Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I'm really enjoying the series, but is anybody else getting confused with the sudden time jumps, often years at a time in which the characters are played by different actors?

I’m guessing the coronation location is to remind the people of the source of their power? Not sure the dragons want to escape. They are quite happy with their lives of servitude (although not sure why!).

An endless supply of domesticated sheep... adds a whole new dimension to BBQing. :oops:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Although the visuals and sets are excellent I am finding the new series almost boring.

1. Original series had an external threat that ran through the series. There was a common evil which all parties would eventually have to confront for the greater good. This meant there was constant suspense as to how current events will affect it, when will it come, what will happen.

2. This series so far is like scurring rats moving from prey to prey. Who is going to rule this kingdom? Who is going to be king? Personally so far I couldn't care less.

3. Haven't found one sympathetic or good character yet, although she may have appeared in episode 9. The queen might be relatively good, but I really don't care who gets to be King/Queen. It mattered in the first series since it would affect the threats from behind the wall.

Reactions: Huntn

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Although the visuals and sets are excellent I am finding the new series almost boring.

1. Original series had an external threat that ran through the series. There was a common evil which all parties would eventually have to confront for the greater good. This meant there was constant suspense as to how current events will affect it, when will it come, what will happen.

2. This series so far is like scurring rats moving from prey to prey. Who is going to rule this kingdom? Who is going to be king? Personally so far I couldn't care less.

3. Haven't found one sympathetic or good character yet, although she may have appeared in episode 9. The queen might be relatively good, but I really don't care who gets to be King/Queen. It mattered in the first series since it would affect the threats from behind the wall.
Did it? Cersei was 'queen' when they defeated the White Walkers. The threat was gone by the time they crowned the actual king.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Did it? Cersei was 'queen' when they defeated the White Walkers. The threat was gone by the time they crowned the actual king.

Don't follow. The defeat of the white walkers and the final crowning occurred in the last episodes so the suspense went on to the very end ending when they finally decided on who would rule.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Don't follow. The defeat of the white walkers and the final crowning occurred in the last episodes so the suspense went on to the very end ending when they finally decided on who would rule.

The defeat of the White Walkers took place in Episode 3 of season 8 and not the last episode and had nothing to do with who was on the throne which was Cersei at the time . Did you even watch it? Your replies aren't making much sense.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Completed season 1, I’m vested in the story based on the game of thrones ecosystem, pacing, intrigue, and getting familiar with the cast of players. The first season sets up the Dance of Dragons.

Reactions: VulchR

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Completed season 1, I’m vested in the story based on the game of thrones ecosystem, pacing, intrigue, and getting familiar with the cast of players. The first season sets up the Dance of Dragons.
I enjoyed the finale. Especially the final scenes. I’ll not go into the detail here, but agree it’s been set up nicely for season two.

Reactions: VulchR

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I was finally able to watch the last episode! Loved it and that was a shocker for us. Didn't expect that, but wow! Can't wait for season two!
Something tells me it is going to be violent. Mind you, I foolishly watched GoT re-runs and now know the outcome as a consequence. :(

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Something tells me it is going to be violent. Mind you, I foolishly watched GoT re-runs and now know the outcome as a consequence. :(

You haven't seen the final episode yet to the season yet? I will say, you expect something, but didn't expect what I saw. The scene plays out perfectly IMHO. Between the look, the sound, and the overall feeling that is conveyed in that scene. Good stuff!

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
I enjoyed this series overall but its a different kind of beast (ha!) than Game of Thrones. Much slower moving with less obvious variety in the cast and the characters lacking the 'fun-factor' that GoT had in spades. I could put names to faces for all the characters in GoT starting from episode 1. I still struggle with HotD after finishing it and get all my Aegons, Aemonds and Daemonds mixed up frequently. And no idea offhand what their sisters may be called...

They have some really selective aging going too, adding to the confusion. For example what is the black haired young kingsguard's secret for eternal youth while the women under his watch are wilting away and remain barely recognizable through the years? 🤔

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
I still struggle with HotD after finishing it and get all my Aegons, Aemonds and Daemonds mixed up frequently. And no idea offhand what their sisters may be called...
HA! For the names, here's a handy visual that may help.

houseofthedragons_hbo_1666591435_PT.jpg

They have some really selective aging going too, adding to the confusion. For example what is the black haired young kingsguard's secret for eternal youth while the women under his watch are wilting away and remain barely recognizable through the years? 🤔
I'm convinced Ser Criston and Daemon have portraits stashed in their attics. 😁

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I loved it. I have been looking forward to it for months. Season one was the calm before the storm. It's only going to get crazier from here on out.

• Love
Reactions: shadow puppet

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Last edited:
Reactions: shadow puppet
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.