Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
This is all very interesting. I solved the Apple TV quality drops and buffering issues when the Homepods were set as its default audio output by hardwiring it to my router.

However, I recently noticed, like you said, that having the Homepods set as the default output of the Apple TV also degrades the performances of the rest of the devices that connect to my network wirelessly, even when the apple tv is sleeping. (!!!)

I have resorted to make the Homepods the default output of the ATV only when I´m going to use it, and to revert back to my internal tv speakers at the end of each session.

This, of course, entirely defeats the purpose of the feature itself. Terrible. Apple needs to solve this ASAP, and its been a huge problem since the introduction of the Home Theater feature with the 14.2 firmware.
I wouldn’t go so far as to say it defeats the purpose of the feature. It’s a minor inconvenience that will hopefully be patched in a future update if possible, in exchange for an incredible extra use out of our for now discountinued OG homepods.

Reactions: B/D

B/D

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
It appears that the issue is still present in Homepod/TV OS 14.5...

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
It appears that the issue is still present in Homepod/TV OS 14.5...
Maybe it isn’t an issue as much as it is a reality of what the homepod in stereo offers when used in this way?
Regardless, I will update this thread with my own results on the 21st when the new appletv comes in.

I have a brand new Linksys Velop Wifi 6 mesh router, new cat 8 Ethernet cord, new everything, so it will be interesting to see how my speed is affected. Though I’m only at 90 Mbps downstream anyway, so small fry compared to the numbers in this thread.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
Maybe it isn’t an issue as much as it is a reality of what the homepod in stereo offers when used in this way?
Regardless, I will update this thread with my own results on the 21st when the new appletv comes in.

I have a brand new Linksys Velop Wifi 6 mesh router, new cat 8 Ethernet cord, new everything, so it will be interesting to see how my speed is affected. Though I’m only at 90 Mbps downstream anyway, so small fry compared to the numbers in this thread.

I guess you´re right. Perhaps the feature (surround sound with the homepods) is just too taxing on the network. I think that if you´re planning to use this, hardwiring your apple tv (as I ended up doing) is imperative, or at least very recommended.

Reactions: MrMacintoshIII

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
I guess you´re right. Perhaps the feature (surround sound with the homepods) is just too taxing on the network. I think that if you´re planning to use this, hardwiring your apple tv (as I ended up doing) is imperative, or at least very recommended.
Yes, I won’t even be trying without hardwiring it. Luckily my home arrangement allows for a 50 foot Ethernet cord to be snaked around in such a way that it doesn’t create a tripping hazard.

Anonymous123

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
Anyone find out if the WiFi issue is still present with the new Apple TV released today?
FYI I purchased the new Apple TV. It’s connected to the internet via WiFi so no Ethernet cable used. Currently using it with HomePods as a stereo pair via ARC and there is no issue with WiFi speeds.

Anonymous123

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
Did you have issues on your network with a previous Apple TV?
I didn’t, but I also didn’t use the HomePods stereo pair at the time. The WiFi issue was the reason I held out on getting them. Now that I have everything set up I’m glad to report I haven’t experienced any WiFi issues.

Brad Smith

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2003
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I didn’t, but I also didn’t use the HomePods stereo pair at the time. The WiFi issue was the reason I held out on getting them. Now that I have everything set up I’m glad to report I haven’t experienced any WiFi issues.
What I'm starting to gather is it has a lot to do with the configuration and type of WiFi network. The "default" white trash can router that TELUS here in Canada provides seems to contribute to issues that I don't experience on other routers. Still trying to figure that out...

Einkoro

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
Canada
If the AppleTV and HomePods are using an ad-hoc network when set as the default output device for HT has anyone experiencing issues here tried doing RF scans of the spectrum?

If the ad-hoc network overlaps with any existing channels in use it would likely explain the performance degradation some users are encountering. The more crowded the spectrum the worse it should be.

I would hope DFS frequencies are supported and ideally it’s using 20mhz channels for this to avoid overlap the best it can.

Brad Smith

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2003
Vancouver, BC, Canada
If the AppleTV and HomePods are using an ad-hoc network when set as the default output device for HT has anyone experiencing issues here tried doing RF scans of the spectrum?

