Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
Passbook isn't a gimmick. The main beef people have is that there are not enough vendors using it or the vendors they want are not using it. In response, people are finding fault with Apple. If you have a beef with the amount of vendors using Passbook you should take it up with the vendors. Last time I checked people weren't griping at Samsung because their local grocery store doesn't support NFC.
Apple is the one that created the app
Apple is the one that put a huge spotlight on the app (x2. WWDC + iPhone 5 event)
Apple is the one that established their list of partners
Apple is the one that SHOWED DEMOS AND ADS regarding their list of partners
Yet it is the users responsibility to develop a rapport with vendors in order to expand Apples emerging platform?

mnemonix

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
Wait, so you're saying that NFC just magically appears in stores without its company having to do any work?

No, but rolling out an updated point of sale payment device with NFC to vendors seems a lot more likely and useful, the mechanisms are already in place for it, and it works for everyone and every product once it's out as it's platform and vendor independent.

As I've said elsewhere, I don't even really understand what Passport is! Frankly, I don't believe that's an indication of my intelligence, but rather the ill conceived nature of Passport.

But hey don't believe me when I say it's poorly thought through and implemented, you already seem to have your own issues with it!

Last edited:

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Apple is the one that put a huge spotlight on the app (x2. WWDC + iPhone 5 event)

Yet it is the users responsibility to develop a rapport with vendors in order to expand Apples emerging platform?

Where is it that Apple is having users develop rapport with vendors? It's up to the vendors in your marketplace to determine if they want to tie into passbook and gain more mind share and interface with the iPhone customer base.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
No, but rolling out an updated point of sale payment device with NFC to vendors seems a lot more likely and useful, the mechanisms are already in place for it, and it works for everyone and every product once it's out as it's platform and vendor independent.

I'm already using my iPhone to pay at Starbucks and board airplanes.

My confusion over Passbook is over the need for a central place for these things...not the actual screen-reading technology, which is solid.

I think screen-reading makes a lot more sense than NFC and many businesses out there are already using it just fine today.

CooperHarris

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012

Who is responsible for the delivery of "content" in Passbook, Apple or the Vendor?

The answer is the Vendor.

Yes Apple highlighted Passbook. I expect it to become quite valuable once the Vendors are there.
Apple didn't establish their list of partners on their own. They selected Vendors who agreed to participate.
Apple showed demos of support from Vendors.

As you can clearly see, without the Vendors, Passbook is nothing more than a platform. Apple is responsible for the platform and if that fails then you should clearly point fingers at Apple. However, the chief complaint seems to be a lack of Vendors. You can't blame Apple because the Vendors haven't delivered.

----------

As I've said elsewhere, I don't even really understand what Passport is! Frankly, I don't believe that's an indication of my intelligence, but rather the ill conceived nature of Passport.

As previously stated ....

Your boarding passes, movie tickets, retail coupons, loyalty cards, and more are now all in one place. You can add passes to Passbook through apps, emails, and websites from participating airlines, theaters, stores, and more. Then you can scan your iPhone or iPod touch to check in for a flight, get into a movie, and redeem a coupon. You can also see when your coupons expire, where your concert seats are, and the balance left on that all-important coffee bar card. Wake your iPhone or iPod touch, and passes appear on your Lock screen at the appropriate time and place — like when you reach the airport or walk into the store to redeem your gift card or coupon. And if your gate changes after you’ve checked in for your flight, Passbook will even alert you to make sure you’re not relaxing in the wrong terminal.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
From what I can tell, the vendors systems seem to need the capability to support the barcode reading from within the app.

It is great (I guess) that Fandango supports this, but it sucks that my movie theater does not.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Yes Apple highlighted Passbook. I expect it to become quite valuable once the Vendors are there.
Apple didn't establish their list of partners on their own. They selected Vendors who agreed to participate.
Apple showed demos of support from Vendors.

As you can clearly see, without the Vendors, Passbook is nothing more than a platform. Apple is responsible for the platform and if that fails then you should clearly point fingers at Apple. However, the chief complaint seems to be a lack of Vendors. You can't blame Apple because the Vendors haven't delivered.

