Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Because you can! Life is short, live dangerously. :)

But seriously, Security. I never used Android however I’ve had to straighten out my sisters Android phone more than a few times. I gave her my 6s and she will tell you herself, that her iPhone is the best phone she ever used.

She’s had the 6s two years now, no more malware. Granted she is not tech savvy.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I love my 6S. Got it for $149 at Best Buy. My mom, dad and sister's work phone are 6S. I love the smaller 4.7 display over the plus personally. Brings back the good days of my Galaxy S3 (but only in screen, the Android experience left much to be desired). Seems to be a highly popular iPhone in reviews to this day. I just prefer having a home button and headphone jack, it's the closest I have to my old 4 from 2010.

Reactions: maxjohnson2

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Updates is the best reason IMHO. Apple keeps things current on safety and security. Even a public beta program if you're so inclined. Google can't even get current updates out on their own Pixel 4's, being late over the past couple of months. If the updates have to go thru a carrier, it's even worse.
Samsung 10 beta had the December security patch a week before Dec 1. Project Treble has mad updates fast along with separating carrier from core OS. Apple knows their rollout of a patch a week and weak support in iOS 13 is a huge issue.

I keep an iPhone and Android phone. Some things better on one than other. And backup.

Some BYGO offers out there.

eustachio

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2019
IMG_20191209_134018.jpg
Purchased today ?

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
If i hadn't already spent my $1.5k on my MBP I'd have tried the 11 Pro. It looks nice. Maybe next year. Discounts FTW

Not sure about the dual/triple cameras though. Wasn't that used for 3D photos once during the HTC days? The One M8 had two cameras but it didn't take very good photos. I'm probably just ignorant but that's all that comes to mind.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

Congratulations enjoy them!

Oh by the way, just to continue driving the point that you made the right decision:

Apple have released iOS 12.4.4 for older iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch that don’t support iOS 13. Literally the iPhone 5S is STILL getting updates 6 years later:

https://appleinformed.com/2019/12/10/ios-12-4-4-is-available-now-for-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-touch/

Lol, when last did the 2013 Android competition get updates?

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
So, I don't need convincing, but my partner does.

Currently we have 2 pixel 3s and with Google Fi pay $85 per month including phone payment that finishes in 11 months.

I want to switch to the iPhone upgrade program, and the best plan I can find for 2 lines it's with Verizon for $72 per month plus taxes. But we would earn a $500 credit to switch to them.

2 iPhone 11s is $70 per month, so about $150 a month total including plan.

Financially it doesn't add up, it is more want than need for sure!

Any compelling argument in favor of switching would be welcomed ?

for you, in the context you have put this, there is absolutely NO reason to switch at all.
it will cost you much more money over the course of yr mobile life.

people switch to iPhone for other reasons.
cost is never one of the reasons.

eustachio

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2019
So, on reflection, it was the right decision for us. We got the pro max. Sure, more expensive than other options, but I’m enjoying this device so much!

It mostly feels more polished than my android phones did, hardware is superb! A few minor niggles I have yet to figure out.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I switched recently from Android to iPhone (11) recently. The only reason for switching is the 4K video recording is significantly better. Otherwise, the Android can pretty much do whatever the iPhone can do. Many features are even better. Better notification, microSD card reader, no eco-system to lock you in (you can switch brands easily), value for money.

I tried the Xiaomi Note 10 Pro before the iPhone and the photo taking was really good, on par with iPhone, but the video recording wasn't that good. That's why I switched. I make a lot of videos by the way.

Ummm there’s more reasons then that. I love the ecosystem and I’m not that locked in since I could easily go back to Android and the only paper weight is my Apple Watch. I find better battery life with iOS and I just find that it works is good for me

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
There Is NO Cost in Leaving Android and Eliminating All Google Signed In Services as I did 3 Years ago.

#1. Do you Value your family’s safety and Security?
#2. What’s the Value of your Personal Privacy and safety ?
#3. Ease of use I got so tired of Every App On Android stealing or asking for Sign in Data and on Android Once your Signed in Good luck Trying to Sign Out.
#4. What’s the Cost of Identity Theft Which the #1. Attacks are Android Apps Targeted to Kids Who Install them on Your Phone While you are busy or distracted takes 30 seconds or so to be compromised.
#5.The Android Kernel was cracked by Russians and Chinese like 3 years ago that’s why No One in the Federal Government is allowed to have an Android Phone at high levels iPhones are ok to use.

Stealing ? Paranoid much ? Android is safe enough

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
We can afford to pay the monthly amount, just trying to justify it ?

My justification would be: I like iPhones way more than Android phones. Way, way more.

But, I mean, that's subjective. Do you prefer iPhones? At the end of the day, all these devices have certain things going for them, but the value of the things they offer is very personal. For example - do you care about having the latest OS version the moment it is out? I do - so I want an iPhone. Or, do you care about iMessage? I do. So I want an iPhone. Or, do you care about certain apps like Things or Bear notes? I do. So - iPhone. But, these may not be important to you and your partner at all.

