Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I fall into the later camp, my SE has been horrible since updating to iOS 11, Apple even replaced it under warranty and still its crap even after setting up as a new phone.

Then you have others who come along "Oh my phones great, runs even better than 10.3" I can't understand it. It's not my phone as that's been replaced, it's not my apps as I only have 6 non Apple apps installed at this stage the only thing it can be is iOS. My phone runs fine its battery life that's taken a major hit, I used to get a full day and until about 6pm the following day with my usage on 10.3.3, On all versions of iOS 11 I will not make it past 9pm. Not even a full days usage.
there are a lot of variables when it comes to battery life. some days, my phone makes it through the whole day and then around 12 the next day it dies. other days i find myself looking for a charger before i get home from work (around 9pm)

it really depends on your usage, battery capacity remaining and charging habits. And when i say usage, i don’t just mean how long you used your phone, because 30 mins of gaming doesn’t equal 30 mins of web browsing.

rich32gb5s

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
Berkshire
Had continuous problems pre 11.2.5 . Now works as it should just like 10 used to. It’s been 6 months of a nightmare. Very disappointed with Apple quality lately.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
2) Some people are more tolerant of little glitches than others. I'm fairly intolerant of glitches because there's really no reason for them in this day and age when we have so much CPU power and memory available. Others don't care.

Because Apple has done a tremendous job to make us accept and become complaisant with low quality products that we as customers and users don't care anymore, because whatever is wrong with our devices Apple has promised to fix it in the next update, and for that reason, we the customers will never have a finished product until the next update... because we have fail to demand what we pay for, so shame on us.

Reactions: Superhappytree

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Because Apple has done a tremendous job to make us accept and become complaisant with low quality products that we as customers and users don't care anymore, because whatever is wrong with our devices Apple has promised to fix it in the next update, and for that reason, we the customers will never have a finished product until the next update... because we have fail to demand what we pay for, so shame on us.
Perhaps the products aren't of low quality to many?

ry-guy

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
North of Sweden
Maybe because Apple wrote a new file system to work across multiple devices/hard drives/modems/GPU's?

I really don't know. But i like to think its the case. But since planned obsolescence has been shown to be partly true, I think the answer has be shown to be dont trust a company who evades their taxes.

Some sarcasm included in this post.

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
Here’s my theory.
Apple uses a range of serial numbers to cripple iphones. That’s why even after starting fresh, your iPhone continues to run poorly.

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Because the people who say they have no issues are liars. ;)

...or they have a higher tolerance for issues and brush them off.

I've said it on here before; I have yet to find one person in my life who hasn't had *some* problem with iOS 11. Also, as said above, I think those with light usage and few apps won't be experiencing the same problems. The same probably goes for those who wipe their phones and start over versus people who have update on top of update.

*Very* heavy iOS user here. I use it constantly for work. iPad Pro, iPhone X, watch and so on. No more or less issues with iOS 11 than with other versions of iOS. I just asked my wife and kids and they had the same opinion. I work with a tech company of 1000 folks and we have a lot of mobile development, no one is talking about how 11 is some how magically a bad release...

If you are looking for a perfect experience with a device it isn’t going to happen. If, by chance, you had a perfect experience with a specific version then you are the anomoly and expecting 11 to reproduce that is going to leave you disappointed.

Every single release of every piece of software has someone like you. Someone hit with a bug and think the sky is falling. 11 isn’t special in that respect.

When 12 hits there will be threads on here of folks staying on the awesome 11 release because 12 is so buggy!!! Rinse and repeat!

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
*Very* heavy iOS user here. I use it constantly for work. iPad Pro, iPhone X, watch and so on. No more or less issues with iOS 11 than with other versions of iOS. I just asked my wife and kids and they had the same opinion. I work with a tech company of 1000 folks and we have a lot of mobile development, no one is talking about how 11 is some how magically a bad release...

If you are looking for a perfect experience with a device it isn’t going to happen. If, by chance, you had a perfect experience with a specific version then you are the anomoly and expecting 11 to reproduce that is going to leave you disappointed.

Every single release of every piece of software has someone like you. Someone hit with a bug and think the sky is falling. 11 isn’t special in that respect.

When 12 hits there will be threads on here of folks staying on the awesome 11 release because 12 is so buggy!!! Rinse and repeat!

