Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I would imagine that the vast majority of iPhone buyers have two hands, though.

True, although in another thread, we're discussing one-handed needs with an amputee.

--

I'm a bit amused by all the responses to my simple observation that using a pinch gesture on a small app icon, doesn't cater to the one-handed users.

I was trying to be kind to them, as usually I'm the one wondering why so many people want one handed usage on a multi-touch device. :)

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
This looks needlessly complicated. Not sure what this would add to the user experience.

The mix of tiles and icons in the same view is confusing and breaks continuity of the launcher view.

There is a desire to have a tile view but I see this as an extension of the home screen and not the launcher.

Perhaps a tile of each app running in the background shows on the home screen. You would flick left and right the tiles to see what you want and a flick up to get rid of it as you do in the existing process view.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I am having trouble understanding the naysayers arguments here...

First and foremost, if this were to be an OPTION, nobody would be forced into using it. A widget (or live tile or whatever you want to call it), on every platform it currently exists on is OPTIONAL. Notice the emphasis on OPTION. If they add this and you hate it, you simple never use it. Simple.

As far as it being complicated. How? Because it gives you the weather and location right on the screen without opening an app or having to pull up on Apple's current "widgets" option?

I would personally love something like this for notes, or calendar, or some such. Just one or two bullets updating throughout the day of what I have coming up next on my list of things to get done.

I will concede that I see this as not being great for something like the music app controls, especially one handed. I still wouldn't go as far as to say that I do not want to see this. Why? Well, it might be useful to someone even if that someone isn't me, and adding that feature would literally not effect me in any way since I would simply choose not to use it.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
You mean the competition that copied the platform? The competition would still be making flip phones and keyboard phones.

Who did Windows phone copy?

----------

What's the point of posting this right before WWDC when there is zero evidence Apple will be doing anything like this iOS 8? I could maybe understand if it was an actual jailbreak or something. But it's not even that. It's just a mediocre attempt at widgets on iOS.

What was the point of posting the Beats deal at the beginning? The rumor was true. This one may or may not be.

Ericstephen

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2013
I love this. I hope we something similar to this at WWDC. Eventually iOS will change and this isn't a drastic change and it's optional.

----------

I am having trouble understanding the naysayers arguments here...

First and foremost, if this were to be an OPTION, nobody would be forced into using it. A widget (or live tile or whatever you want to call it), on every platform it currently exists on is OPTIONAL. Notice the emphasis on OPTION. If they add this and you hate it, you simple never use it. Simple.

As far as it being complicated. How? Because it gives you the weather and location right on the screen without opening an app or having to pull up on Apple's current "widgets" option?

I would personally love something like this for notes, or calendar, or some such. Just one or two bullets updating throughout the day of what I have coming up next on my list of things to get done.

I will concede that I see this as not being great for something like the music app controls, especially one handed. I still wouldn't go as far as to say that I do not want to see this. Why? Well, it might be useful to someone even if that someone isn't me, and adding that feature would literally not effect me in any way since I would simply choose not to use it.

Great points. It's optional.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I love this. I hope we something similar to this at WWDC. Eventually iOS will change and this isn't a drastic change and it's optional.

----------

Great points. It's optional.

We should be so lucky for iOS8 to intro something as new and exciting with additional ways to interact and get immediate glance and go information.

I wouldn't get my hopes up though.

It's just this incredible waste of space on the iPad and soon the iPhone 6. You have all this screen-estate but very little to show with it unless you're in the app and that's all you see.

ceezet

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2013
So funny. I made this a day after iOS 6 was launched. Keep in mind this was way in the the pre iOS 7 age. Nobody liked the concept and now 2 years later this is front page news :rolleyes:

ios7-500.jpg

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Who did Windows phone copy?

What was the point of posting the Beats deal at the beginning? The rumor was true. This one may or may not be.

