Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Yes, Sunnymew.
I know all about how the wake lock feature works.
I have been using last years Smart Cover and case since I got my air 2.
------

Uggg, just got to work and the next surprise is, only the official lightning usb cable will fit the port.
My official extended adapter from Apple doesn't fit and neither does a Belkin one.
Not even a prayer of fitting.
It was tight on the Smart Case for Air 1, but it would fit.

I'm kind of shocked at the great reviews here. If you asked me what it was worth, I would have said, maybe $10.
I guess $20 lesson learned.

yeah I just got mine too. It has a couple imperfections and is imo noticeably different from the official case. For a "leather" case that fits pretty well its not bad. The fuzz on the cover portion is much thinner/rougher than both the official smart cover/case. From far away I guess its close though. I guess I feel like this is more of a 10 case than a 20..15 would be better maybe. Lol it doesn't even fit the official apple lightning cable. I sent sunny a message

Last edited:

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
Ok, I sent my second message to sunny after no response.
I would like to hear from her/them before officially asking for a refund and posting a review.
The last thing I want to do is ship this thing back to China.

I normally would appreciate that this is basically a knock off but when the sleep/wake feature is mentioned in her listing about 20 times, I think I have a valid issue.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
I would like to hear from her/them before officially asking for a refund and posting a review.

I normally would appreciate that this is basically a knock off but when the sleep/wake feature is mentioned in her listing about 20 times, I think I have a valid issue.

yours is a valid issue as well as mine which doesn't fit the official oem charge (mfg issues aside). Sigh, times like these I regret purchasing overseas.

I sent him emails both through ebay and to the paypal account email (gmail). Let's see what he says...

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
What colour did you guys get? I ask because I got two from different sellers and they are very similar but one feels less premium than the other. I wonder if the colour has any impact or if they are from different sources.
In my experience, the lightning connector fits perfectly and the auto lock works without issue. I'll need to double check the other case when I am home tonight. Seems other people have had zero issues so there is definitely some variance going on.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
What colour did you guys get? I ask because I got two from different sellers and they are very similar but one feels less premium than the other. I wonder if the colour has any impact or if they are from different sources.
In my experience, the lightning connector fits perfectly and the auto lock works without issue. I'll need to double check the other case when I am home tonight. Seems other people have had zero issues so there is definitely some variance going on.

not surprising considering the price involved. Mine is red.

in pictures vs your black they look similar, but maybe I was too optimistic about what to expect from the more premium (more expensive) chinese knock off.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Out of the two that I got, Blue felt more premium over the black version and they were from two different sellers. Not sure if the colour is relevant or not.
The fit on both are excellent but I haven't tried the autolock or lightning connector on the black model, purely because I stuck with the blue. I'll check these tonight and feedback.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Out of the two that I got, Blue felt more premium over the black version and they were from two different sellers. Not sure if the colour is relevant or not.
The fit on both are excellent but I haven't tried the autolock or lightning connector on the black model, purely because I stuck with the blue. I'll check these tonight and feedback.

weird..the us version of the pricier version looks like the cheaper version you purchased. I believe i'm the only one who's lightning connector doesn't line up.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Just tried out the other case and it works fine with the auto lock and lightning connector. In fact, this one has slightly more room around the lightning port than the blue case.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Looking at the stock numbers on the two black iPad Air Smart Cases that I picked up last night -

MF051ZM/A - picture of a black case on the back
MF051LL/A - picture of a butterscotch colored case on the back of that one

Both cases that I have look the same.

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Looking at the stock numbers on the two black iPad Air Smart Cases that I picked up last night -

MF051ZM/A - picture of a black case on the back
MF051LL/A - picture of a butterscotch colored case on the back of that one

Both cases that I have look the same.

Just look at the picture of the the iPad on the back of the box. If it has two rows of speaker holes, its an iPad Air 1 case. If it has one row of speaker holes, its an iPad Air 2 case. (Assuming these are real cases bought from a retailer)

----------

hmm sounds like a defect. I bought a black one from sunnymew as well. Sleep/Wake function works fine. The original lightning cable also fits fine.

Only issue is some earphones are a very tight fit/won't fit.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
hmm sounds like a defect. I bought a black one from sunnymew as well. Sleep/Wake function works fine. The original lightning cable also fits fine.

Only issue is some earphones are a very tight fit/won't fit.

Yep, maybe maybe mine came from a bad run, or the dude on the assembly line forgot to put the magnets in, or something.

I now have 2 unanswered emails from Sunnymew. I have no idea what to do.
I can put in for a refund with ebay but I don't want any part of shipping back to Hong Kong.
I can accept the bad case and write a review that details the issue and that I received no communication but want to see what she/they do first.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Yep, maybe maybe mine came from a bad run, or the dude on the assembly line forgot to put the magnets in, or something.

I now have 2 unanswered emails from Sunnymew. I have no idea what to do.
I can put in for a refund with ebay but I don't want any part of shipping back to Hong Kong.
I can accept the bad case and write a review that details the issue and that I received no communication but want to see what she/they do first.

he only responded to me after submitting through paypal. As stated earlier I sent to both emails first and he did not respond. I took the refund as I'm not in the mood to wait 2 weeks to send it back to China then another 2 weeks for it to be reshipped.

From the glowing reviews here I expected it to be a slimmer air 2 case with slightly crappier leather...but thats not what I received at all.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
he only responded to me after submitting through paypal. As stated earlier I sent to both emails first and he did not respond. I took the refund as I'm not in the mood to wait 2 weeks to send it back to China then another 2 weeks for it to be reshipped.

