Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
I started to add and remove songs from several playlist. Now HomePod says it can't play that playlist and wants me to try again later. Other times it says, it can't find that playlist or it says it will play but nothing plays. Even after you see the Siri graphic on top swirling to process the command...nothing plays. So adding or removing and renaming playlist screws up the whole thing. Maybe I'll just a few hours to see if iTunes Match finishes updating on the server. Perhaps thats what is causing it to fail again.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I started to add and remove songs from several playlist. Now HomePod says it can't play that playlist and wants me to try again later. Other times it says, it can't find that playlist or it says it will play but nothing plays. Even after you see the Siri graphic on top swirling to process the command...nothing plays. So adding or removing and renaming playlist screws up the whole thing. Maybe I'll just a few hours to see if iTunes Match finishes updating on the server. Perhaps thats what is causing it to fail again.

Unplug the power cord from the wall.

Count to 10.

Plug the power cord back in the wall.

Works for me every time.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Unplug the power cord from the wall.

Count to 10.

Plug the power cord back in the wall.

Works for me every time.
Well the cable company had to do some work and turned off internet access several times. HomePod suddenly stop recognizing any of my playlist in iTunes. I have iTunes Match no Apple Music. I tried the unplugging it for 10 seconds and more a few times. It didn't work for me. I had to remove the HomePods and set them up again as new. Then it recognized my playlist after doing that. Clearly the new update didn't do anything to fix this problem.

I don't know why the HomePod can't just use HomeSharing to access the playlist in iTunes. Why won't Apple allow that.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Well the cable company had to do some work and turned off internet access several times. HomePod suddenly stop recognizing any of my playlist in iTunes. I have iTunes Match no Apple Music. I tried the unplugging it for 10 seconds and more a few times. It didn't work for me. I had to remove the HomePods and set them up again as new. Then it recognized my playlist after doing that. Clearly the new update didn't do anything to fix this problem.

I don't know why the HomePod can't just use HomeSharing to access the playlist in iTunes. Why won't Apple allow that.

I didn’t realize you were talking about iTunes Match. That service has been buggy and has had problems for years.

Have you considered switching to Apple Music? It has all the functionality of Match (I have thousands of boots, rarities, and imports uploaded and playable across all devices without issue) and is far more stable, and having access to 45 million songs is a benefit as well.

Last edited:

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
I didn’t realize you were talking about iTunes Match. That service has been buggy and has had problems for years.

Have you considered switching to Apple Music? It has all the functionality of Match (I have thousands of boots, rarities, and imports uploaded and playable across all devices without issue) and is far more stable, and having access to 45 million songs is a benefit as well.
Well no I don't want to use Apple Music. I've had iTunes Match from the beginning and I like collecting and owning my music to play. It's just ridiculous that Apple doesn't give a S about iTunes Match so that people will switch to Apple Music which cost more than ITM. If this is Apples motivation then shame on them.

Scott Storm

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
I’ve done that and it still doesn’t work for me. I have reset the homeods and start from scratch and still not resolved.
Where is this HOME APP? I unboxed the Homepod, followed the instructions and it started playing things from the phone. I don't see. HOME APP on the iphone at all? Thx

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Where is this HOME APP? I unboxed the Homepod, followed the instructions and it started playing things from the phone. I don't see. HOME APP on the iphone at all? Thx

Put your thumb in the middle of the home screen and pull down one inch. In the search box that comes up, type “Home”. It’s the one with the orange house on it.

Shifts

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2019
Re: Home app: If you don’t have it installed, App Store is your friend.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Yep, iTunes Match has stopped working on both my HomePods. Have tried resets, turning off personal requests, re-syncing library. Nothing.
This is unbelievably frustrating, Apple need to sort out this recurring issue once and for all.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Yep, iTunes Match has stopped working on both my HomePods. Have tried resets, turning off personal requests, re-syncing library. Nothing.
This is unbelievably frustrating, Apple need to sort out this recurring issue once and for all.

Get Apple Music. It works flawlessly for 70 million people.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Rather dumb comment as it doesn't address the issue whatsoever.

Sure it does.

Your “recurring issue” of bad matching, and thus your HomePod problem, doesn’t exist anymore for those of us on Apple Music.

iTunes Match was always a mess. Apple Music isn’t. It’s not a HomePod problem. At this point it’s a you problem. Switch to the new platform.

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
That's silly. iTunes Match is a current service and the HomePod is advertised as working with iTunes - so of course it should work. Steaming services are great, but not always. I mean, unless this is your favorite part of Apple Music -
Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 12.34.13 PM.png

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
I’m having exactly the same problems. The HomePod won’t find any of my music. This is incredibly frustrating and there’s no obvious fix. It does seem as if they have deliberately disabled support for iTunes Match.

Please no glib comments about “well you should have Apple Music”. No way am I paying a monthly sub to access my own music.

I really despair about Apples QC these days or lack of it. Siri is a joke on the HomePod anyway, invariably playing the wrong stuff.

Reactions: Squuiid

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Please no glib comments about “well you should have Apple Music”. No way am I paying a monthly sub to access my own music.

Siri is a joke on the HomePod anyway, invariably playing the wrong stuff.

iTunes Match is $25 per year.

On my Apple Music family plan, I pay $30 per year.

That’s not glib. Just fact. Avoiding Match and paying the $5 a year difference for Apple Music solved my personal library issue. Replacing my cable modem router with a mesh router solved my Siri problem. New technology; who would have thought.

Last edited:

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
On my Apple Music family plan, I pay $30 per year.
lol, no. Apple Music is $15 a month for a family plan. Even the individual student discount is $60 a year.

Also, with Apple Music you don’t avoid Match, it’s just included with it. Older iTunes files remain in your library and playlists even after you subscribe, so that’s not really a good solution for people with large existing libraries.