Apple highlighted and demoed Passbook, not the vendors. Even worse, Apple showed vendors that currently don't exist.

Apple knew the number of vendors they had was small and decided to push it as one of the main features anyway.

The last time I checked, there were 38 vendors worldwide using Passbook. How is that a major feature in a new OS/ new phone?

CooperHarris

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Apple highlighted and demoed Passbook, not the vendors. Even worse, Apple showed vendors that currently don't exist.

Apple knew the number of vendors they had was small and decided to push it as one of the main features anyway.

The last time I checked, there were 38 vendors worldwide using Passbook. How is that a major feature in a new OS/ new phone?

*sigh*

Of course Apple highlighted and demoed Passbook. It's a major new feature of iOS6. I don't think you can blame Apple for being excited about this fascinating new feature that, once embraced by vendors can change the way we do things. I think it's incredibly short sighted to knock Passbook simply because there wasn't a "sufficient" (note: I've put that in quotes as the value will differ from person to person) adoption by vendors at the time of release. For all we know the highlighted vendors all agreed to be ready by release then failed to meet their obligation. Somehow this is Apple's fault?

I'll go back to my earlier suggestion: Should people complain to Samsung because their local stores have not embraced NFC? I'm pretty sure the answer is no. It seems ridiculous to blame Samsung for something a Vendor failed to do. Oh wait .....

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

38 vendors in less than a month is quite good. I don't know what you expected. Yes, it could have been prepared better but 38 is a good number.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I'll go back to my earlier suggestion: Should people complain to Samsung because their local stores have not embraced NFC? I'm pretty sure the answer is no. It seems ridiculous to blame Samsung for something a Vendor failed to do. Oh wait .....

It depends. In your example, would Samsung have a grand demonstration involving stores that, months later at the release, still won't embrace NFC?

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
Should people complain to Samsung because their local stores have not embraced NFC? I'm pretty sure the answer is no. It seems ridiculous to blame Samsung for something a Vendor failed to do. Oh wait .....

am still struggling with the benefit. As far as I can see the only benefit to me is that it will 'automatically' pop up something as I get near it based on the things in the passbook? I already check in for flights with my phone, and get gate change notifications. I already pay for my coffee with my phone.

So while I think it might be useful, not only is the jury still out, the jury has not even been selected yet.

And to your Samsung/NFC point, I am not sure I have seen an advertisement by Samsung about using NFC with a Vendor. Transferring things between phones, yes (which reminds me of the early Palm days when you could use I/R to beam things to other Palm Pilots. A VERY useful feature, and one I have missed since), but have not seen them touting NFC the way Apple is touting Passbook.

Actually came here to macrumours because I did not actually see any applications anywhere, so assumed (based on the Apple description of all those cool things it will do) that I was simply missing something.

Turns out I wasn't missing anything. Someday it might do all those cool things. Not today.....

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
38 vendors in less than a month is quite good. I don't know what you expected. Yes, it could have been prepared better but 38 is a good number.

Except that it's not less than a month. Developers (vendors) have had the ability to write for Passbook since (at least) the WWDC announcement... many even before than.

The problem now seems like they are all taking a 'wait and see' attitude... where they are willing to join, but only if others do as well. The issue being that, unless (a lot) more start to join in soon, nobody will.

Lastly, I don't see how 38 worldwide could be considered a good number to anyone.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Except that it's not less than a month. Developers (vendors) have had the ability to write for Passbook since (at least) the WWDC announcement... many even before than.

The problem now seems like they are all taking a 'wait and see' attitude... where they are willing to join, but only if others do as well. The issue being that, unless (a lot) more start to join in soon, nobody will.

Lastly, I don't see how 38 worldwide could be considered a good number to anyone.

A lot of this could also be the fact that everyone and their mother is pushing through iOS 6 and iPhone 5 app updates right now, which I'm sure significantly lengthens the time for approval.

