Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
7 years on how is OP Doing with his weight?

I am 54, Probably 5-6 years ago (maybe a little more) I was roughly 270 lbs. Through lots of exercise and changing my eating habits I got down to 185-190 and was looking pretty lean. I had thought I made a complete lifestyle change but apparently I hadn't as things started going down hill near the start of 2019 or 2020.

It started with a tray of Baclava from Costco which I finished in like two days and than each month I'd rationalize away some other "treat" I could binge on. " I'll eat this pint of ice cream than workout extra hard this week ", that type of thing.

Well, its now Feb of 2022 and I am back up to 218-220. Trying to keep the eating under control but its a challenge. Gym isn't happening because it is a far drive and I am burned out from driving. I did buy a peloton and manage to get in 20-45 min a day on that.

Hoping to get back down to the 190 range by the end of summer but at my age, and unless I am able to somehow motivate myself to make the 30 min drive back to the gym on a routine basis and get in weight training it may not happen
One of the fortunate things is I am surrounded by gyms and a couple of pools within 4 miles. I wish you the best in this struggle to stay in shape. When I was 18, I didn’t think that it was a struggle. :)

I’m still working out 3 times a week, two 2500 yard swims, 1 gym session with stretches, mat work, and weights. I‘m in the 50-120lb weight lifting range. The top of that range is on machines for exercising the core.

My weight? I got down to a low of 209 last summer, but now I’m back up to 215. It’s so much about calorie intake and I just don’t eat that much and I’m not going to starve myself either. The reality is, I look in the mirror and just forget about ever looking “good” again. Actually I look like a slightly younger version of my 93 year old father. Sure, there is quite a difference, but I see where this is headed. ;) Actually he controls his weight better than I do. But as far as I know I am healthy which is all I can ask for. Will turn 69 this year.

I think I already said this previously but to recap ?… I remember when after having a life as a chubby kid (not fat or obiese) it was like finding the holy grail when I discovered the football team in high school, and they made me run. I was 5’10” and about 185lb. Then I fell in love with running and with a minimal amount of devotion, three 5 mile runs a week, I became a 160lb running fool. I could eat WHATEVER I wanted, life was grand and I was never going to be fat again, and I became something of a fat critic, (although I never picked on anyone, I thought it) after all it’s so easy to fix, why can’t you fix it?…until something happened to my metabolism, “aging”.

Over a 25 year period, it no longer served me the way it used too, and then my back started bothering me, and walking, unless you are power walking just does not cut it. So long story short, the pool, gym, and yard work, has staved off total couch potato implosion.

For those of you who are young, enjoy it will you can. There are exceptions, but you’ll never feel as good as you do now. And wherever you are at, unless you actively resist though physical activity, and even then it‘s usually the slow downhill march to the end. But that’s what life is all about isn’t it, enjoy it while you can. Amen. ;)

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
However, what you do need is motivation and an itinerary to follow.

Motivation is what I’ve been lacking so far this year. Fortunately, it’s not burnout, but I’ve also had some household projects including re-doing the garage which is where my bike, treadmill and weights are.

ipsedixit

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
7 years on how is OP Doing with his weight?

I am 54, Probably 5-6 years ago (maybe a little more) I was roughly 270 lbs. Through lots of exercise and changing my eating habits I got down to 185-190 and was looking pretty lean. I had thought I made a complete lifestyle change but apparently I hadn't as things started going down hill near the start of 2019 or 2020.

It started with a tray of Baclava from Costco which I finished in like two days and than each month I'd rationalize away some other "treat" I could binge on. " I'll eat this pint of ice cream than workout extra hard this week ", that type of thing.

Well, its now Feb of 2022 and I am back up to 218-220. Trying to keep the eating under control but its a challenge. Gym isn't happening because it is a far drive and I am burned out from driving. I did buy a peloton and manage to get in 20-45 min a day on that.

Hoping to get back down to the 190 range by the end of summer but at my age, and unless I am able to somehow motivate myself to make the 30 min drive back to the gym on a routine basis and get in weight training it may not happen
I think we have to perhaps rethink how we view both diet and exercise, especially how diet and exercise interact.