I'm not saying that at all. I'm pretty sure I've had issues with every new/major iOS version; I'm just echoing that iOS 11 is no different. It just irritates me all the people proclaiming that their experiences are flawless, when I don't believe that to be the case. With all of these iterations, though, I hope for and nearly expect a level of refinement beyond what we have.

JCM86

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2018
Chincoteague Island
Wondering one thing... do you obsessively close apps when you are not using them? I used to do that and had battery life issues but after doing some research I discovered that you are actually far better off to not force close apps unless they are misbehaving/unstable. It may be somewhat counterintuitive but my battery life actually improved quite a bit as it’s more power efficient not to have to relaunch apps and iOS has really great memory management.
Apple has specifically said I think sometime during WWDC17, there is absolutely no benefit from force closing Apps “sleeping” in the background. One of, if not the, most energy intensive tasks an App will perform is usually the initial launch.

Reactions: sbailey4

Lodesman

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
Folkestone, Kent, UK

I've said it on here before; I have yet to find one person in my life who hasn't had *some* problem with iOS 11. Also, as said above, I think those with light usage and few apps won't be experiencing the same problems. The same probably goes for those who wipe their phones and start over versus people who have update on top of update.

What a deeply offensive thing to say !!
You are a self-professed expert and are convinced that your experience is the only one that matters - what nonsense!!

Grow up and look outside - you may find it refreshing.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

So, you're calling me a liar? I'm good. Seriously. No issues here. I have over 200 apps installed on my 7plus, use many of them regularly... and typically log about 6-7 hours of "usage" every day... so I would not say that I am a "light" user... and I have never wiped my phone and started over. I started with the iPhone 3G, and have always just updated over the top of the existing iOS, and when I get a new phone, I restore from backup... so that blows many of your theories away.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
What a deeply offensive thing to say !!
You are a self-professed expert and are convinced that your experience is the only one that matters - what nonsense!!

Grow up and look outside - you may find it refreshing.

So, you're calling me a liar? I'm good. Seriously. No issues here. I have over 200 apps installed on my 7plus, use many of them regularly... and typically log about 6-7 hours of "usage" every day... so I would not say that I am a "light" user... and I have never wiped my phone and started over. I started with the iPhone 3G, and have always just updated over the top of the existing iOS, and when I get a new phone, I restore from backup... so that blows many of your theories away.

Lighten up, people. It was said in a joking/sarcastic manner. (Hence the face.) Maybe you're the ones who should go out for some air...

Where exactly did I claim to be an expert? As I've stated several times, I'm only reporting my observations and opinions. I have mine, and you have yours. Life goes on.

Retromac2008

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2015
I fall into the later camp, my SE has been horrible since updating to iOS 11, Apple even replaced it under warranty and still its crap even after setting up as a new phone.

Then you have others who come along "Oh my phones great, runs even better than 10.3" I can't understand it. It's not my phone as that's been replaced, it's not my apps as I only have 6 non Apple apps installed at this stage the only thing it can be is iOS. My phone runs fine its battery life that's taken a major hit, I used to get a full day and until about 6pm the following day with my usage on 10.3.3, On all versions of iOS 11 I will not make it past 9pm. Not even a full days usage.

my iphone and ipad are perfect with ios 11.
(the iphone is thottling because the battery is at 50% - destroyed)

apps i use:

99% of the time :

- chrome
- iBooks

1% of the time

- adblock browser
- voice record
- pages
- google drive

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
Small variations in hardware across devices for the same model and differences in usage? It would be interesting to see ranges of serial numbers for people who have problems with iOS 11.

My iPhone 6s had a pretty bad battery drain problem on iOS 11. Its manufacturing date is 2015-09-07, and it has a TSMC chip.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

That may be the problem tho

iPhone X and iPad Pro are modern latest iOS devices. They work relatively well

Most belly aching comes from older device users on 11

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Or maybe those that claim they do are just imagining them - same type of comment. But I don't buy either of them.

You're right... Clearly my imagination lol

nj1pNLQeTsSlPfD02C9-1Q.png

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Some people don’t nitpick over every little thing they come across.

Some do however things like overlap, out of order, alerts or bullets that don’t match, apps that crash, wifi that works or not, etc... can be of primary concern to many. Items like this also show a lack of concern by the app and/or OS delepoes(s).
It varies depending on the individual.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.