Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Beef tenderloin is always lean, and unless fat like butter is added it’s notoriously tasteless.

I had my tenderloin actually hand-cut from the butcher at my grocery store, you could see him trimming off all the ‘fat edges’. But Yeah, it’s a pretty lean form of meat. I Actually prefer that over sirloin.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Beef tenderloin is a cut I avoid eating. To further Gutwrench's post, not only is it tasteless in terms of that great classic beef flavor, it has a flavor of its own that's not very pleasant. This is why it's basted with butter, served with a sauce, or a decent char of some type. It offsets the flavor the pink meat inside has. If you were to pan cook tenderloin in a high smoke point neutral oil like avocado oil, you can get a nice taste of what the meat tastes like. And because of the cuts closeness to certain organs involving bodily fluids, it'll sometimes carry an off-flavor. Even if you bought it from a premier grass fed beef shop that catered to high end clientele. My sense of taste is pretty good and able to pick up minute flavors.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don’t use any type of butter/margarine or any oils or any sort at all in my diet. That is a huge no-no period. I do use copious amounts of salt (Which keeps the muscles full), Himalayan pink sea salt and other various seasonings [Garlic, turmeric, onion powder, black peppercorn, etc.].

The thing I find the most since I grill at least five days a week, most of my meats are cooked medium well/well, they start to taste the same no matter what grade of meat I’m using after a while. Maybe that’s because that’s all I ever eat or I’m simply use to tasting Char off the grill (Or all the above) . Either way, at the end of the day, I’m not looking to have the finest cut of beef ‘per my liking’ 😁. I’m looking to stuff as much food in my mouth as I can to put on size. That’s the end goal.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I had my tenderloin actually hand-cut from the butcher at my grocery store...

As do I. I ask for the center cut so the steaks are uniform and largest in diameter. I actually like tenderloin because they’re tender, but the only flavor is what’s add during prep because it is an unused and lean muscle.

But personal preference is what matters, but if you’re after beef flavor, as you said, tenderloin isn’t a good choice.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Lately I’ve been switching over to red meat versus just chicken. Eating so much chicken after while, you tend to lose an appetite for it.

Truth. My wife is allergic to beef, pork & turkey, so that leaves chicken and seafood (which is $$). Lately we've been cooking a lot more vegetarian dinners and using beans and nuts for protein.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Truth. My wife is allergic to beef, pork & turkey, so that leaves chicken and seafood (which is $$). Lately we've been cooking a lot more vegetarian dinners and using beans and nuts for protein.

There’s this outstanding Thai restaurant that I like to frequent in my city, and they actually offer something similar to what you were mentioning, they have various protein dishes, but instead of adding different various types of meats (Chicken, shrimp, ect), you can actually use peanuts or almonds as a source of protein in place in the vegetarian dish. Kind of clever for those who want a source of protein, but yet, don’t want the meat. For me, I would kind of have to have the peanuts mixed in with some type of sauce personally, but it works.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
For me, I would kind of have to have the peanuts mixed in with some type of sauce personally, but it works.

We almost always have cashews around. I’ll toss about a cup of cashews in a pan with about 2tsp of oil over medium heat. Takes about 5 minutes, and you constantly have to stir them but they get tender and less crunchy.

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
We almost always have cashews around. I’ll toss about a cup of cashews in a pan with about 2tsp of oil over medium heat. Takes about 5 minutes, and you constantly have to stir them but they get tender and less crunchy.

You know, I honestly think you gave me a solid idea, I think I will try some cashews, stirfry them and mix them in like a chicken or beef dish of some sort. It’s weird, because I don’t really like cashews raw, but frying them (Maybe adding paprika) will probably change the texture and then mixing it in a protein dish, sounds stellar. Thanks for the idea!