The best, and probably the most viably consistent, way to lose weight and keep it off is diet. Not exercise.

You simply cannot out exercise an unbalanced diet. Yes, unbalanced, not "bad" diet. There is no such thing as a good or bad diet, or dirty or clean eating.

Food is food. Food is meant to nourish us, some foods have higher nutritional value than others, but the ones with less nutritional quotient are not "bad" or "dirty." A Twinkie, for example, may have less nutritional value than, say, an apple, but that in and of itself does not make the Twinkie "bad" or "dirty" in the pejorative sense. It is simply less nutritious than the apple, but it still can nourish the body -- at a minimum, it provides simple carbs for fuel.

So if we view food as a source of nutrition and fuel, then the easiest way to reduce weight (and to keep it off) is readjust the number of calories we take in.

While we can also adjust the number of calories we expend, either through daily activity (i.e., NEAT) or through intentional activity (i.e., exercise) it is much more difficult to lose weight and maintain it simply relying on exercise. Because 20 minutes on the treadmill will burn something like 100 calories for the average 150 lb man. But one slice of bread will more than negate those calories burned.

What exercise does for us, and what we should view exercise as, is something to maintain and improve our overall health. Either in terms of cardiovascular capacity, muscular development, mobility, or general strength.

We should want to exercise, and view it as a privilege.

We should not exercise in order to eat.

We should eat in order to be able to exercise and enjoy the benefits of exercise.

That, in my opinion, is not only the key to long term weight management, but long term health and longevity.

Reactions: adrianlondon

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Motivation is what I’ve been lacking so far this year. Fortunately, it’s not burnout, but I’ve also had some household projects including re-doing the garage which is where my bike, treadmill and weights are.
Oddly enough, it’s the busyness of my work life outside the gym that motivates me to ensure I make my workout schedule in the evening. I can’t stand to miss my workout days, because I have a specific scheduled targeted workouts on certain days (I.e-Monday-Arms/legs, Tuesday-Shoulders-triceps, Wednesdays-Back……ect). So by missing one day, throws my entire workout week regiment off. I have a 4 on-3 off workout schedule, which I found is ideal for how I train.

Aside from that, the Gym is my sanctuary. I’m all business for that 90 minutes.:D

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
More sorta-kinda fancy presentation…:D

In terms of eating healthy, it’s pretty amazing what the air-fryer is capable of, and totally avoiding cooking in oil, especially with wings (These were garlic pepper). The dressing that I’m using is ‘Marzetti’, it’s light on calories, but not short on flavor, and includes a mixture of lemon juice, and red wine vinegar added to the Caesar, with no other garbage filler.

4ABAB101-9EAD-443F-A4FB-5D4445BE98B0.jpeg

Last edited:

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I have been trying to lose weight for years. Mostly using the carbs in carbs out method which never seem to work for me. I saw a UTUBE video about a year ago concerning intermittent fasting and Keto. I am down 35 pounds in the last year since using this method and i hope to be able to maintain it long term. I have switched from 3 meals a day to 2 meals a day and have cut out most Carbohydrates like bread, pasta rice and all processed foods etc. I was never big on sugar and always avoided it but then discovered how much of it is in everything else we eat. What is really interesting is that i do not miss the extra meal and do not fell hungry. I guess the body gets used to it. I have always exercised regularly with mostly swimming and cycling and still continue to do so.

The video i watched took us back to the hunter gatherer days and the fact that we only ate when we made a kill and the concept of processed food and eating three time a day is relatively new in terms of the evolution of man.

Lets be honest i break the rules sometimes and would have a burger or some ice-cream if i really want it but I then try to make up for it in other ways. The idea is basically to minimise your Carbs and force the body to burn Keto's for energy.

Last edited:

Bow Commander

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
I have been trying to lose weight for years. Mostly using the carbs in carbs out method which never seem to work for me. I saw a UTUBE video about a year ago concerning intermittent fasting and Keto. I am down 35 pounds in the last year since using this method and i hope to be able to maintain it long term. I have switched from 3 meals a day to 2 meals a day and have cut out most Carbohydrates like bread, pasta rice and all processed foods etc. I was never big on sugar and always avoided it but then discovered how much of it is in everything else we eat. What is really interesting is that i do not miss the extra meal and do not fell hungry. I guess the body gets used to it. I have always exercised regularly with mostly swimming and cycling and still continue to do so.

