Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kestasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
I also have an LG, but I use homebridge instead of the native LG homekit.

I've had no issues. My automations that trigger with on and off have been working.
I tried Homebridge, I also had the LG plugin installed. But I still didn't understand how to use and create automatics :)

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I tried Homebridge, I also had the LG plugin installed. But I still didn't understand how to use and create automatics :)

you add the plugin to homebridge, get it configured. after that you don't need to touch homebridge again, just let it run.

Then you go to the home app and add it, just like you would any other native homekit device. After that, just use the home app to configure automations or scenes. In the home app, it appears just like your regular TV.

back to the original question....
Don't remember if you've tried removing your TV from home, and re-adding it. (you'll have to rebuild your automations again)

kestasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
you add the plugin to homebridge, get it configured. after that you don't need to touch homebridge again, just let it run.

Then you go to the home app and add it, just like you would any other native homekit device. After that, just use the home app to configure automations or scenes. In the home app, it appears just like your regular TV.

back to the original question....
Don't remember if you've tried removing your TV from home, and re-adding it. (you'll have to rebuild your automations again)
I don't understand anyway.
I installed lg webos tv plugin to homebridge and added it to homekit. I entered the IP address of the TV from the router into the plugin, as well as the MAC address of the TV from the router. it's like bridge now, not like tv. I can't create automation as TV, because there is no separate icon for TV.

Yes. I reset the LG TV, re-added it to the homekit and did a new automation. it didn't help.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I don't understand anyway.
I installed lg webos tv plugin to homebridge and added it to homekit. I entered the IP address of the TV from the router into the plugin, as well as the MAC address of the TV from the router. it's like bridge now, not like tv. I can't create automation as TV, because there is no separate icon for TV.

Yes. I reset the LG TV, re-added it to the homekit and did a new automation. it didn't help.
Then you've done something wrong, it should show up as a TV.

kestasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
IMG_2960.jpeg

Then you've done something wrong, it should show up as a TV.
the problem is, I don't understand how to use that homebridge and how to make the TV as a TV, not a bridge

IMG_2959.jpeg

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
there are 2 options

1 - you haven't set homebridge up properly, and don't have a TV configured, check the homebridge logs

2 - it's been added, but it's in the default room, if on the main home page, you click "speakers and TVs" you should see the TV there, no matter which room it's in. you can move it to the proper room from there.

kestasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
there are 2 options

1 - you haven't set homebridge up properly, and don't have a TV configured, check the homebridge logs

2 - it's been added, but it's in the default room, if on the main home page, you click "speakers and TVs" you should see the TV there, no matter which room it's in. you can move it to the proper room from there.
Install other plugin. a tv icon appeared! Thanks. but the tv on and off icon does not work. hmm, it's not clear what to set there. tv ip address and mac added.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
it's been a while since I set it up, but read through the plugin webpage

you might have to enable app access on the TV

check out your homebridge logs, there should be errors that will sort you out. I recommend restarting homebrige, it will also restart the logs, which will give you less log info to search through, Then click the square wave icon at the top. Will probably be a lot easier on tablet or computer, the extra screen size will make the log much easier to see.

kestasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
thank you very much man. homebridge added. it was necessary to turn on the TV and activate it through a pop-up window.
automation works with the TV remote control and the lights turn on, just like in the old days. at least this option works if homekit has damaged something. thank you

arnoz

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Switzerland
Exact same issue with an LG TV added to HomeKit since 2022. There was an automation that turned led when the TV turned on but since recently, probably iOS 17, it doesn't work anymore.
So the only solution is Homebridge now? Well, thanks for the stability, HomeKit…

Reactions: blago_user

blago_user

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2023
Thank's a lot @waw74 , I was having exactly the same issue and switching to Homebridge helped :)
Luckily I already had Homebridge and even had it configured for 1 of my TVs.
Worked as a charm. Thanks again.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
also, as a side note, by doing this, you can opt out of the user agreement, and disconnect the LG from the internet (I block mine in my router). When you agree, you give them permission to analyze the video signal and report back what you're watching. Even if it's coming from an external device over HDMI like a cable box or aTV, the AI in the set determines what you're watching and sends that info back to LG, and possibly their partners, depending on what you have enabled.

if you haven't agreed to the terms, I think native homekit is disabled. All apps definitely are.

arnoz

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Switzerland
also, as a side note, by doing this, you can opt out of the user agreement, and disconnect the LG from the internet (I block mine in my router). When you agree, you give them permission to analyze the video signal and report back what you're watching. Even if it's coming from an external device over HDMI like a cable box or aTV, the AI in the set determines what you're watching and sends that info back to LG, and possibly their partners, depending on what you have enabled.

if you haven't agreed to the terms, I think native homekit is disabled. All apps definitely are.
Ah! That's not only good to know, but it might be causing my issue. There was an update recently and I seem to remember to have just bypassed the new terms without agreeing to them. I'll check that out, thanks.

kestasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017

and how to block through the router so that LG does not analyze what you are watching?

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
Well my pleasure of working automations was short lived. Because without me changing anything the automations stopped working.
However I read on the official apple community support site that there are many people without LGtv having the same problems.

On reddit a user called 'Stuybee' suggests to set up an automation that is triggered by your phone. I did not yet try it but it seems to work for this user. I did not yet try. (2 months ago already)

Oddly my automations going away and coming home still work. I believe there is an issue with the locations and automations that should do something when you're home. Meaning there is not much more to do than to wait for Apple to kill the bug.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/comments/16tjcdm

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
and how to block through the router so that LG does not analyze what you are watching?
depends on your router.

you may not be able to do it.

