Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
The deployment band is quite nice.

I have always feared the sport watches because I really banged up my S0 SS watch and you'd never know it. I think I'd make a mess of a Sport, so they make me a bit nervous. I kind of which I'd gone your route with Sport to SS. I'm now trying to justify buying another SS that is pretty much exactly like the one I bought last year. Hence my look at the Hermes as a possible option. I also looked ceramic, but there really aren't enough bands that go with it and I wonder if a white watch would look like a glowing case on my wrist.

:D

My favorite of all the Hermes bands is the single tour Feu.

yeah if I had a SS S0 I don't think I could have justified getting a new one. Since running the wOS 3 beta the S0 has been amazing but the sport was looking beat up and I was tired of worrying every time I grazed something. If wOS 3 didn't make such drastic impovements and you really needed the dual core then of course I would upgrade in a second. The resale value of S0 SS's is horrible too.

Reactions: bunnicula

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011

I have always feared the sport watches because I really banged up my S0 SS watch and you'd never know it. I think I'd make a mess of a Sport, so they make me a bit nervous. I kind of which I'd gone your route with Sport to SS. I'm now trying to justify buying another SS that is pretty much exactly like the one I bought last year. Hence my look at the Hermes as a possible option. I also looked ceramic, but there really aren't enough bands that go with it and I wonder if a white watch would look like a glowing case on my wrist.

[doublepost=1474909027][/doublepost]

I assumed the same. When you call Hermes (not a big fan myself, but I do like their Birkin bags) they want your info to look up in their system straightaway. Someone who wasn't in their system would be more likely to receive possible snark. ;)

Customer service is wonderful in high-end shops, but the employees are occasionally brutal if they feel like they could be selling 200k-worth of merch instead of a 1k piece. Because, really, there just aren't many 1k pieces in an Hermes store anyway.

As for sport, from what I understand, the screen is more likely to be scratched than SS screen but the SS screen is more likely to chip than the sport. I think I'd just keep the RG you got, get apple care and then if you mess it up, get it fixed up.

As for the Seattle store expecting people to fly in, I had a theory that was confirmed. Although SoCal has 4 stores, the PNW (including Alaska) only has 1 store so people from Idaho/Alaska/Montana/Dakotas/etc probably fly to shop. Although still if I lived there, I'd choose NYC or LA over Seattle :)

Reactions: bunnicula

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Does anyone know if care for the leather band is required? Like applying leather lotion every 6 months to prevent drying and cracking?

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
There are 3 available fonts. Plus all the regular faces are available. I like the Hermès faces since they are designed for square watches. Analog Hermès watches are also square.

Also since watchOS 3, dial numbers are now in either white or Hermès orange. This can be set in iOS Apple Watch app.
[doublepost=1474916605][/doublepost]
Does anyone know if care for the leather band is required? Like applying leather lotion every 6 months to prevent drying and cracking?

I have wear my original AW Hemès edition band since last January and NEVER touched it with any application. Just wear it and if it gets wet, just dry it the natural way :)

As with leather shoes, never wear them week after week but they should rest....I change them with AW classic buckle bands in black and saddle brown.

ps. it might be a good idea to get the AW Hermès series 2 folding buckle so the band gets less stress.

Last edited:
Reactions: btrach144

BarredOwl

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
NC
IMG_0017.JPG
Anyone out there buy the blue agate single tour from Hermés? Please post some pics if you do!!

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

[doublepost=1474909027][/doublepost]

I assumed the same. When you call Hermes (not a big fan myself, but I do like their Birkin bags) they want your info to look up in their system straightaway. Someone who wasn't in their system would be more likely to receive possible snark. ;)

Customer service is wonderful in high-end shops, but the employees are occasionally brutal if they feel like they could be selling 200k-worth of merch instead of a 1k piece. Because, really, there just aren't many 1k pieces in an Hermes store anyway.

