Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mso4

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
Originally I was looking at one of the SS watches. Then I said to myself you're buying a gadget that's going to be obsolete in a year or so. So I started looking at one of the aluminum ones. But I still didn't like any of them. Finally I said to myself, what the hell the Hermes is the one I really want! I love the face, the leather, the extra orange band.

Lucky for me that's when I saw a 42mm Fauve Barenia ST became available at my local Apple Store. So excited to pick it up tomorrow.

Last edited:

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
I went with the ceramic this time, and could not be happier. I had the SS with the Hermès series 0, but when I saw the ceramic one, I knew I had to have it. My main concern was would it work with my Hermès band, and in my opinion it works well with it.
543c837ea7517c9ed13752e4a3359740.jpg

It remind me of the retro appliances with ceramic and stainless steel.

Congrats with your new ceramic :)

I love the Hermès (I own one myself too) and last week I had the ceramic on my wrist and the color combo is quite stunning and very subtile....but the leather Hermès band with the ceramic is IMHO not a great match.

The SS adapters are too much a contrast with the ceramic material. I think a sportband is the best way to opt for. Both have a more "industrial" look.

But hey, it is all a matter of taste ;)
[doublepost=1474972416][/doublepost]
Originally I was looking at one of the SS watches. Then I said to myself you're buying a gadget that's going to be absolute in a year or so. So I started looking at one of the aluminum ones. But I still didn't like any of them. Finally I said to myself, what the hell the Hermes is the one I really want! I love the face, the leather, the extra orange band.

Lucky for me that's when I saw a 42mm Fauve Barenia ST became available at my local Apple Store. So excited to pick it up tomorrow.
get it with the folding buckle, you won't regret the extra cost :)

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Congrats with your new ceramic :)

I love the Hermès (I own one myself too) and last week I had the ceramic on my wrist and the color combo is quite stunning and very subtile....but the leather Hermès band with the ceramic is IMHO not a great match.

The SS adapters are too much a contrast with the ceramic material. I think a sportband is the best way to opt for. Both have a more "industrial" look.

But hey, it is all a matter of taste ;)
[doublepost=1474972416][/doublepost]
get it with the folding buckle, you won't regret the extra cost :)

Thanks! I know it's a big contrast, but I like it. It just gives it that retro feel of ceramic and steel. The problem I have with the ceramic, is that with a sports band your at risk of it looking cheap. More so with any of the nice materials for the AW. The cloud sports band works extremely well with it, but some of them just look cheap. Not to say the ceramic looks cheap, but the rubber bands just don't always look great. I will say I feel that way about every AW. While I like the color of the Hermès sports band, I don't really love pairing it with the sports band. I understand for sports and other activities that you would not want to reck your Hermès, but in terms of fashion. I don't like them much at all. I think all the AWs look better with leather, nylon, or steel bands.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
sorry I think the correct English word is deployment buckle :)

Ok sorry just was not sure which one you were referring too. The deployment buckle is the best one. Had I been able to order that one, I would have gone for it. I think it still says not available on Apple site.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Ok sorry just was not sure which one you were referring too. The deployment buckle is the best one. Had I been able to order that one, I would have gone for it. I think it still says not available on Apple site.

I don't understand how the deployment buckle works, and why it is better than a regular band. Is it faster to get on/off? More comfortable to wear? More durable? Could someone explain?

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016

hmm, I had a reservation at the Munich Hermès Store for the Hermès Series 2 in Fauve Barenia with Deployment buckle and it came in last Friday. I changed my mind last minute as I ordered a SS Series 2 in space black to have 2 completely different watches. Th original Hermes to wear with leather- and the series 2 with more sportive bands :)

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I don't understand how the deployment buckle works, and why it is better than a regular band. Is it faster to get on/off? More comfortable to wear? More durable? Could someone explain?

