Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
I fall into the later camp, my SE has been horrible since updating to iOS 11, Apple even replaced it under warranty and still its crap even after setting up as a new phone.

Then you have others who come along "Oh my phones great, runs even better than 10.3" I can't understand it. It's not my phone as that's been replaced, it's not my apps as I only have 6 non Apple apps installed at this stage the only thing it can be is iOS. My phone runs fine its battery life that's taken a major hit, I used to get a full day and until about 6pm the following day with my usage on 10.3.3, On all versions of iOS 11 I will not make it past 9pm. Not even a full days usage.

Reactions: dk001 and macfacts

yasineris

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2017
Oh I believe you, there are quite a few with no problems, equally, there are as many folks with problems, this is what I can't understand.

I’m glad I’m not one of them haha
Maybe it’s because I’m on 11.2.5 beta?

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I’m guessing some people have less tolerance for stuttering and lag. Also gessing some apps we have installed might not like iOS 11. The people who have no issues may not have these installed. Different hardware in each phone even in the same model ( difference makes of modem , ram chip etc) . iOS 11 has been awful on my 6splus and same on the X. The new beta is a lot better so fingers crossed

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
In terms of the issue with battery problems, there is probably some bug that only triggers under some circumstances that have to line up just right. I have a 10.5" iPad that has no battery problems, but my iPhone 6s+ has major battery drain issues since updating to iOS 11. Same set of Apps too.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wondering one thing... do you obsessively close apps when you are not using them? I used to do that and had battery life issues but after doing some research I discovered that you are actually far better off to not force close apps unless they are misbehaving/unstable. It may be somewhat counterintuitive but my battery life actually improved quite a bit as it’s more power efficient not to have to relaunch apps and iOS has really great memory management.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
There are a lot of factors that contribute to that... it depends on your usage though. For a 2016 device, it may have been better on iOS 10 than 11 since iOS 11 has not been fully polished as yet until probably 11.3.x. There are users reporting battery drain on older device like SE/6/6S but mines have been great so far on my 5S. Other factors like chemically aged battery, frequent force closing apps, iCloud background syncing, poor cellular coverage, apps that "Always" using location services or even bad OTA install or corrupt backup restore could drain battery. I would say iOS 11 should be polished by the end of the year when Apple will start on iOS 12 and Apple is only allowing 64 bit apps in the App Store phasing out 32 bit for better app optimization started this month.

iOS 11.2.5 should provide some improvement coming soon next week

Last edited:
Reactions: roncron

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
My experience on 6s had been very good. Except when I enabled the feature, which removes unused apps but keep the data. Then it started to stutter. Might be a coincident, but haven't enabled it since and not hat any slowdown since.

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Wondering one thing... do you obsessively close apps when you are not using them? I used to do that and had battery life issues but after doing some research I discovered that you are actually far better off to not force close apps unless they are misbehaving/unstable. It may be somewhat counterintuitive but my battery life actually improved quite a bit as it’s more power efficient not to have to relaunch apps and iOS has really great memory management.

I close them down on my x I stopped and my Useage times were way out they were measuring it as if the apps were being used. so I got like 10hours usage with 60% battery life left. Stopped leaving them open and went back to normal.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
1) Everyone uses their device differently. A light user who mostly texts, make calls and occasionally checks E-mail might not run into as many issues as someone who has over 100 apps installed and needs a 2TB iCloud plan to store all their stuff.
2) Some people are more tolerant of little glitches than others. I'm fairly intolerant of glitches because there's really no reason for them in this day and age when we have so much CPU power and memory available. Others don't care.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Because the people who say they have no issues are liars. ;)

...or they have a higher tolerance for issues and brush them off.

I've said it on here before; I have yet to find one person in my life who hasn't had *some* problem with iOS 11. Also, as said above, I think those with light usage and few apps won't be experiencing the same problems. The same probably goes for those who wipe their phones and start over versus people who have update on top of update.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Because the people who say they have no issues are liars. ;)

...or they have a higher tolerance for issues and brush them off.

I've said it on here before; I have yet to find one person in my life who hasn't had *some* problem with iOS 11. Also, as said above, I think those with light usage and few apps won't be experiencing the same problems. The same probably goes for those who wipe their phones and start over versus people who have update on top of update.

I guess I am one of the liars then

I have never once wiped my phone and done a clean install
3GS>4>4s>5>5s>6s>7Plus>X

And I have no issues, problems, battery drain, stuttering, etc. with iOS 11

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
^Same here, never once a clean install (at this point I'm not even sure I'd know how to get all my fluff back on my phone if I tried it) and always updated OTA since it has been possible. Now, I realize that I might be a statistical anomaly, but it is what it is. It would appear that I'm at least lucky, if nothing else. And a liar, obviously.

MC6800

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2016
I'm in the first camp too-- my SE goes for days without recharge and I haven't noticed any problems with 11. Note that I don't normally quit apps, and also don't have the Facebook app.

For battery drain I'd check Settings>Battery>Battery Usage. One of your 6 apps may be throwing a fit under 11.

Reactions: roncron

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I have no stuttering or lag or excessive battery use (best battery usage on any phone for me) on my X nor does my wife have any issues on her 8+.
I think it is the apps that people run along with other usage factors.
I think IOS 11 is the best IOS yet.

Reactions: nortonandreev

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
It is crazy for sure.
Friend on a 6 - no issues, another on a 6S+ and has one issue after another, ex on a 7 and the keyboard/spellcheck is always messing up, my 7+ .... after 3 total resets, one with Apple watching, I moved to a Razer. My IPP 12 G2 has issues while the Mini 4 is pretty good.
IT lead where I work calls it the 1-1-1 syndrome. 1 Good, 1 So-So, 1 Bad.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I am betting that the older the device is the more issues on iOS 11, and newer devices "for the most part" are the ones with no issues.

"A mysterious glimpse at the obvious"

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
I fall into the later camp, my SE has been horrible since updating to iOS 11, Apple even replaced it under warranty and still its crap even after setting up as a new phone.

Then you have others who come along "Oh my phones great, runs even better than 10.3" I can't understand it. It's not my phone as that's been replaced, it's not my apps as I only have 6 non Apple apps installed at this stage the only thing it can be is iOS. My phone runs fine its battery life that's taken a major hit, I used to get a full day and until about 6pm the following day with my usage on 10.3.3, On all versions of iOS 11 I will not make it past 9pm. Not even a full days usage.

Primarily, it’s the settings. We all have different ones.
It is also the apps installed, settings for those apps, differences in hardware, external environment, undiscovered bugs...

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I am betting that the older the device is the more issues on iOS 11, and newer devices "for the most part" are the ones with no issues.

"A mysterious glimpse at the obvious"

Be nice if that were the case. My Mini4 is doing better than my IPP 12 G2.
Friends 6 is doing better than my 7+
Have also seen just the opposite. Sadly it is all over the place. (7+ and earlier models)

Reactions: Saturn007 and mikzn

Lodesman

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
Folkestone, Kent, UK
I've no idea what 'stuttering' or 'lag' are.

Our two 32gb SEs are great little workhorses, used for phoning, texting, minor browsing, WhatsApping and similar. No Facebook - no time or interest.

Charge lasts all day, ending up with 30-50% at bedtime.

Sorry if that does not accord with those suffering problems but there you are.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I think its a mess for a variety of reasons combined

a) iOS 11 is a wildcard across devices, some good, some bad,
b) OTA or fresh restore, set up as new / restore from backup variability
c) observantness vs nonchalantless

Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.