Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoomy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
If you have time, could you measure the length of the band? If the 38mm only came with the M/L band, instead of both the S/M and M/L, it would be too large for my wrist

I don't have it here but my mother has the 38mm hermes series 2 and I tried her orange sports band on my 42mm SS S2. I normally use the S/M 42mm sports band on mine, using the the 4th hole of the 7. Her hermes sports band is a little bit smaller so according the the apple website measurements of those sports bands her band has to be S/M. So I think the 38mm always comes with S/M and the 42mm always with M/L.

My mom doesn't really need the sportsband, maybe I will use it, it fits quite well into an 42mm watch because it is a lot wider than the normal hermes bands.

Picture of the 42mm with the 38mm S/M band.

6QuHZ24l.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mmmaco

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
I don't have it here but my mother has the 38mm hermes series 2 and I tried her orange sports band on my 42mm SS S2. I normally use the S/M 42mm sports band on mine, using the the 4th hole of the 7. Her hermes sports band is a little bit smaller so according the the apple website measurements of those sports bands her band has to be S/M. So I think the 38mm always comes with S/M and the 42mm always with M/L.

My mom doesn't really need the sportsband, maybe I will use it, it fits quite well into an 42mm watch because it is a lot wider than the normal hermes bands.

Picture of the 42mm with the 38mm S/M band.

6QuHZ24l.jpg
You don't have to guess. It says on the back of the band the size.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I have the 42 mm so I can't comment on the 38mm. The sport band is just like all of apple's other m/l sport bands.
[doublepost=1474789882][/doublepost]
Then you're probably not the person who they're aiming for to begin with. The wonderful sales ladies at Hermès of Seattle asked if I had flown in.

If you can't afford to fly in to a Hermès store to buy this watch, then it was never meant for you in the first place.

You say that like you think I couldn't.

I have actually toyed with the idea. Which was why I responded to your thread. Did you see me criticizing how much you spent? Hell, it's not too expensive. The SS Link watches arent much less than the SS Single Tour. The Ceramic Edition is more than the SS Single Tour and you can pick that baby up in a regular, old Apple Store.

I think I'd personally be happy with a band or two because I really love the Hermes leather.

It was just an observation. Clearly, the current watch is to your liking enough that you purchased it. I was speculating that perhaps they'd win me over (whole watch vs. just the bands) by the next iteration.

I'm still not 100% enjoying the Hermes faces on this particular AW body. That's all.

But, my lack of specificity seems to have given you the impression that I was being critical because I cannot afford the watch. Ummm. No.

Reactions: Jstuts5797

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Then why not just buy the bands? I assume you have a steel Apple Watch to go with them?

Yep. I had been speculating about buying the S2 Hermes. That's why I was checking out the unboxing. I don't quite think it's for me, yet. But, am picking up a band or two.

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
If I'm not mistaken, that "saddle" brown color of Hermes band is only available when buying the Hermes Watch. So while I personally have considered buying the SS and Hermes bands separately (I'll rarely use those Hermes faces), what I'm really after is that specific color. Now I just need to decide if it's worth the markup (for me)...

Oh. And my two cents: $1300 - $1500 is decidedly not gotta-be-wealthy-enough-to-charter-a-jet expensive (I know that's not what the earlier poster really meant, but for the sake of argument...). Someone who makes $13/hr could make that purchase without issue if he/she decided that it was a worthwhile expenditure...and didn't mind saving a bit of cash for a while.

There's a $52,000 Cartier timepiece that I absolutely adore (and I am not a watch guy). Now THAT is gotta-own-the-jet expensive! My wife tells me that I'm welcome to buy it...when I give her the good news that I'm CEO of a publicly traded company. So...Hermes Apple Watch it is!

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
As a non Hermes series 0 owner, I had my favorite faces. I can't switch away from the hermes faces now though. I love them!

Reactions: BarredOwl

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
As a non Hermes series 0 owner, I had my favorite faces. I can't switch away from the hermes faces now though. I love them!
Yes, I had the Hermes original and that's really the only watch face I use. Now that Glances are gone and it's easier to swipe between faces I might set up one of the other faces with complications for weather, calendar, etc. but that's about it.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
The Hermes version is tempting to get. I have the first version and really don't have any good reason to get the second Watch other than wanting the full Hermes. I bought the etoupe band and love it with my current Watch. Wouldn't mind that brown strap, orange sport and faces.

Version 3 though might be something worth waiting for and who knows if these bands will continue working

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
The Hermes version is tempting to get. I have the first version and really don't have any good reason to get the second Watch other than wanting the full Hermes. I bought the etoupe band and love it with my current Watch. Wouldn't mind that brown strap, orange sport and faces.

Version 3 though might be something worth waiting for and who knows if these bands will continue working
Fully agree as I am in the same boat...so I decided to order a Space Black SS Series 2 and wait for any Series 3. Really best of both worlds: A original Hermes for luxurious moments and Series 2 for sports :)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Like the orange band but not a fan of the watch face.
There are 3 available fonts. Plus all the regular faces are available. I like the Hermès faces since they are designed for square watches. Analog Hermès watches are also square.

Reactions: btrach144

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
There are 3 available fonts. Plus all the regular faces are available. I like the Hermès faces since they are designed for square watches. Analog Hermès watches are also square.

It would be nice to get some shots of the variations of the faces/fonts on the watch.

I've seen them on analog Hermes watches, but not all of them on the AW.

