Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Right there with you on this

The laugh being used in two very opposite ways essentially renders it functionally useless (beyond trolling), as I share your concern about using it to express genuine laughter and enjoyment at a post ... for fear of misinterpretation by the poster.
And I’m not sure if this is enforced anymore, but short posts that just have “lol” aren’t allowed (to pair with a laugh reaction.)

You ever see that game Clash Royale? They have reactions. And little dips**** will spam the laugh and cry emoji at you when you lose. 🤣 that game was so rage-inducing. Ha.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
^^ See what I did there?

:D

Who knows what I meant with that laugh...right?
That is a soul-less, deadeye smile pasted on. I see emptiness and sadness in those eyes.

What are you trying to tell us? Let us help 😆

Seriously though. I saw your laugh reaction as an empathetic laugh at my last sentence that ended with Lol.

If you meant it as “you’re ideas are stupid”, well, that wouldn’t really fit in the conversation. There is context already so it was understood what reaction was for.

Now… go create an alter ego, and do a laugh emoji somewhere and see what I think as a real test.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
Though, I did always assume people did it all the time to troll.

Me too -- maybe they spend all the energy to do it in ways where they don't get caught..

I put nothing past trolls -- they are in it to win it

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
Does this count?
1657824768081.png

• Haha
Reactions: JM

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
No, not at all. I am not trolling that member, I am genuinely angry that they created an account just to ask that question. I have every right to register my opinion regarding this post.

You still mad about the Ventura icon?

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
I am actually pretty surprised that a totally new account can even post in the Site/Forum feedback area.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Well the dislikes are limited to 10 per 24 hour as I understand it. As far as the "haha" goes, the last laugh is on them, because "haha" increases your reaction score.

But maybe it would be nice to block reactions except for the "like" or "love" reaction.

At least under xenforo one gets to see who is reacting to your post -- no more anonymous reactions.
I didn't know the "Haha" reaction increased score... well, then it's jokes on them then. Just today I had 14 notifications of the same user "Haha" my posts.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I didn't know the "Haha" reaction increased score... well, then it's jokes on them then. Just today I had 14 notifications of the same user "Haha" my posts.
So the real question is: what reaction is worth the most points? I’m trying to win here… 💪😎💪

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
No, not at all. I am not trolling that member, I am genuinely angry that they created an account just to ask that question. I have every right to register my opinion regarding this post.

You still mad about the Ventura icon?
Trogdor has every right to be mad and burninate the village when needed. Lol.

(I JUST noticed your picture).

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I am actually pretty surprised that a totally new account can even post in the Site/Forum feedback area.
Thankfully, even so, the forum hasn’t become a dumpster fire of new account trolling. Hats off to the members and probably more so to the admins.

(Did. Did I say that right? You’re still giving me a brand new MacBook Pro, right? What? No? Ah mannn.)

How on earth has this thread been the most interesting one in a while?! What other “hidden” conversations are going on?

Funny Apple Man

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2022
Hamburger Land
There is no prize for most reactions. Tbh, I feel the site would be better off without them. But, to each their own.
I'm conflicted about my stance on it.

On one hand, I'd say to keep reactions so that people in this forum wouldn't feel like they're being ignored when no one is replying to them.

On the other hand, there's the problem that having reactions here causes the same problems that social media has these days in which people see the amount of likes/follows/etc. they have as a measure of their self-worth and validation. That along with possible misunderstanding where the person giving a certain reaction may unintentionally rub some people off.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

On one hand, I'd say to keep reactions so that people in this forum wouldn't feel like they're being ignored when no one is replying to them.

On the other hand, there's the problem that having reactions here causes the same problems that social media has these days in which people see the amount of likes/follows/etc. they have as a measure of their self-worth and validation. That along with possible misunderstanding where the person giving a certain reaction may unintentionally rub some people off.
No matter how(and if) MacRumors tweaks the reactions, there will be those who will not like it. Imo those who use the reaction system as a weapon need a dose of maturity.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014

I would hope the amount of reactions doesn’t equate self worth.

Instagram exacerbated the problem when they took away thumbs up and changed it to hearts. No more “thumbs up I like this”…. No, now it’s “I love this. I love you”. Which creates a sense of belonging, acceptance, and delivery of love that real people might not be giving.

There’s a range of nuance in response here (MR) which is pretty great. You can create a better sense of genuine connection with a range of responses OTHER THAN a dichotomous “I love this/you” or “silence/nothing/ignoring”.

At least with a thumbs down, sad face, or angry face, there’s a genuine response without a written explanation that you can tell is from a real person. And, there is a nuance between “I like this” and “I REALLY like this” with the thumbs up and heart, leading to more genuine responses.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

You mean like advertising reaction scores?

Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
I hate to be cynical, but I'm pretty sure nothing will happen to the reactions other than perhaps being further expanded at some point.

I'm sure they drive "user engagement" and we know that ultimately becomes about money ... and well.... you know the story...

clicks, ad impressions, returning visitors, $$$, on and on

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I hate to be cynical, but I'm pretty sure nothing will happen to the reactions other than perhaps being further expanded at some point.

I'm sure they drive "user engagement" and we know that ultimately becomes about money ... and well.... you know the story...

It’s not always about money. PRSI was shut down and if you argue it was solely about money PRSI would never have been shut down. Banning and suspending members also falls into the same space. Loss of members equates to loss of revenue and if it only were about $$$, then members wouldn’t be suspended.

MacRumors does seem to want a thoughtful community experience. They probably do need to balance out the $$$ as this website is not a charity. I can’t possibly know all of the expenses but hosting fees, contributors etc. People need to be paid and bills have to be paid. So there is absolutely a component that $$$ do matter.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 19, 2008
It’s not always about money. PRSI was shut down and if you argue it was solely about money PRSI would never have been shut down.

An interesting point, but ultimately a different rationale at play there I think.

Having the emoji reactions (vs not) isn't causing massive moderator headache and workload.
That (moderation workload and issues) was the downfall of PRSI above anything else.

(I would imagine there was also some division in the moderator ranks about how to rule on many topics)

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014

Cynical yes. Haha

Is it not a good thing to create a place that makes returning desirable?

Striking a balance between chaos and complete lockdown is something the forums does well, whether through self regulation from users, or moderation.

And thus it creates a place that people want to come back to, and it keeps the $$$ flowing so the place can continue to exist.

Sounds good to me 👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.