CooperHarris

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
It depends. In your example, would Samsung have a grand demonstration involving stores that, months later at the release, still won't embrace NFC?

For the sake of argument: yes. Let's assume in my example that Samsung rolled out a major convenience store that planned on having NFC deployed by release but due to unknown circumstances failed to do so by the time Samsung released their NFC phone.

No matter how you slice it, you can't hold Samsung OR Apple responsible for something a vendor failed to do. I still don't get why people aren't beating down the doors at Starbucks demanding their Passbook support when it's clearly shown on Apple's website. Rather, people are complaining about Apple and Passbook itself simply because Starbucks has yet to support it.

----------

Turns out I wasn't missing anything. Someday it might do all those cool things. Not today.....

It does cool things today. It doesn't do cool things for you. Once the vendors you use begin to embrace it in a way that benefits you, you will see it. Until then you can continue to use whatever you use today.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

It's not an $.99 app that you will rush to release because Apple has something cool for you. This is finance, not an app. It involves your business strategy. This will takes time. You're just being unrealistic. That's why you think number is so low.
Do you know how many magazines is Newsstand-compatible in the first month? Less than 300.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
Passbook will work when NFC is available in iPhone 6. The 5s will be the same design as the 5 and because it is aluminum on the back, 5s won't have NFC.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Passbook will work when NFC is available in iPhone 6. The 5s will be the same design as the 5 and because it is aluminum on the back, 5s won't have NFC.

NFC isn't holy grail. It has as much a chance to fail as Passbook.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
For the sake of argument: yes. Let's assume in my example that Samsung rolled out a major convenience store that planned on having NFC deployed by release but due to unknown circumstances failed to do so by the time Samsung released their NFC phone.

No matter how you slice it, you can't hold Samsung OR Apple responsible for something a vendor failed to do. I still don't get why people aren't beating down the doors at Starbucks demanding their Passbook support when it's clearly shown on Apple's website. Rather, people are complaining about Apple and Passbook itself simply because Starbucks has yet to support it.

If Starbucks were the only one, you might have a point, but it isn't.

Half of the vendors shown in the below image are NOT currently on Passbook... including Apple!

As you said, Starbucks is not currently a vendor in Passbook, but it is clearly shown on Apple's webpage. How is that not Apple's fault? Starbucks didn't put it there.

If Starbucks had it on THEIR webpage and have been promoting it themselves fort he past few months, then they'd get the blame, but they haven't. Starbucks hasn't made any promises to the public. Apple has, and that's why they get the blame.

applewwdc2012liveblog3852.jpg

----------

It's not an $.99 app that you will rush to release because Apple has something cool for you. This is finance, not an app. It involves your business strategy. This will takes time. You're just being unrealistic. That's why you think number is so low.
Do you know how many magazines is Newsstand-compatible in the first month? Less than 300.

Last time I checked, 300 is more than 38.

Most uses for Passbook are not finance, but check-ins and coupons - things that apps have been doing for a very long time already... and, on those which are promised to be finance, it's still not offering anything more or different that, again, has been available and heavily tested in it's standalone app.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
As I've said elsewhere, I don't even really understand what Passport is!

It's a cautious and conservative half-step towards an NFC-type mobile payment system. Half-step because Apple already stated they are not confident that NFC is ready for prime time.

Apple will very likely wait a bit until NFC has gotten a reasonable 'shakedown' and thus has proven its reliability.

Feel free to whine and bash Apple for their reluctance. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand Apple's perspective, even if you disagree with it. Apple is being cautious about knee-jerk acceptance of NFC as a payment system... because uhh... you know.... like any little screwup or mistake or flaw or glitch with NFC might result in thousands of users having their savings and/or accounts wiped out? Or their smartphones hijacked?

This is about access to people's money, access to their (digital) wallets. A very serious matter. Apple cannot afford to jump the gun here. Let someone else like Samsung or Google do it first. And then when the first hacks/crack expose some serious flaw/bug/weakness in NFC, and it becomes front page news.... I'll bet you good money those companies that endorsed NFC "too prematurely" will have a lot of explaining to do. Not to mention they will have mounting lawsuits against them from customers/businesses that got their accounts hacked and money wiped out.