This isn't a rumor though. It's just a mock up someone did that happened to make the front page of the Verge website. That's why I'm questioning whether it should be front page news. What's the point when there have been ZERO rumors that Apple is planning to implement widgets in iOS? I could maybe understand if this was a mock up of split screen multitasking as that rumor IS out there.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
This isn't a rumor though. It's just a mock up someone did that happened to make the front page of the Verge website. That's why I'm questioning whether it should be front page news. What's the point when there have been ZERO rumors that Apple is planning to implement widgets in iOS? I could maybe understand if this was a mock up of split screen multitasking as that rumor IS out there.

Ok, now I get what you meant. :)

----------

Are you talking about the pre iPhone Windows phone, or the post iPhone Windows phone?

Do you think that Microsoft copied Apple with Windows Phone after the iPhone? Do you think they copied Windows 8 from Apple too? Just curious.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Home Screen Widget 'Blocks' Imagined in New iOS Concept

Ok, now I get what you meant. :)

----------

Do you think that Microsoft copied Apple with Windows Phone after the iPhone? Do you think they copied Windows 8 from Apple too? Just curious.

As someone who used Windows phones for many years before the iPhone was introduced, and Pocket PCs before that, the current Windows telephone was at least inspired by a need to compete with the Apple revolution in phones.

Microsoft's switch from their old mobile platform to the new one would never have happened without the success of Apple's iPhones and iPads. This is a good thing, it's competition in the marketplace.

Last edited:

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Holy crap that looks terrible.....

At least center the wording under the "block".....

Why? The point is the wording is already in its correct position when its smaller. The big block is 4 x the size of the normal icon. Its aesthetically pleasing.

burtba

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
If they release IOS8 and its still rows and rows of icons, there is going to be some complaints. The media will comment for sure, as they did with IOS7. Fair enough now. It works very well YES, BUT really it can still work well with some widget style implementation. I like this.....A LOT.

Almost guarantee we won't see it though. Such a shame

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
As long as they implement it better than Android. Frozen and unresponsive widgets are pointless. Which is why I figured Apple never implemented them. Widgets running all the time tend to drain the battery.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
As long as they implement it better than Android. Frozen and unresponsive widgets are pointless. Which is why I figured Apple never implemented them. Widgets running all the time tend to drain the battery.

Good thing that kinda stuff never happens in Android. My phone is two years old with split screen and 10 apps running almost all of the time and my widgets have NEVER frozen.

I also get about 35 hours of battery life with average usage. More with light usage. To be fair though my Note 2 battery is bigger than most folk's phones.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Good thing that kinda stuff never happens in Android. My phone is two years old with split screen and 10 apps running almost all of the time and my widgets have NEVER frozen.

I also get about 35 hours of battery life with average usage. More with light usage. To be fair though my Note 2 battery is bigger than most folk's phones.

I've used a Note II, and the widgets freeze. If you are saying they don't, you are probably also one of those users who denies that Android had any problems with stuttering and freezing issues throughout the OS, thus prompting the whole "project butter" movement.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I've used a Note II, and the widgets freeze. If you are saying they don't, you are probably also one of those users who denies that Android had any problems with stuttering and freezing issues throughout the OS, thus prompting the whole "project butter" movement.

So you're debating my anecdotal evidence with more anecdotal evidence?

Good for you!??!?!!

I guess. :rolleyes:

Here's one for you. I've used an iPhone 4s, 5, and 5s and apps freeze and quit on it too. Also the battery life is abysmal.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
So you're debating my anecdotal evidence with more anecdotal evidence?

Good for you!??!?!!

I guess. :rolleyes:

Here's one for you. I've used an iPhone 4s, 5, and 5s and apps freeze and quit on it too. Also the battery life is abysmal.

You here just to troll or what?

My evidence is not just anecdotal. There are Android widgets that have an option to "stay active" in the settings option, with the logical implication that when the option is not checked, they are set to sleep after a certain amount of time, which explains why many widgets do not respond to inputs sporadically.

Not only that, but your iPhone complaints have nothing to do with the topic at hand, which is widgets.

But have a nice time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.