Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR
I'm a right-handed person who wore my watch on my right arm. I knew when I got the Apple Watch that I'd have to wear it in my left arm so I could manipulate it with my right hand. The plus to that is I can still wear my Harley Davidson watch on my right arm & I do :).

iSaul

macrumors member
May 3, 2007
Berkeley, California
Apple Watch Only

I have collected watches for years. I have a number that have been in my rotation including high end watches such as Omegas and Hamiltons.

I haven't taken a single one out since I got my apple watch. I don't think I will ever go back.

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I don't have any uber-heirloom quality watches, but I do have some nice ones (Nomos, Glycine, Oris, some cool Seikos)... As much as I hate to admit it, other than a beater Seiko 5 I wore white-water rafting, I've only worn my apple watch since receiving it on April 24th. I'm seriously considering selling all but the Seiko and the Nomos... it seems silly for them to sit around in a box.

The apple watch is such a useful device for me (I'm a physician... having the notifications on my wrist while seeing patients is invaluable)... the activity tracking is fun and a bit addictive. I love a fine mechanical watch, but utility is clearly winning in this case.

Same here. Have several pretty nice watches (few hundred dollars each, not in the thousands), but havent't worn any since I got the Apple Watch. I also have a Casio Pathfinder that I usually wear for outdoor stuff, but I am taking my Apple Watch with me for a two week trip coming up. Just bought a wrap for it to try and avoid scratching up the watch too much. We'll see how it holds up.

LNYMRKO

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010
I have a few watches (about 8-9 total and nothing too crazy or expensive though), however since I got my Apple Watch I can't see myself wearing anything else! I know it's probably because of the fancy new toy "honeymoon" stage, but I figure I can change the band and face to suit any occasion easily, and turn off notifications and sounds easily if need be so I don't get distracted. I don't actually wan't to use my old watches anymore. It's like when you get a fresh new pair of kicks, and you look at your old dirty used ones with disgust! :p

Twyntub

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
:apple:Watch has definitely taken over from all of my day to day watches. Except...

Going out on an evening with the family I want to be free from notifications and e-mail, so that's now given me a reason to start looking for a nice mechanical watch. It's a reminder than I'm officially in aeroplane mode.

Ironically, I'm expecting to spend a lot more on it than I probably would have done before, likely 2-3x more than on my SGS, because what Apple has done is effectively reset my expectations with regards to watch design and pricing.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
I have a Tag Heuer Formula 1 that I've worn daily for about 7 years. As much as I love it, it has been sitting on my Dresser since my Apple Watch arrived. I have a 42 SG Sport with BSB and to be honest I think it looks good enough for any occaision.

Not sure when the Tag will get called into service again thoug maybe uo at the cottage as I can wear it for swimming without any feat. It's rated to 200m depth.

sdallnct2

macrumors regular
May 3, 2015
Unless there was only one specific reason you bought AW (which I would think unlikely as almost every feature is still at "stage 1") the best use of the AW, IMO, is to wear all the time.

To me, at this point, there is not one perfect "oh my god this is amazing and different than anything else" feature that you would only use on occasion.

Basically, to me, at this point, it is Apple Watch as a whole really good compared to the individual parts. Its the all day interaction.

Brdl04

Suspended
Jan 22, 2011
the D
I have a SS Submariner that I've worn for 8 years. My SS AW is due to arrive tomorrow and I'm terrified the Rolex will not get used. Who knows. Time will tell

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
I bought a 38mm SG tried it for ten days and decided that it wasn't much benefit as I have my iPhone 6+ with me 24/7 as well as having worn a classic Patek Philippe 3940 every day for over 25 years that I bought after a sale of a company in 1988. Sold it on EBay for a small profit.

I'm just curious, why did you sell the Patek? Especially after 25 years I can imagine you would keep that with you forever as a reminder of selling your company.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I'm just curious, why did you sell the Patek? Especially after 25 years I can imagine you would keep that with you forever as a reminder of selling your company.

I think he meant he sold the Apple watch.

Applenoob34

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
The G Shock gets the nod of I'm doing something that has a higher risk of damaging the watch. Had to do some tactical training last week and decided to let the G Shock handle that task. Apple watch is worn all other times though.

Joe1602

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
:apple:Watch has definitely taken over from all of my day to day watches. Except...

Going out on an evening with the family I want to be free from notifications and e-mail, so that's now given me a reason to start looking for a nice mechanical watch. It's a reminder than I'm officially in aeroplane mode.

Ironically, I'm expecting to spend a lot more on it than I probably would have done before, likely 2-3x more than on my SGS, because what Apple has done is effectively reset my expectations with regards to watch design and pricing.

