Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kestasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
My automation are not working anymore after updating to tvOS 17.x.x.

I have smart lamps, the automatic lamps always worked when the TV was turned on. Now the lamp never comes on when the TV is turned on. When I turn off the TV, the lights turn off and it works fine. Is everyone like that? Do you have any suggestions on how to fix it?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
have you rebooted all of your home hubs? It seems to work better if you unplug them all, and then go back and plug them in.

kestasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
have you rebooted all of your home hubs? It seems to work better if you unplug them all, and then go back and plug them in.
Yes, I rebooted Philips Hue, both LG TV and Apple TV. No reaction due to automatic ON.
Before that I never had a problem, it was very nice when I turned on the TV, the default lights and the mood turned on.

When I turn off the TV, the automation works. Turns off all lamps and even turns on one lamp.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
do you have any other homekit home hubs (homepods or appleTVs) anywhere in your home?
phillips hue doesn't apply here. It's a hub, but not a homekit homehub.

It's possible the aTV connected to the TV isn't the active hub, so rebooting it won't do much. since another device on the network is what's watching for the TV to turn on.

Also if something is screwy, rebooting them all forces them all to pull the config from apple (or at least reload from local storage) which can clear up things that might have gotten corrupted.

You may also need to delete and rebuild that automation, sometimes in the upgrade, it's possible for something to get lost.

kestasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
do you have any other homekit home hubs (homepods or appleTVs) anywhere in your home?
phillips hue doesn't apply here. It's a hub, but not a homekit homehub.

It's possible the aTV connected to the TV isn't the active hub, so rebooting it won't do much. since another device on the network is what's watching for the TV to turn on.

Also if something is screwy, rebooting them all forces them all to pull the config from apple (or at least reload from local storage) which can clear up things that might have gotten corrupted.

You may also need to delete and rebuild that automation, sometimes in the upgrade, it's possible for something to get lost.
I was fine all along until I installed tvOS 17.
I only have apple tv as my main home smart.

I have deleted and recreated the automation many times. didn't help.

maybe it's a big apple bug?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
a couple of test to try...

Open the home app on your phone, with the tile for the TV visible on screen.

1. Try turning the TV on and off using either the TV remote, the Siri Remote, or the button on the TV, does the icon in the home app update to show the correct status?

2. Try turning the TV on/off using the tile in the home app, does the TV turn on/off, and do your automations happen? (if you click the icon in the tile, it will toggle the TV on/off. If you click the tile, it brings up the more detailed control screen)

kestasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
IMG_2931.jpeg

a couple of test to try...

Open the home app on your phone, with the tile for the TV visible on screen.

1. Try turning the TV on and off using either the TV remote, the Siri Remote, or the button on the TV, does the icon in the home app update to show the correct status?

2. Try turning the TV on/off using the tile in the home app, does the TV turn on/off, and do your automations happen? (if you click the icon in the tile, it will toggle the TV on/off. If you click the tile, it brings up the more detailed control screen)
IMG_2930.jpeg

1. Yes. Remote on tv. No automation.
2. Yes. Remote on app. No automation.

Remote/App turn off tv. Yes automation.

Activate only Off automation.. :(

tvOS 15/16 works perfect. TVOS 17 sad..

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
when you use the remote, does the status in the home app change to match the TV? Mine sometimes lags a bit, especially on power on.

I see multiple "when TV turns on" have you tried deleting all of those at the same time? it's possible that having multiple with the same trigger is causing some confusion in the background.

you can try deleting the automation, then rebooting the aTV, then re-creating the automation. Might help anything that might be "stuck" in the aTV.

You might also check out "controller for homekit" it's a third party homekit controller, you give it permission to access your home, and all devices, automations and scenes show up there. It's possible that the automation isn't fully deleting or something else funky. sometimes things will show up there, that don't in the home app. Try deleting the automation in the home app, and look for something that shouldn't be there in controller. It free, with some features as a paid upgrade, I don't think you need those extra features.

kestasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
when you use the remote, does the status in the home app change to match the TV? Mine sometimes lags a bit, especially on power on.

Yes, the state changes normally and there is no lag

I see multiple "when TV turns on" have you tried deleting all of those at the same time? it's possible that having multiple with the same trigger is causing some confusion in the background.

Yes, I deleted a lot together and created new automatics again, but it doesn't respond when I turn on the TV

you can try deleting the automation, then rebooting the aTV, then re-creating the automation. Might help anything that might be "stuck" in the aTV.

Do you mean delete the automation and turn the tv off/on and recreate the automation? Yes, I tried

You might also check out "controller for homekit" it's a third party homekit controller, you give it permission to access your home, and all devices, automations and scenes show up there. It's possible that the automation isn't fully deleting or something else funky. sometimes things will show up there, that don't in the home app. Try deleting the automation in the home app, and look for something that shouldn't be there in controller. It free, with some features as a paid upgrade, I don't think you need those extra features.

