Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
Sneaky ba$tards. I knew they were using a different username to get on.

So here are the WORKING EDGE network settings ( i'm connected now - reminder to self, update data plan :) )

APN : web.02.co.uk
Username : faster
Password : web

Worked like a charm.

mcubaynes

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2007
edge

do we need an actual plan to get edge or i need to pay for a plan i live in canada and the data plan with rogers is fairly expensive if theres a way to connect with tmoblie at 5.99 i would like that so can somebody help me please

richardlai

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2007
So from what I have gathered so far is that the O2 EDGE connection only works for "Pay Monthly" or "Simplicity" tariffs, right?

I am now considering changing from "Pay and Go" to "Pay Monthly" with the web bolt-on, but also considering changing to other networks such as T-Mobile which offers a better deal.

So my questions today are:
1.) Has anyone tried both O2 and T-Mobile in the UK? Which one is better?
2.) Is EDGE still very slow compared to Wi-Fi?
3.) Has anyone experienced the Safari bug where it keeps closing itself down and returning to the home menu?

Thanks in advance.

ryanlownie

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2006
Right then, after reading this and some other places I bit the bullet and got myself the o2 Simplicity package and a £7.50 Data Bolt-On today.

Now I am presuming that you guys got the new Sim card with the Simplicity tariff?

Is it a case of inserting the new Sim, putting the EDGE settings in and your done?

Any help from people in my situation is much appreciated!

richardlai

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2007
Right then, after reading this and some other places I bit the bullet and got myself the o2 Simplicity package and a £7.50 Data Bolt-On today.

Now I am presuming that you guys got the new Sim card with the Simplicity tariff?

Is it a case of inserting the new Sim, putting the EDGE settings in and your done?

Any help from people in my situation is much appreciated!
I thought of getting the Simplicity plan, but then worked out that it would be cheaper to get the Online 25 + 7.50 bolt-on, plus a phone and then sell it for 300 pounds, making it only about 20 pounds per month in the duration of the contract.

Just got my new SIM card today, but EDGE is not as quick as I had hoped though... Will see how it goes.

ryanlownie

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2006
Yeah mines all working now. Have only tested EDGE at home where my signal is quite poor anyway. But will give it a try in the city tomorrow I think.

Other than that it all works great!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
isn't it better to sign up for the The Cloud Wi-Fi access instead and abandon EDGE altogether. It has more coverage, is cheaper and faster?

Spanners

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
Tunbridge Wells, UK
Speed Test

Ok a quick update....

I'm running an iPhone unlocked 1.1.1 on 02 Pay Monthly 20 with the 7.50 data bolt on and sitting in Central London.

I did two speed tests at the following site.

http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

Set the region to UK and network type to EDGE. Then I ran two tests. The first was using

APN: mobile.02.co.uk
USER: faster
PASS: web

The result was 144 kbits

The second test was run using the following settings

USER: mobileweb
PASS: password

The result was 408kbits

The second result is obviously much quicker and I assume its "real" EDGE and the first test is GRPS.

PS. I tried LCallers original settings which didn't work at all for me.

Let me know if anyone gets better/worse/different results.

richardlai

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2007
Set the region to UK and network type to EDGE. Then I ran two tests. The first was using

The result was 144 kbits

The result was 408kbits

The second result is obviously much quicker and I assume its "real" EDGE and the first test is GRPS.
Location: Fulham Road near Gloucester Road, South Kensington, London

APN: mobile.o2.co.uk

The result was 155.9 kbits.

The second test:

The result was 217.4kbits only. Lucky you!

LCaller

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Bloody hell what a simple idea that totally escaped me.

Right then here are my settings & results.

Wifi Connected : 2.1Mbps

The first result was 176kbits
The second result was 149kbits

Interestingly enough I can no longer connect using my original settings since it went down on Thursday.

The first result was 144.2kbits
The second result was 219kbits

chameleon1

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2007
iphone on UK O2 pay and go

ok, this is how i think it needs to be done, for those who have the 7.50 pay and go bolt on:

you need to access through a proxy server. here are instructions for setting up the iphone to use the proxy for t-mobile t-zones in the US:

http://arashpayan.com/blog/index.php/2007/09/17/t-zones-aka-599-internet-access-on-the-iphone/

but instead of using the t-mobile settings for apn, proxy, port, use UK O2 pay and go instead

APN = payandgo.o2.co.uk

Login ID = payandgo

Password = Password

IP Address = 193.113.200.195

Port = 8080

i am not in the UK right now, so I can't try this, but if it works, let me know!

rob-woody

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
GPRS hack

Hi all, I'm fairly new to this, I only had the iPhone a week ago, I have tried following the instructions with the hack, but no luck as yet, for some reason, on reboot it reset my preferences.plist back to the original, the think police are obviousely watching me on my phone, either that, or I've got one of the lines of code incorrect!!

