Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Stevia and monkfruit are natural. I prefer the former for most drinks. The latter for teas or similar because it has a very slight fruity aftertaste. Aim for the pure extract powders.

Sugar alcohols are fine. You consume a large amount daily in your food, albeit spread out. Don't hurt anything and some are used for other reasons including surgery. When people first try out a blended product, they may experience discomfort due to not being able to process more than a few grams worth which is what they get throughout the day vs. a single exposure.

Of them I prefer organic xylitol. Some misinformed people would claim they're artificial, they're not, because of how they're processed. Most people have never seen sugar cane in person growing. Not the turned stuff at some ethnic market. Even brown sugar or demerara goes through immense processing, which may include the use of animal bones. Even an alternative like coconut sugar which has a nutty caramel flavor is heavily, heavily, heavily processed, even if organic.

The closest you'll get the pure sugar in the steps sense if you only use something like piloncilo or jaggery, the former Mexican the latter Indian. Crush the stalks, barely any filtration, cook it down for hours to days until it becomes rock hard. A good block or cone of it will last indefinitely if kept dry and out of light.

You could try it yourself. Be forewarned, it's a pain in the ass to grate enough to make something as sweet as you would like it. And if memory serves me correct, you're a Minnesotan, and you guys love your sweet food. You'll get a nice workout cranking it across a cheese grate or similar to get enough for your whatever it is you're drinking or eating.

I told @jkcerda this a few years ago but I've got a hunk of piloncilo I bought in 2009 that we've still got today. I keep it in baking paper in a container with some rock salt underneath to avoid moisture buildup. It seems to get tastier with age. It tastes better than any type of sugar I've tried, be it here or halfway across the world in some "**** hole" as a certain citrus fruit disguised as a human being would say.

It was a 2.5 or 3 lb cone when I bought it. I use a bit of it mainly to enhance flavor and not be the sole sweetener. It adds a depth of flavor to chocolate cake if you grate out 50-100 grams of it. Muscavado is the gold standard brown sugar for baking, but it's not match to this stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn and decafjava

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
(Bodybuilders are always hungry)...:D

Stevia and monkfruit are natural. I prefer the former for most drinks. The latter for teas or similar because it has a very slight fruity aftertaste. Aim for the pure extract powders.

Sugar alcohols are fine. You consume a large amount daily in your food, albeit spread out. Don't hurt anything and some are used for other reasons including surgery. When people first try out a blended product, they may experience discomfort due to not being able to process more than a few grams worth which is what they get throughout the day vs. a single exposure.

Of them I prefer organic xylitol. Some misinformed people would claim they're artificial, they're not, because of how they're processed. Most people have never seen sugar cane in person growing. Not the turned stuff at some ethnic market. Even brown sugar or demerara goes through immense processing, which may include the use of animal bones. Even an alternative like coconut sugar which has a nutty caramel flavor is heavily, heavily, heavily processed, even if organic.

The closest you'll get the pure sugar in the steps sense if you only use something like piloncilo or jaggery, the former Mexican the latter Indian. Crush the stalks, barely any filtration, cook it down for hours to days until it becomes rock hard. A good block or cone of it will last indefinitely if kept dry and out of light.

You could try it yourself. Be forewarned, it's a pain in the ass to grate enough to make something as sweet as you would like it. And if memory serves me correct, you're a Minnesotan, and you guys love your sweet food. You'll get a nice workout cranking it across a cheese grate or similar to get enough for your whatever it is you're drinking or eating.

I told @jkcerda this a few years ago but I've got a hunk of piloncilo I bought in 2009 that we've still got today. I keep it in baking paper in a container with some rock salt underneath to avoid moisture buildup. It seems to get tastier with age. It tastes better than any type of sugar I've tried, be it here or halfway across the world in some "**** hole" as a certain citrus fruit disguised as a human being would say.