The video i watched took us back to the hunter gatherer days and the fact that we only ate when we made a kill and the concept of processed food and eating three time a day is relatively new in terms of the evolution of man.

Lets be honest i break the rules sometimes and would have a burger or some ice-cream if i really want it but I then try to make up for it in other ways. The idea is basically to minimise your Carbs and force the body to burn Keno's for energy.
Which meal do you feel successful eliminating? I've thought about trying this method and skipping lunch. I'd eat at 7:30am and again at 6pm.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Which meal do you feel successful eliminating? I've thought about trying this method and skipping lunch. I'd eat at 7:30am and again at 6pm.
That is exactly what i do Breakfast and Dinner only and yes Dinner is generally about 6.30. i also try to delay breakfast as much as possible because if you can get the period between dinner and breakfast in excess of 12 hours or more it helps.

Reactions: Bow Commander

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I skip breakfast and drink a protein shake for lunch, then try to eat a meal but be done by 6pm. The hardest issue is skipping all snacks after the shake, and I’m not talking about gorging on food, just some cracker or cookie defeats me, or when my wife brings a box of See’s Chocolates into the house, damn her! ;)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Chili Verde’ wild caught Alaskan Salmon:
F4E94819-E788-4066-A0FC-F1FD46EFBCD9.jpeg

Now, off to the gym for cardio and then training chest.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Eating healthy diet does not ensure that you will lose weight. Your weight is a balance between the calories you take in and the calories you burn. You will lose weight if you burn off more calories than you take in, and you will gain weight if you eat more calories than you burn off.
Very true, a simple equation, consumption vs burning calories that becomes more complicated and difficult with aging, which along with reduction in physical abilities, significantly changes the metrics of exercise as metabolism slows.

If I am a common example, the effort expended in your 20s results 2-4X the results of the same effort expended in your 60s. At almost 70, I have have doubled my time devoted to dedicated exercise, with relatively less to show for it. Yet without doubt, this effort makes a significant difference in the big picture, although I am about 40lbs above my desired weight (5’10”). I burn about 1500 calories a week based on dedicated exercise, this does not count other activities like yard work.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Very true, a simple equation, consumption vs burning calories that becomes more complicated and difficult with aging, which along with reduction in physical abilities, significantly changes the metrics of exercise as metabolism slows.

If I am a common example, the effort expended in your 20s results 2-4X the results of the same effort expended in your 60s. At almost 70, I have have doubled my time devoted to dedicated exercise, with relatively less to show for it. Yet without doubt, this effort makes a significant difference in the big picture, although I am about 40lbs above my desired weight (5’10”). I burn about 1500 calories a week based on dedicated exercise, this does not count other activities like yard work.

Your time in the gym results in better Quality of Life, though. Losing muscle mass crimps QoL and can result in injury.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Physique update:

As a bodybuilder/weightlifter, back in the beginning of December, I weighed in at 232 standing barely at 5’8, which I felt like I was slow and my stamina was definitely lacking. I just feel like toting around muscle/body mass achieved the look I wanted, but doesn’t benefit me in the same where I was missing other key factors.

So I cut down from 232 to 214 (Which I hit my Target weight by February 3), upped my cardio to 4-5 days for 20 minutes daily on a treadmill at speed 4.1 (Which is basically a brisk jog), lowered my protein intake by 32g, and upped my carbs just slightly to keep the muscle fullness. In light of all of that, my intensity in the gym is just a strong and I haven’t noticed any strength decreases. If anything, I’m more in a ‘calorie burn mode’ with the added cardio, plus weight training.

I think what I learned is, cardio is equally, if not more important just as weight training. Even though weight training is massive part of my passion, you need the cardio to keep your core tight, build stamina and spike that caloric burn to earn that post workout meal to refuel. Weight training and cardio really do work in tandem, And I’m glad I improved that area.
Oh, and it’s nice to see there’s no restrictions in gyms around here anymore with hours/masking. [I still work out very late in the morning around 3 AM, but it’s made life a lot easier.]

