Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
Just watched tonight’s latest episode. Have to say how sharp is Damien’s sword? Razor sharp. Also the special effects for the ageing king we’re superb. He really looked at deaths door.
However shouldn’t Damian be getting a bit older?

He's a Time Lord and Time Lords age really really well! 😂 Also, it might be a DYAC on your end but it's spelled Daemon.

And I have to say that Paddy Considine served up a master class in acting for his final episode. His whole season, really.

Reactions: Lasrjock and Huntn

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
This moment was everything.

Damian crowns Viserys_PT.jpg

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Well Rhaenys definitely rang her bell. Good on the show runners giving Eve Best her penultimate due moment.
Anyone know how bad dragon halitosis breath is? My guess is it's on the far side of heinous.

Reactions: usr0

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Liked the build up to the final scene. But how did it go from you can’t go get your dragon they will be looking for you, to yup plenty of time. Put your armour on. Saddle her up. Away you go.
All that running around flea bottom dragged on a bit.
Next episode should be good!

Reactions: Huntn

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Liked the build up to the final scene. But how did it go from you can’t go get your dragon they will be looking for you, to yup plenty of time. Put your armour on. Saddle her up. Away you go.
I don’t think Erryk knew the entire city was going to the dragon pit.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes, but she just wanna show who had the power in the realm - The Dragons.
Next ep will be very interesting, wonder who will return?
Understood, but these people are obviously a huge threat, and it seemed such an efficient solution, except maybe Rhaenys did not think Queen Hightower deserved this fate. But also note, it would have been over instead of a battle next episode, but here we have decisions made by writers who want to try to thrill the audience. 🤔

Everyone runs out of the Dragon Pit, except for the king and his gang -- including the queen, the hand and Ser Criston. Rhaenys and her enormous dragon approach them. She could burn them alive, and teases doing so by making Meleys let off a huge roar.

But instead of killing them, Rhaenys scoffs and flies away -- to Dragonstone, to alert Rhaenyra so that she can start mounting forces in the fight for the throne.

…there did not have to be a fight, so this choice does not make sense to me.

Reactions: Lioness~

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Like mnsportsgeek said, I don't think it was known that everyone was going to the dragons pit, there is that scene that goes over to her and she has a look of joy before making her way towards the dragons kind of hinting/confirming where the scene was taking place.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Understood, but these people are obviously a huge threat, and it seemed such an efficient solution, except maybe Rhaenys did not think Queen Hightower deserved this fate. But also note, it would have been over instead of a battle next episode, but here we have decisions made by writers who want to try to thrill the audience. 🤔

Everyone runs out of the Dragon Pit, except for the king and his gang -- including the queen, the hand and Ser Criston. Rhaenys and her enormous dragon approach them. She could burn them alive, and teases doing so by making Meleys let off a huge roar.

But instead of killing them, Rhaenys scoffs and flies away -- to Dragonstone, to alert Rhaenyra so that she can start mounting forces in the fight for the throne.

…there did not have to be a fight, so this choice does not make sense to me.
Rhaenys actions just solidifies her character, remember she was supposed to be Queen and she is always living and being reminded of what could have been and she always replies and basically shows that she accepts it and "she knows her place" if you will. She didn't feel that doing what she could have was her thing to do and her fight and that it is up to Rhaenyra to make the decision on what to do and how to do it.

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Eve Best expounded on why Rhaenys makes the choice not torch the Greens as per her EW Interview:

"It's the pinnacle," Best says, expounding on this sequence. "It's the moment when she shows herself to be the greatest possible ruler. It was the most outrageous and explosive action of the season. In a way, it's also the most merciful and most graceful act. It's because she's so intelligent and in the end chooses to do the right thing, which is not to destroy. It's a truly forgiving moment and sort of a loving moment, in a weird way. She has all the ammunition, and the desire for revenge is so great. She's suffered so much loss, and for her own sake and on behalf of so many others, the urge to destroy is so strong. And yet the choice not to destroy becomes even stronger. That's the mark of greatness and [a] truly inspiring moment"

She also explained why she had the armor:

"She's packed it," Best notes of Rhaenys' battle attire. "She's traveled to King's Landing with it because it's part of her dragon-riding equipment. Also, probably in that moment of knowledge in episode 8, she's flying into tricky waters... She hasn't worn it for a very, very, very long time and the fact that she's wearing it means business. It's like, 'This is it. No more games.'"

I had a feeling the beast under the boards meant a dragon. But I had no clue it would erupt when and where it did. Talk about a penultimate moment. It literally made me sit up from where I was laying on the sofa. I didn't want to miss one nanosecond of that interaction.

Really looking forward to the finale but also sad it's coming to an end. Two years is a long wait for season 2. 😐

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Eve Best expounded on why Rhaenys makes the choice not torch the Greens as per her EW Interview:

She also explained why she had the armor:

I had a feeling the beast under the boards meant a dragon. But I had no clue it would erupt when and where it did. Talk about a penultimate moment. It literally made me sit up from where I was laying on the sofa. I didn't want to miss one nanosecond of that interaction.

Really looking forward to the finale but also sad it's coming to an end. Two years is a long wait for season 2. 😐
That is one perspective/excuse. ;) I’ve told my wife on many occasions watching Kings operate, that hanging out at court is playing with fire. Do you like playing with fire? :D

The Hand Hightower has been maneuvering forever to install his grandson to the throne, we can all understand this, yet it all boils down to your sympathies, who do you like best?