If the ad-hoc network overlaps with any existing channels in use it would likely explain the performance degradation some users are encountering. The more crowded the spectrum the worse it should be.

I would hope DFS frequencies are supported and ideally it’s using 20mhz channels for this to avoid overlap the best it can.
Are they using an ad-hoc network? I guess I haven't seen any documentation of how that feature works specifically.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
Are they using an ad-hoc network? I guess I haven't seen any documentation of how that feature works specifically.

Yes, at least going by what apple support told me. No official documentation explaining this exists, sadly.

Knar

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2016
Australia
Yes the new 4K works for me. all audio standard playing through homepods, including TV audio via hdmi return audio channel. Good stuff!

Einkoro

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
Canada
Yes, at least going by what apple support told me. No official documentation explaining this exists, sadly.
I just got around to setting mine back up and it does appear to be adhoc with no SSID specified but it consistently picks the same channel as the nearest AP the iPhone that set it up is on. Many reboots of both the pair of HomePods and AppleTV and consistent so far.

It’s significant enough my unifi controller shows it as interference hogging a good chunk of the channel. Zero competing networks around so plenty of spectrum available it just doesn’t want to use.

Would be interesting to see if anyone else encounters the same channel selection behaviour. Easiest way to scan is using airport utility on iOS and selecting wifi scan at the top right.

Brad Smith

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2003
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I just got around to setting mine back up and it does appear to be adhoc with no SSID specified but it consistently picks the same channel as the nearest AP the iPhone that set it up is on. Many reboots of both the pair of HomePods and AppleTV and consistent so far.

It’s significant enough my unifi controller shows it as interference hogging a good chunk of the channel. Zero competing networks around so plenty of spectrum available it just doesn’t want to use.

Would be interesting to see if anyone else encounters the same channel selection behaviour. Easiest way to scan is using airport utility on iOS and selecting wifi scan at the top right.
I just upgraded to a UniFi Dream Machine Pro and a U6-Lite access point, and still having the issue with the HomePods. Now I'm starting to more fully understand why. Wish I knew how to solve it.

Einkoro

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
Canada
I just upgraded to a UniFi Dream Machine Pro and a U6-Lite access point, and still having the issue with the HomePods. Now I'm starting to more fully understand why. Wish I knew how to solve it.
If you do a scan while playing audio on the AppleTV to HomePods do you see it on the same channel? Or lots of interference on the AP’s 5ghz channel in the controller only when playing?

If it’s consistently doing it for both of us it would be useful for filing a bug report with Apple.

Brad Smith

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2003
Vancouver, BC, Canada
If you do a scan while playing audio on the AppleTV to HomePods do you see it on the same channel? Or lots of interference on the AP’s 5ghz channel in the controller only when playing?

If it’s consistently doing it for both of us it would be useful for filing a bug report with Apple.
Not sure. I'll try and troubleshoot and scan when I have a little more free time than I do today. Probably tomorrow night. I also *just* installed the Ubiquiti stuff this weekend, so I'm still fairly new to it all!

Einkoro

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
Canada
Not sure. I'll try and troubleshoot and scan when I have a little more free time than I do today. Probably tomorrow night. I also *just* installed the Ubiquiti stuff this weekend, so I'm still fairly new to it all!
Apparently the U-NII-3 spectrum (149-165 @ 20MHz, 151 & 159 @ 40MHz, or 155 @ 80MHz) is also used for wireless home theater equipment. I wonder if Apple is just following the WiSA standards for it.

Edit:
It looks like you’d have to rely on the interference and spectrum scanning in unifi to make a best guess. After further prodding the hidden SSID I was picking up with Airport’s scanner ended up being the new TCL TV which apparently keeps broadcasting on the same channel interfering with both the HomePods and AppleTV even after disabling wifi and device connect on it.

Makes me wonder if others experiencing severe problems might just have some other device being a jerk or plain ol’ crowded spectrum.

Last edited:

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
Fixed this with the help of Apple support!. Finally! It turns out that Homepod (s) ARE particularly finicky when it comes to wifi. A strong, fast and reliable connection is absolutely necessary for the speaker to work correctly.

