Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mso4

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
Originally I was looking at one of the SS watches. Then I said to myself you're buying a gadget that's going to be obsolete in a year or so. So I started looking at one of the aluminum ones. But I still didn't like any of them. Finally I said to myself, what the hell the Hermes is the one I really want! I love the face, the leather, the extra orange band.

Lucky for me that's when I saw a 42mm Fauve Barenia ST became available at my local Apple Store. So excited to pick it up tomorrow.

So just got an email from apple. Apparently they canceled my order!

When I called customer service, they told me they can only sell me 2 high ticket items per calendar year. But so far this year I've only purchased an Hermes double tour for my gf (it's being delivered today). I didn't get a chance to talk with the cs to made the decision only thru another rep who relayed the decision to me. So even he thought it was bogus. Anyways I'm pissed now and is still on the phone with them.

Way to go for customer service Apple :mad:

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

When I called customer service, they told me they can only sell me 2 high ticket items per calendar year. But so far this year I've only purchased an Hermes double tour for my gf (it's being delivered today). I didn't get a chance to talk with the cs to made the decision only thru another rep who relayed the decision to me. So even he thought it was bogus. Anyways I'm pissed now and is still on the phone with them.

What? What constitutes as a high ticket item? If you bought a MacBook and then wanted a Hermès, you could not get them in the same year? That is stupid.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
2md4879.jpg

2412xxx.jpg
2sb67o2.jpg

My new Hermes Series 2 with the blue leather band (which I purchased direct from Hermes online).
[doublepost=1475003731][/doublepost]
23siyxd.jpg

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
2md4879.jpg

2412xxx.jpg
2sb67o2.jpg

My new Hermes Series 2 with the blue leather band (which I purchased direct from Hermes online).
[doublepost=1475003731][/doublepost]
23siyxd.jpg

When did you purchase through Hermès online? When I tried to look early today, Hermès had nothing online for AW.

Looks awesome!

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I am on the UK site; so stock is probably different I imagine. Two days ago they had every model in stock. Now they have only an few and a couple of bands but if your in the UK then you could still order an AWH and get it this week from them direct.

Reactions: bmac4

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana

Do you use a special purchase program such as an EPP or school discount?

mso4

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
What? What constitutes as a high ticket item? If you bought a MacBook and then wanted a Hermès, you could not get them in the same year? That is stupid.

Apparently they said iPhones and Hermes watches are considered high ticket items. But I've only bought one of them (the other Hermes watch for my gf) this year. In previous years I've bought multiple iPhones and multiple macs/macbooks without a hitch.

Do you use a special purchase program such as an EPP or school discount?

No just a regular purchase with my credit card. Now I need to waste more time to get rid of this flag some idiot has decided to place on my account.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Apparently they said iPhones and Hermes watches are considered high ticket items. But I've only bought one of them (the other Hermes watch for my gf) this year. In previous years I've bought multiple iPhones and multiple macs/macbooks without a hitch.

No just a regular purchase with my credit card. Now I need to waste more time to get rid of this flag some idiot has decided to place on my account.
Wait, is the flag on your credit card or on your apple account?

mso4

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
Wait, is the flag on your credit card or on your apple account?

So just spoke with another rep. Apparently Apple might not want you to buy two Hermes watches online. It's an automatic stop or something. He said just go to an apple store and they should let me purchase. What a random thing to do. I mean how will this stop people from buying more to resale. Not a great way to treat your most prized clients. Angela Ahrendts should have a meeting with her team.

Anyways I had my gf purchased it online via her account so I can still pick it up later.

Reactions: nikster0029

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
So just spoke with another rep. Apparently Apple might not want you to buy two Hermes watches online. It's an automatic stop or something. He said just go to an apple store and they should let me purchase. What a random thing to do. I mean how will this stop people from buying more to resale. Not a great way to treat your most prized clients. Angela Ahrendts should have a meeting with her team.

Anyways I had my gf purchased it online via her account so I can still pick it up later.

My 101% guess is that this prevents some crazy person from ordering 3 Hermes and then picks one and return the other two. Basically avoiding people abusing Apple (generous) return policy. Remember, IF you buy from Hermes website, once you open the package, that watch is yours to keep...no returns!

BTW, i love Hermes face!!! Damn...i want one. :)

mso4

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
Ok sorry just was not sure which one you were referring too. The deployment buckle is the best one. Had I been able to order that one, I would have gone for it. I think it still says not available on Apple site.

Yes right now in the USA the deployment version is not available to order. I've been wearing a Cartier tank with the deployment buckle almost daily since 2013. I'm looking to switch up. Besides, for about $50 you can buy a really nice deployment and install in the current buckle.

I am a vintage IWC and Rolex collector and on some IWC Pilot watches I have a deployment buckle. The main advantages are less wear of the leather band (pin-holes) as it is just a 1 step click movement to lock the buckle. Also the under part of your wrist is now in contact with metal (the deployment buckle) and not with leather, so sweat has less influence on the leather..

I think the deployment buckle is an extra €200,00 but for me that is a no-brainer, considering the advantages...In fact I asked Hermès about the possibility to ship the deployment buckle for Hermès "Original" Apple Watch owners as well....

Yes the deployment buckle does look really nice. But having worn a deployment buckle for the past 3 years I'm starting to miss the daily ritual of putting on my watch in the morning. There is something fun about doing that. Kinda like the warm fuzzy feeling you get every time you sit down in front of your macbook or iMac. Or the feeling some people get from driving a manual sports car vs automatic. We know automatics are faster but some people like to shift gears. I personally prefer automatics.