Well it has less wear and tear on the strap. The actual buckle on the regular straps put a lot of wear on the strap and can cause it to wear down a lot faster. I think it may be easier to get on and off, but I also think it looks better. JMO

Mainly though I think it saves the life the strap.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
hmm, I had a reservation at the Munich Hermès Store for the Hermès Series 2 in Fauve Barenia with Deployment buckle and it came in last Friday. I changed my mind last minute as I ordered a SS Series 2 in space black to have 2 completely different watches. Th original Hermes to wear with leather- and the series 2 with more sportive bands :)

Really that is interesting. Here in the states as soon as I went to preorder it said unavailable. I believe it still says unavailable. I have not seen anyone on MR that says they got the deployment buckle. It's almost like they never had any.

2c827e456d0234532bd579ebdde0d9be.png
This is what the US stores says.

Reactions: nikster0029

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016

I am a vintage IWC and Rolex collector and on some IWC Pilot watches I have a deployment buckle. The main advantages are less wear of the leather band (pin-holes) as it is just a 1 step click movement to lock the buckle. Also the under part of your wrist is now in contact with metal (the deployment buckle) and not with leather, so sweat has less influence on the leather..

I think the deployment buckle is an extra €200,00 but for me that is a no-brainer, considering the advantages...In fact I asked Hermès about the possibility to ship the deployment buckle for Hermès "Original" Apple Watch owners as well....

Last edited:
Reactions: bmac4

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
Really that is interesting. Here in the states as soon as I went to preorder it said unavailable. I believe it still says unavailable. I have not seen anyone on MR that says they got the deployment buckle. It's almost like they never had any.

2c827e456d0234532bd579ebdde0d9be.png
This is what the US stores says.
Probably the Hermes Shops got some supply before the Apple Store itself. It as also an Hermès product after all ;)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Also the under part of your wrist is now in contact with metal (the deployment buckle) and not with leather, so sweat has less influence on the leather..

That sounds to me like defeating the purpose of getting a leather strap, if your skin is in contact with metal. The point of getting leather is to feel the leather, no?

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
That sounds to me like defeating the purpose of getting a leather strap, if your skin is in contact with metal. The point of getting leather is to feel the leather, no?

it is only a small distance where metal is in contact with your wrist. For me it is more the feel of leather on the wrist sides and most important: the smell ;)

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I would think that the Deployment band would be difficult to remove from the watch. You either have to press both releases at the same time and slide both parts out at the same time (probably impossible), or, do one, slide the band slightly, then do the same to the other, and slowly work the band out of the watch. Seems like a real PITA, plus it'd put some torque/twist on the band. If you're not a band-switcher, no problem I guess. But it seems like it'd be a problem if you like to swap bands with any real frequency.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Probably the Hermes Shops got some supply before the Apple Store itself. It as also an Hermès product after all ;)

That is true, but the other options all were available for preorder. The US online store has taken all the Hermès AWs down from the site. I guess they want you coming in for them.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I would think that the Deployment band would be difficult to remove from the watch. You either have to press both releases at the same time and slide both parts out at the same time (probably impossible), or, do one, slide the band slightly, then do the same to the other, and slowly work the band out of the watch. Seems like a real PITA, plus it'd put some torque/twist on the band. If you're not a band-switcher, no problem I guess. But it seems like it'd be a problem if you like to swap bands with any real frequency.

That is also something you have to think about with the deployment buckle. I guess it's whether the wear and tear is more important then switching bands.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Looking at pictures, seems to me that if you release the buckle before attempting to remove the band from the watch, you'd have enough length that torque/twist is not a problem.

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016

Nope: IMHO it ia an easy piece of cake to change bands when the deployment is fitted. The total length of the leather band is extended with the (total) length of the deployment buckle, so you have room enough to switch adapters....

Last edited:

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

That is also something you have to think about with the deployment buckle. I guess it's whether the wear and tear is more important then switching bands.
The Apple link bracelet also has a deployment clasp and I haven't heard anyone say that is difficult to remove while swapping bands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.