Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Question for those of you who have had and perhaps sold Hermes editions in the past, how did the value hold? Was it as bad as the ceramic, which seem to lose a good 50% or more value after a year? Just curious if these hold value a bit better given the custom watch faces etc.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Question for those of you who have had and perhaps sold Hermes editions in the past, how did the value hold? Was it as bad as the ceramic, which seem to lose a good 50% or more value after a year? Just curious if these hold value a bit better given the custom watch faces etc.
I haven’t bothered trying to sell. They go for about what the regular stainless steel models go for. I hand them off to family. I did get $80 for the unused sport band and the box, charging cable etc, though.

On a positive note the leather bands wear well, partially the ones made from treated leather (all but the fauve Barenia).

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
All of the non-Aluminum Watches have horrendous resale, Hermès included.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I haven’t bothered trying to sell. They go for about what the regular stainless steel models go for. I hand them off to family. I did get $80 for the unused sport band and the box, charging cable etc, though.

On a positive note the leather bands wear well, partially the ones made from treated leather (all but the fauve Barenia).
All of the non-Aluminum Watches have horrendous resale, Hermès included.
Yeah, kind of what I figured. Had never gone with Hermes before, but liking my SBSS Noire so far. Still debating ceramic though. Just wondered if it was gonna lose as much value as my other higher end SS watches I had in past iterations. For sure the one that seems to fair the best in resale is the Nike edition. Aluminum with exclusive Nike watch faces do well.

JanoschR

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Germany
Yes, you'll lose a lot of value. Not sure that it is proportionally more than on the sport watches but – generally speaking – you shouldn't buy these watches for the resale value (compared to Apple computers or iOS devices).
[automerge]1570712443[/automerge]
On that note: I had the Series 2 Hermès and Series 4 in SBSS. Instead of getting the S5, I decided to go with a one month old Hermès Series 4 with the clown strap for 850€ (compared to 1400€ for the S5).

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Yes, you'll lose a lot of value. Not sure that it is proportionally more than on the sport watches but – generally speaking – you shouldn't buy these watches for the resale value (compared to Apple computers or iOS devices).
[automerge]1570712443[/automerge]
On that note: I had the Series 2 Hermès and Series 4 in SBSS. Instead of getting the S5, I decided to go with a one month old Hermès Series 4 with the clown strap for 850€ (compared to 1400€ for the S5).
Yeah. No, I for sure understand not buying these for resale value. I was just curious if they hold a better value than the ceramic. Which it looks like they don’t.

jaytee86

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Yeah. No, I for sure understand not buying these for resale value. I was just curious if they hold a better value than the ceramic. Which it looks like they don’t.

I was always under the impression that value might hold better Because of the expensive Hermes straps. If the strap condition is good, the brand name should help drive the value up right?

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019

i feel you can get better rates when selling at luxury consignments sites like the RealReal or Fashionphile

Last edited:

JanoschR

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Germany
I was always under the impression that value might hold better Because of the expensive Hermes straps. If the strap condition is good, the brand name should help drive the value up right?

Well, you want to use the strap, right? If it's in a pristine condition, it might holder better value but once it's worn (heavily), it might as well drive the value down further.

Norre8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2018
The resale value is decent because someone will always want what they can’t afford. So they’ll pay 50% of retail or more for an older version. I sound my Hermès for $700. That was more than expected.

GucciGriffinIII

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
All Hermes bands come in orange boxes FYI. The SB appears to be unique because it’s the only non-orange band box. It only matters if you collect these things. My username checks out ;)

The black Sport band is also very collectible because of the Hermes insignia in the pin. If you want to trade yours for an Orange one (brand new 44mm) let me know! I have a few spare ;)

Is the orange 44 compatible with my 40mm? I have the SBSS Noir and I do think the double black bands is redundant. I would love to trade my Hermes sports band for your orange one of they're compatible.
[automerge]1570748120[/automerge]
SBSS with SB Milanese loop. Loving the combo!

View attachment 867873 View attachment 867879

This is my daily driver as well! I had my watch and loop arrive on the same day.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
All Hermes bands come in orange boxes FYI. The SB appears to be unique because it’s the only non-orange band box. It only matters if you collect these things. My username checks out ;)

The black Sport band is also very collectible because of the Hermes insignia in the pin. If you want to trade yours for an Orange one (brand new 44mm) let me know! I have a few spare ;)
Wanna sell one?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It’s still a piece of technology, which depreciates faster than most assets. And most people actually wear the straps. Leather stretches. It gradually becomes the perfect size for the original owner. And the wrong size for any future owner. Luxury goods are worth the most to the original owner.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

iChernov

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2013
Munich, Germany
Big Watch | Hermes fan is here - hello everyone! :)

IMG_7309.JPG

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014

I got $900 for my Series 4 Hermes on Swappa. I did sell it before the Series 5 was announced though which I do think helped. That's still not great but its better than I've seen in other places where the Series 4 Hermes are going for $400-$500.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
I don’t understand why the resale value. I really don’t care, I bought it cause I wanted it and it will go back into its box once I don’t want it anymore.

andricop

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2011
Hello,
Is it possible to have the all black face on the Hermes S4 ?
I've just updated to 6.01 and don't see it (although I see other new Hermes faces lire the "encre" or "laiton")
Thanks

watch-modelheader-hermes-201909_FMT_WHH.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.