All I can tell you is repeat my first statement: I really like iPhones more than Android phones, for a plethora of reasons.

Reactions: cdcastillo

psy_duck

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2018
Now all you and your partner need is an apple watch series 5!! perfect combo. congrats on the pro max and welcome!

Anupam439

Suspended
Dec 11, 2019
India
Here are the 6 reasons why
  1. Privacy & security: I think that’s one of the major justifications for making that switch. As already mentioned in this thread repeatedly, there’s no match to the level of privacy offered by Apple. Sure it has few threats but very less vulnerable than Android, without a doubt.
  2. Consistency: Apple has a very consistent performance. I’ve used an iPhone 5s for 5 years and the device was as good as new. Tell me one Android phone that can do that.
  3. Seamless sync: Your google account has your contacts and photos (with photos app), sure. But with Apple ID, all of your data is really at one place. Unbox an iPhone, enter your Apple ID and you’ll have a phone setup just the way you like. Your apps, app folders, wallpaper- everything is right where you put it on your previous iPhone.
  4. The camera: Okay so there’s tight competition in the market, some Android phones have amazing camera. But iPhone pictures are the most untouched, unedited and real. Try any other phone and iPhone simultaneously, you’ll know. Also, as already said in this thread, the 4K recording is mind-blowing! It looks fab even on a 52-inch display TV.
  5. Apple Music: I know its a paid service. But once you go for it, there’s no looking back. You have a huge repository of music across the globe, name a song and you have it. Plus the playback quality is the best I’ve experienced.
  6. The design: The three cameras on the iPhone 11 might be a hit and a miss. But have you seen the colours on the entire range. If you are a sucker for design, Apple is your best bet.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Updates are not important for Android, apparently. Just ask in the Alternative section.
Exactly. This is the reason I bail on Android every time. Crap even getting the GS8+ near launch they still took forever to get Oreo and they were slacking on security updates. Will most likely never go back unless Apple does something really bad, and I will try Google next time so I am closest to the core for hopefully better updates.
[automerge]1576180245[/automerge]
Thanks for all the input.

I knew what I wanted to do...I just didn't fully realize how much until after mulling over for a few days.

Going to Apple store tomorrow ?
Cool! What iPhones, and what Plan? You already get a year of ATV+ for getting the iPhone, and then if you go with Play More, you get Apple Music included indefinitely and Disney+ included for a year.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
I've been firmly in the iPhone camp since the release of the 6. I recently picked up a Pixel 3 at a hefty discount to satisfy my Android curiosity and, if needed, to have a decent backup phone. It's a decent phone, for what it is, but I'd never use it (or any other Android phone) as a daily driver. This is my opinion only, but Android seems like an also-ran, when compared to iOS.
[automerge]1576180666[/automerge]
Exactly. This is the reason I bail on Android every time. Crap even getting the GS8+ near launch they still took forever to get Oreo and they were slacking on security updates. Will most likely never go back unless Apple does something really bad, and I will try Google next time so I am closest to the core for hopefully better updates.

The fact that the flagship Samsung device (Note 10) still runs a version of Android released in August 2018 speaks volumes.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
So, on reflection, it was the right decision for us. We got the pro max. Sure, more expensive than other options, but I’m enjoying this device so much!

It mostly feels more polished than my android phones did, hardware is superb! A few minor niggles I have yet to figure out.

Yay! I have the Pro Max in Midnight Green. The ultra wide angle lens, Night Mode, battery life have been terrific for me.

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I've been firmly in the iPhone camp since the release of the 6. I recently picked up a Pixel 3 at a hefty discount to satisfy my Android curiosity and, if needed, to have a decent backup phone. It's a decent phone, for what it is, but I'd never use it (or any other Android phone) as a daily driver. This is my opinion only, but Android seems like an also-ran, when compared to iOS.
[automerge]1576180666[/automerge]

The fact that the flagship Samsung device (Note 10) still runs a version of Android released in August 2018 speaks volumes.
Yea I got GS8+ soon after release so I thought finally having a flagship would get me decent updates but NOOOOOOO
[automerge]1576186662[/automerge]
Yay! I have the Pro Max in Midnight Green. The ultra wide angle lens, Night Mode, battery life have been terrific for me.
Yea love all the features of Pro Max but am disappointed it looks gray unless it is dark. Would have rather gotten that Cosmic Blue that was rumored.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Here are the 6 reasons why
  1. Privacy & security: I think that’s one of the major justifications for making that switch. As already mentioned in this thread repeatedly, there’s no match to the level of privacy offered by Apple. Sure it has few threats but very less vulnerable than Android, without a doubt.
  2. Consistency: Apple has a very consistent performance. I’ve used an iPhone 5s for 5 years and the device was as good as new. Tell me one Android phone that can do that.
  3. Seamless sync: Your google account has your contacts and photos (with photos app), sure. But with Apple ID, all of your data is really at one place. Unbox an iPhone, enter your Apple ID and you’ll have a phone setup just the way you like. Your apps, app folders, wallpaper- everything is right where you put it on your previous iPhone.
  4. The camera: Okay so there’s tight competition in the market, some Android phones have amazing camera. But iPhone pictures are the most untouched, unedited and real. Try any other phone and iPhone simultaneously, you’ll know. Also, as already said in this thread, the 4K recording is mind-blowing! It looks fab even on a 52-inch display TV.
  5. Apple Music: I know its a paid service. But once you go for it, there’s no looking back. You have a huge repository of music across the globe, name a song and you have it. Plus the playback quality is the best I’ve experienced.
  6. The design: The three cameras on the iPhone 11 might be a hit and a miss. But have you seen the colours on the entire range. If you are a sucker for design, Apple is your best bet.