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
You know, I honestly think you gave me a solid idea, I think I will try some cashews, stirfry them and mix them in like a chicken or beef dish of some sort. It’s weird, because I don’t really like cashews raw, but frying them (Maybe adding paprika) will probably change the texture and then mixing it in a protein dish, sounds stellar. Thanks for the idea!

We mix the cashews, a bag of stir-fry blend frozen veggies and a couple of packets of ramen noodles (throw away the season packet). Sauce is a mixture of soy sauce, garlic & ginger powder, maybe some peanut butter, red pepper flakes. Add sriracha if you like it (I do, family doesn’t).

For added protein, you could also add some egg either scrambled or egg drop soup style while cooking the ramen.

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The drawback, your body starts to build ‘immunity’ to these powders, which is hard to tell if the powder is still generally working for the pump factor or is it a ‘placebo’ effect on your mind that you _think_ is working.

So I decided that I will stop spending money on these particular pump formulas and revert back to coffee. Coffee has a similar effect as these pump formulas do, at least it has for me in the past

Update to the above post:

So I’ve been off nitric oxide powder (A.k.A-It’s for the Pump for the gym) for two weeks exactly, and I reverted to drinking coffee prior to the gym, (one hour before). I usually have 2 K-Cups mixed with creamer/sugar.

I feel the results are exactly the same that coffee is providing V.s. using Nitric oxide powder, I don’t feel that the ‘pump’ is affected at all in terms of weightlifting. Now, my intensity is fairly high when I train, thus the blood flow should be intensified for whatever muscle group you’re training.

I realize no one in here really takes nitric oxide powder, but if it reaches at least one person who spends at least $45-$50 a month on pump powder [As I have], this would probably be a decent cost savings in terms of the effects that coffee can provide in relation.

Obviously the other advantage to coffee, is the kick in energy. It also helps that I have a lot of natural stamina, but the coffee definitely gives you a boost from the caffeine.

Oh...And I freakin love my Keurig!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Double Post...😁

Another new product to share with you today. I tried purchasing a smaller set of compression wrist wraps. These are made by ‘Hirui’ [$10.00 on Amazon]. But these have a really unique design, you put your hand through a cufflink first, then you wrap the strap around your hand, and the Velcro is almost industrial-strength, so they won’t slip or come loose. Outstanding product.

[Oh, bonus, it snowed 8 inches last night, but yet reached 48° today. As you can see from the green grass in the background].
8FDEC544-F04F-4B5F-A9AB-AC038E4F156D.jpeg

7FE3A97B-8827-472C-8A5A-CF0CAD037F03.jpeg

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I took nitric oxide for several years. Caffeine is a vasodilator and some studies show it increases NO with others showing it decreased NO exhalation.

If you feel it isn’t a benefit then you should discontinue it. Results vary and that’s what’s its about: results.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
It's a fairly useless supplement. If you want a great pump just buy c. malate powder online. Comes unflavored and it tastes weird. You only need about 3 grams really. I pay about $50 for just over 1,000 grams. I use a 1 g dosage before long runs. 2-3 g if I'm heading to the gym. I say 3 g because it's easier to sprinkle it into a cup or mug but sometimes too much goes in. It's fairly useful for increasing your maximal oxygen intake.

@Relentless Power: If you still want to play with nitric oxide, start drinking beet juice. Your body will convert it into nitric oxide internally. It does taste abysmal, but I can give you a name of a brand I drink here and there when I'm feeling like I'm getting a cold. It's organic, preserved with lemon juice, and sort of tastes alright.

