Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I have to say I didn't really enjoy the time jump. Felt like we are starting the show over in some ways. 4 episodes left to do something special.

Reactions: cthompson94

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I have to say I didn't really enjoy the time jump. Felt like we are starting the show over in some ways. 4 episodes left to do something special.
Yes! When I started the episode and quickly realized that a rather big (10 years I believe) jump happened I was quite upset. It isn't necessarily the jump itself, but how it went about without any sort of heads up.

Since the thread title already has *Spoilers*

I get that they must be playing the long game or doing some sort of plot twist, but I personally do not like the way they are going about Rhaenyra. I was loving her build up at the beginning of the show with her being different and not liking the "norm" and her best friend then preceding to follow the "norm" after it is in her interest. I guess I will have to see what ends up happening and seeing if Rhaenyra goes back to herself, because between this time jump and change of character I don't know how much longer I will watch the show.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I was ok with the time-jump, generally speaking.
The funny thing was that some had aged and some not at all 😂
as in Ser Criston - no aging there

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I get that they must be playing the long game or doing some sort of plot twist, but I personally do not like the way they are going about Rhaenyra.

I feel the same way. I've had a hard time enjoying the characters on quite the same level as GoT, but at least Rhaenyra was interesting. The time shift itself didn't bother me much, but I really hope we see something more from Rhaenyra than what we got from this last episode.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I feel the same way. I've had a hard time enjoying the characters on quite the same level as GoT, but at least Rhaenyra was interesting. The time shift itself didn't bother me much, but I really hope we see something more from Rhaenyra than what we got from this last episode.
Exactly! Honestly with the time jump to the ages that they are supposed to represent now, we would have been better off with flashbacks highlighting the feelings towards each other rather than build up so much then just jump 10 years with (so far) not really any idea what happened. So now we are basically playing catch-up and fill in the blank when we would be doing that anyway if they just went the flashback route or maybe one episode dedicated to being a flashback explaining the main points.

Reactions: dmr727

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Consider:
  • The King (blond), the Queen (brunette)
  • King’s kids blond.
  • Rhaenyra (blond) and Husband (blond), Her boyfriend (brunette) accused/actual father.
  • Rhaenyra’s kids brunette so far…
I understand this emphasis on hair color as it played a role in the previous series, but males don’t genetically control hair color in offspring do they? Maybe everyone in GoT thinks they do?

Beside that, the leap ahead 10 years is only something you would see in a 10 episode season, short changed again. A book would never do this, at least I don’t think so. ;)

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Consider:
  • King’s kids blond.
  • Rhaenyra (blond) and Husband (blond), Her boyfriend (brunette) accused/actual father.
I understand this emphasis on hair color as it played a role in the previous series, but males don’t genetically control hair color in offspring do they? Maybe everyone in GoT thinks they do?

Beside that, the leap ahead 10 years is only something you would see in a 10 episode season, short changed again. A book would never do this, at least I don’t think so. ;)
I remember reading somewhere that GRRM said in his world, dark or black hair is genetically dominant and blonde is recessive.

But also, in the books, I believe the Hightowers have silver/blonde hair.

Reactions: Huntn

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Consider:
  • King’s kids blond.

I wouldn't be surprised they were only budgeted or it was only supposed to be one season and based off the reviews and viewership of the series, a second season was given the green light.

I can think of a couple of books that have time jumps in there, they weren't ten years worth of jumps, but one was a few years... I haven't read any of the GOT books so I don't know if they do or not. It doesn't sound like it from your comment.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I wouldn't be surprised they were only budgeted or it was only supposed to be one season and based off the reviews and viewership of the series, a second season was given the green light.

I can think of a couple of books that have time jumps in there, they weren't ten years worth of jumps, but one was a few years... I haven't read any of the GOT books so I don't know if they do or not. It doesn't sound like it from your comment.
No time jumps in GOT and the books were nice and fat. A time jump can work, let’s say they want to show what led up to something else, we frequently try see this in movies, frequently shown as a flashback, but what happened in this show feels like it was just warming up and then a tme jump, which gives me dejavu to the GOT show which felt more like an outline line when compared to the books. As good as HBO‘s GOT was, it still felt short changed, combined with that horrible final. 🤢

For HoD, it feels to me with just 10 episodes to play with, that not enough happened to have wasted half the season with a prequel. 🤔

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
No time jumps in GOT and the books were nice and fat. A time jump can work, let’s say they want to show what led up to something else, we frequently try see this in movies, frequently shown as a flashback, but what happened in this show feels like it was just warming up and then a tme jump, which gives me dejavu to the GOT show which felt more like an outline line when compared to the books. As good as HBO‘s GOT was, it still felt short changed, combined with that horrible final. 🤢

For HoD, it feels to me with just 10 episodes to play with, that not enough happened to have wasted half the season with a prequel. 🤔

I have a feeling they, being the show runners, felt it wasn't enough either, hence the time jump. I wonder if they knew they would be getting two seasons upfront, if the time jump would have happened. They could have played out this season with all of the characters and the time jump could have occurred at the start of season two.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Driftmark Episode 7- Some significant events yet the story felt like it dragged to me. I’m not yet vested. :)

What... this was a great episode! We are on board! Can't wait to see the warring (even if it is the of the word kind) between ALL of the families. I have a feeling we are going to lose one or more of the characters by the end of the season!

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I enjoyed it too! I hate that I can barely see what's happening though, even with my screen at full brightness. Reminds me of that GoT Long Night episode.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I enjoyed it too! I hate that I can barely see what's happening though, even with my screen at full brightness. Reminds me of that GoT Long Night episode.
I noticed it was dark but I didn’t lose much/any detail in my picture. Made me feel good about my calibration settings.

The Long Night was almost unwatchable for me. Had to rewatch on my iPhone that had an OLED screen. Though it was better when it finally released in 4K HDR years later.

Last edited:

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I noticed it was dark but I didn’t lose much/any detail in my picture. Made me feel good about my calibration settings.

The Long Night was almost unwatchable for me. Had to rewatch on my iPhone that had an OLED screen. Though it was better when it finally released in 4K HDR years later.

Oddly, this episode was filmed in broad daylight, and then a filter was applied over it. The Long Night was filmed at night. That probably makes a big difference in the way lighting was applied to actors’ faces.

That scene with Rhaenyra and Daemon on the beach, I couldn't make out any faces or expressions. Just two black outlines walking along.

9469b6f81dbbdb6c068dca20f5e9bde1.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Just watched tonight’s latest episode. Have to say how sharp is Damien’s sword? Razor sharp. Also the special effects for the ageing king we’re superb. He really looked at deaths door.
However shouldn’t Damian be getting a bit older?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.