Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
What baffles me is that the update schedule is still pretty eratic despite them now having transitioned to Apple Silicon on all devices. There doesn't really seem to be much logic to update cycles and the length of support will turn out shorter if they have yearly update cycles… which flies in the face of their Mother Nature campaign…

I don't want to see environmental claims if at the end of the day update cycles are directly opposed to sustainability.
Timeline

- Mar 2020: was COVID lock down
- Nov 2020: 1st Mac with Apple Silicon
- Jun 2023: Last Intel Mac

Update cycle is likely impacted by supply chain bottlenecks from residual COVID & units sold.

Reactions: HVDynamo

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
What baffles me is that the update schedule is still pretty eratic despite them now having transitioned to Apple Silicon on all devices. There doesn't really seem to be much logic to update cycles and the length of support will turn out shorter if they have yearly update cycles… which flies in the face of their Mother Nature campaign…
The switch from Intel to Apple Silicon is more about about Apple having control of the design, and cost. I'm not convinced it's about more frequent product updates, since there were lots of Intel chips that Apple chose not to use, despite the fact that they were drop-in replacements for other Intel chips already in existing Mac products.

I also don't expect Macs to be updated yearly on average. More like 15-18 months. The volumes are way, way smaller than the iPhones.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I also don't expect Macs to be updated yearly on average. More like 15-18 months. The volumes are way, way smaller than the iPhones.
Haven't we reached a ideas plateau where iPhone updated hardware design is becoming less important then the OS such as AI enhanced apps and some interface improvements?

That being the case it makes a lot of sense to update other hardware such Macs/iPads more often especially given the M3 SoC family along with AI enhancements.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I just don’t understand why the Mac Pro exists. The Mac Studio Ultra seems the smart play. Unless they stop putting the Ultra in the Studio and made better expandability options. That would make sense.

In its current configuration, me either. They are squandering its potential.

It could be substantially better than the Studio but right now it’s a product for a very narrow audience.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
They are old numbers, not long after the Mac Studio was introduced.
This picture clearly points to a marketing deficiency that Apple currently has. Look at the following pie chart.

most-popular-mac-in-us.png

source
This clearly points out that Apple made a big mistake, consumers and businesses actually prefer the iMac compared to the Mac mini and Mac Studio believe it or not. All Apple needs to do is to come out with a larger iMac using a better M3 processor and it would really jack up Mac sales a lot. ;)

Also to be fair updated Mac mini and Studio Mac with M3 updates would sell more also.
The CIRP pie data claims it is for “Mac computer shares (twelve months ending December 2023)”. So it’s significantly after Mac Studio introduction, but is a month after M3 MacBook Pro and M3 iMac release. Hence this updated 2023 CIRP data is even more suspect and unbelievable.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Haven't we reached a ideas plateau where iPhone updated hardware design is becoming less important then the OS such as AI enhanced apps and some interface improvements?

That being the case it makes a lot of sense to update other hardware such Macs/iPads more often especially given the M3 SoC family along with AI enhancements.
Doesn't matter. What matters is sales volumes and customer expectations, as well as the update schedule. Phones are replaced more regularly, and often follow mobile service contracts which follow a 2-3 year contract schedule. This is much less common for computers. Consumers often "rent" their iPhones, but generally they don't "rent" their computers. Plus, as already mentioned, the sales volume of iPhones is way, way higher.

Apple would be leaving a ton of money on the table if they didn't update the iPhones yearly, but not doing this for Macs is much less of an issue.

Reactions: Chuckeee

antnythr

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2020
I really want to replace my 27" 5k iMac. Can't go back to an iMac though because their displays don't support external connections. The fact that I have to stop using my current display because target display mode isn't a thing on it anymore is unfortunate and extremely environmentally wasteful.

Thought it would be great to hop on a 16/512 Mini and a Studio Display. But now the Studio Display, which is the same thing in my old iMac, is the same price as the iMac is AND it doesn't have a computer attached to it. The price of a 16/512 Mini and a Studio Display is absurd.

If you want to use another display manufacturer, good luck. There's basically nobody that sells 5K, so you have to go with 4K which looks weird, or switch the scaling to a non-native "looks like 5K" resolution which degrades image quality and clarity.