It was a 2.5 or 3 lb cone when I bought it. I use a bit of it mainly to enhance flavor and not be the sole sweetener. It adds a depth of flavor to chocolate cake if you grate out 50-100 grams of it. Muscavado is the gold standard brown sugar for baking, but it's not match to this stuff.

I eat bowls of mayonnaise and lard. (Retired athletes DGAF.) :D

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I would eat platters full of freshly made pork rinds, maybe with even a little meat attached for breakfast and lunch the rest of my life if it were somehow healthy.

Air popped popcorn with powdered salt isn't bad either. Just ask Yaxo... LOL.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
To anyone who paces their kitchen looking for something to satisfy a sugar craving, what substitute have you found to be effective other than sugar?

I’ve found that a pickle, a cup of hot herbal tea, something salty like Fritos can stave off the craving for a while. I do have a bag of mini York Peppermint Patties, 50 calories each, and sometimes just one satisfies me for half a day. I know, it’s playing with fire, but it might be better for long term success than total abstinence.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
To anyone who paces their kitchen looking for something to satisfy a sugar craving, what substitute have you found to be effective other than sugar?

I’ve found that a pickle, a cup of hot herbal tea, something salty like Fritos can stave off the craving for a while. I do have a bag of mini York Peppermint Patties, 50 calories each, and sometimes just one satisfies me for half a day. I know, it’s playing with fire, but it might be better for long term success than total abstinence.

So I admit, I also struggle with this. You’ll never catch me eating anything sweet throughout my meal course during the day. It’s the last meal for me in the evening, usually about 9 PM that I get a craving for something sweet, which I have a weakness for baked goods. Keep in mind, I also eat _a lot_ of calories throughout the day for my weight training, but I realize I should resist the complex carbs (I.e Cookies/processed sweets).

So what I would recommend that works for me that involves far less sugar and/or fruit mix, is I like dried fruit, something like cranberries, yogurt covered raisins, yogurt covered almonds, or you could even go as far as chocolate covered raisins, but just use moderation how much you’re actually eating of it, but I find that that works for me that avoids the processed items, but I keep the portions in check for sugar. [Keyword= Portion control.]

But, I don’t see anything wrong sometimes eating things that you really crave, it just shouldn’t be a habit all the time. But for some, you have to shut the kitchen down after certain time in the evening, that helps control your mindset of what you should/should not eat, and your body will adjust to the timing of when you cut off the calories for the evening. Now, that wouldn’t work for me exactly for my specific situation, but it would probably for others.

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Sorry to nitpick @Relentless Power but don't you mean "simple carbs" or maybe "highly processed"? Aren't complex carbs the kind one should normally eat (whole grains, raw fruit etc.)?

Anyway my big weakness is sugar as well. That is something to watch and control/avoid for most of us.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Sorry to nitpick @Relentless Power but don't you mean "simple carbs" or maybe "highly processed"? Aren't complex carbs the kind one should normally eat (whole grains, raw fruit etc.)?

I don’t know if ‘simple carbs’ are translated different for you, but in the bodybuilding world, complex carbs are things like chips, cookies, pretzels, etc. They’re basically food items classified as ‘No-no’ carbs they have no dietary benefit for your body. 😁

Reactions: decafjava

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I don’t know if ‘simple carbs’ are translated different for you, but in the bodybuilding world, complex carbs are things like chips, cookies, pretzels, etc. They’re basically food items classified as ‘No-no’ carbs they have no dietary benefit for your body. ?

Nope, that is not correct.

You're 100% correct, there's no alternative definition to complex vs. simple carbs, in any context, biological, health, or body building.

In fact, here's an article on bodybuilder.com that supports your assertion:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So, I hate cardio. 😁 But yesterday was for a really good cause walking five miles. 50 other agencies, including our agency gathered together for an ‘autism awareness walk’ to raise/donate money to various clubs across our state. It was awesome, and really a polarizing experience to reach out to the community to show our support for autism awareness, and to meet some really special people.

