Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
There really is little no savings for the moderators. We rarely get reports of members going out of their way to troll via emoticons. IT does happen, but its fairly easy to spot the behavior with a quick look at their recent activity.

ok - well...It will make it a lot better for users at least.

The goal of ignoring someone is to “ignore them” (in all ways)
Really hoping we can get reaction emojis ignored also

Last edited:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
it's on the list. I'll see if I get get something custom made to handle this one issue, which seems a silly one for it not to work like this already.

I do try to limit add-ons as mentioned above by @maflynn -- it does make maintenance a lot harder over time and keeping up with Xenforo upgrades because all your add-ons have to get upgraded too.

Something like this isn't so big a deal if we have a small custom piece, in that either we can get it fixed/updated or if that functionality is lost for a while, it's not a game changer. Once you introduce new actual features, it's harder to get rid of them over time. This isn't what I would consider a new feature. Just a convenience / nice to have.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
it's on the list. I'll see if I get get something custom made to handle this one issue, which seems a silly one for it not to work like this already.

I do try to limit add-ons as mentioned above by @maflynn -- it does make maintenance a lot harder over time and keeping up with Xenforo upgrades because all your add-ons have to get upgraded too.

Something like this isn't so big a deal if we have a small custom piece, in that either we can get it fixed/updated or if that functionality is lost for a while, it's not a game changer. Once you introduce new actual features, it's harder to get rid of them over time. This isn't what I would consider a new feature. Just a convenience / nice to have.
Xenforo, vBulletin, et al. are platforms, like an OS. If we want features and functionality then we install official and third party addons in the same way. This is the case with every board owner, none are "vanilla", look at how many are employed here.

Upgrading and conflicts will always be an issue to some degree but Xenforo has a pretty decent system for installations, removals and the ability to disable them.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Anyone with a background in IT or "systems" will tell you that add-ons or mods, especially third-party, while at times useful don't scale very well and add to the potential for down time. If your site or systems have people's livelihoods or lives attached to them then as an owner/administrator it is in your best interest to minimize your vulnerabilities in that ever elusive quest for 100% uptime.

Last edited by a moderator:

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Anyone with a background in IT or "systems" will tell you that add-ons or mods, especially third-party, while at times useful don't scale very well and add to the potential for down time. If your site or systems have people's livelihoods or lives attached to them then as an owner/administrator it is in your best interest to minimize your vulnerabilities in that ever elusive quest for 100% uptime.
Any administrator of these message boards, regardless of site size, are running addons and pretending they don't is simply ignoring reality. Look at their sites, look at their dev sites, then look at all the posts and users within them. Heck, take a look at Arn's posts (or any other large site owner) on either vBulletin or Xenforo. They ALL do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Any administrator of these message boards, regardless of site size, are running addons and pretending they don't is simply ignoring reality.

I never claimed that add-ons are not used, I was highlighting the obvious: that it would be prudent for any site or system administrator in charge of systems that value uptime and are revenue generating or somehow life essential to minimize their vulnerabilities. Uptime will almost always outweigh cosmetic or convenience add-ons. Add-ons, especially third party ones, commonly cause upgrade/update issues as the devs are not always on the same page. Common sense really.

Oct 17, 2021
Disabling the notification seems like more than a reasonable accommodation. Alternatively one could provide a profile option to show/hide reactions. Anyone too thin skinned and triggered by a sad face can disable it from displaying. But it doesn’t seem worth the effort. Learning not to allow a sad face to hurt your feelings seems more valuable.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Disabling the notification seems like more than a reasonable accommodation. Alternatively one could provide a profile option to show/hide reactions. Anyone too thin skinned and triggered by a sad face can disable it from displaying. But it doesn’t seem worth the effort. Learning not to allow a sad face to hurt your feelings seems more valuable.

I'm surprised you have an opinion on this.
You just joined the forum today

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
How long must one be here after joining to suddenly have an opinion? ?

Nonetheless I have you marked down as surprised. ✅
I think most people join to ask a question about a device or software -- like myself. Some may join to express an opinion about a news article or rumor I suppose. Not many join to express an opinion on how the site is operated on the first day. So you can mark me down as surprised too. Regardless, welcome.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
I’ve actually always wondered why this site doesn’t have a 24-48 hour waiting period for new accounts to post.

I’ve seen that on many forums over time and it seems to dramatically cut down on spam or troll activity, as there’s much less incentive to whip up a burner account to go nuts on a particular topic real quick when one must wait a bit after making the new account.

Oct 17, 2021
I’ve actually always wondered why this site doesn’t have a 24-48 hour waiting period for new accounts to post.

I’ve seen that on many forums over time and it seems to dramatically cut down on spam or troll activity, as there’s much less incentive to whip up a burner account to go nuts on a particular topic real quick when one must wait a bit after making the new account.
You shouldn’t flatter yourself. I posted here to suggest MR report a story they missed last week.

Then I stumbled an absurd thread asking resource to spend hours helping walk someone off the ledge because they and their imagination are triggered over a sad face.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
You shouldn’t flatter yourself. I posted here to suggest MR report a story they missed last week.

Then I stumbled an absurd thread asking resource to spend hours helping walk someone off the ledge because they and their imagination are triggered over a sad face.

Nothing in what I said there was aimed at you
It was a general observation

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Just wanted to bump this again and see if any progress had been made.

It's really frustrating to have "ignored" users still be visible in reactions.

When it goes south between users, it's incredible how much "pleasure" some take in just "down voting" or "angry reacting" to anything you post. I honestly consider it a form of trolling... just a net negative for the experience here.

Reactions: JM

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
MR Staff: personally, this feature is not something that would affect my enjoyment of MR much. If allocating dev resources was up to me, I would improve searching of both MR articles and the forums and create tools for faster elimination of spam, minor ToS violations, and users with multiple accounts.

----------
ETA: one of the things I like best about MR Forums is that they are not Reddit.

Last edited:
Reactions: icanhazmac

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
MR Staff: personally, this feature is not something that would affect my enjoyment of MR much. If allocating dev resources was up to me, I would improve searching of both MR articles and the forums and create tools for faster elimination of spam, minor ToS violations, and users with multiple accounts.

It sure would for me -- the Elon conversation today is case and point

A priority should be placed on making the site enjoyable to use and free from trolling and harassing as much as possible.

Some won't ever get along and the ability to completely ignore each other should be prioritized.

Reddit gets this **very** right.

Reactions: JM

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
When it goes south between users, it's incredible how much "pleasure" some take in just "down voting" or "angry reacting" to anything you post. I honestly consider it a form of trolling... just a net negative for the experience here.

While I do not discount that you are obviously triggered by those that do not agree with you at last count you posted 29 times in the "Elon Twitter" thread and received negative reactions on 3 of those, I'd hardly call that trolling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.