Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Back to lap swimming after the holidays. It's the only effective way to control weight and sleep better in my case. Also not weather dependent and the pool is close by.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Back to lap swimming after the holidays. It's the only effective way to control weight and sleep better in my case. Also not weather dependent and the pool is close by.
I went to swim on Friday, because of the cold wx, before going I called to verify they were open, yes. But when I got there they were shut and water was spewing from a pipe outside adjacent to the gym’s outside mechanical equipment, maybe pool related, a burst pipe. You’d think that they would figure out by now, that it does freeze here (Houston) during the Winter. :oops:

Reactions: Richard8655

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I went to swim on Friday, because of the cold wx, before going I called to verify they were open, yes. But when I got there they were shut and water was spewing from a pipe outside adjacent to the gym’s outside mechanical equipment, maybe pool related, a burst pipe. You’d think that they would figure out by now, that it does freeze here (Houston) during the Winter. :oops:
It could be this intense Arctic cold wave we have now reached down there that far south. It might have been unexpected for the facility. It's been brutal up here in the Midwest. But swimming laps is great even in Winter (as hard as it sometimes seems). Good for you for sticking with it, as I try to do.

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I considered going out for a run yesterday but it was 18 degrees and windy and my cutoff is usually 22 degrees. The high today is 26 degrees so I'll give it a shot. I'm spoiled in that I have 2 indoor tracks available to me along with treadmills but my gym closed early yesterday and is closed today.

I have the clothes to run in cold weather which came in handy during the pandemic because the gym was closed. But it takes some personal motivation to actually do it.

Reactions: HappyIntro

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
New report out about adequate hydration and health. Drinking not enough water every day can significantly decrease life expectancy and increase chronic diseases. 3.7 liters per day men and 2.7 liters for women minimum recommended. I'll be paying a lot more attention to this along with diet and exercise.

Reactions: Lioness~

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
New report out about adequate hydration and health. Drinking not enough water every day can significantly decrease life expectancy and increase chronic diseases. 3.7 liters per day men and 2.7 liters for women minimum recommended. I'll be paying a lot more attention to this along with diet and exercise.
Do you have a citation for the report you can share? Thanks.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I've been shopping for an Ab Dolly for several weeks and they have been $80 at retailers and I have seen no discounts. I had it in my Amazon cart for about a month. I needed something at Home Depot so I looked at moving dollies and they're $15. So I was going to get one of those and then I ran into a YouTube video on using a barbell - and there's actually an exercise called the barbell rollout and it's the same exercise. I have a barbell and dumbbells in the basement so I tried it out with the dumbbells and it works. I am sore in the abs, shoulders, triceps and chest this morning. I did this exercise for 15 years in a gym that I had access to in the past.

It's a great and fast compound exercise to work a number of muscles. I'd recommend it if you have a weight set at home or you have one of these devices in your gym. It's hard for me to recommend a specific piece of equipment that has one main use for home.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Deep Tissue Massage- Anyone feel like a deep tissue massage makes a difference? I recently got one, 60min, mostly out of curiosity. I told the girl my lower back was bothering me. She started at my feet, moved to my legs, arms, shoulders, and back. She really leaned into me at times, “ouch” worthy. :) I can say after it was all over, I can’t say my back felt any better, and I did not feel particularly refreshed, but I knew I had been manipulated. Next time, if there is a next time, I’ll try the relaxation massage. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It could be this intense Arctic cold wave we have now reached down there that far south. It might have been unexpected for the facility. It's been brutal up here in the Midwest. But swimming laps is great even in Winter (as hard as it sometimes seems). Good for you for sticking with it, as I try to do.
Temps here only got down to the mid-20sF, this should not resilt in burst pipes if there is any serious attitude regarding prep for the cold snaps that do happen here on occasion, especially for a successful corporation.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Hydration have never been difficult to me. I have 4 types of bottles that I use daily. 2 x 1 liter + 1 x 2 liter for water + 1 liter for Kombucha.
Not always emptying the 2 liter bottle, as it's on my work desk and it's bigger bottle. So it stays there.
But I usually drink up the 2 x 1 liter bottles in bed at morning, and then refill them. Then usually drink up most part of that too, plus part of the 2 l. So my water intake are solid every day, plus the selfmade kombucha.