Well made deployant clasps are great, and the one used by Hermes looks very nice. I've owned dozens of high-end watch straps over time, and there really is less wear on the band with a good deployant clasp. But for overall comfort, and regular buckle tends to be more comfortable, because if the deployant clasps hits your wrist wrong, it's a problem.

It took me over a month to get used to the deployment buckle on my Cartier. I have a small and bony wrist so the metal part of the buckle does not feel comfortable on my wrist because it's just a piece of metal that does not conform to the curve of your wrist. If you have larger or round wrist then it might not bother you. I just didn't like that buckle the first month I use it. But after that I didn't mind. So yes the regular buckle will definitely feel more comfortable to some people. You would have to try and see.

With regard to ease of use, the deployment buckle saves me about 2-3 seconds in the morning when I put on my watch. It's very easy to put on or take off. Just keep in mind that with the deployment buckle you cannot store the watch flat. And over time the metal deployment will rub on the wrist side of the leather. My Cartier is definitely showing signs of wear from the metal deployment rubbing against the leather. So I would have to say that it's not a no-brainer decision to me. I think it's a personal decision.

Reactions: Night Spring

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana

Go to ebay and you'll find series 2 hermes listed for $2,400.

these are limited production items so apple is likely trying to prevent some jerk off from buying 10 and hoarding them on ebay. In turn, apple is helping to protect their most prized clients by ensuring you don't have to pay a shark on ebay twice the asking price.

Reactions: Thai

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
For me, the deployment clasp is nice...but i wish Hermes did it like Omega's deployment where the long side tuck INSIDE the band:
omega_deployant_custom_keith_downing.jpg

Cleaner look (esp if you have small wrist) AND your wrist rests on the inside of leather band rather than a block of steel.

Reactions: mso4

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
For me, the deployment clasp is nice...but i wish Hermes did it like Omega's deployment where the long side tuck INSIDE the band:
omega_deployant_custom_keith_downing.jpg

Cleaner look (esp if you have small wrist) AND your wrist rests on the inside of leather band rather than a block of steel.

Oooh, nice! This I would want!

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008

If that was the case, Apple would cancel ALL my orders at this point. They don't. Someone screwed up.
[doublepost=1475021559][/doublepost]

Ahhh... should've read all the way down. I'm glad you were still able to get the watch.

mso4

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
His and Hers Hermes watches! Was able to pick mine up tonight. Her double tour also came via UPS today (pre-order as her birthday gift). I brought it into the apple store to purchase AppleCare for her. She wanted to shoot a short video of the unboxing so I told her sure. I can't wait for her to finish her video so I can unwrap my first Apple watch. To think I was going to get an aluminum one lol

IMG_0055.JPG

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Have you preordered online or do you plan on trying to pick one up at a Hermès/Apple Store?
I preordered online with Apple the night they went up for preorder.

What style did you go with?
I went with the 42mm Feu Single Tour. I wanted to buy the Fauve Barenia Leather single tour and buy the Feu single tour band to go with it, but at the time of ordering the Feu band said "Currently Unavailable" and orange is my favorite color so I decided to just skip the Fauve Barenia band and order my watch with the Feu band. I kind of regret that since now I see they do not sell the Fauve Barenia color by itself, but I am happy to get the Feu.

Do you plan on buying additional bands?

I was going to buy the Blue single tour but that one is now "Currently Unavailable" so I am waiting for it to become available again. Also hoping they make the Fauve Barenia available separately. If they did red or purple in the 42 mm I would go for those as well. I really like the purple leather and wish it was an option for 42 mm.

What attracts you to the Hermès Edition over another AW version?
I have the Sport from the Apple Watch Series 0. I knew the next watch I bought I wanted to be stainless steel. I really like the Feu band on the Hermes so I contemplated just buying the band separately with a Stainless Steel watch. I saw that the Hermes also came with an exclusive sport band, and I really dug the exclusive watch faces too and figured why not shoot a little higher and go for the Hermes this time around?

And mine is out for delivery TODAY!!

Reactions: pcall1128

pcall1128

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2015
Pennsylvania
Have you preordered online or do you plan on trying to pick one up at a Hermès/Apple Store?
I preordered online with Apple the night they went up for preorder.

What style did you go with?
I went with the 42mm Feu Single Tour. I wanted to buy the Fauve Barenia Leather single tour and buy the Feu single tour band to go with it, but at the time of ordering the Feu band said "Currently Unavailable" and orange is my favorite color so I decided to just skip the Fauve Barenia band and order my watch with the Feu band. I kind of regret that since now I see they do not sell the Fauve Barenia color by itself, but I am happy to get the Feu.

Do you plan on buying additional bands?

I was going to buy the Blue single tour but that one is now "Currently Unavailable" so I am waiting for it to become available again. Also hoping they make the Fauve Barenia available separately. If they did red or purple in the 42 mm I would go for those as well. I really like the purple leather and wish it was an option for 42 mm.

What attracts you to the Hermès Edition over another AW version?
I have the Sport from the Apple Watch Series 0. I knew the next watch I bought I wanted to be stainless steel. I really like the Feu band on the Hermes so I contemplated just buying the band separately with a Stainless Steel watch. I saw that the Hermes also came with an exclusive sport band, and I really dug the exclusive watch faces too and figured why not shoot a little higher and go for the Hermes this time around?

And mine is out for delivery TODAY!!
Awesome! What date did you order your Hermés? I'm trying to figure out when mine is going to ship :)

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
Apple finally updated the website to reflect the sports band lengths that come with the 38 s/m and 42 m/l.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Facetious or not, they really should give customers a choice (if they don't want to include both in the box).

This is enough to preclude me from buying the Hermes edition since I can't use the longer band. And no I won't punch a hole in it to fit me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.