What do you mean controller? automation is only homekit.. I didn't build it anywhere else because there is nowhere. the strangest thing is that everything was fine until tvOS version 17.. Even more strange, when I turn off the TV, it works automatically, turns off the lights

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008

Do you mean delete the automation and turn the tv off/on and recreate the automation? Yes, I tried

no, I mean rebooting, restarting, power cycle.

you can do this either through the menu, or unplugging from the wall and plug back in. or by holding the < and menu buttons on the remote.
The white light should go off, and you should see the apple logo with a progress bar for a moment.

If in previous posts, where you said you have rebooted, all you did was turn it off and on with the power button on the remote, and not really restart it, you should try actually rebooting it before you do anything else.

Turning the aTV off doesn't do much, it just puts it into a light sleep.
rebooting causes it to reload it's settings.

What do you mean controller? automation is only homekit.. I didn't build it anywhere else because there is nowhere. the strangest thing is that everything was fine until tvOS version 17.. Even more strange, when I turn off the TV, it works automatically, turns off the lights

It's an app. If you google "controller for homekit" it's the first result, or search the App Store.

Homekit is a protocol.
Home is an app made by apple.

The Home app is one option to access homekit. Home is missing a few features that Apple added to homekit, that are included in other options.

There are many other apps that also allow access to homekit. Once you allow them access to your home, all accessories and automations are available in all of them, and changes made one will automatically show in others. so yes, there is somewhere else to build automations.

It's similar to how with gmail, you can access it from the web, or your mail app. it's all the same backend, but the frontends are different, and have different features, And things deleted/moved in one will do the same in the other.

something has gotten confused in your automations, and possibly there are "phantom automations" that aren't showing in the home app, but might show in one of the other homekit apps. It's possible the automations that respond to the TV turning on got partially deleted or corrupted, and are now somehow blocking the others. It's possible it's trying to run the "bad" automation first and exiting and not making it to your new ones.

actually rebooting might clear those corrupted automations.

it's possible that because they're corrupted, the home app won't show them, but they may still exist. The other homekit apps might actually display them, so you can fully delete them.

kestasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
no, I mean rebooting, restarting, power cycle.

you can do this either through the menu, or unplugging from the wall and plug back in. or by holding the < and menu buttons on the remote.
The white light should go off, and you should see the apple logo with a progress bar for a moment.

If in previous posts, where you said you have rebooted, all you did was turn it off and on with the power button on the remote, and not really restart it, you should try actually rebooting it before you do anything else.

Turning the aTV off doesn't do much, it just puts it into a light sleep.
rebooting causes it to reload it's settings.

I rebooted a lot together, pulled the plugs from the wall. Both Apple TV and LG TV. No result

It's an app. If you google "controller for homekit" it's the first result, or search the App Store.

Homekit is a protocol.
Home is an app made by apple.

The Home app is one option to access homekit. Home is missing a few features that Apple added to homekit, that are included in other options.

There are many other apps that also allow access to homekit. Once you allow them access to your home, all accessories and automations are available in all of them, and changes made one will automatically show in others. so yes, there is somewhere else to build automations.

It's similar to how with gmail, you can access it from the web, or your mail app. it's all the same backend, but the frontends are different, and have different features, And things deleted/moved in one will do the same in the other.

something has gotten confused in your automations, and possibly there are "phantom automations" that aren't showing in the home app, but might show in one of the other homekit apps. It's possible the automations that respond to the TV turning on got partially deleted or corrupted, and are now somehow blocking the others. It's possible it's trying to run the "bad" automation first and exiting and not making it to your new ones.

actually rebooting might clear those corrupted automations.

it's possible that because they're corrupted, the home app won't show them, but they may still exist. The other homekit apps might actually display them, so you can fully delete them.
Thanks, I'll have to try "controller for homekit" when I can and see what's good there

kestasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
"controller for homekit" didn't help, it doesn't even see the TV and can't add automation, but Homekit sees it and lets add automation.

Attachments

• IMG_2938.jpeg
    IMG_2938.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 53

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
correct, but can you delete them?
It doesn't handle media devices.

please re-read everything I've put down, it feels like I've spent a lot of time responding, and you're reading half of it.
I suggested controller as a way to delete possible orphaned automations, not as a way to add them.

use it to go though and delete them all.
then power cycle the aTV
then use the home app to re-create them.

kestasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
correct, but can you delete them?
It doesn't handle media devices.

please re-read everything I've put down, it feels like I've spent a lot of time responding, and you're reading half of it.
I suggested controller as a way to delete possible orphaned automations, not as a way to add them.

use it to go though and delete them all.
then power cycle the aTV
then use the home app to re-create them.

My final chronology:
1. Install "Controller for Homekit"
2. I deleted all automations visible and invisible (old garbage).
3. I rebooted the Apple TV, turned off the power.
4. I created new automations with "HomeKit" to activate the lights when the TV is turned on.
5. No reaction. Same..

