Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Finally got around to getting a Starbucks card via the app. I figured passbook would automatically add it but it didn't? I don see any options to add it anywhere also. Is this something they will "enable" tomorrow web iOS 6 is officially released..

Oh and spare the "iOS 6 is for developers" We all know that already ;)

iPhone3gPSU

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Don't believe there are any apps that have enabled passbook support yet - I looked all around on the Starbucks app and don't think it's there yet.

RipeRetina

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
Maryland
Starbucks hasn't updated to be enabled for passbook yet. You can only test out passbook until they start updating apps to use it. Checkout passsource if you want to see what it will look like.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Finally got around to getting a Starbucks card via the app. I figured passbook would automatically add it but it didn't? I don see any options to add it anywhere also. Is this something they will "enable" tomorrow web iOS 6 is officially released..

Oh and spare the "iOS 6 is for developers" We all know that already ;)

nope, passbook is a gimmick or a joke.
Really apple? You didn't work with any devs to get some passbook ready apps out for the iOS 6 release? fail.

RKilbane20

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
The Fandango app has been Passport Enabled and I think the Delta app. Does anyone know what the MLB app is for my passport. It's on apples website.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
The Fandango app has been Passport Enabled and I think the Delta app. Does anyone know what the MLB app is for my passport. It's on apples website.

Yes, Fandango has updated.
I have not seen Delta update, nor have I seen Starbucks.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I'm still not fully understanding how PB works... So you'll have to have an additional app for each franchise you want in Passbook? I'll have to use a Starbucks app to put the card in Passbook?

MacVertigo

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
I'm still not fully understanding how PB works... So you'll have to have an additional app for each franchise you want in Passbook? I'll have to use a Starbucks app to put the card in Passbook?

I think you are correct.. and it's stupid. So now I have two apps to do the same thing one did. I'm not quite getting the point of passbook.

Type121

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2004
Northeast
I think you are correct.. and it's stupid. So now I have two apps to do the same thing one did. I'm not quite getting the point of passbook.

It's meant to be a location-aware, single point of contact, repository for your cards that's accessible quickly from the lockscreen. So you walk into a Starbucks and your card can be brought up without unlocking or looking for the correct app. Then you walk to the security line at the airport, and there's your boarding pass. Maybe later you're near Walgreen's and their app pushes a coupon into your passbook to entice you to shop.

There will always be features in the apps that are not part of the cards. The Starbucks app lets you shop and look for stores and such. The United app lets you search for and book flights. Passbook just pulls out the appropriate card for quick access when you are in a relevant location.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio

But since you can add cards and such through Safari or email, couldn't you install the app, get your card over, and delete the app?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
But since you can add cards and such through Safari or email, couldn't you install the app, get your card over, and delete the app?

just exploring this this morning; i added walgreens (duane reade), and fandango. but the cards won't appear in the app UNTIL i use them (at least this is true with fandango)..

once walgreens showed up in passbook, i deleted it's app. one less thing on the screen.

waiting for starbucks to work!

inelegant to setup, but look forward to it becoming useful...

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
ugh. tried the target idea, but EVERYTIME i click on the link to activate it, i get an error, and have to start over.

passbook has a way to go, it is far from intuitive (ie 'apple-like')...

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Just because you own a wallet doesn't mean it came with the credit cards inside it.

Yes, but I don't have to buy a 2nd wallet with a credit card in it, move it from that wallet to my wallet, and then throw away the new wallet.

Passbook really needs a way to add a card from a vendor from within Passbook itself.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Yes, but I don't have to buy a 2nd wallet with a credit card in it, move it from that wallet to my wallet, and then throw away the new wallet.

Passbook really needs a way to add a card from a vendor from within Passbook itself.

agreed.

i'd love, though, to buy a $100 wallet that had $100 in it (etc)...:D

CooperHarris

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012

You do not seem to understand the purpose of Passbook. Here's the text from Apple's website, with my own highlighting for understanding:

Your boarding passes, movie tickets, retail coupons, loyalty cards, and more are now all in one place. You can add passes to Passbook through apps, emails, and websites from participating airlines, theaters, stores, and more. Then you can scan your iPhone or iPod touch to check in for a flight, get into a movie, and redeem a coupon. You can also see when your coupons expire, where your concert seats are, and the balance left on that all-important coffee bar card. Wake your iPhone or iPod touch, and passes appear on your Lock screen at the appropriate time and place — like when you reach the airport or walk into the store to redeem your gift card or coupon. And if your gate changes after you’ve checked in for your flight, Passbook will even alert you to make sure you’re not relaxing in the wrong terminal.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You do not seem to understand the purpose of Passbook. Here's the text from Apple's website, with my own highlighting for understanding:

Your boarding passes, movie tickets, retail coupons, loyalty cards, and more are now all in one place. You can add passes to Passbook through apps, emails, and websites from participating airlines, theaters, stores, and more. Then you can scan your iPhone or iPod touch to check in for a flight, get into a movie, and redeem a coupon. You can also see when your coupons expire, where your concert seats are, and the balance left on that all-important coffee bar card. Wake your iPhone or iPod touch, and passes appear on your Lock screen at the appropriate time and place — like when you reach the airport or walk into the store to redeem your gift card or coupon. And if your gate changes after you’ve checked in for your flight, Passbook will even alert you to make sure you’re not relaxing in the wrong terminal.

Man, it sure would be nice if the Passbook app explained ANY of what you've just said and didn't just send you to the app store with no instructions.

Apple sure is trying hard to make me think that getting another app is the only way to use Passbook. I shouldn't have needed someone on Macrumors to tell me how a built-in app works. Most iPhone users won't get that opportunity.

mnemonix

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
It sure would be nice if the Passbook app explained ANY of what you've just said and didn't just send you to the app store with no instructions.

Apple sure is trying hard to make me think that getting another app is the only way to use Passbook. I shouldn't have needed someone on Macrumors to tell me how a built-in app works.

I don't think they care. Passbook was a gimmick added to iOS for the sake of a new feature to announce, that kinda, sorta sounded like NFC (which is being touted as a feature of most rival phones already) without actually doing anything anything very much like it, or being that useful at all. Google has 'Google wallet'? Apple has 'Passbook'!

Good lord, if NFC wasn't ready for prime time as Schiller declared, how in the world is Passbook going to take off? A proprietary system requiring custom app development by each and every company who wants to use it? Unless it is linked to NFC in the future, Passbook will remain largely unused until it dies a death, just like that other pointless, me-too feature - Ping.

CooperHarris

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Man, it sure would be nice if the Passbook app explained ANY of what you've just said and didn't just send you to the app store with no instructions.

Apple sure is trying hard to make me think that getting another app is the only way to use Passbook. I shouldn't have needed someone on Macrumors to tell me how a built-in app works. Most iPhone users won't get that opportunity.

The Apple website explains the feature. I believe the free "iPhone User Guide For iOS 6" does as well (though I don't need to install it so I can't say for certain). Nobody needs to visit Macrumors (and nobody SHOULD visit Macrumors) to learn about iOS 6 features.

----------

I don't think they care. Passbook was a gimmick added to iOS for the sake of a new feature to announce, that kinda, sorta sounded like NFC (which is being touted as a feature of most rival phones already) without actually doing anything anything very much like it, or being that useful at all. Google has 'Google wallet'? Apple has 'Passbook'!

Passbook isn't a gimmick. The main beef people have is that there are not enough vendors using it or the vendors they want are not using it. In response, people are finding fault with Apple. If you have a beef with the amount of vendors using Passbook you should take it up with the vendors. Last time I checked people weren't griping at Samsung because their local grocery store doesn't support NFC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.