Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Just don’t pull a Windows 8 and try and force me to use it.

For me that's the key. Forcing. I get that there are a few folks out there that want the whizzbang stuff like you can find in many of the jailbreak tweaks. I don't find them particularly awesome myself. But if they could be implemented as a choice without being a determent to the system for those of us that lack the desire to use them, then I'm just as fine with them being added as I am with them not being

----------

While I appreciate all the updates and features added inside the apps, I'd have to agree that you'd think they'd put SOME effort to making the MAIN page a bit more feature rich and functional.

Apple's attitude is that the home page is just a portal into things, not the thing itself.

----------

Not even in the ballpark of truth. The reason Apple hasn't changed the home screen has nothing to do with an inability to innovate or a general disinterest in that area of their OS. If MSFT and Google have done it, you can bet that Apple's UI team has considered it.

They have likely considered dozens of things, software and hardware. But clearly they rejected this 'tiles', at least at this point, despite how much Microsoft says the whole feature is wonderful.

And why, perhaps, did they reject such an idea. Maybe the very reason I said. The home screen isn't meant to be the destination but a step in the journey

----------

Still, I think it would be nice to be able to have a quick launch from Control Center to Settings, it still feels like a natural place for it.

I kind of like that idea. Perhaps with a setting that allows you to choose if you get a stand alone icon or in the CC. Kind of like how in Mac OS you have the menu item or the 'app', which can be just in the Application Folder or there and on the dock

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Some of the best ideas (wether they come to fruition or not) come from the fans!

But is came from Microsoft ! :eek:

You like it ? Get a Windows phone

----------

This looks needlessly complicated. Not sure what this would add to the user experience.

Tell me , exactly what part of this concept is hurting your little brain ? Is is the part where you pinch out to make the little icon bigger and give you more information in real time ???:confused::confused::confused:

Because that's all it is.

It's not hard

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
It's sad that many people are too closed minded to accept that other companies can have good ideas. Widgets can be great when done right.

And if you don't like it then don't use it, it's not mandatory. What have you got against choice?

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Why not just get a Windows Phone then?

Why does anyone think that is a valid question? This is actually one of the nicest features about Windows Phone.

I don't get a Windows phone because I use Mac OS at home and at the office. Meaning all my content (and most purchases) live in iTunes, iPhoto, App Store, etc. Unfortunately I'm stuck within Apple's walled garden and locked in pretty tight. Will have to think about this more going forward.

Regardless, that doesn't mean Apple can't look at something done better that improves their user experience and leverage it in some way. Doesn't have to be exactly the same.

Just reduce the amount of damn clicks I have to make. Are you going to argue that what the video demonstrates in the beginning is a "good" or "great" user experience? It WORKS fine, but could seriously be improved.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Why does anyone think that is a valid question? This is actually one of the nicest features about Windows Phone.

I don't get a Windows phone because I use Mac OS at home and at the office. Meaning all my content (and most purchases) live in iTunes, iPhoto, App Store, etc. Unfortunately I'm stuck within Apple's walled garden and locked in pretty tight. Will have to think about this more going forward.

Regardless, that doesn't mean Apple can't look at something done better that improves their user experience and leverage it in some way. Doesn't have to be exactly the same.

Just reduce the amount of damn clicks I have to make. Are you going to argue that what the video demonstrates in the beginning is a "good" or "great" user experience? It WORKS fine, but could seriously be improved.

I was being serious. Windows Phone is just as smooth as iOS, and it syncs surprisingly well with OS X/iTunes/iPhoto. Heck, it even supports iCloud.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Looks slick and would certainly bring some much needed glance and go information to iOS.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Personally I'd rather see iOS get a Dashboard for this type of widget; by all means make it grid based so you can fit as many units worth of widgets as can be accommodated by each Dashboard page.

This leaves the traditional icon view purely for launching and managing apps, just like Launchpad on OS X, and keeps from muddying the experience with two different types of indicator. While the Dashboard could then become the default view, you would still switch to "launchpad" for opening apps that you haven't positioned as widgets.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
what if you wanted to check some sports scores and the weather w/o having to enter a sports app, exit, then enter the weather app, then exit.
I said it's limited to which apps it will be useful with, the majority of apps will not need widgets, however I think developers will push one on there in anyway.

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Useless gesture for one hand use, requires interaction so you aren't getting details at a glance and the icons on the home screen are probably too small to be used with two fingers. Can't say I feel this is a good solution.

chrimux

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
Interesting idea. But I think widgets on ios are obsolete. App icons like calendar and clock do already show up-to-date information, and for stocks, weather and calendar events this information is in the drop-down.

Wdgets on Mac OS X are great.

cliveren13

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2009
Ios8

With all the screen real estate iPhone 6 will supposedly be getting Apple can afford for Ios8 to look better than it is now 5.5 inch waiting for

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
I hate widgets, most Android users i know create a mess, they didn't understand difference between widget and icons.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's very Windows Phone-ish, but that's also a really good idea they had. My gf has a WP7 and I do really like how some of the data is laid out. I think I'd just like to see a more dynamic looking display or at least a panel (maybe improve the lock screen?) with a news/RSS ticker, weather panel, maps image of the local area.

It can be done elegantly.

----------

Interesting idea. But I think widgets on ios are obsolete. App icons like calendar and clock do already show up-to-date information, and for stocks, weather and calendar events this information is in the drop-down.

Wdgets on Mac OS X are great.

I'd like the current system to be a bit more customisable. It's all well and good hiding that in the top-pull down menu thing, but it also displays my notifications which I don't want to be so easily viewable.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Ungodly numbers of clicks to the damn home button is what's needlessly complicated. This looks pretty damn slick and would save me tons of time.

Weird, that workflow demo'd is almost verbatim of what I do throughout the day. Weather, stocks, messages.

Launch. Close. Launch. Close. Launch. Close.

:mad:

:confused: Or you could just swipe down for notification center and get the same weather, stock, and messages info.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
The haters are hating because their pride has taken a huge hit as of late with Apple following instead of leading in the mobile space.

Everything from the iWatch to larger iPhone to smaller iPads to new features added to iOS is Apple finally doing things that have already been done by someone else. These haters would rather see a feature not exist at all, then see their beloved Apple copy yet another feature from the competition, even if they are in no way forced to use this feature if they truly don't like it.

But hey, the silver lining is that Apple did manage to make a computer that looks like a waste basket. How many companies can make that claim! ;)

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I would love to see something like this, I actually really liked the functionality of my lumia 920 but the overall app support and stuff just wasn't there. I would love to see this implemented but I doubt it will :(

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I dont see this as very useful, and it clutters the home screen. both examples, which is the best they could come up with are very easy accessible allready. Music menu by sliding up the bottom menu...and weather would drain battery if always updated, and if not, apple could easily add enough weather info into the app icon, you dont need to fill a full 2x2 box for that.

Personally, I never even found widgets for OSX that useful.

If Apple would add some customisation like that, I would rather have it as small snippets on the lock screen, so you could add the stuff you like there in the order you prefer. it would be much more useful imo. I wouldnt mind have weather, todays calendar and maybe a rss feed or latest twitter messages on my lock screen together with notifications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.