I'm disappointed and give up.. I can't figure out what else to do, or wait for the new version of tvOS..

Parp Quat

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
I have the same problem. I have an automation that turns on my backlight when my LG TV powers on. My temporary solution was to create a scene that powers on my TV and backlight and to use Siri to activate the scene. The automation to turn the backlight off when the TV powers off still works.

You are not alone. I feel your pain. Sorry I didn't see your thread sooner!

kestasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
I have the same problem. I have an automation that turns on my backlight when my LG TV powers on. My temporary solution was to create a scene that powers on my TV and backlight and to use Siri to activate the scene. The automation to turn the backlight off when the TV powers off still works.

You are not alone. I feel your pain. Sorry I didn't see your thread sooner!
That's what I've done to turn on the scene with TV and lights. But it is inconvenient, especially with small children. You want to come, grab control tv or apple tv control and turn it on. Just like it used to be.. and the action is faster with the TV remote than with the phone

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Home hasn't worked properly for me since the "new" architecture was introduced. I tried everything possible and still not working properly. The funny thing is all my smart devices have apps available to control and update them and they work perfectly. I just gave up on HomeKit and make due without the automations..

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Same issue here. I have an automation to turn on the light behind my LG tv. It no longer works after updating to 17.1. For some reason it works when I turn off the tv. Glad to see Im not the only one with this issue. A similar automation with my Sony tv works fine for some reason.

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
Same issue here. I have an automation to turn on the light behind my LG tv. It no longer works after updating to 17.1. For some reason it works when I turn off the tv. Glad to see Im not the only one with this issue. A similar automation with my Sony tv works fine for some reason.
With turning off tv, do you mean to turn it off but keeping it in standby without connection to your home-network.
Or:
Do you turn it off and unplug it?
Or:
Do you keep your network connections active during standby?

In other posts I also see people mention a LGtv. And I also have an LGtv with an unusable LGtv-app on my phone that is only used to put in the password of my account at LG.com.

Could this app be problematic? It is a messy thing and my LGtv can be used as a hub/borderouter if I'm not wrong, for the thread/matter network. Could this cause interference?

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
My automation started to work again.
I don't know what I did to get it to work again. But I deleted the Home app and the automations app from my phone. Restarted my phone and installed them again.

And then I also looked into the LGtv-app. It appeared that my location in that app was somewhere where I was not... I corrected it.But I am not sure if it has anything to do with it.

And then I discovered that my AppleTV was shown up in two different rooms at the same time. Wich is impossible even for an AppleTV. So I corrected that too.

kestasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
My automation started to work again.
I don't know what I did to get it to work again. But I deleted the Home app and the automations app from my phone. Restarted my phone and installed them again.

And then I also looked into the LGtv-app. It appeared that my location in that app was somewhere where I was not... I corrected it.But I am not sure if it has anything to do with it.

And then I discovered that my AppleTV was shown up in two different rooms at the same time. Wich is impossible even for an AppleTV. So I corrected that too.

I tried this option:
1. Delete automation
2. Delete the Home app
3. Restart iPhone (but what does this have to do with AppleTV automation?)
4. Install Home app and created new automations
5. There is no response when turning on the TV with LG TV and the lights do not turn on.
6. When the TV is turned off, the lights automatically turn off, everything works fine.

This option did not help me

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
I tried this option:
1. Delete automation
2. Delete the Home app
3. Restart iPhone (but what does this have to do with AppleTV automation?)
4. Install Home app and created new automations
5. There is no response when turning on the TV with LG TV and the lights do not turn on.
6. When the TV is turned off, the lights automatically turn off, everything works fine.

This option did not help me
This suggests that the problem might be your LGtv.
Restarting your phone could trigger a sync of the settings from your phone into your AppleTV, if they got different settings due to the update.

I am not sure what you already did and did not. But personally I would delete your LGtv from the Home-app. Restart all you devices ;-), And then see if all your remaining automations work.
If they work, you can add the LGtv again and see if everything keeps working. If you have the LG-app set up, does it have the same settings as the Home app?

(And...... I don't like the Controller for Homekit-app. I think it is a horror app. In my humble opinion you can also delete that app. It let's you dive so deep into the Homekit system that it is easy to mess things up.)

tonnert

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2021
Here's another case of an LG TV in the Home. I've got Ikea Tradfri powerplugs connected up to HomePods. The automation turned on the power to the HomePods when the TV was turned on. This setup stopped working about 2 to 3 weeks ago, out of the blue. Probably after updating to TV OS 17 Since a few days however, all automation in the whole Home has become wonky. Lights will turn on, but automations involving the Tradfri powerplugs seem to struggle. I still have an original Ikea bridge, not the newest one.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I also have an LG, but I use homebridge instead of the native LG homekit.

I've had no issues. My automations that trigger with on and off have been working.

Reactions: blago_user
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.