Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
starbucks JUST updated their app (930pm EST) and added passbook. dl'ing now, and will try it tomorrow. better late than never (hey, it's only 3 days late...) :D

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
NOW what i'm waiting for:

i approach my neighborhood starbucks.
when i go inside, my drink and snack are waiting for me, and a
table is reserved...

2015??

bige12

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
Last night I added my starbucks card to passbook, and I just tried it out today, and it works. When you update the starbucks app, and the first time you open it, it will ask if you want to add you card to passbook and click ok, then it will ask for favorite stores ,so it knows when you reach that starbuck it will pop up on the screen

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
When you update the starbucks app, and the first time you open it, it will ask if you want to add you card to passbook and click ok, then it will ask for favorite stores ,so it knows when you reach that starbuck it will pop up on the screen

My office is a block away from Starbucks and when I get to work and when I'm at work all day, the Starbucks message keeps popping up on my screen.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
My office is a block away from Starbucks and when I get to work and when I'm at work all day, the Starbucks message keeps popping up on my screen.

I noticed this with my Walgreens card; my local store is at an intersection I literally HAVE to go through to get into town, so it pops up for a few seconds every day. Annoying but not as bad as yours.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
Does anyone know how to set a pin for passbook for security reasons? When I open passbook, my starbucks card is right there. It would suck to lose my phone and have my gift cards be taken too.

Magicman103

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
Simple solution

Does anyone know how to set a pin for passbook for security reasons? When I open passbook, my starbucks card is right there. It would suck to lose my phone and have my gift cards be taken too.

I don't think that the app has a password setting. If we use the same logic as our normal wallet.. there is no lock, password or secret code on our wallet... If we lose our wallet, people have access to a lot more. I suggest that you put a password on your phone to unlock it

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
tried this today...
had an appointment in brooklyn, set the nearest starbucks as a 'favorite' in the starbucks APP.

got there. went in. got on line. when i got to the teller, opened passbook and used the card.

THEN...by the time i sat down, that store popped up on the lockscreen.
so...a little sluggish this time, but seems to work. i can swipe from the lockscreen straight to the card in passbook.

next time, i guess...

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
I don't think that the app has a password setting. If we use the same logic as our normal wallet.. there is no lock, password or secret code on our wallet... If we lose our wallet, people have access to a lot more. I suggest that you put a password on your phone to unlock it

Well then F the passbook app. The starbucks app has a passcode.

And I don't use my phone as a wallet. I don't know how you can, as it has no NFC. As for banking information, you have to enter a password to log in.

hepcat72

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2010
The point of Passbook?

So I finally got the starbucks app configured today, after trying to use it 4 times. I still don't get the purpose of passbook.

Here's what I thought it would do: Apple knows my CC. I thought I could connect a Starbucks card with passbook and it would use my CC on file with Apple to pay for my latte.

I figured out I could generate a Starbucks card using the Starbucks app, so I installed that, and got it set up. During the process, the Starbucks app asked for my CC. I put it in and I thought it would be automatically connected to passbook. I thought that was weird that I needed to enter my CC in the Starbucks app when Apple already has my CC, but whatever.

I thought then that it was somehow using passbook behind the scenes to generate the barcode that comes up when I click "Pay" in the Starbucks app. But then I noticed that there is a "connect to passbook" button in the starbucks app, so I did that, but then... WTH is the point of Passbook?

The Starbucks app was already notifying me when I came near the store. It offered me coupons and such. It was generating a barcode. I didn't have to get a physical card.

Apple's not using my CC to pay via passbook. I just don't see what benefit there is to connecting to passbook when the Starbucks app seems to do everything that I read that passbook claims to do... Am I missing something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.