Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Lol I love how most iPhone users talk about androids but haven’t used them.... as in owned one for a while. Android is fine on the security or privacy front for most people. The problem itself is Google but tbh most iPhone users are probably using YouTube and Google search anyways so they still under their influence.

I wasn’t dissing Android but rather pointing out that for my sister who is older (72), that Apple works best for her because it’s simple for her to use. Also, she lives 50 miles from me and giving her tech support on a platform I’m accustomed to is far easier since my only experience with Android has been those times I’ve had to go and get her out of a jam. I hope that explains my position for you.

Reactions: Wide opeN

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
NSA is the main reason I only use Apple devices. Read the book called the trigger by David Icke, it’s about what really happened on 9/11. Unless you want to be a sheep and have your head so far up your a** you don’t care to know what this government is up to. I was a former cop, got shot on duty and have a permenantly shoulder injury so cannot be a cop anymore, and I get $600 a month by the union, and the government denies disability, tells me to just start over in a different job, where a military person gets a minor injury and they get $5,000 a month for life.... that’s fair?

Wasn't there something called Operation Northwood about 9/11?

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
So, I don't need convincing, but my partner does.

Currently we have 2 pixel 3s and with Google Fi pay $85 per month including phone payment that finishes in 11 months.

I want to switch to the iPhone upgrade program, and the best plan I can find for 2 lines it's with Verizon for $72 per month plus taxes. But we would earn a $500 credit to switch to them.

2 iPhone 11s is $70 per month, so about $150 a month total including plan.

Financially it doesn't add up, it is more want than need for sure!

Any compelling argument in favor of switching would be welcomed ?

iOS vs Android.

For me that’s enough.
[automerge]1576226932[/automerge]
Personal safety is the cost of using Google? ...
Personal safety ? Nope.
Privacy ? Yep.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
The same can be said to the other side as well. Many Android fans don’t use iPhones full time, or only used some older ones.

The problem on Android is more about the developers and the way the platform allows complete data extraction by apps. Many app developers on Android are based or outsourced to China/India/Russia/etc where privacy laws are minimal or non-existent. In emerging markets, Android is flooded with P2P lending apps that can siphon up your whole data (including you SMS, contact list, etc). It’s quite mind blowing after seeing how things are from the inside.

If you have half a brain you’re safe. Same on windows.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
If you have half a brain you’re safe. Same on windows.
That's not good enough. Even apps from big developers are often outsourced to China/India. You cannot be examining the source code of each app you want to use, can you? And Google doesn't do much preemptively. On the developer side, Google cares more about your app being compiled to the supported API, they really didn't put much attention to what you do with the app.

Seriously, try standing from the other side if you can. I was amazed the kind of data these companies can and are harvesting. And they keep their servers in China/etc, allowing your data to be readily available to whoever handling it there.

And again, many many apps, even big names ones, especially games, are being outsourced to development houses in countries like China and India.

Reactions: Ladybug

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
That's not good enough. Even apps from big developers are often outsourced to China/India. You cannot be examining the source code of each app you want to use, can you? And Google doesn't do much preemptively. On the developer side, Google cares more about your app being compiled to the supported API, they really didn't put much attention to what you do with the app.

Seriously, try standing from the other side if you can. I was amazed the kind of data these companies can and are harvesting. And they keep their servers in China/etc, allowing your data to be readily available to whoever handling it there.

And again, many many apps, even big names ones, especially games, are being outsourced to development houses in countries like China and India.

Sorry I’ve used android as much as I have used iOS and if you’re sane you’ll be ok. If you’re that paranoid your best best is burner phones tbh.

wmdunn

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I almost never enter into these types of discussions. They are rarely productive, and just seem to polarize already staked out positions. Personally, I use both Ios and Android, and the arguments about which is safer are ridiculous. Does Google harvest data ... of course, although not personally distinct data. They are an advertising company, that's what they do. If you believe that your data is safer with Apple, then you need to consider. Why does Apple receive billions of dollars each year from Google, in order that Google can be the default search engine on Apple products. Do you imagine that Google is spending all that money for nothing? Let's get real ... you're on the internet, you are no longer private, period!