I went with the ceramic this time, and could not be happier. I had the SS with the Hermès series 0, but when I saw the ceramic one, I knew I had to have it. My main concern was would it work with my Hermès band, and in my opinion it works well with it.
543c837ea7517c9ed13752e4a3359740.jpg

It remind me of the retro appliances with ceramic and stainless steel.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
I went with the ceramic this time, and could not be happier. I had the SS with the Hermès series 0, but when I saw the ceramic one, I knew I had to have it. My main concern was would it work with my Hermès band, and in my opinion it works well with it.

And the groove where the band connects to the watch, fits well, too? Thanks

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
And the groove where the band connects to the watch, fits well, too? Thanks

Yep it actually fits better then the cloud sports band that comes with the watch. It looks amazing to me. That was the only reason I upgraded from series 0. Ceramic with Hermès.

Reactions: circatee

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
I was extremely tempted to pick up a Single Tour watch today at the local Hermes store; they are now in stock. Unfortunately, the premium over the regular SS 42mm with the saddle brown band is just too large, particularly since I have a number of other bands already. That and the fact that you can't return the watch once the inner box is opened or the watch is paired; with AC+ (even if the Hermes AW has a 2-year defect warranty), total cost with tax was north of $1,300. I'm going to wait until the Series 2 I have on order from Apple arrives, and then put it through its paces against my original AW. If it's a keeper, I'll either keep it or bite the bullet and get the Hermes watch then.

I just wish that Apple had a good "analog" watch face optimized for a rectangular shape. The existing faces aren't great, so I'm using the modular face. It would be nice to a true "dress" face for occasional use. That was another reason for not getting the Hermes. I'd be using the exclusive faces very infrequently, and at some point, all you've paid for is the band.

BarredOwl

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
NC
The fact that you can't return the watch once the inner box is opened or the watch is paired; with AC+ (even if the Hermes AW has a 2-year defect warranty)

This is Hermès retail policy, not Apple, correct? One would only encounter this (noticeably French style) policy if purchasing directly from Hermès.

If purchasing directly from Apple, the standard 2-week return policy applies, yes?

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
I was extremely tempted to pick up a Single Tour watch today at the local Hermes store; they are now in stock. Unfortunately, the premium over the regular SS 42mm with the saddle brown band is just too large, particularly since I have a number of other bands already. That and the fact that you can't return the watch once the inner box is opened or the watch is paired; with AC+ (even if the Hermes AW has a 2-year defect warranty), total cost with tax was north of $1,300. I'm going to wait until the Series 2 I have on order from Apple arrives, and then put it through its paces against my original AW. If it's a keeper, I'll either keep it or bite the bullet and get the Hermes watch then.

I just wish that Apple had a good "analog" watch face optimized for a rectangular shape. The existing faces aren't great, so I'm using the modular face. It would be nice to a true "dress" face for occasional use. That was another reason for not getting the Hermes. I'd be using the exclusive faces very infrequently, and at some point, all you've paid for is the band.
This is true. Buying from Hermes means you're screwed if you open the inner box. Buying from Apple still gives you the standard two week open box return policy.

Reactions: BarredOwl

BarredOwl

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
NC
Love that light blue color!!!! I have the sapphire blue, and it's much darker then this. Thanks for posting!!

I have the Saphir as well, and prefer it to the Agate. Yes, the Saphir is much darker and it is also a much richer color. The Agate is kind of flat.

BarredOwl

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
NC
How does the texture hold up over time?
I got the Saphir the day it was available and have worn it almost every day to work and on most social occasions, and it only gets getter. It's is softening up really nicely and the color is rich and deep. The textured exterior finish has smoothed in a couple of spots, and really compliments the patina that's developing.

I'll try to remember to post in the light of day when the true light is better.

pcall1128

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2015
Pennsylvania
I got the Saphir the day it was available and have worn it almost every day to work and on most social occasions, and it only gets getter. It's is softening up really nicely and the color is rich and deep. The textured exterior finish has smoothed in a couple of spots, and really compliments the patina that's developing.

I'll try to remember to post in the light of day when the true light is better.
That will be great to see. Mine is still pretty new, bought it right before it was discontinued. I'll be interested to see how mine will hold up over time.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008

I like that more than I thought I might. Hmmmm. Food for thought.

Reactions: bmac4
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.