Last edited:

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
How exactly are you getting music for $30. And please don’t claim it’s $180/6 as per your rather vulgar signature...

Reactions: Squuiid

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
lol, no. Apple Music is $15 a month for a family plan. Even the individual student discount is $60 a year.

LOL, yes.

$15 a month divided by 6 people in my family equals $2.50 per person per month or $30 per person per year. That's the entire point of the family plan; it brings the price per person down to a level that no one should find disagreeable.

Also, with Apple Music you don’t avoid Match, it’s just included with it.

Match and Apple Music are different products. If you think that's just semantics, I can tell you with authority there is something about Match on its own that frustrates millions of people and something about the matching service inside of Apple Music that thrills millions of people. Software is intricate, there are surely differences leading to stability. Something's going on for Apple Music people that has us happy as a clam and Match people who have been raging since 2011.

Older iTunes files remain in your library and playlists even after you subscribe, so that’s not really a good solution for people with large existing libraries.

I've got a large existing library with thousands of boots, live shows, outtakes, pressings, and imports that I have uploaded into Apple Music's cloud living side by side with the 50 million songs that Apple has on the platform and it's made my life infinitely easier and I have had no issues of songs disappearing, wrong album art, songs overwritten, etc. Apple Music is fantastic and HomePod is its greatest accessory. Those holding on to Match to save a few bucks need to rethink their priorities.

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Ah, well there's your problem Duncan, not enough children.

I don't know why Apple hasn't swept up botjames yet to run their support desk. They probably don't even realize that everyone's problems can be fixed with a few kids and a new router.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Ah, well there's your problem Duncan, not enough children.

I did not say anyone needed to follow my lead; I merely pointed out that for millions of us, Apple Music isn't $10 a month. It costs me $2.50. Regardless, if he's alone on his subscription, the delta between the messy Match and the buttoned-down Apple Music is $7.99 a month. That's less money than a cup of coffee and a donut. We're not talking about a lot of money. You get what you pay for.

I don't know why Apple hasn't swept up botjames yet to run their support desk. They probably don't even realize that everyone's problems can be fixed with a few kids and a new router.

"Family" sharing isn't limited to you and your kids. If you've got a brothers, some cousins, and a few uncles, there you go, $2.50 a month for 50 million songs and 100,000 song uploads.

Most Siri problems are caused by poor wi-fi. Most library problems are caused by Match. For a bunch of college educated well-to-do's, its amazing how stubborn they are.

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
Its absolutely hilarious to read the above explanation of the price per month. Completely delusional.

I reset the downstairs HomePods and eventually it deigned to acknowledge my music.

Some of us college-educated well to do's have a robust ethernet infrastructure in the house with airport expresses at strategic points giving us a good wifi signal anywhere in the house...

Might I venture to add that most Siri problems are caused by it being a dreadfully primitive interface, completely unable to process anything other than an incredibly rigid syntax or understand a clear English voice

I also find it cringing that you have to say "Hey Siri" to access it rather than being able to nominate your own trigger phrase.

No Englishman would ever use the expression "Hey" without dying inside of rightful embarassment!

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Its absolutely hilarious to read the above explanation of the price per month. Completely delusional.

I pay $2.50 per month for Apple Music. My wife and kids play $2.50 a month as well. That’s how division works.

You could buy your way out of your iTunes Match problem for the price of a jar of a decent tomato sauce if you chose to. That’s not Apple’s fault; that’s yours.

Some of us college-educated well to do's have a robust ethernet infrastructure in the house with airport expresses at strategic points giving us a good wifi signal anywhere in the house

Airport Express is 16 year old technology created by a division of Apple disbanded 4 years ago. You may have a strong signal but you don’t have good Wi-Fi. That’s not Apple’s fault; that’s yours.

Might I venture to add that most Siri problems are caused by it being a dreadfully primitive interface, completely unable to process anything other than an incredibly rigid syntax or understand a clear English voice

If one takes the time to educate ones self on the handful of critical Siri commands one finds the experience excellent.

The problem isn’t HomePod’s “rigidity”, it’s yours. You are using 9 year old source material/data (iTunes Match) on a 16 year old network protocol (Airport Express) with a modern speaker (HomePod) and you refuse to listen to good advice from someone who had all those devices/platforms and has your solution:

MESH + Apple Music + Siri Education

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
I pay $2.50 per month for Apple Music. My wife and kids play $2.50 a month as well. That’s how division works.

You could buy your way out of your iTunes Match problem for the price of a jar of a decent tomato sauce if you chose to. That’s not Apple’s fault; that’s yours.

Airport Express is 16 year old technology created by a division of Apple disbanded 4 years ago. You may have a strong signal but you don’t have good Wi-Fi. That’s not Apple’s fault; that’s yours.

If one takes the time to educate ones self on the handful of critical Siri commands one finds the experience excellent.

The problem isn’t HomePod’s “rigidity”, it’s yours. You are using 9 year old source material/data (iTunes Match) on a 16 year old network protocol (Airport Express) with a modern speaker (HomePod) and you refuse to listen to good advice from someone who had all those devices/platforms and has your solution:

MESH + Apple Music + Siri Education
Every one of these retorts is laughable. There is nothing wrong with the Airport Express, indeed Apple released firmware for it not too long ago enabling Airplay 2.
Seriously, go bother someone else in another thread, preferably on another forum. You clearly have nothing to contribute here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duncan-UK

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
I'm picturing a man sitting behind his desk, Apple merchandise artfully displayed behind him (price tags attached), a mesh router gleaming under a spotlight to his left, while his children shuffle in one by one in after a long day at the mines to pay daddy his $2.50 for their share of his music subscription.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.