Reactions: AFDoc

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Yeah. This is weird. That image you shared really makes it sound as though we're missing a second band in the box. Is it possible that this is an error on Apple's part?

the hermes bands are much more narrowly sized than apple's. the double buckle cuff for instance is 140mm - 170mm only. what would be the point of apple putting in the m/l sport band, when the s/m can already handle up to roughly 180mm wrists? for most, the second part would just go in the bin.

my main interest would be whether the 38mm double tour (large) still comes with the s/m band, or the m/l instead.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Is this a first Gen or Series 2 Hermes?
[doublepost=1474885864][/doublepost]

That's creative they provided various fonts available.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
If you can't afford to fly in to a Hermès store to buy this watch, then it was never meant for you in the first place.
They had three of the new Hermès watches on display at the new Birmingham store that opened on Saturday. I didn't fly in though because the local public transport was good enough to get me there. :p

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008

Band compatibility is always going to be a big question mark with the AW. How long does Apple let us go along enjoying the bands we already have? Do they redesign and make bands work for a longer period because they don't want to alienate people who buy a lot of bands so much that they start buying fewer bands because they don't want to get burned with a large collection that don't work any longer?

It's hard to say. Apple is known for rendering things obsolete. I just do not know if the Watch is established enough for them to try it with Watch 3.
[doublepost=1474896328][/doublepost]
Second but the fonts are the same in the first.

Thanks. Those straightforward shots really helped. :)

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Seriously? This is an Apple Watch not a JLC tourbillon. o_O

Obviously Seattle is suffering from extreme poverty and the only way to sell stuff at designer stores is to have people fly in to purchase items.

There are definitely people that fly to certain cities to buy certain items but Paris is a more likely destination (maybe NYC) than Seattle. I'd almost take the comment from a sales person asking if someone flew in as a slight as in they were saying 'obviously we haven't seen your ass here for anything else'. But sales people who sell designer items tend to be over the top on customer service and it definitely pays to buy at their store if you plan to buy other items from them in the future vs buying online or an apple store. It is definitely another world where it pays to get buddy buddy with someone who is selling you something as they may inform you of things or put aside things for you in the future. Hermes especially is known for this transactional relationship because some highly sought out items don't come with a commission fee for the sales people so they require you to build that relationship prior many times. (also want to add, I'm not a Hermes fan myself)

Reactions: bunnicula

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
Band compatibility is always going to be a big question mark with the AW. How long does Apple let us go along enjoying the bands we already have? Do they redesign and make bands work for a longer period because they don't want to alienate people who buy a lot of bands so much that they start buying fewer bands because they don't want to get burned with a large collection that don't work any longer?

It's hard to say. Apple is known for rendering things obsolete. I just do not know if the Watch is established enough for them to try it with Watch 3.

I went with the AW sport on the first gen because I knew the second gen would be where it is at if it followed the same trend as the phone. I think that it pretty much hit the mark that the S2 is what the S0 should have been, so I did what I told myself and my wife I was going to do and bought the black SS with link bracelet. It was a bit expensive but I think that it was worth it for what I use it for and if I continue to wear it every day then it is worth it for me. Now on the other hand, if my link was rendered obsolete in the next year (or even two years if that is the cycle of the watch) I would be a bit upset. If i get about 3-4 years out of my link I will be okay with that. The SS watch was a no brainer this time around after getting my sport so scratched up on come brush-ins with things around my house. Anyway, to get back on topic I really do like the leather deployment band.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I went with the AW sport on the first gen because I knew the second gen would be where it is at if it followed the same trend as the phone. I think that it pretty much hit the mark that the S2 is what the S0 should have been, so I did what I told myself and my wife I was going to do and bought the black SS with link bracelet. It was a bit expensive but I think that it was worth it for what I use it for and if I continue to wear it every day then it is worth it for me. Now on the other hand, if my link was rendered obsolete in the next year (or even two years if that is the cycle of the watch) I would be a bit upset. If i get about 3-4 years out of my link I will be okay with that. The SS watch was a no brainer this time around after getting my sport so scratched up on come brush-ins with things around my house. Anyway, to get back on topic I really do like the leather deployment band.

The deployment band is quite nice.

I have always feared the sport watches because I really banged up my S0 SS watch and you'd never know it. I think I'd make a mess of a Sport, so they make me a bit nervous. I kind of which I'd gone your route with Sport to SS. I'm now trying to justify buying another SS that is pretty much exactly like the one I bought last year. Hence my look at the Hermes as a possible option. I also looked ceramic, but there really aren't enough bands that go with it and I wonder if a white watch would look like a glowing case on my wrist.

:D

My favorite of all the Hermes bands is the single tour Feu.
[doublepost=1474909027][/doublepost]
Obviously Seattle is suffering from extreme poverty and the only way to sell stuff at designer stores is to have people fly in to purchase items.

There are definitely people that fly to certain cities to buy certain items but Paris is a more likely destination (maybe NYC) than Seattle. I'd almost take the comment from a sales person asking if someone flew in as a slight as in they were saying 'obviously we haven't seen your ass here for anything else'. But sales people who sell designer items tend to be over the top on customer service and it definitely pays to buy at their store if you plan to buy other items from them in the future vs buying online or an apple store. It is definitely another world where it pays to get buddy buddy with someone who is selling you something as they may inform you of things or put aside things for you in the future. Hermes especially is known for this transactional relationship because some highly sought out items don't come with a commission fee for the sales people so they require you to build that relationship prior many times. (also want to add, I'm not a Hermes fan myself)

I assumed the same. When you call Hermes (not a big fan myself, but I do like their Birkin bags) they want your info to look up in their system straightaway. Someone who wasn't in their system would be more likely to receive possible snark. ;)

Customer service is wonderful in high-end shops, but the employees are occasionally brutal if they feel like they could be selling 200k-worth of merch instead of a 1k piece. Because, really, there just aren't many 1k pieces in an Hermes store anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.