Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LCaller

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Sneaky ba$tards. I knew they were using a different username to get on.

So here are the WORKING EDGE network settings ( i'm connected now - reminder to self, update data plan :) )

APN : web.02.co.uk
Username : faster
Password : web

LCaller

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
And in other news, the correct settings are:

APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
User:mobileweb
Pass: password

It seems to be tarrif specific. These ones do not work for me as my ones do.

I'm on a plan with 30Mb of data inclusive a month.

Video showing settings and connectivity coming shortly.

Morgo

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2003
Not quite....

I used

User:faster
Pass: web

This did the trick for me... works like a dream. Now all I need to know is how much this will cost me per kb?

Another thumbs up here. These settings worked for me too, as a new o2 customer (on the online simplicity package)

richardlai

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2007
None of these settings work for my O2 "Pay & Go" card, although I do have the "E" logo at the top. Still relying on Wi-Fi. :mad:

Google wasn't helpful for me either. Any ideas?

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
E in the UK doesnt definatly mean edge, it could be GPRS... imported phones have no 'G' logo!!

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I think the "E" on O2 DOES mean EDGE as I have it on my iPhone but not at all times as it comes and goes depending on the area and GRPS is available everywhere so that would not happen if that was what it really was!

crd945

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2007
edge settings

yea o2 just released a 7.50 unlimited data plan for the pay as you go customers... I have tried every set of settings I have found and none of them have worked on my iphone... has anyone been able to figure this out?

drax

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
I'm on the new O2 £7.50 plan and I can confirm that these settings work:

User:faster
Pass: web

Astarael

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
I'm on the new o2 pay&go £7.50 plan too, and i've entered the all of the various APN/username/pass on this page a few times, still having an issue.

the error message that i'm getting says "Could not activate EDGE: You are not subscribed to EDGE." then a safari error "Safari can't open thepage because it could not connect to the server".

Are these errors due to the wrong APN/username/password, or are they due to something in the unlocking phase?

(i'm using an unlocked US iphone, not updated. have no problems with any of the other features, wifi works great.)

Thanks for any responses from anyone!

Simon1966

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
United Kingdom
I to am using an unlocked iPhone and trying to use the £7.50 web O2 bolt-on and none of the above settings are working on my phone.
Spoke to O2 customer sevs and support and they say i can't use it on an iPhone:mad:
I hope someone finds the answer soon so i can use the internet on my phone.

Regards Simon

PS the settings i was given were:

apn - payandgo.o2.co.uk
username - payandgo
password - password

Morgo

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2003
I had issues with this initially - however I found that by entering the settings (as per my post above) and then restarting the phone did the trick. Prior to that I had entered the settings and tried to use Edge/GPRS but failed.

shadow7030

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2007
Just to Clarify!

Hiall, just to clarify. When i recieve my unlocked iphone, i can put my o2 sim card in and configure using details on this thread and i can use the data facilities within the iphone. I understand i can buy a dat bolt on also. I have contacted O2 and they will give me no information in regards to edge, it seems to be top secret until they release the iPhone here in the UK. Does anyone actually have it working at the moment? Thanks

thinkscientist

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2007
Anybody get this to work

Hi there

Have a o2 pay and go sim, registered for £7.50 service

I have tried all of those settings to no joy!

I have tried switching iphone off and then on again but still doesnt work

sometimes it says cannot activate edge and sometimes it just says

"safari can't open the page..................."

Can someone please shed any light

I just paid £7.50 for this month for nothing otherwise :'(

tomacintosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
I've been emailing O2 customer services over the weekend and this is the latest email I recieved from them:

Hello Tom,

Thank you for replying to Sabeena's email about the speeds you phone can connect.

I'm afraid we have only recently started trialing EDGE (Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution) technology on our network and It's not available to our customers yet.

The speeds that you connect at are affected by a number of different factors including how busy the network is, how strong your signal is and how busy the website you want is.

You may find that you get better connection speeds at different times of the day, so it's worth keeping a check of when your fastest speeds are.

I hope I've explained this clearly for you. If there's anything else we can do for you, please reply to this email.

Looks like EDGE won't be active until the iPhone is officially out on November 9th, until then we'll have to make do with standard GPRS speeds.

Until then I'm going to just use the standard PAYG GPRS settings which are

APN: payandgo.o2.co.uk
Username: payandgo
Password: password

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
I've been emailing O2 customer services over the weekend and this is the latest email I recieved from them:

Looks like EDGE won't be active until the iPhone is officially out on November 9th, until then we'll have to make do with standard GPRS speeds.

Until then I'm going to just use the standard PAYG GPRS settings which are

APN: payandgo.o2.co.uk
Username: payandgo
Password: password

On my O2 n95 some times i get an EDGE connection.

LCaller

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
OK a 2nd iPhone that i set-up last week for a friend uses different settings.

He is on O2 "Simplicity" plan and is connected on web / web , so it is very contract specific. Just try them all and see which one connects.

EDGE is up and running, don't take no for an answer.

tomacintosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
What sort of speeds are you getting though? EDGE is a just a fast version of standard GPRS, the iPhone will just show that's it's connected through EDGE whatever you do because that's all it 'knows'

You're probably connecting through standard GPRS seeing as the faster EDGE hasn't been rolled out yet

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
What sort of speeds are you getting though? EDGE is a just a fast version of standard GPRS, the iPhone will just show that's it's connected through EDGE whatever you do because that's all it 'knows'

You're probably connecting through standard GPRS seeing as the faster EDGE hasn't been rolled out yet

EDGE has not been rolled out on O2? My N95 always has an EDGE connection.

Spanners

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
Tunbridge Wells, UK
And in other news, the correct settings are:

User:mobileweb
Pass: password

Having now moved to the new 7.50 bolt on data plan. My settings posted above didn't work. However Thankfully Sinecurea's did. Just a confirmation!!:)

Although having used it for 15 mins it runs like a dog! So it's probably only GPRS

shiny-blanket

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007
Having now moved to the new 7.50 bolt on data plan. My settings posted above didn't work. However Thankfully Sinecurea's did. Just a confirmation!!:)

Although having used it for 15 mins it runs like a dog! So it's probably only GPRS

Just to confirm the settings above work for me. Very slow though. Don't think it's worth adding the extra 7.50 bolt on. Wireless for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.