes a full face mask and sky googles for eye protection (as in -10°F). :D I also liked the aspect when I was out on my run, half way out, I could not merely step off the machine, ie, commitment. :) However, now that running is not an option...swimming has become it for me. I may start visiting the exercise room too, but as it is it takes me 1.5 hr to swim my 40 laps. I assume slow for the long time swimmers here.

As a side note, I wonder how much stress, an elliptical (due to motion of your legs) puts on your knees as compared to swimming?

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Although when traveling, i frequently relied on the exercise room and over the years I've owned a treadmill, ski machine, and elliptical. But running out doors was my obsession, enjoying the world, the green trees, sunshine, and wind blowing in my hair (when I had more). In the winter, it took more dedication and sometimes a full face mask and sky googles for eye protection (as in -10°F). :D I also liked the aspect when I was out on my run, half way out, I could not merely step off the machine, ie, commitment. :) However, now that running is not an option...swimming has become it for me. I may start visiting the exercise room too, but as it is it takes me 1.5 hr to swim my 40 laps. I assume slow for the long time swimmers here.

As a side note, I wonder how much stress, an elliptical (due to motion of your legs) puts on your knees as compared to swimming?
I'm sure swimming is less stressful on all of your joints as it's pretty much like exercising in a weightless environment. Elliptical has to put a little stress on your knees, ankles, etc. but I'm guessing it's marginal.

Reactions: Truefan31 and Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.