[The really cool thing about this picture, is not just the overhead LED lights from the squad cars, but look at that sky in the background divided against the dark clouds.] :cool:

78° at 8 PM.
9347A041-8CCF-4A93-98E6-80388B853F01.jpeg

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Nope, that is not correct.

You're 100% correct, there's no alternative definition to complex vs. simple carbs, in any context, biological, health, or body building.

In fact, here's an article on bodybuilder.com that supports your assertion:

Agreed.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Nice gesture. Hopefully we won't see another hievery thread for a while as a result.

You know though, to keep this ‘health oriented’, I actually didn’t run the 5 miles, I walked the entire course (I wore my Brooks Ascend shoes, it’s like walking on air, ridiculously comfortable.), but along the way, I met some really nice people, built a rapport with members of the community and those with special needs. But for those who ran the five miles, some were tactical SWAT guys running in full gear (35 + pounds of equipment added), that’s a challenge on its own.

🤦🏼‍♂️ I remember my first police car.

That must’ve been many many many many years ago.😁 I kid, I kid, but in all seriousness, some of the squad cars that participated from adjacent counties, actually did traffic control for the city, being this was a major event for all the runners/walkers. They made it a fun and safe evening for night cardio.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Let me tell ya😁.... If you haven’t tried these yet, you need to. Protein pancakes, you can use any type of protein powder you want, I use chocolate peanut butter specifically, and it gives these are really unique flavor. [You don’t need to go to ‘heavy’ on the protein powder, otherwise it will override the flavor of the actual pancake.]

Oh, and I did eat all five of these, + a banana, +6 eggs and two glasses of milk.😁

1B071D7A-4E92-463F-9CDC-AA4569A099C6.jpeg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So lately, as the weights are getting heavier, I noticed my hands are fatiguing a little bit more, (especially being I’m in the gym five days a week). I follow quite a few bodybuilders online, and one of them recommended these silicone grips that basically attach to any type of barbell, dumbbell handle, kettle bells, etc.

There like 13-ish dollars on Amazon, and the quality is phenomenal. They’re robust, provide a good grip without your hand sliding around on a metal bar, and they have a fairly deep girth that encompasses the whole palm of your hand evenly when the bar/weight is resting.

Anyways, it’s little products like these that make a significant difference in your work out progression, they attach/detach easily and completely alleviated any fatigue. Outstanding.

FB80CF37-6D6D-4ABB-9FF7-AECB444D0660.jpeg

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
A friend of mine is an executive at one of those fitness companies. I get a few tubs of whey free every other month. Usually goes in a smoothie.

worker73

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
Relentless Power,

A bit OT, but I would like to run a question by you?

I have a Series 5 and just wondered if you use your Apple Watch to time TUT? I am having a bit of a challenge using the stopwatch due to the fact that the AOD goes to just showing the time and I can't quite figure out how time my sets when my hands are occupied. I know using the timer might be an option, but..... Curious if you might have any suggestions?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Relentless Power,

I have a Series 5 and just wondered if you use your Apple Watch to time TUT? I am having a bit of a challenge using the stopwatch due to the fact that the AOD goes to just showing the time and I can't quite figure out how time my sets when my hands are occupied. I know using the timer might be an option, but..... Curious if you might have any suggestions?

Good question. I don’t time my reps for ‘time under tension’, mainly because you have to kind of really slow down your rep range for whatever specific exercise you’re doing, if that makes sense? But as you said, the only thing that I would probably use would be the timer specifically for a set. But in my case, no matter what I’m working, I go to ‘failure’. I’m not sure if I answered your question, but you bring up a good point.

Also, if I wasn’t of help, check with Julien in the ‘activity and fitness thread’ where we Congregate, I bet he would also maybe have an alternative option.

Reactions: worker73

worker73

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
Good question. I don’t time my reps for ‘time under tension’, mainly because you have to kind of really slow down your rep range for whatever specific exercise you’re doing, if that makes sense? But as you said, the only thing that I would probably use would be the timer specifically for a set. But in my case, no matter what I’m working, I go to ‘failure’. I’m not sure if I answered your question, but you bring up a good point.

