Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Would it be possible to have the post reactions of ignored users not be seen?

I’m sure all of us have people on our ignore list that for whatever reason we just don’t jive with and the forum is such a better place when you can place those people out of sight and out of mind completely.

This is one aspect of reddit that I really love. If you block someone there, they are literally just gone from your knowledge or sphere of noticing.

I would argue it’s better for everybody on a site like this to keep people that don’t like each other fully away from each other… Including even little nudge reminders that result from seeing their post reactions

@arn - A possible extension of the ignore feature at some point perhaps?

Last edited:

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Would it be possible to have the post reactions of ignored users not be seen?

I’m sure all of us have people on our ignore list that for whatever reason we just don’t jive with and the forum is such a better place when you can place those people out of sight and out of mind completely.

This is one aspect of reddit that I really love. If you block someone there, they are literally just gone from your knowledge or sphere of noticing.

I would argue it’s better for everybody on a site like this to keep people that don’t like each other fully away from each other… Including even little nudge reminders that result from seeing their post reactions

@arn - A possible extension of the ignore feature at some point perhaps?
Great idea. People do troll with the reaction icons. If they are being ignored, it would be great if they could be ignored totally.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Just to be clear on behavior.

Right now, if you ignore someone, you don't get an alert if they react, but you can still see it in the list of reactions for the post?

arn

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008

Right now, if you ignore someone, you don't get an alert if they react, but you can still see it in the list of reactions for the post?

arn

You see their reactions on all posts, including your own

So essentially an ignored user can troll every one of your posts though the reactions feature

Not ideal

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015

arn
In my experience as long as you have the "LOL" and "thumbs down" reactions enabled, there will always be some who abuse and troll with them. IMO Xenforo should have this as included with the ignore function but unfortunately they didn't. This mod will do the trick though and has a few other additional features that no board admin (especially on a site this size) should be without.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
In my experience as long as you have the "LOL" and "thumbs down" reactions enabled, there will always be some who abuse and troll with them. IMO Xenforo should have this as included with the ignore function but unfortunately they didn't. This mod will do the trick though and has a few other additional features that no board admin (especially on a site this size) should be without.
Ya I saw that one and was testing it. It’s a bit “heavy” of a mod with a number of database changes.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It’s a bit “heavy” of a mod with a number of database changes.
In my experience, I've found upgrading applications that have customizations or mods get increasingly more difficult, especially for larger more intrusive changes. The closes you can keep the software vanilla the better you'll be when you apply updates or upgrade it - just my $.02

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
If you see a member going out of his way to issue a reaction on your posts that you feel is trolling, please report that member and the moderation staff will investigate and act accordingly.

And how exactly do the moderators determine "intent."

I've reported posts before for trolling because a member made a comment to me that they KNEW from past interactions would get under my skin. I even escalated using the useless "Contact us" link(yes, I called it that because it is, do what you're going to for me calling it out).

At the same time, I've been told I was "trolling" for doing things that were specifically within the forum rules by asking for a source. Once again, useless "Contact us" told me the same thing.

It seems a lot of times these rules are made up as they go along and anyone can be accused of "trolling" if the moderators want to interpret a post a certain way.

BTW, @arn I'd suggest also looking at just how "contact us" is being used and how responses there are handled.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
In my experience, I've found upgrading applications that have customizations or mods get increasingly more difficult, especially for larger more intrusive changes. The closes you can keep the software vanilla the better you'll be when you apply updates or upgrade it - just my $.02
This site already has several customizations in place, they are designed to make life easier for staff. Imaging if everyone reported a post when someone trolled them with an emoji, you see it everywhere all the time.

Alternatively, if one is already on your ignore list and you can't see their emoji reaction, you will truly be ignoring them as intended. It's an ongoing request with Xenforo, hopefully they'll eventually address.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And how exactly do the moderators determine "intent."
If every post one makes in a thread has a "haha" emoji without any responses. It would seem the person leaving the "haha" would be trolling you. Personally I don't care and just move on and to me it's a sign of immaturity to interact in that fashion. But YMMV.
I've reported posts before for trolling because a member made a comment to me that they KNEW from past interactions would get under my skin. I even escalated using the useless "Contact us" link(yes, I called it that because it is, do what you're going to for me calling it out).

At the same time, I've been told I was "trolling" for doing things that were specifically within the forum rules by asking for a source. Once again, useless "Contact us" told me the same thing.

It seems a lot of times these rules are made up as they go along and anyone can be accused of "trolling" if the moderators want to interpret a post a certain way.

BTW, @arn I'd suggest also looking at just how "contact us" is being used and how responses there are handled.
Why do you let anyone control your emotions? Aren't you in charge of yourself?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Why do you let anyone control your emotions? Aren't you in charge of yourself?