There's basically no reasonable entry point to the Mac ecosystem that doesn't involve paying crazy high prices compared to other manufacturers that can provide better performance for the same price.

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
I really want to replace my 27" 5k iMac. Can't go back to an iMac though because their displays don't support external connections. The fact that I have to stop using my current display because target display mode isn't a thing on it anymore is unfortunate and extremely environmentally wasteful.

Thought it would be great to hop on a 16/512 Mini and a Studio Display. But now the Studio Display, which is the same thing in my old iMac, is the same price as the iMac is AND it doesn't have a computer attached to it. The price of a 16/512 Mini and a Studio Display is absurd.

If you want to use another display manufacturer, good luck. There's basically nobody that sells 5K, so you have to go with 4K which looks weird, or switch the scaling to a non-native "looks like 5K" resolution which degrades image quality and clarity.

There's basically no reasonable entry point to the Mac ecosystem that doesn't involve paying crazy high prices compared to other manufacturers that can provide better performance for the same price.
I think TDM is a secret feature that will be disclosed nearing 2030s.

USB4/TB4 allows for the 5K or higher resolution.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
The CIRP pie data claims it is for “Mac computer shares (twelve months ending December 2023)”. So it’s significantly after Mac Studio introduction, but is a month after M3 MacBook Pro and M3 iMac release. Hence this updated 2023 CIRP data is even more suspect and unbelievable.
Here are some links to examine against CIRP

note on Macworld there is a article showing using that source back in 2017.
No worse then some of the reports from some press. ;)

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
The question I keep asking myself:
Why did Apple skip M2 iMac, going directly from M1 hardware to M3 hardware?
And how is that different from Apple skipping M3 Mac mini, going directly from M2 hardware to M4 hardware?

I don’t know, that is why I’m asking.

Reactions: tenthousandthings

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Is there any reason why the mini can't get the Max chip? Other than Apple wanting people to pay more for the Studio and MBP of course...

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Is there any reason why the mini can't get the Max chip? Other than Apple wanting people to pay more for the Studio and MBP of course...
I think you hit on the obvious, for it not to be a cheaper alternative to the Mac Studio. This is the same reason Apple removed the large iMac with a Pro or Max SoC. Prop up that market position by removing competition.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
The question I keep asking myself:
Why did Apple skip M2 iMac, going directly from M1 hardware to M3 hardware?
And how is that different from Apple skipping M3 Mac mini, going directly from M2 hardware to M4 hardware?

I don’t know, that is why I’m asking.
I think it had to do with thermals and the GPU feature set. The M3 GPU supports ray tracing , mesh shading. The Max memory is the same (24 GB RAM). Also the hardware support for ProRes encode and decode engine and AV1 decode. M2 doesn't offer most of that.

DrewHawk

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2024
This picture clearly points to a marketing deficiency that Apple currently has. Look at the following pie chart.

most-popular-mac-in-us.png

source
This clearly points out that Apple made a big mistake, consumers and businesses actually prefer the iMac compared to the Mac mini and Mac Studio believe it or not. All Apple needs to do is to come out with a larger iMac using a better M3 processor and it would really jack up Mac sales a lot. ;)

Also to be fair updated Mac mini and Studio Mac with M3 updates would sell more also.
The Mini and the Studio are my two favorite products because they are the most similar to both the current PC market and they way it has been for 30 years and the old school Apple II products.

All-in-one products, which is what the laptops and iMacs are, remove flexibility. But they are easy for people, you buy the thing, turn it on, and use it. This, unfortunately, has become Apple's biggest selling point.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
A Max in the mini is kind of pointless to most people since the mini and Studio have the exact same footprint, and both fit underneath the Studio Display.

DrewHawk

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2024
Mini had better come with 16Gb RAM standard
Do it and I will replace my 2018 Mini
How would you feel if it base was 16GB but it also cost $200 more? With no cheaper option?

I mean I agree completely that 16GB should be the lowest build in 2024. But it will cost more. But the HD space is far more egregious, $200 for 265GB is insane for 2 reasons. 1. The cost to Apple is so low, and 2, there is no advantage to it being onboard.

Unified onboard memory does add a lot of value, it's far faster than socketed RAM. But NVMe?? It could be in the next room and it would still be the same speed. So putting it onboard with not upgrade options adds nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.