But that’s all subjective. Some people might hate the design, prefer Spotify and the camera comparisons the iPhone isn’t the best.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
If i hadn't already spent my $1.5k on my MBP I'd have tried the 11 Pro. It looks nice. Maybe next year. Discounts FTW

Not sure about the dual/triple cameras though. Wasn't that used for 3D photos once during the HTC days? The One M8 had two cameras but it didn't take very good photos. I'm probably just ignorant but that's all that comes to mind.

Those didn’t use the good cameras the iPhone, Samsung and other phones that use dual or triple camera setups of today. The HTC 3D one was meant for 3D not higher quality photos and the one M8 had a 8mp ( somewhere around that) reg sensor and then a low MP around 4MP with ultra pixels which I believe was for better low light photos.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Because you can! Life is short, live dangerously. :)

But seriously, Security. I never used Android however I’ve had to straighten out my sisters Android phone more than a few times. I gave her my 6s and she will tell you herself, that her iPhone is the best phone she ever used.

She’s had the 6s two years now, no more malware. Granted she is not tech savvy.

Lol I love how most iPhone users talk about androids but haven’t used them.... as in owned one for a while. Android is fine on the security or privacy front for most people. The problem itself is Google but tbh most iPhone users are probably using YouTube and Google search anyways so they still under their influence.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
One of the most annoying things i dealt with when i left Apple (i hated iOS 7 but came back when things got better more recently) was the lack of game saves on the cloud--Android devices, you replace one, say you played a game like Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders (it's on iOS and Android) and you got like 10 levels down. Switch or replace to another phone and you start at level 1. every darned time! Only a few games will save to Facebook and I hated Facebook.

iOS/Apple/iPhone your game saves are stored and backed up to iCloud. New iPhone or iPad? your game saves are still there. Android has NEVER come close to matching iCloud backups. Google will backup your apps/games but never their data, and maybe some of your photos and background wallpaper and contacts. That's it. It tends to 'forget' some of that though.

I have had Android experience. I rooted and ROM'd since 2.3. I was an Android user for 6 years. Only recently came back.

My concerns re: privacy--Let's assume the San Bernardino phone was an Android instead of an iPhone. You really believe Google would put up a fight like Apple did? They're in bed with the NSA and so is Microsoft. They'd put no fight up at all. Apple stood their ground. I watched Enemy of the State and anyone who wants to know how far the Patriot Act goes should.

Google Play Services on Android should be reclassified as malware. Look it up and see what permissions it has and what it's capable of. It can't be properly disabled and removed without root. Remove it, and you'll get performance increases and three times the battey life. Android was not a Google product until later on. It was once an open source OS and had great promise until Google infected it. So did YouTube. Remember its old motto "Broadcast yourself?" Now you get removed and your content erased for being conservative-leaning.

Last edited:

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Lol I love how most iPhone users talk about androids but haven’t used them.... as in owned one for a while. Android is fine on the security or privacy front for most people. The problem itself is Google but tbh most iPhone users are probably using YouTube and Google search anyways so they still under their influence.
The same can be said to the other side as well. Many Android fans don’t use iPhones full time, or only used some older ones.

The problem on Android is more about the developers and the way the platform allows complete data extraction by apps. Many app developers on Android are based or outsourced to China/India/Russia/etc where privacy laws are minimal or non-existent. In emerging markets, Android is flooded with P2P lending apps that can siphon up your whole data (including you SMS, contact list, etc). It’s quite mind blowing after seeing how things are from the inside.

Reactions: Ladybug

fireboy60013

Suspended
Nov 25, 2019
NSA is the main reason I only use Apple devices. Read the book called the trigger by David Icke, it’s about what really happened on 9/11. Unless you want to be a sheep and have your head so far up your a** you don’t care to know what this government is up to. I was a former cop, got shot on duty and have a permenantly shoulder injury so cannot be a cop anymore, and I get $600 a month by the union, and the government denies disability, tells me to just start over in a different job, where a military person gets a minor injury and they get $5,000 a month for life.... that’s fair?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.