I use do not disturb or power reserve mode quite often in those kind of social situations. I'm surprised people would rather wear a dumb watch than just suppress notifications for a while.

xthine

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
USA
After 3 weeks I have not been able to go without the AW. I have 6 mechanicals. By week 3 I decided to wear both.. Mechanical on left wrist and the AW on the right. There are times I wear the AW face down on my wrist, so that the Milanese band looks like a bracelet. I have activate on wrist raise disabled on the AW so it's less noticeable. We'll see how it goes.

dokindo

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2009
I have a Grand Seiko and an Omega planet ocean, which I now realize are just decorative jewelry and cant compete with the AW for wrist space.

Will keep the other watches for sentimental reasons, not to mention they look nice, but unlikely they ever get any real use.

Twyntub

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
I use do not disturb or power reserve mode quite often in those kind of social situations. I'm surprised people would rather wear a dumb watch than just suppress notifications for a while.

Why take a sail boat out when you can get there much faster in a speedboat?

Why play a mid-range grand when a virtual Steinway sounds so much better, and is probably more forgiving to play?

Why cook a meal when there are perfectly good ready-meals out there?

Why drive a classic car when a modern box is arguably faster, safer, more comfortable and less hassle?

Why wear the exact same watch as millions of other people all of the time, when you can choose to wear something different?

InAustralia

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia
I have a Tag Heuer which I love and has been my daily watch for the past 23 years.

When I got my Apple Watch, I thought I would rotate between watches but realistically the Apple Watch has won. I was surprised at how quickly I was able to detach from my Tag. I think the Tag will only get usage when I am going swimming now, but once the Apple Watch becomes waterproof it will be all over for my other watches.

Twyntub

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
I have a Tag Heuer which I love and has been my daily watch for the past 23 years.

When I got my Apple Watch, I thought I would rotate between watches but realistically the Apple Watch has won. I was surprised at how quickly I was able to detach from my Tag. I think the Tag will only get usage when I am going swimming now, but once the Apple Watch becomes waterproof it will be all over for my other watches.

They say it takes 30 days to form a habit. If that's true, then over the next couple of weeks there could be millions of people who will now be 'dedicated' :apple:Watch wearers, whose wrists will be hard to win over with anything else, save the :apple:Watch Air.

You can understand why Jony Ive made those comments about the watch industry...

Joe1602

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Why wear the exact same watch as millions of other people all of the time, when you can choose to wear something different?

My response was to someone to wears a dumb watch because he doesn't want to be bothered with notifications in certain situations. This is a terrible reason to me, because you can turn off the notifications easily. If you really can't help yourself and are looking at the watch when it is socially unacceptable, then I don't know what to tell you.

The Apple Watch can do hundreds of things that dumb watches can't, and still looks brilliant. But, by all means, be different just to be different if that's what makes you happy. Wear a piece of nonfunctional jewelry if it makes you feel better about yourself.

princealyy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
My response was to someone to wears a dumb watch because he doesn't want to be bothered with notifications in certain situations. This is a terrible reason to me, because you can turn off the notifications easily. If you really can't help yourself and are looking at the watch when it is socially unacceptable, then I don't know what to tell you.

The Apple Watch can do hundreds of things that dumb watches can't, and still looks brilliant. But, by all means, be different just to be different if that's what makes you happy. Wear a piece of nonfunctional jewelry if it makes you feel better about yourself.

I think the previous poster was talking about the uniqueness of the watch. If someone has a $5K watch they may wear it for simplicity, style, uniqueness, etc.

I wear mine as an activity tracker, I used to have a Jawbone UP24, and now the Apple Watch is my activity tracker while I wait for it to do more "cool" things. Mine doesnt always ring when my phone goes off which is a bit irritating....

xthine

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
USA
I wear mine as an activity tracker, I used to have a Jawbone UP24, and now the Apple Watch is my activity tracker while I wait for it to do more "cool" things. Mine doesnt always ring when my phone goes off which is a bit irritating....

Same here. Do you wear a traditional watch on your other wrist?

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
While i haven't received my watch yet, my wife have been wearing her 38mm SS AW for 2weeks now and loving it. Well last week she gave her lady Invicta watch to our 12 year old daughter i was shocked. because she really loved that watch.

She told me that i wasn't going to wear my other watches anymore either. Once i receive my AW and experience all the things that it does. I have a few Invicta's and a Citizens Eco Drive Aqualand, that i wear to the beach or when i am in the Florida keys scuba diving.

The funny thing is, i had a feeling that this might happen. when i saw some of the AW features in action. my Citizen i will continue to use at the beach and for diving don't have much of a choice there. But my other watches don't know yet only time will tell.

DarthBarbieDoll

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Missouri
I haven't worn my other watches since I received my Apple Watch. I do miss my Star Wars watches so maybe they will come up with a Star Wars watch face that I can choose in the future. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.