I don’t like him, most likely by design, he has been murdering anyone from allied houses who says no or gets in his way. The Queen seems ultimately to be a decent person, The King really confused things at his dieing moment, she seems to be convinced about what she heard. Everyone else unlike the audience views this as nothing more than a blatant power grab.

That said, I like Rhaenys and from her perspective does she love these usurpers? Maybe, maybe she hopes to sue for peace while kicking the Hightowers out of Kings Landing. However, to weigh the possible cost in human life, if you are convinced these are murderous usurper and know a war is coming, it would make complete sense to have torched them and save yourself and your family a lot of grief.

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
That is one perspective/excuse. ;)
Nah. She was being true to who she is. ;)

The Queen seems ultimately to be a decent person
Agree to disagree. Her holier than though attitude towards Rhaenyra when Alicent herself supports psychos like Krispy Kreme and of course, her part in supporting Lary's foot fetish (ewww!) all while presenting herself as a seven star saint.....nope. It definitely does not work for me. 😜

That scene between Larys & Alicent. Hard pass.

Larys Alicent foot scene_PT.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: J.J. Sefton

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Agree to disagree. Her holier than though attitude towards Rhaenyra when Alicent herself supports psychos like Krispy Kreme and of course, her part in supporting Lary's foot fetish (ewww!) all while presenting herself as a seven star saint.....nope. It definitely does not work for me. 😜

View attachment 2097851
Hey the Queen is human, she has hopes and dreams for her kids, she has empathy for others, she unhappily accepted decisions that disappointed her. I see nothing inherently evil in her. But it’s ok if we disagree. :)

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Hey the Queen is human, she has hopes and dreams for her kids, she has empathy for others, she unhappily accepted decisions that disappointed her. I see nothing inherently evil in her. But it’s ok if we disagree. :)
Completely understand. I just can't stand Alicent due to her support of Ser Criston & the murderous Larys.
As you said, it's all good if we disagree. :)

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal

View attachment 2097851
Yeah I think she would have been a pretty good Queen if it wasn't for outside influences. You have her father who was one of the only people she felt was trustworthy (not to mention his long time serving the King) telling her basically to either kiss ass or take charge and look out for you. When the King passes and gets support for what she said at the table at first she seemed surprised then the opportunity of looking out for her and her own all started coming together in her head. She doesn't want to loose her a drop of her status and enjoys having a say in calling the shots as you can look back at previous episodes of her talking to the King and him just going with what he wants.

She had the making of being a good Queen, but her father planted the seed of her attitude now IMO.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Great episode this week. Can't believe this season is already coming to an end...

Someone needs to rein Criston Cole in. If there's anyone I want to see gone now, it's him, followed by Otto Hightower and Larys in a distant third. Good grief.

The foot fetish scene was unexpected, to say the least. I do think Alicent knew what she was doing though. Her payment for his information. Doesn't seem like it was the first time she's had to, uh... feed the rat. And it probably won't be the last.

I do feel a little bad for her though. She's playing a game she never really wanted to play, and being forced to make moves she doesn't want to make.
qmovweqdo8s91.jpg

The scene with Rhaenys on Meleys.. Part of me would've been so satisfied to see the greens blown away. But it would've been out of character for her, I think. She hasn't seen anything from them yet that warrants their deaths (aside from Aemond stealing Vhagar). And besides, they're her cousin's kids.

One thing I really don't understand is the dragon pit.
First of all, Rhaenys can just enter with the general public, run down there unseen, and mount a dragon? No guards?
Second, the ceiling isn't strong enough to prevent dragons breaking through and escaping? Did any other dragons escape thru the opening? And was this really the easiest way for her to exit the building?
Third, I don't understand why they'd hold a coronation (or any gathering for that matter) above the dragon pit. It's like building Westminster Abbey over a nuclear silo.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Great episode this week. Can't believe this season is already coming to an end...

Someone needs to rein Criston Cole in. If there's anyone I want to see gone now, it's him, followed by Otto Hightower and Larys in a distant third. Good grief.

The foot fetish scene was unexpected, to say the least. I do think Alicent knew what she was doing though. Her payment for his information. Doesn't seem like it was the first time she's had to, uh... feed the rat. And it probably won't be the last.

I do feel a little bad for her though. She's playing a game she never really wanted to play, and being forced to make moves she doesn't want to make.
qmovweqdo8s91.jpg

The scene with Rhaenys on Meleys.. Part of me would've been so satisfied to see the greens blown away. But it would've been out of character for her, I think. She hasn't seen anything from them yet that warrants their deaths (aside from Aemond stealing Vhagar). And besides, they're her cousin's kids.

One thing I really don't understand is the dragon pit.
First of all, Rhaenys can just enter with the general public, run down there unseen, and mount a dragon? No guards?
Second, the ceiling isn't strong enough to prevent dragons breaking through and escaping? Did any other dragons escape thru the opening? And was this really the easiest way for her to exit the building?
Third, I don't understand why they'd hold a coronation (or any gathering for that matter) above the dragon pit. It's like building Westminster Abbey over a nuclear silo.
I’m guessing the coronation location is to remind the people of the source of their power? Not sure the dragons want to escape. They are quite happy with their lives of servitude (although not sure why!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.