Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Kinda strange question, but I have an AW on order and was trying to figure out exactly when I was going to wear it. I certainly have ideas such as when I'm working out, casual days, when I need to make sure I don't miss a notification, when my iPhone won't fit in my pocket, etc. but I also have a few other nice watches that I don't want to stop wearing.

So if you have other watches in addition to your AW that you don't want to give up, are you rotating them for times when you don't need notifications on your wrist, wearing your other watches for special occasions, going out or have you pretty much just given up on your other watches for the AW currently?

Dumbinho

macrumors regular
May 10, 2014
I haven't wore my regular watch in years. But if I wanted to. I think I would wear that on a formal occasion. And wear the watch on a daily basis. Especially because on a formal occasion I shouldn't be bothered by notifications and I shouldn't be looking at my phone, emails, text etc.
just my opinion

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
I have a bunch of Gshocks and some nicer formal watches (nothing crazy) but I haven't worn one since I got my apple watch

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
I don't have any uber-heirloom quality watches, but I do have some nice ones (Nomos, Glycine, Oris, some cool Seikos)... As much as I hate to admit it, other than a beater Seiko 5 I wore white-water rafting, I've only worn my apple watch since receiving it on April 24th. I'm seriously considering selling all but the Seiko and the Nomos... it seems silly for them to sit around in a box.

The apple watch is such a useful device for me (I'm a physician... having the notifications on my wrist while seeing patients is invaluable)... the activity tracking is fun and a bit addictive. I love a fine mechanical watch, but utility is clearly winning in this case.

telefono

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
Once you go Apple Watch, you don't go back.

Very Sad! I have some Swiss Made Mechanical Watches and since I got the Apple Watch I haven't worn them.

I'm very happy with the Apple Watch but sad at the same time knowing I'll probably never wear another mechanical watch..........

Chcougar1

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015
I have four other watches including a victorinox officer watch my wife got me as a wedding gift. I will wear the apple watch daily and be "that guy" who wears two watches (the apple and the Swiss army) when we go somewhere nice. People wear fit bits and watches so what not? Lol. Yes I know I will look ridiculous but I don't care.

lmitch6

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
WA
I have two Omegas that haven't been worn since I got my Apple Watch. I had a feeling that would happen too. Time will tell if I start rotating them around.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I have four other watches including a victorinox officer watch my wife got me as a wedding gift. I will wear the apple watch daily and be "that guy" who wears two watches (the apple and the Swiss army) when we go somewhere nice. People wear fit bits and watches so what not? Lol. Yes I know I will look ridiculous but I don't care.

Surely if you care about wearing a nice mechanical watch to nice places, you DO care?

Whats the point of making the effort to wear the nice mechanical watch, if you're going to put it next to an Apple Watch and look rubbish? Kind of negates the point of wearing a nice watch!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Surely if you care about wearing a nice mechanical watch to nice places, you DO care?

Whats the point of making the effort to wear the nice mechanical watch, if you're going to put it next to an Apple Watch and look rubbish? Kind of negates the point of wearing a nice watch!

Exactly. If you're going to look like a tool wearing two watches, it defeats the point of wearing a nice mechanical watch. Pick one or the other.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I found myself leaving the AW behind if I went away for a weekend etc, and did not want the hassle of charging. While the AW was good as a daily wear, if I went out for dinner etc, I would put on the mechanical watch, I figured it would be rude to receive and reply to messages while out for dinner with acquaintances.

If you get into a routine of wearing an AW with the notifications etc, its not something you can rotate. So I can see why some people have not gone back to mechanical watches.

Wsidewarrior07

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
Once you go Apple Watch, you don't go back.

I love the novelty of my Apple watch and as much as I want to wear it every day, it's tough. I have a Citizen EcoDrive BlueAngels edition that I have worn every day for 4 years. It's very tough not to wear it....but I'm trying!

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I love the novelty of my Apple watch and as much as I want to wear it every day, it's tough. I have a Citizen EcoDrive BlueAngels edition that I have worn every day for 4 years. It's very tough not to wear it....but I'm trying!

I have a SkyHawk Red Arrows Titanium I used to wear all the time. Was a 40th present from my (now) Wife. I still prefer it for more formal environments.

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Thanks all. I am truly looking forward to my AW and what it can do, but I really have no desire to give up my mechanical watch either, especially since I just bought a very new new SS one a few months ago. Plus it has a round face which I prefer.