Reactions: Huntn

ipsedixit

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
Physique update:

As a bodybuilder/weightlifter, back in the beginning of December, I weighed in at 232 standing barely at 5’8, which I felt like I was slow and my stamina was definitely lacking. I just feel like toting around muscle/body mass achieved the look I wanted, but doesn’t benefit me in the same where I was missing other key factors.

So I cut down from 232 to 214 (Which I hit my Target weight by February 3), upped my cardio to 4-5 days for 20 minutes daily on a treadmill at speed 4.1 (Which is basically a brisk jog), lowered my protein intake by 32g, and upped my carbs just slightly to keep the muscle fullness. In light of all of that, my intensity in the gym is just a strong and I haven’t noticed any strength decreases. If anything, I’m more in a ‘calorie burn mode’ with the added cardio, plus weight training.

I think what I learned is, cardio is equally, if not more important just as weight training. Even though weight training is massive part of my passion, you need the cardio to keep your core tight, build stamina and spike that caloric burn to earn that post workout meal to refuel. Weight training and cardio really do work in tandem, And I’m glad I improved that area.
Oh, and it’s nice to see there’s no restrictions in gyms around here anymore with hours/masking. [I still work out very late in the morning around 3 AM, but it’s made life a lot easier.]
Yeah, cardio works your heart. Weight lifting works all of your other muscles (except for the brain).

Neither is really a substitute for the other; they really are complements.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah, cardio works your heart. Weight lifting works all of your other muscles (except for the brain).

Neither is really a substitute for the other; they really are complements.
I’m not really arguing with you but lifting as little as two 15lb hand weights, doing 20 rep sets, sitting and rising to standing with hands above my head holding these weights, at the end of a set my heart is thumping and feels like cardio. :)

• Haha
Reactions: jdechko

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m not really arguing with you but lifting as little as two 15lb hand weights, doing 20 rep sets, sitting and rising to standing with hands above my head holding these weights, at the end of a set my heart is thumping and feels like cardio. :)
Absolutely correct.

And it’s all about your intensity. Heck, even when I start stretching with a resistance band over my head from the front and back for 3 minutes, will boost my body temperature and put blood flow into my shoulders.

It’s really not about how much weight you’re lifting, but how much effort and exertion you put into it. I choose not to lift heavy, mainly because I value my joints and I want be lifting for years to come.

ipsedixit

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
Agreed.

This is why I love working out with kettlebells.

It's metabolic conditioning at its best.

kevinadams12

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2022
Create an environment that makes it easier to eat well and exercise daily. Join GYMR, a workout program for lazy people that is really easy and effective. Get a coach if you need help with proper nutrition. Don't use the words "diet" or "dieting" when referring to your new eating plan. It puts up mental blocks because of all of the negative connotations linked to dieting over the years. Include a weekly day off from eating healthy, but don’t “cheat” either; have a fantastic meal with great wine, no calories counted for that day.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Create an environment that makes it easier to eat well and exercise daily. Join GYMR, a workout program for lazy people that is really easy and effective. Get a coach if you need help with proper nutrition. Don't use the words "diet" or "dieting" when referring to your new eating plan. It puts up mental blocks because of all of the negative connotations linked to dieting over the years. Include a weekly day off from eating healthy, but don’t “cheat” either; have a fantastic meal with great wine, no calories counted for that day.
Lifestyle change, can it be maintained? ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yup. But social support really helps.
I’ve always exercised, well since 11th grade, but after running failed me (or better said, my aging body failed me) I turned to swimming and the gym. I had a really good work out on Wed, and feel good about myself until I look in the mirror, then I ask myself, why bother? :oops:I devote twice as much time now exercising as compared to when I ran. Well I know the answer, what would I look and feel like if I did not? :)

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
I can tell you that even after undergoing a lifestyle change, your life is still going to undergo change. I lost nearly 100lbs in 2010 when I finally got fed up. Spent 3 hours in the gym every day, ate like I was a prisoner in some Gulag for a whole year. My biggest fear was that as soon as I stopped living in the gym and eating like a bird it would all come back with a vengence. This was in my late 40's... when people are naturally pre-disposed to become obese.