From the glowing reviews here I expected it to be a slimmer air 2 case with slightly crappier leather...but thats not what I received at all.

I'm not sure I am following.
Where you given the option of the refund?
What steps should I take?
Straight to paypal, or via ebay or both?
Let me know,
Thanks.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
I'm not sure I am following.
Where you given the option of the refund?
What steps should I take?
Straight to paypal, or via ebay or both?
Let me know,
Thanks.

it's in an email from sunny himself..only after I officially went through ebay.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
it's in an email from sunny himself..only after I officially went through ebay.

Ok.
So in eBay, I select "Product not as described"
It says, ask for a refund.
That then goes to Sunny?

Thanks,
----
Update, it seems the only option that I see is request a return (which is what I don't want to do).
Do I need to go through that to get Sunny to email me back?

Last edited:

dickydoo

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
Just received my midnight blue iPad air 2 case from sunnymew, and I'm happy with what I got for the price paid. All the holes line up, and while the lightning port hole is too small for my Monoprice cable, it fits the genuine Apple one fine. The magnet activates the iPad properly and the fit is great.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
I'm quite satisfied with the genuine Apple case in black leather. Very good.

Same. Picked the up Genuine red Apple smart case from Best Buy. Loving the stronger magnets compared to my iPad 3's Smart Cover.

No issues, works perfectly. Worth the $80, even if just for not having to deal the BS of the risk of getting a cheap dysfunctional case. The materials are high quality.

Also, considering that my spigen neo hybrid for my 6 Plus was $35, $80 for a a device 3 times the size made of genuine leather isn't a bad deal.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I just received mine in the mail today and I'm throughly impressed. At first, I was taken back because you can't fold the lid back flat in a way that I could grip and hold iPad in left hand, BUT the lid adheres to the back with no problem and those magnets are nice and strong. I can live with that. The lip is a non -issue with me and it just feels…really nice. The fit and coverage is top notch and I won't need another case. Also, I like the way the lid stays shut and doesn't move around. Strong magnets and premium feel.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Same. Picked the up Genuine red Apple smart case from Best Buy. Loving the stronger magnets compared to my iPad 3's Smart Cover.

No issues, works perfectly. Worth the $80, even if just for not having to deal the BS of the risk of getting a cheap dysfunctional case. The materials are high quality.

Also, considering that my spigen neo hybrid for my 6 Plus was $35, $80 for a a device 3 times the size made of genuine leather isn't a bad deal.

once you've tried the real thing the cheaper case is...much cheaper feeling, but you have to ask yourself if that bothers you. You can also wait to get the official case cheaper during the staples/bb clearance anyways. I think its worth it vs having to deal with overseas return and ebay...though they resolved it for me here.

Ok.
So in eBay, I select "Product not as described"
It says, ask for a refund.
That then goes to Sunny?

Thanks,
----
Update, it seems the only option that I see is request a return (which is what I don't want to do).
Do I need to go through that to get Sunny to email me back?

do it through the official case system in ebay. Assuming you have documented it through pics and such ebay will help you with that. Sunny has only responded when ebay is involved in my case...not before. Ebay resolved this for me as I said earlier. I will stay official cases from now on as $70/80 won't bankrupt me. I may try the khomo mod later on as others have done with the smart cover.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
once you've tried the real thing the cheaper case is...much cheaper feeling, but you have to ask yourself if that bothers you. You can also wait to get the official case cheaper during the staples/bb clearance anyways. I think its worth it vs having to deal with overseas return and ebay...though they resolved it for me here.

do it through the official case system in ebay. Assuming you have documented it through pics and such ebay will help you with that. Sunny has only responded when ebay is involved in my case...not before. Ebay resolved this for me as I said earlier. I will stay official cases from now on as $70/80 won't bankrupt me. I may try the khomo mod later on as others have done with the smart cover.

I just did the request for return option, which is the only one.
I have to wait until the 21st to see if Sunny contacts me, which I expect him not to. Hasn't answered a single one from me yet.
Ebay didn't ask for any pictures, and in my case, you can't tell from a picture.
A video would be better.

Any link to this mod? Might make the case useful after all.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
I just did the request for return option, which is the only one.
I have to wait until the 21st to see if Sunny contacts me, which I expect him not to. Hasn't answered a single one from me yet.
Ebay didn't ask for any pictures, and in my case, you can't tell from a picture.
A video would be better.

Any link to this mod? Might make the case useful after all.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20316583/

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
Sunny finally contacted me (said they sent me a reply on the 15th but I never saw it).
Anyway, he made it right, refunded my money and no need to return the case.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I cannot distinguish the difference in sizes of cases but believe that it's been updated accordingly. I do recognize and appreciate the smaller things such as the more pronounced lip which hugs the iPad and doesn't flex near the flap like previous versions. Also, how the lip keeps the hands farther off the bezel and screen in a way that's far from uncomfortable. The lid snaps shut and stays shut firmly and I also appreciate that touch as well. Once closed, the iPad is pretty much sealed on all sides and makes the purchase feel worth it. If you're going to pay a premium price for a premium device then might as well have a case that's made for it and is real leather. I'm very much pleased with mine. It's black.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Sunny finally contacted me (said they sent me a reply on the 15th but I never saw it).
Anyway, he made it right, refunded my money and no need to return the case.

Result. Shame the case didn't work out for you as it did for myself. Seems there is a lot of variance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.