With the release of ios 14.2, this has become even more important because a new, directly, ad hoc connection is now possible between an Apple TV 4K and the Homepods has been developed, that allows to route ALL apple tv audio to the homepods, bypassing airplay 2 limitations (ie 2.0 audio channels max, ZERO latency with games and live content), and allow the Homepods to virtualize 5.1, 7.1, and Dolby Atmos (BTW, I was WRONG. If you choose the HP from the ATV control center you are using a regular airplay link, which only support stereo.)

Even though regular stereo sound has been very much improved as well in 14.2, the only way to truly get surround sound is to choose the Homepod (s) as the default speakers, which is NOT airplay, but this new ad hoc, improved protocol between an Apple TV 4K and Homepod (s).

This new protocol is much more taxing on the internet conection than regular Airplay, because it transport so much data in real time. To avoid speed and buffering issues, if you are going to use wifi, you must use a strong, fast 5GHZ AC connection, both in the Apple TV AND in your linked Homepod (s) (this last part was my problem). If you cant achieve that, you must hardwire your ATV. Wifi N wont work even if the speed is enough.

To make sure everything is set up properly, create a separate SSID on your router for the 5GHZ band, and connect your Apple TV to it. Now connect to it the Iphone/Ipad that you used to set up the Homepod (s). Factory reset them and pair them back (if you´re using a stereo pair), with that IOS device connected to the 5GHZ band. This way, your Homepod (s), will use the 5GHZ band to connect to the internet going forward.

Thats it. Set them as the default speakers of the ATV again and run a speed test on the ATV. Your speed should be good now.
Good stuff. When reading about your problem I wondered why I never experienced any of your issues. My ATV4K is hardwired ethernet which I did shortly after getting the ATV. It is in an alcove in the wall behind my TV and the wifi signal is weak back there so I figured hardwiring was the obvious first step to resolve it. Of course, that isn't an option for everyone if the wiring isn't in place but I recommend it for those who are able to do it.

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
Now the only thing missing to make this feature work perfect is this: currently when stereo homepods are set default to Apple TV the homepods no longer work as standalone, meaning that if you want to airplay music from an iphone or mac to homepods you have to airplay it to Apple TV instead and that turns on the Apple TV as well.

The ideal behavior would be that when you turn on the ATV it automatically sets the homepods as the default audio output, and when you put it to sleep it detach them and revert to your TV speakers.

Sure, you can switch back to your TV speakers as default audio output when you finish using the ATV manually, but it should be automatic.
My ATV is not on when using the HomePods for music. That said, I think it is still involved in streaming to the HomePods even though it seems to be off. If so, why would it matter? The HomePods function in the same way as if the ATV wasn't present.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
mine is not on either anymore when using the homepods for music after putting the apple tv to sleep. However the applpe music app is still in charge of the playback.

Which matters because to me, the sound quality when the apple tv music app handles the playback is sightly worse than when the homepods play hte music independently. Other than that, does not matter at all.

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
Why would that be? Is there a difference in the bitstream to the Pods in each case? Difficult to do an A/B comparison but they sound fine to me.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
Why would that be? Is there a difference in the bitstream to the Pods in each case? Difficult to do an A/B comparison but they sound fine to me.

No idea. Maybe the Apple TV resampling everything to 48khz has something to do with it. Is subtle, but it bothers me.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
Thought I’d post here and see if anyone knows

I have an Amplifi wifi 6 alien router

I’m on a 1Gb/sec fibre

I have 2 minis in the room and 2 OGs in the hall (where the router is) connected as stereo pairs

With all the HomePods off I get 930mb/sec over wifi. In the room I get 880mb/sec

I enabled the OG homepods and the speed over wifi goes down to 800mb/sec.

I enabled the homepod minis and the speed drops to 750mb/sec

I’ve tried everything from separating them and turning them on 1 at a time.

Unfortunately it’s the same effect.

My router reports hardly any usage from the HomePods in standby. A few kB/sec. A wired Speedtest also remains the same

So what gives.

Are these HomePods creating a wifi ad boc so strong it’s causing interference?

Apart from trying dfs channels I get the same result on all wifi 5Ghz channels

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.