Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
Hey wattso! I have a UK iphone and got any o2 sim to working using the roll back to 1.1.1, jail break, then to 1.1.2 etc method.
I then entered the o2 EDGE settings in the EDGE pane found in Settings>General>Network.
I can confirm that EDGE WILL NOT operate with an o2 PAYG sim with £7.50 Bolt on
I can confirm that EDGE WILL OPERATE with an o2 simplicity sim with £7.50 Bolt on

My phone has been operating on simplicity + bolt on for several days and when in reach of EDGE coverage it has switched from GPRS (solid icon) to EDGE (E icon). However while using GPRS last nite when the service went down nationwide my phone crashed. When it rebooted my EDGE settings pane was GONE. However my EDGE/GPRS still operated today. I have been unable to figure out what has happened, if o2 perhaps performed some sort of update to remove the EDGE settings pane etc. On the other hand some iphone users have claimed an EDGE settings pane has never been present on their phones. Perhaps they are all on o2 legit contracts with the settings built in.
So to sum up...my EDGE works at the minute but if o2 where to change the user/password to access it I would have no EDGE pane to enter the settings into.

metoo6000

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
London, UK
On the other hand some iphone users have claimed an EDGE settings pane has never been present on their phones. Perhaps they are all on o2 legit contracts with the settings built in.

I have O2 payg sim, and I saw EDGE setting only once in the first day I turn on my iPhone, and then it's just gone. So I believe O2 did something to change EDGE setting recently...

wattso

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
Thanks for the reply!
Hrmm, seems a bit dodgy then.

I thought I had found the perfect solution, becuase I'm a student I really dont want to tie myself into an 18 month contract. Plus I would only pay £23 a month.

Any more input would be apprecicated. So if o2 have removed the edge network settings pane does this mean that Its impossible to input the settings and get EDGE?

Thanks in advance

vinylkiller

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2007
ok being a total noob at setting this up but where do i put these details is it in the network menu under VPN if so i need help with it can someone explain where i go to and where i put the details cheers guys

skallywag

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2007
connect to O2 only

I have an iphone that is using pay-and-go with bolt on. It will connect to the internet via gprs, but only to the O2.co.uk website. As soon as I try any other site I get connection to server timed out / connection lost.
There must be some dns settings that only allow connection to the O2 ip range.

Has anyone else that does not have connection via O2 just try connecting to O2 to see what they get?

Any ideas?

Skyld

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
I realise that this is a bit of a thread revival, but there seems to be a lot of confusion over the usernames and passwords used to access the O2 EDGE service.

To clarify for contract/Simplicity users:

You should be using the APN "mobile.o2.co.uk".

A variety of usernames will work, including "o2wap", "mobileweb", "faster", but there is an important difference with the "faster" username.

When you use the "faster" username, the GPRS network is compressing images and data before being delivered to your handset. The network is not technically operating any faster when using this username, but instead you are receiving compressed data. The compression does, however, reduce the quality of some data types like images (and possibly also audio?).

This might also be true of other usernames that are provided to you by default. To bypass the compression, use the username "bypass" and the data will not be modified before being sent to you.

kjarva

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007
here are the settings that I'm using and they seem to work fine

APN - mobile.o2.co.uk
Username - vertigo
Password - password

JamesL

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Help!!!!

hey basicly my iphone is from the US and i relised i had to have a data plan on my sim card so ive just bought 7.50 bolt on unlimited web and from what im reading with you i need to purchase more plans on top of it?

And all i can do now is connect with wifi and ive tryed all your posts with the passes usernames and APN's but still no luck and ive even searched every page 3 times now..
if im missing somthing please say because im fully stuck now and ive asked o2 and first time i said i was using an samsung and he said he would come back but it was a bit obvious he wasn't with that tone on his voice so i phoned back again and when they asked i admited and said i just had bought the handset of car phone ware house and they said well you must have it on a contract and then i slipped up by saying it was unlocked and that was when i had to hang up..

lol so if any one can help it would be a big help!

thanks! :)

johneboy

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2008
I've got an unlocked and iPhone from the US on 1.1.4. I'm on O2 and cannot get the phone to connect via GPRS or EDGE. I have a contract SIM card with just the adhoc data usage which I have used before on my old mobile with out any problems. But now it's in the iPhone I just can't get it to connect. I've tried all of the APN settings that people have mentioned, all of the different usernames and passwords and none of them work. Safari will still report that it cannot find the server.

Is there anything more that I can try? Are US iPhones known not to work?

cconstab

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
US Edge on O2 PAYG

I got it working !!!

Just need to set up your proxy configs (Google it)

193.113.200.195:8080 is the PAYG proxy..

It is not to tough to do but do it by hand and follow these set up proxy instructions

http://www.doitscared.com/?p=48

Good luck ! It does work honest !!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.