If you're going to use that argument, why is there a rule against trolling?

If everyone should be able to "control their emotions" why is it not permitted to make "Posts that appear to be designed to cause argument or irritate rather than contribute to a constructive discussion are considered trolling and will be treated as such." ?

Similar argument for emojis/reactions being considered "trolling." If someone is expressing their emotions, why should others be allowed to be bothered by them?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If you're going to use that argument, why is there a rule against trolling?
Honestly this question feels like it's a can of worms, so I'll answer thusly. If one's post is moderated for trolling, does the poster take personal responsibility? Or blame the mods for being biased and uneven in their moderation?
If everyone should be able to "control their emotions" why is it not permitted to make "Posts that appear to be designed to cause argument or irritate rather than contribute to a constructive discussion are considered trolling and will be treated as such." ?
If you post something that is moderated, do you take responsibility for the post or do you blame the moderation on the fact that the moderators can't see nuances and are biased?
Similar argument for emojis/reactions being considered "trolling." If someone is expressing their emotions, why should others be allowed to be bothered by them?
I don't think there is a sentiment of not being bothered, but one is clearly in control of their world. Do you "road rage" if someone inadvertently cuts you off? I personally think it's immature to be trolled by reactions, yet some people do it. So if it's considered trolling by this site suspend their ass for a few days.

Reactions: icanhazmac

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
IMHO there is no need, members who follow other members around with 'laughing' emojis label themselves as fools that lack the communication skills necessary for nuanced conversation, I say let fools be fools.
Well, I agree with letting fools be fools, but I'd rather hear how this will be handled by the mods than j.random.user.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Honestly this question feels like it's a can of worms, so I'll answer thusly. If one's post is moderated for trolling, does the poster take personal responsibility? Or blame the mods for being biased and uneven in their moderation?

If you post something that is moderated, do you take responsibility for the post or do you blame the moderation on the fact that the moderators can't see nuances and are biased?

I don't think there is a sentiment of not being bothered, but one is clearly in control of their world. Do you "road rage" if someone inadvertently cuts you off? I personally think it's immature to be trolled by reactions, yet some people do it. So if it's considered trolling by this site suspend their ass for a few days.

I'm still not following this logic.

Personally I don't think deliberately attempting to elicit a response from a member is a good thing, and I understand why the rule is in place.

Yes, I've been moderated for "trolling." Sometimes it was what I consider a legitimate question but the person to whom it was addressed apparently took it as trolling, or a moderator read it that way. Sometimes it really was reacting in anger, and even though it wasn't right I've made peace with the folks with whom it happened. I've had asking for a citation for something called "Trolling" after seeing blatant BS posted and being told by (useless) contact us that it was "perceived by a moderator" as trolling. I don't see how a legitimate question asked within the rules can be, which does bring in thoughts of selectivity in moderation and bias. And yes I have addressed that through contact us only to receive responses that at times were frankly nasty. I really need to compile these and sent them to @arn because I consider that function of the site hopelessly broken with the person currently answering it.

No, I don't yell and cuss if someone cuts me off in traffic, although I'll give them a solid honk if I nearly hit them to make them aware that I was there.

To answer more broadly, I've had one poster-one particular poster-not like something I posted and come at me with guns blazing insulting quite a few things about me including my choice of cars, my dislike of a different brand, and the fact that they consider my enjoyment of working on them a sign that I own something I can't afford and that it's a piece of junk. Whether that's trolling or a personal attack, I don't know, but it was deemed non-actionable by the moderators and a subsequent appeal by(again useless) Contact Us. That poster, BTW, was and is not a stranger to making similar comments against me or other users that were again deemed non-actionable.

So, if a post personally bothers me, that is my perogative, particularly when it is a low-blow blatant insult. You seem top be conflating "being bothered" with acting on that by responding. I have reported many posts where that was the case, and was told to pound sand.

I'm really not sure what you're saying here, but it seems a lot of twisting of logic to say it's MY problem if someone insults me and I am bothered by it. Again, you seem to not be separating feeling insulted from acting on that, and they are two separate things.

That too is a problem, because if a post is directed at me(and yes by name) and it does nothing but insult me, it's a reasonable conclusion that I would be upset by it and would consider it an attempt to elicit a response from me(whether that's successful or not). You will likely say the moderators can't police people's thoughts, but they do regularly when they moderate something as trolling and say that they can recognize the "intent" of the poster and "how people are likely to react." To me you can't have it both ways.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It’s the best path forward and will also help reduce the load on moderators
There really is little no savings for the moderators. We rarely get reports of members going out of their way to troll via emoticons. IT does happen, but its fairly easy to spot the behavior with a quick look at their recent activity.

Reactions: 840quadra
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.