Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2023
Was reading about the scratched iPhone

Heard some talk about heat dissipation on another thread

Read the leather case “patina” thread

I’d love to see a iPhone with a natural copper body, just copper and glass, let the copper get that beautiful patena, every one would be different, easy to buff back to new if you like with simple polish rag, dissipates heat well too

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I think that’d be sick. Idk why everyone is hating on this idea. He never said “replace all iPhones with copper.” It would be a really cool option and I’d be down to buy one - if you don’t want one, don’t buy one. Problem solved 🤷🏼‍♂️

It's a bad material to build a phone, or anything, with. As stated, it would turn green within a few months, and it's so soft the corner would completely flatten out on the first drop. Thats why brass (zinc+copper) is used for durability instead of copper. Bronze (tin+copper) if it's exposed to weather.

Brass would be a decent material. I think it looks too much like yellow gold, which I can't stand, but it would be durable.

Last edited:

Jarutais

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2020
Copper is a good heat conductor, the heat from your hands alone would make it throttle CPU performance... And also it would pretty much burn your hands while doing CPU intense tasks

Siliconguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2022
Copper is pretty soft, and it tarnishes when exposed to moisture and salt.

Aluminum is fine and apple should just stick to it.
Brass or bronze would be a nice-looking phone, but it would be heavy and prone to tarnishing. There are aluminum-magnesium alloys that might be lighter than whatever aluminum alloy Apple is using now.

Reactions: InvertedGoldfish

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
The tarnish is a feature

I’d rather have a cool looking classic patent than cheap paint wear 🤷‍♂️

Apple doesn't paint their phones..are you talking about the anodizing? That's not even realted to paint.

Either way, plain silver-white aluminum. Light and durable..simple.

Reactions: boss.king

GuyDouche

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2023
Perhaps not pure CU but an alloy combined with MG, to resist oxidation, but then curious of the low density and high chemical reactivity. Then there’s AU.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
In addition to the other good points, a fair % of the population experiences an allergic reaction with prolonged exposure to copper. Stainless steel and titanium are far safer, which is why those metals are often used for implanted medical devices. And while some folks can also get an allergic reaction to aluminum, it's rarer and the oxidation layer prevents it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.