Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2023
Apple doesn't paint their phones..are you talking about the anodizing? That's not even realted to paint.

Either way, plain silver-white aluminum. Light and durable..simple.
aluminum is soft too, and looks cheap when it wears though what ever coating apple uses

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2023
In addition to the other good points, a fair % of the population experiences an allergic reaction with prolonged exposure to copper. Stainless steel and titanium are far safer, which is why those metals are often used for implanted medical devices. And while some folks can also get an allergic reaction to aluminum, it's rarer and the oxidation layer prevents it.

People are allergic to everything now, some tuff love would be good for them, tuffen them up

Can’t even get peanuts on a plane these days 😔

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2023
Bronze would be cool

1699387174791.jpeg

Attachments

• 1699387256867.jpeg
    1699387256867.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 24

DougiePhresh

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
It's a bad material to build a phone, or anything, with. As stated, it would turn green within a few months, and it's so soft the corner would completely flatten out on the first drop. Thats why brass (zinc+copper) is used for durability instead of copper. Bronze (tin+copper) if it's exposed to weather.

Brass would be a decent material. I think it looks too much like yellow gold, which I can't stand, but it would be durable.
Some people like the copper patina, also, as OP mentioned, copper is easy to buff out if you want it shiny. Yes, copper is soft, but it’s not sillyputty soft. You might dent a corner here and there, but just like the titanium iPhones, the structural part of the device would likely still be aluminum.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
The new copper iPhone, costs $2500 and as a bonus it turns a horrific shade of green over time.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
Some people like the copper patina, also, as OP mentioned, copper is easy to buff out if you want it shiny. Yes, copper is soft, but it’s not sillyputty soft. You might dent a corner here and there, but just like the titanium iPhones, the structural part of the device would likely still be aluminum.

You can't directly contact copper and aluminum as it causes galvanic corrosion, unless it was completely oxygen free.

The biggest problem would be that copper stinks... It literally smells really bad.

DougiePhresh

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
You can't directly contact copper and aluminum as it causes galvanic corrosion, unless it was completely oxygen free.

The biggest problem would be that copper stinks... It literally smells really bad.
Okay, fair. I’m not a materials scientist, I didn’t know aluminum and copper react poorly with each other haha. As for the smell - it certainly is a distinct and strong smell. But “bad” is your opinion

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2023
Okay, fair. I’m not a materials scientist, I didn’t know aluminum and copper react poorly with each other haha. As for the smell - it certainly is a distinct and strong smell. But “bad” is your opinion
Strong smell? People are allergic to it?

Humanity is not aging well lol

I have had copper gutters, copper finishing nails, etc never really noticed the smell but I’m not super sensitive

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I guess some of the more delicate people do have iPhones 🤔

Still be a good option, call it the man series, include a pack of jerky, peanuts, real leather case, I’d be first in line 😂

It's just dawned on me that I'm debating health strategies with an @InvertedGoldfish... I'm wondering if the next piece of advice is "keep eating until you can't anymore". 😉

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Aluminum is fine and apple should just stick to it.
I agree, I wish the Pro's had a standard aluminum frame at a lower cost and those who want bling could opt for a more expensive material. Like the Apple Watch used to have.

my phone is always in a case I never see the material its made from on the back or sides. for all I care the back could be plastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.