And Apple will be standing in the sidelines saying "Yup. That's exactly why we felt we would wait this out a little bit longer. We told you so. This was one area of mobile tech that we did NOT want to do a rush job on. Did we already mention we told you so?"

YES, I realize NFC technology was originally developed some years ago. But giving it a proper "shakedown" in the mobile payment industry has not yet happened. A proper shakedown can only occur when a few million mobile users start to use it with regularity. Only after that can the system be judged for some semblance of reliability or security. For that to happen, there have to be some companies willing to let their mobile device customers be the first guinea pigs.... *cough* Samsung *cough*

Android NFC hack lets subway riders evade fares

Exploit beamed via NFC to hack Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android 4.0.4)

Wireless technology NFC still has a ways to go

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
[/COLOR]

Most uses for Passbook are not finance, but check-ins and coupons - things that apps have been doing for a very long time already.

Yes, it's more because it's no-brainer. Before all magazines are just apps now they have official magazine rack to sell, yet there's only around 5-10 big names in the first month. The rest is just a no name want to have some Newsstand pie.
It's finance because it involves payment. And everything involves payment will be studies carefully. How much it will be benefit? How does it evolve?
Now we are judging app in less than a month? People are now this ridiculous?

mnemonix

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
Who is responsible for the delivery of "content" in Passbook, Apple or the Vendor?

The answer is the Vendor.

Given Apple has decided to go it alone again with something entirely of their own making instead of adopting one of the admittedly new, but standard and rapidly growing technologies such as NFC I'd say it's damn well their responsibility or at least in their very best interests to get companies on board and ready for Passbook by its release, else it was going to look the ridiculous white elephant that it now does.

38? In the UK there 4, count them 4 apps available and 3 of those are foreign airlines. If they'd gone with NFC I could have used my phone at a number of places many orders of magnitude greater than this!

I stand by what I've said elsewhere, it was a low cost gimmick they rolled into iOS 6 to give them a new feature to brag about and the illusion of some kind of NFC functionality, that the competition already have.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
If Starbucks were the only one, you might have a point, but it isn't.

Half of the vendors shown in the below image are NOT currently on Passbook... including Apple!

As you said, Starbucks is not currently a vendor in Passbook, but it is clearly shown on Apple's webpage. How is that not Apple's fault? Starbucks didn't put it there.

If Starbucks had it on THEIR webpage and have been promoting it themselves fort he past few months, then they'd get the blame, but they haven't. Starbucks hasn't made any promises to the public. Apple has, and that's why they get the blame.

----------

Most uses for Passbook are not finance, but check-ins and coupons - things that apps have been doing for a very long time already... and, on those which are promised to be finance, it's still not offering anything more or different that, again, has been available and heavily tested in it's standalone app.

As Apple, it's quite easy to mockup something to show "hey, this is passbook, here's what it's capable of." It's impossible to then go "hey Starbucks, we're going to force you to implement this right now." At no point did apple say those were bonafide parts of passbook, they were just used as examples of the types of passes that could be made.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
The truth is that a service doesn't become industry standard just because it runs on the iPhone. Not anymore. Would've been great in 2009.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
It's finance because it involves payment.

Again, most uses of Passbook don't involve payment. They're used for the convenience of checking in or for offering coupons or reward cards.

Now we are judging app in less than a month? People are now this ridiculous?

When it's touted as one of the main features and the uses they demoed aren't available months later, yes.

I don't see how it's unreasonable to expect what we were shown back in June to work at launch.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
38? In the UK there 4, count them 4 apps available and 3 of those are foreign airlines. If they'd gone with NFC I could have used my phone at a number of places many orders of magnitude greater than this!

I stand by what I've said elsewhere, it was a low cost gimmick they rolled into iOS 6 to give them a new feature to brag about and the illusion of some kind of NFC functionality, that the competition already have.

This is not new. I saw people swore up and down against Newsstand but the recent number says otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.