What had most impact on my total training/yoga/health and wellbeing etc, except water and kombucha, the recent years, are how the Vegan protein have evolved. So love how good that is for my body.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Deep Tissue Massage- Anyone feel like a deep tissue massage makes a difference? I recently got one, 60min, mostly out of curiosity. I told the girl my lower back was bothering me. She started at my feet, moved to my legs, arms, shoulders, and back. She really leaned into me at times, “ouch” worthy. :) I can say after it was all over, I can’t say my back felt any better, and I did not feel particularly refreshed, but I knew I had been manipulated. Next time, if there is a next time, I’ll try the relaxation massage. :)
Good not only for refreshment and relaxation I hear, but also for moderate injuries such as exercise or work-related. But for the back I'd think it would be helpful for tissue/muscle unless some underlying spinal issues.

For me, swimming is really a form of massage therapy in addition to exercise. I used to ride my cross bike long distances. A few years ago I crashed and broke my collar bone. After a few months healing, I hit the pool for regular lap swimming and it was miraculous. Everything seemed to finish healing so well that I stuck with it. And it's sort of a form of meditation. Now only occasionally cycling in summers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lioness~ and Huntn

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Played about 200 minutes of tennis this week and it felt quite good but I was really sore (played 2 days in a row). We played today for free indoors which was extra nice. We just use the courts off-peak. They are incredibly busy in the evening. It's nice to play with the backdrop of the Australian Open too.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Stumbled over this. Bone Broth Diet, Kindle book is $8, I deemed the risk-benefit acceptable.
Do you have any experience with this? Speak up! :D

64100527-0463-40AF-B2B1-FCA86DA11A44.jpeg

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
It's about the collagen and it's fairly known. Nothing new at all.
But the loosing weight department and those people are often quite desperate and not so educated.
But as all reads….you hopefully learn something that is new for you ;)

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Exercise is the key, folks. Walk, run, play sports, whatever, just do something. It's good for your heart and it burns calories, which in turn, helps keep your weight down. Of closure, you need to eat the right things too.

Reactions: Todd H and Huntn

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
It's about the collagen and it's fairly known. Nothing new at all.
But the loosing weight department and those people are often quite desperate and not so educated.
But as all reads….you hopefully learn something that is new for you ;)
I understand collagen from bones and cartilage is a good source for improving bone health, and found in collagen peptide powder supplements. I've never tried this, though.

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Just signed up to a close by gym, and will soon head to the gym for my first spinning class in a few years. Have mostly been into Ashtanga and yoga since years before the pandemic, at studios.

Over the pandemic, it was online alone, and I've been ok with it. As I also have a very robust treadmill at home, that I'm glad that I never sold when it stood there unused a few years. I've had good use of it over the pandemic and some time after.

But now, I surely look forward to get into group training and spinning again - getting the intensity up with group training.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I’ve fallen into a habit of running twice a day this summer. It’s been very enjoyable and a nice change of pace. With that said my gym visits dropped off. I returned to the gym this weekend and predictably my conditioning fell off. I had to use lower weights then the beginning of the summer / you win some, you lose some

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I'm 5'6". Years ago I weighed 275 pounds, I weigh 140 pounds today.

The things I did to lose weight were:
* eat only when hungry
* never eat to the point of being full
* go to bed hungry
* I removed dairy and pork products from my diet
* I replaced all drinks with water

My meals are no larger than my fist. If that means eating 5 meals per day then I eat 5 meals per day. The first meal of the day has been plain oatmeal and dry toast, this has gone on for over a decade.

I recently had a physical examination and the results were:
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 140 pounds
Blood pressure: 112 over 78
Medications: none
Medical issues: none

Years ago, when I weighed 275, my doctor told me that I likely wouldn't see retirement if I didn't lose weight. I still see this doctor and she is amazed at the transformation. It takes the willpower of a warrior, but I like to think there is a little warrior in all of us :)

Jeffrey Hart

macrumors member
May 9, 2023
I’m 5’9” and tonight I weighed 204 lbs. Incidentally enough, I am actually trying to gain weight (in the form of muscle). I work out at a local gym three times per week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday mornings) and I eat pretty much everything I like, not skipping meals and making sure to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with snacks in between. The most I have ever weighed was 209.6 lbs. I love weight training.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I’ve fallen into a habit of running twice a day this summer. It’s been very enjoyable and a nice change of pace. With that said my gym visits dropped off. I returned to the gym this weekend and predictably my conditioning fell off. I had to use lower weights then the beginning of the summer / you win some, you lose some

Excellent habit. I like to run in the summer when it's available as the weather gets nasty here in the winter. But there are limits but I think that there's overall benefit to doing a variety of activities as time permits.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Enjoy it while you can…(the scope I’m referencing is decades). :oops:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.