Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickf

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
I'm holding out for an M3 mini announcement at WWDC this year. If not...then I guess I'll order an M2 pro mini instead. (My wallet will probably prefer the former).

Reactions: hacky

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Skipping the M3 chip for the Mac mini until the M4 chip is available would make sense since the Mac mini is (reportedly) the least popular Mac model.

View attachment 2357329
While the Mac mini likely does sell low volumes, there is no way those numbers are accurate. I don’t for a second believe the Mac Pro outsells the Mac mini and Mac Studio 11:1 in terms of units sold.

I’m not sure I believe those statistics. The MacBook Air has routinely been the best selling notebook every year.
Yes but it was one (or two) MacBook Air form factor vs multiple MacBook Pro form factors.

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Earlier this week, Apple announced new 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Air models, the first Mac updates of the year featuring M3 series chips. But there are other Macs in Apple's lineup still to be updated to the latest M3 processors.

M3-Mac-Pro-Studio-Mini-Feature-2.jpg
This picture clearly points to a marketing deficiency that Apple currently has. Look at the following pie chart.

most-popular-mac-in-us.png

source
This clearly points out that Apple made a big mistake, consumers and businesses actually prefer the iMac compared to the Mac mini and Mac Studio believe it or not. All Apple needs to do is to come out with a larger iMac using a better M3 processor and it would really jack up Mac sales a lot. ;)

Also to be fair updated Mac mini and Studio Mac with M3 updates would sell more also.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Wild guess: that pie is probably measuring REVENUE vs. units sold.

If that is units, iMac is king of the Mac desktop and thus would likely offer not just a 27" variant with the 24", but probably 30" and 32"+ too. Instead, it "feels" like the least important Mac or at least competes with the Pro for that 'crown.'

It's also a commonplace belief that MBair is best selling Mac... which should have some added subjective fuel by being cheapest laptop to woo those most swayed by price. So its slice on a units sold basis seems like it would have to be better than the more expensive MBpro.

But if you make a pie about revenue, wouldn't about all of those slices seem to make sense?

Last edited:

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
As someone who mostly uses an iMac, I sometimes feel bad about how little attention the iMac seemingly gets from Apple.

...and then I remember how the Mac Pro got only two updates in the past 10 years (once in 2019, and then again in 2023) and suddenly being an iMac user doesn't seem so terrible by comparison. 🫣
I don;t think comparing Mac Pro to the others is very valid especially since they introduced Mac Studio. It has seemed pretty clear since the introduction that Mac Pro was beginning its descent into computer extinction. With studio being what it is, it makes sense to drop it.

• Disagree
Reactions: xbjllb

Neil J. Squillante

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2017
New York, NY
Apple announced ‌M2‌ and ‌M2‌ Pro Mac mini models in January 2023, which at the time of writing is over 400 days ago.… Going forward, perhaps the company has an 18-month upgrade cycle in mind, which would mean we could see an M4 Mac mini in the spring of 2025.

An 18 month cycle would suggest an M3 Mac mini in June 2024 at WWDC, not an M4 in Spring 2025. Barring any TSMC production issues, it makes sense for Apple to update the mini now and save the Mac Studio and Mac Pro for WWDC.

escargot3

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Skipping the M3 chip for the Mac mini until the M4 chip is available would make sense since the Mac mini is (reportedly) the least popular Mac model.

View attachment 2357329
Sorry I’m really trying hard not to be mean but anyone who believes CIRPs data is a complete fool. They are a laughingstock. Do you not possess an ounce of media literacy or critical thinking skills? The idea that the Mac Pro outsells the Mac mini 11 to 1 is absurd. Think before you post. Your post should be flagged for misinformation.

This picture clearly points to a marketing deficiency that Apple currently has. Look at the following pie chart.

most-popular-mac-in-us.png

Of the desktop sales, the M2 Mac mini and M2 Mac Studio are the worse sellers with 1% each. Surprising the Mac Pro has 3% and the 24" iMac is at 4%. The MBA and MBP are the clear winners currently as they can be acquired over a wide price range.

This clearly points out that Apple made a big mistake, consumers and businesses actually prefer the iMac compared to the Mac mini and Mac Studio believe it or not. All Apple needs to do is to come out with a larger iMac using a better M3 processor and it would really jack up Mac sales a lot. ;)

Also to be fair updated Mac mini and Studio Mac with M3 updates would sell more also.
This is completely false, junk data. Please tell me you don’t actually believe these data are accurate?