I'm able to set up a rule in mine to block certain internal IPs from the internet.

kestasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
depends on your router.

you may not be able to do it.

I'm able to set up a rule in mine to block certain internal IPs from the internet.
my router can block IP addresses, but how do I know the LG tracking address?
I once tried to remove agreements through the settings of the LG TV itself. This is why the automation stopped working for me :)

kestasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
One more observation, I don't know if this is related to Homebridge. But when I put LG TV, Panasonic and Plex in Homebdridge. I noticed that in the Home app, moving the light by percentage from 0 to 100% started to slow down. Stutters, jumps, lags when you swipe a few times, then it works fine for that time. Could it be a problem with Homebridge? Because the lights have their own HUE bridge. I don't understand why this happened.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
my router can block IP addresses, but how do I know the LG tracking address?
I once tried to remove agreements through the settings of the LG TV itself. This is why the automation stopped working for me :)
I block the IP of the TV from being able to connect to anything on the internet. (so it's LAN address)
Homebridge can still talk to the TV, since the TV is allowed to talk to other devices on your network.

For your other issue, try rebooting?

you can restart homebridge with the power button on the top of the homebridge web interface
you can also try restarting the home app, rebooting your phone, rebooting your home hubs.

kestasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
I block the IP of the TV from being able to connect to anything on the internet. (so it's LAN address)
Homebridge can still talk to the TV, since the TV is allowed to talk to other devices on your network.

you can restart homebridge with the power button on the top of the homebridge web interface
you can also try restarting the home app, rebooting your phone, rebooting your home hubs.
Hello,
I can't block TV IP because I use Apple TV+ and other apps.
my NAS shuts down automatically at night when I go to sleep. So all home hubs reboot every morning.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Hello,
I can't block TV IP because I use Apple TV+ and other apps.
my NAS shuts down automatically at night when I go to sleep. So all home hubs reboot every morning.

a NAS is not a home hub, I'm guessing it's what you're using to run homebridge
a hue hub (or any other manufacturer) is also not a home hub

A "home hub" is a specific thing, it's an a appleTV or HomePod, it's used as a homekit controller when you're not home. Any automations will run on it. it also allows your devices to connect to your home when you're away.

You should check out appleTV, it will give you another home hub, and let you not have to use the apps built into your TV.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
My network consists of 8 eeroPro routers one of which is the gateway connected to our fiber broadband provider. The system updates each device periodically, usually monthly, and sometimes the new network causes one or more Home devices to go “No Response.” This is annoying and very inconvenient as these devices must be taken out of their outlets for 10 seconds or so, then plugged back in. This does whatever reset is needed and the devices work properly again. Again, annoying and very inconvenient.

I currently use Wemo smartplugs. Some experience the above, the others work properly. Even with Thread, smartplugs seem to be a crapshoot today. Perhaps Matter devices will be better? Tired of buying smartplugs, having gone from X-10 power line modules, to TP Kasa, to iHome, and now Wemo. I also have a couple of Nanoleaf smart bulbs that have frankly only worked for very short periods of time, and I gave up on them.

kestasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017

a NAS is not a home hub, I'm guessing it's what you're using to run homebridge
a hue hub (or any other manufacturer) is also not a home hub

A "home hub" is a specific thing, it's an a appleTV or HomePod, it's used as a homekit controller when you're not home. Any automations will run on it. it also allows your devices to connect to your home when you're away.

You should check out appleTV, it will give you another home hub, and let you not have to use the apps built into your TV.
i mean virtual hubs which are now homebridge (NAS).
there is now LG TV virtual homekit bridge, panasonic tv bridge and plex bridge.

lights have their original hue bridge.

Well, sometimes it's convenient to watch YouTube, Plex or Apple TV on TV. not only through apple. it is convenient when there is a choice of speed

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
when I say home hubs, I mean home hubs, and only home hubs , which is the aTV or HP, not any other device that happens to have hub in it's name. Or anything that you've decided is a "virtual hub"

Pretty much all homekit traffic goes though the home hubs. so if your homekit traffic is slow or wonky, I'd start with rebooting the home hubs.

Rebooting any other hubs might help those devices, but unless you do the home hubs, you haven't addressed the one thing that's common for ALL of your homekit devices.

so your traffic goes
iPhone-> home hub -> hue hub -> hue light.
iPhone -> home hub -> home bridge -> LG TV
iPhone -> home hub -> Panasonic TV.

if you don't reboot the homehubs, then the traffic path for a lot of your devices hasn't been touched at all.

the appleTV has apps for YouTube, plex, and appleTV+.
for the most part they're better than the ones that are on the TV.

Not sure what you mean by "choice of speed", With the aTV and the Siri Remote, the siri remote controls it all. In daily use I never touch the TV remote. Siri Remote powers on the TV, controls the aTV, and controls the volume on my soundbar.

Siri Remote is much faster, I can hit the power button, it turns everything on. Then I hold the siri button and say "search YouTube for cat videos", it launches YouTube, and takes me to the search page with "cat videos" already filled in

and to avoid confusion
AppleTV = hardware box that runs apps
AppleTV+ = Apple's streaming service

hatak

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2023
I have Govee T2 connected to Meross Smart Plug Mini. Automation ON LG TV ON Smart Plug Mni ON (does not work after updating Apple TV 4K 128 GB) and LG OFF SMART Plug Mini OFF (works). I have read this thread and understand that there is no solution for this at the moment apart from homebridge. Do I understand correctly?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.