There's a lot of benefits to eating beets. I prefer them slow roasted. Tell your girlfriend to clean out the grocery store of beets. Scrub them in the sink and roast them in a foil lined cake pan or two and cover with a half inch of water on the bottom. You can also pre peel them but screw that mess.
[automerge]1572419911[/automerge]
Caffeine is a vasodilator and some studies show it increases NO with others showing it decreased NO exhalation.
Yeah and if you go down that path, buy a caffeine pill. Break it in half if a single 200 mg dose is too much for your body. It won't be a perfect dose, but it'll be less. Plus, you won't be swinging by the porcelain throne an hour into your shift.
[automerge]1572419976[/automerge]
Double Post...😁

Another new product to share with you today. I tried purchasing a smaller set of compression wrist wraps. These are made by ‘Hirui’ [$10.00 on Amazon]. But these have a really unique design, you put your hand through a cufflink first, then you wrap the strap around your hand, and the Velcro is almost industrial-strength, so they won’t slip or come loose. Outstanding product.

[Oh, bonus, it snowed 8 inches last night, but yet reached 48° today. As you can see from the green grass in the background].
View attachment 873420

View attachment 873427
I'm curious about this. Is this for wrist pain or keeping the wrists locked doing a military press or working with dumbbells? There's no thumb hook to overtighten.

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah and if you go down that path, buy a caffeine pill.

Nope, I stopped all supplementation ten plus years ago when I stopped serious training. Actually, pushing fifteen now. Oh how time flies. There was plenty of caffeine in the supplements I took then. No need for a caffeine pill.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
@Zenithal

Thanks for the info about beet juice. I’m completely open to trying natural remedies from fruits/vegetables. Honestly, I’ve never heard of for a pump factor in the gym, but I say let’s try it. (Really, I will, And I’ll add some lemon juice to boot.)

Speaking of, There is one IFBB Pro bodybuilder (Sadik HadZovic) that I follow and he actually drinks ‘pickle juice’ before he goes to the gym [He also eats them) , which is loaded with sodium, he’s made a comment numerous times that he gets a massive pump in the gym.

Also regarding caffeine, I really don’t drink caffeine at all, with the exception of coffee as of recent. It doesn’t affect me in a way that I feel I need to go the bathroom regularly, but I also feel that it doesn’t restrict me from achieving a good pump in the gym either.

The problem I have a nitric oxide powders (I use Non-stim), is that they do work, but it’s like anything, your body will build immunity to it, and how do you know it’s really working anymore to a point where it’s not a placebo effect on your mind? Which then leads the athlete to use more than two scoops, which is _not_ recommended. Plus, do your homework on these powders, some of them you use garbage ingredients that are not good for your body, and as a bodybuilder myself, I wouldn’t want to put anything in my body that would ultimately harm/hinder my health.

Lastly, as for the wrist compression straps, for me, it’s not for pain at all (wrist compression straps can help alleviate wrist soreness in addition). What it does, is it locks your wrist in, which also helps to lift heavier keeping your wrist structured without pulling to much on the tendons, especially with dumbbells for hammer curls/regular curls, and it’s a safe practice to keep your wrist secure when you’re lifting heavier in general. It’s pretty much a staple that most bodybuilders wear these when they do go heavier on certain compound and isolation movements.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Nope, I stopped all supplementation ten plus years ago when I stopped serious training. Actually, pushing fifteen now. Oh how time flies. There was plenty of caffeine in the supplements I took then. No need for a caffeine pill.
I wasn't directing that at you. Besides, you've often stated how you're past your prime.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Pickle juice is pretty nice with vodka. Really, anything is. Even a brownie dunked into it.

I plan on trying the pickle juice, actually I take that back, I’ll probably just end up eating pickle spears to see how that transcends inside the gym for the Pump. But I plan on making a grocery run on Thursday to pick up the beet juice with lemon juice. (Maybe add some sugar in there to make the taste less pungent?)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Sometimes this thread feels like this:

:D
[automerge]1572472696[/automerge]

Same here, I'm still pretty fit, I workout: cardio, HIIT, weights, still occasionally hit the mat to keep those skills frosty, but I'm all about __life__, my little G, my wife, hitting the occasional wave, engaging in as much experience as possible (doing NYC in a few), as you get older and I'd hope wiser, too much focus on any one thing, especially if it restricts life, isn't the best decision. :)

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.