It's been over 10 years now and I haven't been to a gym in years. I eat what I want to eat (note that I don't eat out nor do I really consume the kinds of things I used to either). I'm actually 15lbs lighter today than when I was a gym rat. Muscle weighs more and age decreases your muscle mass... so I am not nearly as physically fit, but then I'm not fat now either.

I chose a more physical job over that of a sedentary one after my weight loss. This means I'm not sitting for the preponderance of my day like I was prior to 2010. Movement is key... especially when you start to get older.

The reality is, there is no quick fix to anything. If you expect a massive change in a short period of time, it won't last. And if you return to your old habits because your friends encourage it, you need new friends. You don't need alcohol nor lattes to get through your day. Might as well serve up cake at every meal because that it what you are consuming calorie-wise.

Water may be boring, but that's what your body prefers. Every ounce of water you drink is one less ounce of something else that you don't need. Any opportunity to get up and moving is an opportunity to escape a sedentary life. People may call this a lifestyle change... I call it common sense. Common sense isn't so common... so don't assume it comes naturally.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I can tell you that even after undergoing a lifestyle change, your life is still going to undergo change. I lost nearly 100lbs in 2010 when I finally got fed up. Spent 3 hours in the gym every day, ate like I was a prisoner in some Gulag for a whole year. My biggest fear was that as soon as I stopped living in the gym and eating like a bird it would all come back with a vengence. This was in my late 40's... when people are naturally pre-disposed to become obese.

It's been over 10 years now and I haven't been to a gym in years. I eat what I want to eat (note that I don't eat out nor do I really consume the kinds of things I used to either). I'm actually 15lbs lighter today than when I was a gym rat. Muscle weighs more and age decreases your muscle mass... so I am not nearly as physically fit, but then I'm not fat now either.

I chose a more physical job over that of a sedentary one after my weight loss. This means I'm not sitting for the preponderance of my day like I was prior to 2010. Movement is key... especially when you start to get older.

The reality is, there is no quick fix to anything. If you expect a massive change in a short period of time, it won't last. And if you return to your old habits because your friends encourage it, you need new friends. You don't need alcohol nor lattes to get through your day. Might as well serve up cake at every meal because that it what you are consuming calorie-wise.

Water may be boring, but that's what your body prefers. Every ounce of water you drink is one less ounce of something else that you don't need. Any opportunity to get up and moving is an opportunity to escape a sedentary life. People may call this a lifestyle change... I call it common sense. Common sense isn't so common... so don't assume it comes naturally.

You can fix weight problems with diet alone and it's easier than working out overall. But I really like doing both.

I played tennis two days in a row and I'm really sore right now and I am going to bail on tennis today. In general, three days in a row is a bad idea for me as the risk of injury goes way up. So I'm just going to run, spin and lift today.

ipsedixit

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
You can fix weight problems with diet alone and it's easier than working out overall. But I really like doing both.

I played tennis two days in a row and I'm really sore right now and I am going to bail on tennis today. In general, three days in a row is a bad idea for me as the risk of injury goes way up. So I'm just going to run, spin and lift today.
I thinks of diet as a tool to control my weight.

I think of exercise as a tool to improve my overall metabolic health markers.

While the two -- diet and exercise -- have some overlap, dividing and conquer approach with respect to diet and exercise is a more efficient approach.

As they say, you cannot use exercise to compensate for a bad diet and (more crtiically) you cannot use diet to compensate for a unhealthy lifestyle.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
2023 needs to be my year (again) of health. 2020 and 2021 were pretty good to me. 2022 I fell off the exercise and calorie limits pretty hard. Hurt my left Achilles (inflamed, not torn) almost a year ago after running a 5K and almost 12 months later it’s still hard to jog more than 15 minutes without it acting up. Gained almost 20 lbs as a result.

Just had delivered a Peloton rower last week. Supposedly rowing is a good full body workout, so here’s looking at some improvements over the next year. And over a week it hasn’t flared up my Achilles much. 🤞

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.