Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple in March 2024 announced new 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Air models, the first Mac updates of the year featuring M3 series chips. But there are other Macs in Apple's lineup still to be updated to the latest M3 processors.

M3-Mac-Pro-Studio-Mini-Feature-2.jpg

So, where do the Mac mini, Mac Studio, and Mac Pro fit into Apple's M3 roadmap for the year ahead? Here's what the latest rumors say.

Mac Mini

Apple announced ‌M2‌ and ‌M2‌ Pro Mac mini models in January 2023, which at the time of writing is over 400 days ago.

M3-Mac-Mini-Feature.jpg

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said in July that he believes a new Mac mini won't emerge until late 2024 at the earliest, and we haven't heard any other rumors that move the dial since then. On the other hand, Apple may choose not to upgrade the Mac mini this year and skip the M3 entirely. Approximately 26 months passed between the launch of the M1 Mac mini and the update to the M2 Mac mini. Going forward, perhaps the company has an 18-month upgrade cycle in mind, which would mean we could see an M4 Mac mini in the spring of 2025.

Mac Studio

Apple updated the ‌Mac Studio with ‌M2‌ series chips in June 2023. ‌Mac Studio‌ models come with either the ‌M2‌ Max or ‌M2‌ Ultra chip, so logic would suggest we should expect equivalent M3 variants.

M3-Mac-Studio-Feature-1.jpg

However, according to a January report by Taiwanese research firm TrendForce, a new Mac Studio model will launch in mid-2024 with a more powerful M3 Ultra chip than we might otherwise expect.

According to the report, the M3 Ultra chip will be fabricated with TSMC's N3E node, just like the A18 chip that is expected to debut in the iPhone 16 lineup later this year. This means it would be Apple's first N3E chip. N3E is an enhanced version of TSMC's 3nm process, offering slightly better performance and higher production yield.

A couple of days after the TrendForce report, Gurman said he believes Apple is working on a new Mac Studio that is likely to be offered with the as-yet-unannounced fourth variant of the M3 chip. This will, like previous generations, double the components of the "Max" version, meaning that it will feature up to 32 CPU cores and 80 GPU cores. Gurman says that it is likely to launch in the second half of 2024.

Mac Pro

Along with the Mac Studio, Apple updated the Mac Pro with ‌M2‌ series chips during WWDC in June 2023. The ‌Mac Pro‌ is only available in a single chip configuration, and currently ships with the ‌M2‌ Ultra chip that's used in the Mac Studio.

M3-Mac-Pro-Feature-1.jpg

Logically then, we should expect the next ‌Mac Pro‌ to receive an update to add the same M3 Ultra chip alongside the ‌Mac Studio‌, just like it received the ‌M2‌ Ultra chip last year. Like previous generations, this will likely double the components of the "Max" version, meaning that it will feature up to 32 CPU cores and 80 GPU cores.

Indeed, Gurman thinks Apple is likely to refresh the Mac Pro with this new high-end chip in the second half of the year. Notably, he does not believe that Apple is likely to again abandon the machine after only one year.

MacBook Pro – Already Updated

Apple in November 2023 updated its MacBook Pro lineup with M3 and M3 Pro chips, so the company's work is already done in that regard.

New-MacBook-Pros-Launching-Tomorrow-With-These-4-New-Features-2.jpg

Apple has so far adopted an 18-month cycle of M1 to M2, and M2 to M3, so it would be reasonable to assume a 2025 launch for M4 MacBook Pro models if Apple sticks with the same tempo. Incidentally, such a roadmap tallies with rumors of the first MacBook Pro with an OLED display and possibly even a touchscreen.

Article Link: Here Are All the M3 Macs Still Expected This Year

Last edited:
Reactions: SFjohn

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I just got an M3 Air but I love it so much and would pick up an M3 Mini for at my desk even though I have a really high spec PC. It seems it won't be out any time soon though so who cares.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Indeed, Gurman thinks Apple is likely to refresh the Mac Pro with this new high-end chip in the second half of the year. Notably, he does not believe that Apple is likely to again abandon the machine after only one year.
As someone who mostly uses an iMac, I sometimes feel bad about how little attention the iMac seemingly gets from Apple.

...and then I remember how the Mac Pro got only two updates in the past 10 years (once in 2019, and then again in 2023) and suddenly being an iMac user doesn't seem so terrible by comparison. 🫣

Rodney Williams

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2020
As much I would love to purchase the Mac Pro, I'm not so sure about buying one due to it being way overpriced for my taste. I have a 2012 Mac Pro desktop and I still have it. I just love that engineering design of 2012 model and the latest Mac Pro design. By the way, I just love the engineering marvels of both of these desktops.
I'm definitely considering buying a Mac Studio. Then develop a custom setup for my desk space for my creative digital studio space. Just gonna wait and see.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple has so far adopted an 18-month cycle of M1 to M2, and M2 to M3, so it would be reasonable to assume a 2025 launch for M4 MacBook Pro models if Apple sticks with the same tempo.
Sales volumes of the Mac mini, Mac Studio, and Mac Pro has to be impacted by now against M3 update rumors. Just get rid of excess old inventory and release updated models please.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
I just got an M3 Air but I love it so much and would pick up an M3 Mini for at my desk even though I have a really high spec PC. It seems it won't be out any time soon though so who cares.
Why not just dock your M3 MBA to your external monitors / kb / mouse / trackpad? Either directly or with a Thunderbolt dock. It's basically exactly the same (especially with the same M3 chip), avoids you having to buy another Mac, and then you get 100% continuity of having the exact same files / desktop-layout available. Dock it when you want the larger external monitor, take it with you when you need the laptop portability (even at home, in bed, on the couch, etc.)