Also, if I wasn’t of help, check with Julien in the ‘activity and fitness thread’ where we Congregate, I bet he would also maybe have an alternative option.

Thanks for the insights RP!! Appreciate the help.

I may copy and paste the question over on the activity thread as well.

Thanks again!!! :)

Reactions: 44267547

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Relentless Power,

I'm not sure if this would work, but you could check out the Intervals Pro app. It's got the ability to set multiple custom timers, so if you're looking for a repeat set of say 30 sec work with 1 minute rest intervals, it handles that perfectly. There are spoken alerts as well as haptic alerts, up next reminders and halfway alerts.

I used to use it for running, biking and core workouts.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So I’ve been taking a ‘pre-workout powder’ for about a year now, and I tried two different brands with ‘NX6 and Primeval labs’. Both I think which on a higher end on the market for what they charge ($40.00) and results have been consistent. [For those who don’t know, a pre-workout powder is essentially a nitric oxide booster to increase blood flow for the specific muscle group that you’re working during a work out, thus providing a ‘greater pump’ effect.]

Anyways, the problem that I seem to have encountered, [And I’m assuming I’m not the only one], is that once you start taking these powders regularly for the first time, you can feel the effects in the beginning stages for the blood flow to the muscles. The drawback, your body starts to build ‘immunity’ to these powders, which is hard to tell if the powder is still generally working for the pump factor or is it a ‘placebo’ effect on your mind that you _think_ is working.

So I decided that I will stop spending money on these particular pump formulas and revert back to coffee. Coffee has a similar effect as these pump formulas do, at least it has for me in the past.

So, I Purchased the new ‘Keurig mini’ in light of having one cup of coffee about an hour for my new pre-work out. Pretty stoked to use it and long-term, this will save me money from spending $40 a month on pre-workout powder that I’m not sure has affects after prolonged usage.

E9052147-D67A-44EE-A1CC-CF84033A056A.jpeg

Reactions: worker73

worker73

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
I'm not sure if this would work, but you could check out the Intervals Pro app. It's got the ability to set multiple custom timers, so if you're looking for a repeat set of say 30 sec work with 1 minute rest intervals, it handles that perfectly. There are spoken alerts as well as haptic alerts, up next reminders and halfway alerts.

I used to use it for running, biking and core workouts.

That’s a thought for sure!!

Thank you!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Two things:

First. Lately I’ve been switching over to red meat versus just chicken. Eating so much chicken after while, you tend to lose an appetite for it. I think they’re tangible benefits to redmeat, with different vitamins, a little bit higher in fat, but I try to find lean/thin cuts of sirloin/tenderloin far more flavorful, it’s still a great source of protein.

Yeah, I grill a lot. 😁
08218141-91BB-4CEC-AC7E-546C53373683.jpeg

Secondly:

[Day 62 in my second year of body building.]

I did my First shirtless ‘posing routine’ to see the transition of my body with pictures, [I’ve been doing this for 15 months]. I’m pretty happy where I stand currently. I think it’s easy to look in the mirror, but on a daily basis, it’s hard to see the changes. Pictures really do show you the transition of those hard earned ‘Gains’ over the course of time. I did do a ‘day one’ picture when I first started this in July 2018, and overall, I put on a lot of mass in the last 15 months. But it’s not been easy, but I also have a lot of areas of weakness that I need to improve upon. My [strongest] features is I’m very chest dominant, I have a great back, big arms (The triceps look great), decent size traps.

My areas of [weakness] that need improvement is to work on my core, bring up my legs with more size, work on the ‘3-D delt affect’ for my shoulders, and also work on the peak of the bicep (Which easily can be obtained quickly, being it’s a small muscle group and with the help of the brachialis muscle behind the bicep.)

But all together, I definitely feel I have the genetics to be a bodybuilder. It’s been an awesome ride this far and I look forward to the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.