Spanner,

Which method did you use to upgrade to 1.1.1, I am rather aprehensive about turning my iPhone into an iBrick in 1 week!!! Working on 1.0.2 is better than not working at all!!

rob-woody

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
Sorry Spanners!

I just realised I forgot to add the all important 's' to the end of your login, i guess this could make the difference on the advice! so appologies for that!

waseem3761

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
Settings Works !!!

Hi today i have finally done EDGE settings through the help of this website and i have entered

User:mobileweb
Pass: password

and it is working perfectly on it. The blue E mean it is currently connected to EDGE and that's what my iphone is showing it to me. i am on Simplicity as well but not sure how much they are going to charge me for it. Does any one using Simplicity if yes please let me know if i want to use it unlimited what would be the best procedure is?

Many Thanks

OK a 2nd iPhone that i set-up last week for a friend uses different settings.

He is on O2 "Simplicity" plan and is connected on web / web , so it is very contract specific. Just try them all and see which one connects.

EDGE is up and running, don't take no for an answer.

shah.jheal

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
Doesnt work!

Sneaky ba$tards. I knew they were using a different username to get on.

So here are the WORKING EDGE network settings ( i'm connected now - reminder to self, update data plan :) )

APN : web.02.co.uk
Username : faster
Password : web

The minute i put either one of the 3 on my phone and touch the next line it goes back to its main screen!!! can u please help???

Edit: it doesnt go back to the main screen now but the settings just erase themselves!!! HELP!

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
I take it you only need to do this if you have a hacked iphone? I have a uk one and a iphone contract and didn't need to change any of this :confused:

marky21

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2007
iphone ringtones and simplicity

hi all
im new on here ive a iphone 1.1.1 unlocked :) its fantastic but i've been using it on orange and it eats my credit using edge you tube etc im not always in wifi area especially work time lol i see you guys go for o2 simplicity with £7.50 browser added ive done this hey does it really work can you give me best apn username and password settings please also ive now got my own ringtones working with a very easy and i mean easy program from the installer its super dooper thanks anyone who helps me out have a great day all :0)
if you have installer which you should go to multimedia and install sendsong once installed come out of it you'll have a icon for sendsong click it there is a list of all your songs click one and it gives several options sendto ringtones should now be there :0)

wattso

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
Hi Guys.

Just need to get a few things straight.

I am planning on getting a French unlocked iphone (due to French laws but i assume everyone is aware of that?) I have a few questions that I would be extremely grateful if someone could answer:

It is my understanding that to get EDGE with the £7.50 per month bolt-on you must have the simplicity sim plan (which is £15 a month) Is this correct? Or could i simply have EDGE with the £7.50 bolt-on using my existing pay&go o2 sim?

Next question: Anyone have an idea of when the unlocked iphone is comming out in France? This side of christmas? And how much ?

Thanks in advance
:)
Wattso

waseem3761

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
Hi Many thanks for replying i have tried the following settings on my iphone 1.1.1 but it is running very slow i don't know for what reason please let me know any other outcome thanks

Ok a quick update....

I'm running an iPhone unlocked 1.1.1 on 02 Pay Monthly 20 with the 7.50 data bolt on and sitting in Central London.

I did two speed tests at the following site.

http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

The result was 144 kbits

The result was 408kbits

PS. I tried LCallers original settings which didn't work at all for me.

Let me know if anyone gets better/worse/different results.

wattso

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
Hi Guys.

Just need to get a few things straight.

I am planning on getting a French unlocked iphone (due to French laws but i assume everyone is aware of that?) I have a few questions that I would be extremely grateful if someone could answer:

It is my understanding that to get EDGE with the £7.50 per month bolt-on you must have the simplicity sim plan (which is £15 a month) Is this correct? Or could i simply have EDGE with the £7.50 bolt-on using my existing pay&go o2 sim?

Next question: Anyone have an idea of when the unlocked iphone is comming out in France? This side of christmas? And how much ?

Thanks in advance
:)
Wattso

Hi sorry to be a nag but I'm sure someone can help?:eek:

Thanks Alot :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.