To me it's the best of both worlds, and what I've done for many years with my MBP (current 2021 M1 MBP, and before that with my 2016 13" MBP).

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Why not just dock your M3 MBA to your external monitors / kb / mouse / trackpad? Either directly or with a Thunderbolt dock. It's basically exactly the same (especially with the same M3 chip), avoids you having to buy another Mac, and then you get 100% continuity of having the exact same files / desktop-layout available. Dock it when you want the larger external monitor, take it with you when you need the laptop portability (even at home, in bed, on the couch, etc.)

To me it's the best of both worlds, and what I've done for many years with my MBP (current 2021 M1 MBP, and before that with my 2016 13" MBP).
That works for some people but for others like me, it's an extra hassle. I always prefer to have a separate desktop and portable device, but then again I do the vast majority of my work at home, and have much lighter needs on my mobile device. Also, I don't want to keep the majority of my private files on my portable device. I also keep all of my Photos library local on the desktop (on a 2 TB SSD). YMMV.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I just don’t understand why the Mac Pro exists. The Mac Studio Ultra seems the smart play. Unless they stop putting the Ultra in the Studio and made better expandability options. That would make sense.
Remember how the Mac Studio M2 Ultra heat conduction uses different materials then the Mac Studio M2 Max model? Even though the power supply is rated 370 watts the design of heat conductance is different. Now compare that to the 1280W design that the Mac Pro represents. Yes it's obvious that the Mac Pro can incorporate a lot of add on CCA's that some work encompasses that the Studio Mac Ultra is totally lacking. There is also the placement differences, the Mac Studio is a desktop example, where as the Mac Pro is a tower, or a side mounted rack adaption for usage.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
That sucks about the Mac Mini. I thought part of the whole point of Apple silicon would be more frequent upgrades?
It has been sorta, it's just Apple in 2023 cherry picked what it could sell the most while still trying to finalize the transition of all Macs to AS SoC's during WWDC 2023. Most of us look at first half of 2023 as Apple being challenged on manufacturing after the end of 2022 with China's city lock downs that ended Dec 2022. This is why Apple kept trying to avoid sequential negative production levels for most of 2023 after all that got restarted. 2024 is suppose to be a return to normal manufacturing levels. ;)

Reactions: u+ive

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
On the other hand, Apple may choose not to upgrade the Mac mini this year and skip the M3 entirely. Approximately 26 months passed between the launch of the M1 Mac mini and the update to the M2 Mac mini. Going forward, perhaps the company has an 18-month upgrade cycle in mind, which would mean we could see an M4 Mac mini in the spring of 2025.
Skipping the M3 chip for the Mac mini until the M4 chip is available would make sense since the Mac mini is (reportedly) the least popular Mac model.

mac.png

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
As someone who mostly uses an iMac, I sometimes feel bad about how little attention the iMac seemingly gets from Apple.

...and then I remember how the Mac Pro got only two updates in the past 10 years (once in 2019, and then again in 2023) and suddenly being an iMac user doesn't seem so terrible by comparison. 🫣
I feel the 2019 Mac Pro was the best professional Mac ever. The expansion and modularity was at its peak.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I just don’t understand why the Mac Pro exists. The Mac Studio Ultra seems the smart play. Unless they stop putting the Ultra in the Studio and made better expandability options. That would make sense.
I have Mac Studio. But I would've gotten Mac Pro if:
  1. Starts at $5999 instead of $6999
  2. Support for 4 or more SSD expansion modles, not just 2
  3. GPU over PCIe

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London
They need to produce a new GPU board for the Mac Pro. I know that the main benefit of the M3 is the ultra fast bandwidth of having the gpu welded to the CPU but it doesn't allow expansion. Unlike previous Mac Pros... they could create these themselves.

Given the architecture scalability the potential speeds could be incredible. The need to blow Nvidia 4090 out of the water.

anakin44011

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
I know a couple of potential Mac Pro buyers still holding on to a faint hope for some sort of M3 Extreme--the mythical 2 x Ultra.

Alas, I think all their finger-crossing will be in vain.
I will keep making the same erroneous prediction until it comes true...Mac Pro with daughter-card modules for a scalable and upgradable "render farm" within the same workstation.

There are so many technical problems with my prediction...but I'm hoping that they are inspired by the modularity & scalability of Nvidia's AI products (I hear they are doing fairly well recently) that Apple will figure this out with their silicon.

Maybe an M5 variant?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

It exists because the cards world goes far beyond graphics cards... all kinds of speciality hardware that needs a card slot(s)... and Apple apparently doesn't want to just cede all of that to PC.

Yes, there could be some kind of Mac Studio Thunderbolt card slot case... like one could do with graphics cards before Silicon... but markets with deep pockets must be rich enough to motivate Apple to make a Mac Pro body with card slots, even if that "Pro" will not support third party graphics cards.

There's also customers that need RAM beyond the upper limit of what Mac Studio can offer.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
That sucks about the Mac Mini. I thought part of the whole point of Apple silicon would be more frequent upgrades?

No, that was just what some of us spun to the rest of us to help sell Silicon replacing Intel... along with "now that Apple doesn't have to pay the Intel premium, Macs can be cheaper" and "throw just one compiler switch and recompile to convert [all] apps to Silicon native." ;)

Best hope was annual updates because iPhone has annual updates... and all things Apple revolve around iPhone. That shared though, now that reality is setting in- now that we can no longer easily keep blaming covid or supply chain- 18 months doesn't seem so bad vs. iPhone's 12... unless one compares the pace vs. Intel & AMD generational updates... but then we can redirect to concepts like PPW and similar to try to change the subject. ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.