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010

View attachment 2357329
I suspect selection bias in those numbers, no way the MP outsells the mini, let alone by that much. Costco sells the mini for $400 often, the MP is $7000, and most corp buyers it’s targeted at buy laptops at far higher numbers than desktops.

Last edited:

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023

View attachment 2357329
most-popular-mac-cirp-report-1.jpg

I added the larger screenshot with date.

No big surprise that MBA & MBP sell the most. Laptops selling ~80% of all computers has been a trend since as early as 2003.

What is surprising is that the Mac Pro sold that much in spite of M1 chips coming out earlier in November 2020 quarter. People buying the Mac Pro were aware of Apple Silicon transition.

I would have expected Mac mini taking 2nd highest and Mac Studio & Mac Pro taking 3rd or 4th respectively.

Why? Because of price. The 2019 Mac Pro Xeon started at $5k while Mac mini is $500 & Mac Studio $2k.

Which brings us to why Apple only has one screen size for the iMac. All other Macs with a built-in screen have a "small" and "big" screen.

5 years ago the 2019 Pro Display XDR 32" 6K was released for $5k.

The likely reason a "big" iMac is that the parts price for a 32" 6K has not gone down to ~$500.

Historically display prices have gone down over time. That's why that big screen you are using was bought. It fit into your budget.

Apple claiming that a iMac 27" 5K will never come out is legally true.

But, once prices drops to allow for a $1799 price point then a iMac 32" 6K is a future probability.

The question is when....

It took a decade for the iPhone to get an AMOLED display due to technical and parts price reason.

Apple stated it took them that long because of burn-in issues and color accuracy. Apple does not want bad press on defects & they cater to a different market to Android that is largely creatives that require color accuracy.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: JimmyG and sunny5

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Wild guess: that pie is probably measuring REVENUE vs. units sold.

If that is units, iMac is king of the Mac desktop and thus would likely have not just a 27" variant but probably 30" and 32" too. Instead it "feels" like the least important Mac or at least competes with the Pro for that 'crown.'

It's also a commonplace belief that MBair is best selling Mac... which should have some added subjective fuel by being cheapest laptop to woo those most swayed by price. So its slice on a units sold basis seems like it would have to be better than the more expensive MBpro.

But if you make a pie about revenue, would about all of the relative slices make sense in that pie?
Yes that is against sales

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Excellent news, thanks. Mac Pro a comin'! Now if we can get that new 7k xdr studio display to launch with it.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Sorry I’m really trying hard not to be mean but anyone who believes CIRPs data is a complete fool. They are a laughingstock. Do you not possess an ounce of media literacy or critical thinking skills? The idea that the Mac Pro outsells the Mac mini 11 to 1 is absurd. Think before you post. Your post should be flagged for misinformation.
I didn't say I 100% believe and trust those numbers. That's why I wrote "reportedly"

In case you don't know what "reportedly" means

Reportedly
adverb:
  • according to what some say (used to express the speaker's belief that the information given is not necessarily true)

If you believe those numbers are wrong, then feel free to provide something that refutes them.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
lol. Just posted something about going out to purchase a M2 Mac mini today, And sure enough you guys post what is in store for 2024. With my luck I new model will come out tomorrow.

Reactions: blob.DK

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
new 7k xdr studio display to launch with it.
7k resolution or $7k price?

Historically it is a certainty Apple will focus on lowering MSRP with the future panel rather than a spec bump.

If Apple is able to drop 32" 6K to the prices of 2021 Apple Studio Display 27" 5K then people will rejoice.

If a 2024 iMac 32" 6K M4 dropped by Oct 2024 I'd be the 1st one to pre-order to replace my 2012 iMac 27" 2.5K.

That's a dozen years of tech improvement from a 22nm Intel chip to a 3nm Mac chip.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyG

Darren.h

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2023
Mac Studio for me. HEAT kills a computer over time and the studio has superior cooling over a MacBook Pro. dont need portability. and 64gb of ram and double the CPU and cores I might get the ULTRA M3 Version.

WWDC in June I expect we can buy this.

Reactions: ruka21 and kangyula

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
What baffles me is that the update schedule is still pretty eratic despite them now having transitioned to Apple Silicon on all devices. There doesn't really seem to be much logic to update cycles and the length of support will turn out shorter if they have yearly update cycles… which flies in the face of their Mother Nature campaign…

I don't want to see environmental claims if at the end of the day update cycles are directly opposed to sustainability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.