Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magnetic_electrique

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
Chicago
I bought my iPhone 15 Pro Max less than two weeks ago and noticed a small chip on the left side. I’m a little paranoid the black titanium will start to chip even more. I’m still under the return window, but I don’t want to play the lottery game and get something worse. I traded in my iPhone 14 Pro Max also. Curious to see how everyone’s iPhones are holding up.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpeg
    IMG_0046.jpeg
    521.1 KB · Views: 1,199
Reactions: alamperti

magnetic_electrique

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
Chicago
I thought it was a speck of dust at first, but I took off my Apple clear case and the spot remained. Part of me feels the chip was always there and I didn’t notice it. I know, scratches happen, and I don’t think this warrants going through a return/exchange.

jajo.j

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2023
I went with the natural titanium for exactly this reason - I am concerned that the darker colors will have issues with chipping and visible scratches.

I actually had an accident with my phone the other day when I fell from the bike and landed directly on the phone that was inside my pocket on hard asphalt. Parts of the titanium frame were scratched and also the camera module. Impressively, the scratches have exactly the same color as the titanium and are barely visible.

I would strongly advice to go for this color if you are worried.

(Luckily I have Apple Care and already had a new device ordered for camera focus issues so I am just waiting for the new device to arrive)

Last edited:

magnetic_electrique

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
Chicago
I went with the natural titanium for exactly this reason - I am concerned that the darker colors will have issues with chipping and visible scratches.

I actually had an accident with my phone the other day when I fell from the bike and landed directly on the phone that was inside my pocket on hard asphalt. Parts of the titanium frame were scratched and also the camera module. Impressively, the scratches have exactly the same color as the titanium and are barely visible.

I would strongly advice to go for this color if you are worried.

(Luckily I have Apple Care and already had a new device ordered for camera focus issues so I am just waiting for the new device to arrive)
I’m torn honestly. My concern is if no Apple Stores have the natural titanium color in stock. What do I do then. What happens with my iPhone that I traded in almost 2 weeks ago also. I have AppleCare as well.

magnetic_electrique

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
Chicago
Natural seems to be the way to go. I love the black titanium color. No Apple Stores have the color in stock near me. I’m going to an Apple Store this weekend to exchange my device. If no natural is in stock then, I’ll end up exchanging it for the same color. At least that way it will be chip free. I would feel different about the chip if I caused it.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I got a White Titanium 3 weeks ago, not sure how much coating etc…they had to do on these ones but mine looks brand new, not a single scratch, I keep it in a clear case.

jajo.j

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2023
I’m torn honestly. My concern is if no Apple Stores have the natural titanium color in stock. What do I do then. What happens with my iPhone that I traded in almost 2 weeks ago also. I have AppleCare as well.

Perhaps you can return the black one within the "no questions asked"-period and get a second hand cheap iPhone to use until the Natural Titanium returns in stock?

Another option is to look for the white one, it is probably less prone to visible scuffs or scratches.

Sethguil

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2022
I’ve had my since launch naked. I have the black one too and I don’t have a single micro scratch on the screen or body. I was scared to go screen protectorless for the first time but this glass is actually holding up just fine

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
My 15 Pro Natural Titanium has been in a Finewoven case the entire time (no scratches at all), but looks like a portion of the titanium color is lighter.

Last edited:

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
My 15 Pro Natural Titanium has been in a Finewoven case the entire time (no scratches at all), but looks like a portion of the titanium color has rubbed off the side near the 5G mmWave cutout.
Interesting….Can you share a pic?

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
Not a Pro here but a regular black 15. Dinged up the frame a bit earlier this year, this matte back really is slippery lol. I wouldn't worry about chipping of the sides. Pretty much all iPhones chip there especially the darker colors. Hide it in a case, the midframe is not too hard nor expensive to replace when it starts looking too bad.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
Launch day 15PM natural is perfectly fine. It’s been in an Apple silicone case since it came out of the box.

Jaymoaz

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2023
I got the white titanium Pro Max 3 weeks ago returned the original one I bought because the back panel was misaligned with the side frames of the phone so the edges felt sharp and not smooth as the display models did at the store. They gave me a replacement 12 pro max white as well. Brand new condition still caseless since I got it dropped it twice no scuffs or scratches but put a screen protector on if because i noticed very fine and hard to see scratches on the screen. Still a great phone though debating if I should get apple care+…

rorydaredking

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2014
Black 15PM. Small nick on the sim tray but not the body around it which is strange. Screen covered in micro scratches and 3 surface scratches.

Had a silver 12PM before this, was in an apple leather case for its entire 3 years. The sides of it are absolutely screwed from tiny grains of dirt between case and edge, and I found screen protectors to either wear out incredibly quickly (thin ones) or smash with tiny impacts (tempered). So I decided with this one to go for no case and no SP.

Time will tell but at the end of the day it's a phone not a piece of jewellery. Pay for AC+ so if the screen smashes or something I'll get a swap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.