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I almost never enter into these types of discussions. They are rarely productive, and just seem to polarize already staked out positions. Personally, I use both Ios and Android, and the arguments about which is safer are ridiculous. Does Google harvest data ... of course, although not personally distinct data. They are an advertising company, that's what they do. If you believe that your data is safer with Apple, then you need to consider. Why does Apple receive billions of dollars each year from Google, in order that Google can be the default search engine on Apple products. Do you imagine that Google is spending all that money for nothing? Let's get real ... you're on the internet, you are no longer private, period!
Well, the problem is not Google per se, it’s the 3rd party developers. At the least Google is a US company, and can be bound by US laws. Many of these developer houses are in countries where privacy laws are minimal or non-existent. Google’s onus is simply for turning a blind eye on things happening on its platform.

And it’s better to be aware than not imo. I use Android phones myself, and try my best to select the apps I use and pay attention to their permissions. In Windows, it takes effort to install a nefarious app, and plenty of safeguards like Windows Defender. On Android, it’s too easy for someone to install a nefarious app from the Play store with just a few taps.

Reactions: Ladybug

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Well, the problem is not Google per se, it’s the 3rd party developers. At the least Google is a US company, and can be bound by US laws. Many of these developer houses are in countries where privacy laws are minimal or non-existent. Google’s onus is simply for turning a blind eye on things happening on its platform.

And it’s better to be aware than not imo. I use Android phones myself, and try my best to select the apps I use and pay attention to their permissions. In Windows, it takes effort to install a nefarious app, and plenty of safeguards like Windows Defender. On Android, it’s too easy for someone to install a nefarious app from the Play store with just a few taps.

Lol there that goes.... there isn’t that many nefarious apps in the play store. It’s when you side load apps you run into possible issues

fireboy60013

Suspended
Nov 25, 2019
Wasn't there something called Operation Northwood about 9/11?

that was mentioned in the book as well. I just finished the book, it is almost 1,000 pages and the last few chapters will really irritate you with how the government did it and then totally covered it up. Everyone really needs to read it, but sadly most wont.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Lol there that goes.... there isn’t that many nefarious apps in the play store. It’s when you side load apps you run into possible issues
There are plenty, I’d say, especially in emerging markets. P2P lending apps, for one, and many of them are actually illegal.

callihan_44

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
I get bored and switch back and forth between iphone and android phones, IOS dark mode is one thing that will make it harder to leave ios... I find myself not wanting to customize my phone too much anymore and the boring monotone color of ios would send me back to android. I do like the freedom android allows

Google's ethics as a company is disturbing to me and if they dont change their leadership I may not go back to them...

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Since when is Google the default search engine on an Apple product? My Mac and iPhone were defaulted to Bing, not that it's much better. They're all set to DuckDuckgo now.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If you want to switch you shouldn’t need to justify it really...I could never go bad as android causes too many issues for me from how apps appear, notifications and not syncing with my devices but everybody is different

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I personally never could stand the scrolling in Android or the micro stutter in app opening animations or worse, the loading screens. Apple it just opens perfectly smooth, while Android it opens, there's a spinning circle, then it freezes, then it goes black, and might either eventually open or it might say "Chrome is not responding, do you want to close it?"

Even today that happens enough on Android to bug me to death. It's just so broken and breaks immersion.

Also is anyone else as annoyed by how Android handles notifications? The top status bar is always full of tons of icons and redundant icons unless you disable notifications entirely then it's just pointless. Love the app badges on Apple since my first iPhone and still do.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
So, on reflection, it was the right decision for us. We got the pro max. Sure, more expensive than other options, but I’m enjoying this device so much!

It mostly feels more polished than my android phones did, hardware is superb! A few minor niggles I have yet to figure out.

Yeah it’s just a far smoother experience to me. Android has great hardware features but there’s only 2-3 that Apple is missing from their long list of features..software on Apple is far superior

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Android has badges and you can modify any notifications. Limit status bar, use another launcher. App notifications are collapsed, then expand. Plus touch on app and choose actions and notifications etc. I use both but S10+ does not exhibit any such issue and web browsers load faster. Easier to refresh a page, scroll, jump to top. I use my iPhone 11 for other things. Guess you haven't used Android 10 with comparable phone.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
This thread seems to have gone way off topic. The OP wanted reasons to purchase an iPhone, not which is better Android vs iPhone. Please let’s stay on topic. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.