I guess I'll try to rotate them as much as possible and I guess if I wear my AW most of the time during the day, when I go out at night or want to dress up a bit more, I'll switch to my dressy mechanical watch. Just wanted to see how others were rotating theirs and get ideas.

DJLAXL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
UT
White/Black sports bands during the week. Leather Classic for the nights out with the wife. My Movado and Emporio Armani just sit there on my dresser now lol. Its kinda like Toy Story when Andy gets his new Buzz Lightyear. He loves Woody, but he is definitely not as cool as Buzz

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
I have about 5 other mechanical watches and in the 3 weeks I've owned the Apple watch I have worn them twice. It's hogging my wrist, and with the various bands I have some variety. I still plan to wear them though.

mav

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I have an Apple Watch on order and this is my biggest dilemma as well.

Besides replacing my G-Shocks as my main gym watch, I'm not sure how to rotate it among my other watches yet. Will my Omegas and Tudors simply sit in my watch box? Right now I can't imagine any circumstances that the Apple Watch will replace them on my wrist but frankly, I fear that I will become so attached to the Apple Watch because of its increased functionality that could happen.

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
I have an Apple Watch on order and this is my biggest dilemma as well.

Besides replacing my G-Shocks as my main gym watch, I'm not sure how to rotate it among my other watches yet. Will my Omegas and Tudors simply sit in my watch box? Right now I can't imagine any circumstances that the Apple Watch will replace them on my wrist but frankly, I fear that I will become so attached to the Apple Watch because of its increased functionality that could happen.

It's going to happen. I was very surprised.

johnd39

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
East Renfrewshire, Scotland
Yes it's a serious issue for watch lovers

Been an huge Apple fan ever since I binned a PC laptop (literally) in 2007? Couldn't stand the constant crashes and ugliness. Have had multiple Apple devices ever since. Have sufficient children and grandchildren waiting with hands held out for discarded devices not to feel guilty for indulging my obsession.

I bought a 38mm SG tried it for ten days and decided that it wasn't much benefit as I have my iPhone 6+ with me 24/7 as well as having worn a classic Patek Philippe 3940 every day for over 25 years that I bought after a sale of a company in 1988. Sold it on EBay for a small profit.

So instead I consoled myself with a MacBook 2012 in SG. Very nice indeed but a bit small so reverted to my newish iMac Retina and MBP 13" Retina and was going to return the MacBook. Made the error of showing it to my wife who had been v happy with a MB Air and iPhone 6. She immediately snaffled it and that's that.

I'm regretting that AW sale more and more 'cos it was great fun. I'm going to replace it with a SG 42mm despite snorts and sneers from said wife although I know I'll be in a quandary every morning.

Therapy for that gratefully received.

Chcougar1

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015
The problem is I want to use the apple watch for fitness and regular tracking (steps, calories, etc). Taking it off to rotate it with another watch means that data isn't captured. I'm wearing two when I want to. It won't be often but I want to wear the Swiss Army out to dinner or something I'm wearing both.

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
Was wearing the AW daily when I received it. Wore another watch one day and now have the AW in my daily rotation (would use for exercising on days that I don't wear it in my rotation)

HussRainbow

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
My other watches have taken to the shelf since Monday, probably will stay that way for a week or two, I can't resist putting the watch on straight away in the morning. I don't even think about my other watches, i'm sure they'll come back into rotation eventually :D

anez

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
I haven't worn anything else for the last month, and I feel pretty bad about it. I love my mechanical watches, and have built up a lovely collection, but the Apple Watch's features are murderously addictive and make it difficult to swap it out for others.

I keep telling myself I'm going to wear one of my others to X or Y place or event, and then end up wearing the Watch because I don't want to have to check my phone for notifications, or I don't want to lose my activity tracking.

With normal watches, you can swap them out without any cost whatsoever (aside from the initial cost of purchase). In fact, you feel better for rotating them and getting good wear out of each. Dumping the Apple Watch for a day or two has a huge cost in the continuity of your fitness tracking, and that's hard (for me) to accept.

Maybe in a few months when I've gotten all the awards and I have developed a better idea of what X level of activity equates to in terms of time/calories/HR without needing to consult the Watch for that information, I'll want to wear my others again?

For now, though: it's all Apple Watch, all the time.

dthmtlgod

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I work from home full-time and have my phone out all day, so I only wear my smart watch's when I am going out to dinner or to a movie. Myself, the only thing I really need are the notifications.

I figure I will give the AW a try one of these days, but it will probably only get worn when I go out like my others. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.